U.S. Department of Commerce Employee Reviews

Best place to work
IT Operations and Maintenance Software Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 18, 2019
Great atmosphere, builds up individuals to be leaders and creates a a playing field to grown in your profession. Always exposes you to new technology!
Trust was Broken and it’s just not worth it.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 17, 2019
You work here and put up with the pain and anguish of poor management and non-sensical rules because you have a steady and “guaranteed” pay check to take care of your family. Then the government shuts down. Good bye!
Uspto
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 16, 2019
People are great, and the job is very interesting. I would love to work there but the commute was too much for me living near Baltimore. At the time they were going through a re-organization and it made more sense to find a job closer to home.
Pros
Great place
Cons
Commute
Great Team Work
Grants Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJanuary 15, 2019
A typical day at work involves, reviewing budget documents to ensure applications are in accordance with the program. Working with team to review complex grant issues, fun relaxing environment. Management is easy to talk and promotes growth.
professional organization and unique fulfilling mission and opportunities
Financial Analyst / Investigator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 9, 2019
The Department of Commerce offers meaningful opportunities, a friendly work environment, and the opportunities to work independently. There is a path to low six-figure salary in non-supervisory positions, potential but competitive opportunities for six-figure lower level management positions after only a few years. They offer good benefits, flexible work schedules, teleworking, and travel opportunities. However, there is low management and non-management turnover, which limits promotion opportunities, Decisions a can be influenced by policy, legal strategy, and judicial review. Communication and management efficiency can be lacking and disorganized. There are too many red tape managerial controls, The legal oversight environment can be frustrating, and can create a very involved and critical review process. Managers are too caught up in behind the scenes meetings and administrative tasks. Much of your time will be spent writing about agency decisions, rather than collecting information to make decisions, helping to make decisions, or implementing decisions.
Pros
A path to low six-figure salary in non-supervisory positions, potential but competitive opportunities for six-figure lower level management positions, good benefits, flexible work schedules and teleworking, travel opportunities
Cons
low management and non-management turnover limits promotion opportunities, decisions can be influenced by policy legal strategy and judicial review, communication and management efficiency can be lacking and disorganized, too many red tape managerial controls, legal oversight can be frustrating and can create a very involved and critical review process, managers are too caught up in behind the scenes meetings and administrative tasks
We would Friday pot luck Fridays every other week which was a good morale function.
Local Census Office Manager for America's (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJanuary 8, 2019
As manager for the Long Beach CA office I had the best Census office in the Los Angeles County area. All of my staff was very professional and worked well as a team to accomplish the mission.
Pros
Corporate was very helpfull and was always there for assistane.
Cons
Was very satified with all aspects of the job and had no derragitoy ploblems.
Cool
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 4, 2019
it was lenient and pretty straight foward just a office job. Just a bunch of papers you do a lot of data entry and no one really monitors you. Pretty laid back.
Very small unit
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 2, 2019
This office dealt with vessels. Very slow office and a lot of down time. No room for growth in the clerical field. One clerk typist and one secretary. The entire building was quiet and not so friendly
Pros
location close to subway and shops
Cons
traffic was horrible, subway late
Excellent work force of people with lots of past experience.
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Vista, CADecember 22, 2018
I have worked for the Department of Commerce in different positions: Recruiter, Admin Clerk, Customer Service and Quality Control.

My favorite position was as Recruiter where I was able to interface with NGO's and Civic Governments (Councils) to explain the purposes of the US Census, and also to arrange meeting locations where I could interview, test and recruit prospective employees.

I traveled a lot but the effort was rewarding as I was able to help many people obtain employment.
Pros
Met lots of interesting people. Able to help many people.
Cons
None.
Understanding government
Legal Instrument Examiner (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 17, 2018
Meeting dead lines, customers service representative and being on time . Understanding job functions ability to be able to communicate with people which I am a people person
Pros
Salary increase
Cons
1hr breaks

Want to know more about U.S. Department of Commerce?

Ask a question
Very productive, typical office space.
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 14, 2018
All employees received metro benefits which really helped me with costly transportation. The daily tasks and workload were divided pretty evenly among the office so I did not feel as if I were being drowned in work, nor did I have too much free time.
Pros
Free breakfast in break room
Great contract job
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 12, 2018
Good way to earn a substantial money in a limited amount of time. Very fast paced and enjoyable. You get to meet a lot of different people. Downside is only limited to 1 contract every 10 years.
Pros
Fast paced, fun
Cons
Short term
fun work place
Patent Examiner (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VADecember 11, 2018
I was working for Department of Commerce as a patent examiner for almost 3 years.
I was very fortunate to work with a wonderful team.
As a result we grew significantly as a team and received multiple promotions in our career with us patent office.
Pros
job security
Cons
heavy work load
Government work
Communications Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VADecember 10, 2018
Of the several agencies I've worked at, DOC has been the best so far. But, at the end of the day, it's still government. Stability and consistency, but limited room for growth and heavy bureaucracy.
Survey Statistician (Former Employee) –  Suitland, MDDecember 3, 2018
I loved it there. A great place to work.The people were very professional and great at what they do.I learned so much of what the Census Bureaus mission was all about.
Pros
people I worked with
Cons
The eb and flow of the work day.
Would have been beneficial (only worked thre one year)
Technical Writer/Editor- Office (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 25, 2018
contract had several personnel in positions, but work plan did not meet its expectations- contract placed personnel in two places, and after a year of employment, a reduction in manpower took place
Pros
friendly atmosphere
Good place to be employed
Lead Secretary (OA) (Current Employee) –  Suitland, MD 20746November 23, 2018
I am surrounded by good people to work with and work for. I have been here at my job for a very long time so I have seen a lot, it has not been perfect but all in all a good agency to work for.
Pros
Commute
Cons
Only stayed as an intern
U.S. Trade Internship (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLNovember 21, 2018
Good place to learn and interact with different types of businesses. I had a great team supporting me and teaching me as much as they could before I left my internship.
Travel and Meet New People
Field Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 17, 2018
When you work for the Census Bureau you will get to travel your county and surrounding counties. It gives you the opportunity to meet new people in your area, and learn about your counties. It has flexible hours of work. Great place to work.
A nice place to focus on work
Patent Examiner (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 15, 2018
If you are not working at home, plan on all day, every day, in a windowless room. It is not a bad way to work, since concentration on the tasks are essential.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Burn out is a real problem