U.S. Department of Commerce
76Above average

U.S. Department of Commerce Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA75 reviews
Overall Great
I truly love working for all the people in my office, I am only seeking a job elsewhere because I want to expand my investigative skills. I work regular daytime hours but I am always available if and when they need me.
challenging
Learned lot about working in different System to check data flow. Enjoying working with different Team. Learned how to work in critical situation. Learned how census 2020 works real time.
Interesting environment
Great place to work..recently hiring more diverse folks and people from the outside. The earlier culture was very clique like. I encouraged diversity
It seemed to be a non-inclusive culture. The work is tedious computer oriented more clerical than lawyer-like
I had the opportunity to have worked at the Trademark Examining operation at the PTO during three (3) different iterations spanning many years. As my first legal position in 1978 it was a wonderful working environment. Peopke enjoyed their work in a very positive environment that fostered good relations with colleagues and very helpful to applicants. Later not good.
Productive and very fun place to work
Great place to work!

Just remember if you're a contractor, you're not a federal employee and over the years the company has become more divided.

It's hard to get a federal position if you don't have any personal connections.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Great place to work!
Awesome work environment. Many amenities that promote a positive work/life balance! Very much a family feel, I’d be happy to return in the future. Apply!
Police Officer
By far the worst and most incompetent and absolutely zero qualified management in the federal government. Leadership in the police group has ZERO police experience and yet put into these high salary positions which they are grossly unqualified for. Culture of retaliation and corruption in management. Over 1 million dollars in salary between 5 worthless managers that do absolutely nothing all day long
Stat driven and felt just like a number
Forced to work 12 hours and increased an additional 12 hours after more personnel.
Expected certain number of checks per shift, would like more only to have management look good not the officer.

Lack of communication
VERY POOR and unfair "management"
I applied for this job in 2000. "Management" promised that I would be a supervisor in a city not far by bus. "Management" LIED to me. "Management" never delivered on their promise. I never obtained even one hour of work.
New P: In December, 2009, I took the test and it was easy. However, some bureaucrat who only stared at a computer only credited me with 23 of 28 correct. I know that I completed all correctly as I had time to double check.

New P: In 2010, they did not call me. Work began on January 6. I had to go in in June, 2010 to demand that they allow me to work that I was hired for. The supervisor on this job on Liberia Avenue, Manassas, Virginia, was very rude, inconsistent with instructions, set impossible deadlines and pretended that all of the employees needed to work faster. Some of the employees were very unfriendly, but were not fired. One slandered me for no reason at all. Another was a fanatic abortion { mass murder } advocate and gave foolish, proven outmoded arguments for committing mass murder.
Great Place to wrok
It's an ideal place to work. They offer telework options that help with work-life balance. There is plenty of opportunities to take advantage of if you are willing to learn new skills and sharpen current skills.
Good work life balance
contract assignment, not enough work to put together a review be it positive or negative. Maybe at a later time when and if I'm employed with them again when I
Pros
weekly compensation
Cons
no benefits
Good
It’s always good to work for the government and it broadens who you are and what you are becoming. Advancement opportunities are endless, apply and move forward
Mission-focused company
Management and employees were strongly committed to living and executing the mission of the agency. I was privileged to work with such talented and dedicated individuals that worked extremely well in a team environment.
Prejudice
Poor Management only advance to goverment if you are a man. No taken serious if you are a woman. Or would have to have Commerce experience before even being acknowledged.
productive workplace
i typically read through a few scientific papers to start the day then compared the lists of cited sources to find the most frequently cited papers which i would then request. I would repeat this everyday with the goal of compiling a database of relevant scientific papers.
Great Team Work
A typical day at work involves, reviewing budget documents to ensure applications are in accordance with the program. Working with team to review complex grant issues, fun relaxing environment. Management is easy to talk and promotes growth.
Excellent leadership from the top down, plenty of opportunity for self improvement.
I had a positive experience with this company before I even began my employment, my supervisor was excited and enthustic, and stayed in communication with my while my paperwork was processed. There's an excellent culture of respect and they provide many excellent resources to their employees.
Open
This is a good job if you are organized and don't mind repete contacts to complete the process. I have only worked here for a few months. I get to go out and meet nice people and help the community get tax money for the schools and hospitals .
Pros
pays for travel and meals when travel is required
Cons
have to deal with people and there availability
Good internship
Simple and straight forward work. They trained me, and then let me do it for 6 months, during which my team of 4 interns fell down to 3, and we completed 3 years worth of back logging into the modern ESRI systems NOAA is currently running.
Pros
Good people, friendly environment
Cons
Internships aren't paid
Stressful work environment, poor management support, undervalued, and unappreciated. So many changes occurring and not to many things run smoothly. Proceed with caution. NOAA (WFMO).
Pros
Some nice people
Cons
People are rude and disrespectful and just expect so much
Glad to be a part of the agency
Enjoyed the work, my co-workers and was happy to contribute to supporting the agency's mission as a contractor. There was always a chance to shine and take initiative
Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Department of Commerce. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.7
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
2.8Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight