U.S. Department of Commerce Employee Reviews

Productive and fun work place
GIS TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Pago Pago, ASMay 22, 2018
Worked for the Department of Commerce for more than 13 years really helped me my career life. Learned a lot of new skills in using different software and programs to help grow the company
This is too long ago honestly
International Economist and Trade Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 22, 2018
Commerce was a job I took while waiting to the CIA to get me on board. But it was rife with politics to the extreme and morale was bad. That said I took what I could from it and learned from it. It is still hard to talk much detail about a job from 1994.
Good internship
Hydrographic Survey Technician (Former Employee) –  Solomons, MDMay 21, 2018
I interned with NOAA and I really enjoyed it. It’s a great way to get your foot in the door and I believe that my time spent there provided me with a strong background that allowed me to advance in my career.
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 17, 2018
Great place to work.... I wish this job had more permanent job openings. The work environment is very helpful and supportive. The pay matched the type of work you had to do.
Intelligent work environment
Patent Examiner (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 16, 2018
The US Department of Commerce has an intelligent work force and a great learning environment. I learned a great deal working here. However, production timelines can be stressful.
The department is indeed a productive and fun place to work. However, the challenge and what was most important for me was healthcare
Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  United States, Washington DC, Philadelphia, PAMay 16, 2018
The United States Department is a productive place to work and provides job stability. However, opportunity to grow and benefits were the challenges most employees faced.
Pros
Job stability
Cons
Healthcare challenges and issues
great internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 15, 2018
Highly recommend for an internship. You will learn a lot and understand how our government works. I got the best manager and loved the chance to collaborate.
Productive and friendly working enviroment
Partnership Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 15, 2018
The work of the Census Bureau is important to each community of the United States: each State, County and city that depends on the federal funding for every 10 years. Accurate information gathered determines the amount of funds and the number of elected officials representing their constituents especially in the hard to count populations.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Termination of jobs
Good work environment
Emergency Response Program Coordinator (O4 Billet) (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MD 20910May 14, 2018
I held two jobs within the Department of Commerce. Generally it was an excellent place to work. There were a few managers that shouldn't have been put into their positions. Yet, overall the organization focuses on excellence and creating a good working environment.
different for everyone
Field Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 13, 2018
Like anything experiences vary based on ones individual experiences. Where you work, with whom you work, your working group all have an impact on your experience.
productive
Field Representative (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXMay 11, 2018
excellent job for the us commerce. I learned to be team player to communicate with others and to be a self starter. the workplace is very independent because you work at your own space.
Office Automation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMay 3, 2018
A very good place to work. A lot of science and technology experience. Great campus with a quality work environment. Conducive to productivity and creativity.
It was good to work there
Crew Leader (NRFU and VDC (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 3, 2018
Through the 2010 Census it was actually fun to work with the people there. They were helpful, courteous and kind. I didn't meet anyone there who complained.
Pros
working
Cons
under a deadline made things challenging but fun
Great Job
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 2, 2018
Busy but rewarding. Great job, great people and great management.
I only left because, after 35 years of Federal Government Service, I retired. If part time employment were available I would still be there.
Government Office Setting
International Trade Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 2, 2018
I was a non-paid intern at this job. It was a great opportunity for me to get experience in my area of study (International Relations/Business). The San Francisco Office was easily accessible through public transportation.
Pros
Good Experience
Cons
Only an Internship
ok to work as a field rep if you want extra money.
Field Representative (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAMay 2, 2018
i worked remote. so i made my own schedule. but you had to make sure that you completed in the specified time frame. I learned the pathways and inner workings of the hospitals and doctors office. The hardest part was getting the doctors to participate.
Pros
setting on schedule
Cons
not enough billable hours
Interesting Patent Applications, a lot to learn
Patent Examiner, Electrical Engineering (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 30, 2018
The good: flexible hours and work schedule (subject to your supervisor's approval), paid government holidays, paid snow days, and interesting applications to examine.

The not-so-good:The standard of work approval is so subjective - hardly any checks and balances to ensure examiners within similar technology areas are reviewed fairly. You either luck out with someone who is willing to train you and help you, or you're stuck with a reviewer that doesn't know how to train you and you're left wasting your time trying to meet their ridiculous standards.
Pros
flexible hours and work schedule
Cons
your success is determined on the quality of your trainer/reviewer
Temporary position for Census
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 19, 2018
Temporary position for Census. There was lots of footwork. Went door-to-door to conducting a physical count. Job ended after counting was completed.
positive work environment
U,S,Census Bureau (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 15, 2018
This was a great job because I worked from home.This was a temporary job.Communication from manager was not always timely and clear.Staff was eager to work with.
Pros
working at home
Cons
ineffective leadership
productive and competetive workplace
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 11, 2018
I really enjoyed working at the U.S. Dept of Commerce however the pay and the Lack of advancement was really something that was really hard to accomplish due to the fact that we were funded by grants of the federal government .
Pros
Pay and benefits are great
Cons
Funded by grants example the federal government