U.S. Department of Commerce Employee Reviews

Glad to be a part of the agency
Program / Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJuly 11, 2018
Enjoyed the work, my co-workers and was happy to contribute to supporting the agency's mission as a contractor. There was always a chance to shine and take initiative
working here is fun
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 2, 2018
it so much fun so because it like a work at PTO is great and want to be able to do work so I be able to work regular hour more hour so I do able to get more money.
Pros
more hours
Intern Job
Application Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 1, 2018
My position was an Application Clerk, patent clerk and receptionist . This was work program job that I greatly enjoyed. I was able to work in between college breaks. No benefits was offered due to it being an intern job. There was great Managers and and great colleagues at this job. This would have been a job that I would have loved to have retired from. Received a certificate of Good Job Performance while work there.
fun work, good people
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 30, 2018
The job was only for about 6 months, but it was fun and laid back. Good supervisors, let you do your job. Outstanding co-workers, clean and well kept areas to work in.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
only temporary
innovative teamwork
Senior Contract Specialist/Team Lead (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 27, 2018
I work on a team where shared knowledge is valued. With a varying backgrounds, mentoring the junior-level and middle-level Contract Specialists and even Contracting Officers are daily duties. Occasionally, Contracting Officer Representatives (COR) must be reminded of their delegation authorities, as to what is/is not their COR delegation authorities directing first to their delegation letters.

Daily, I try to see and find the value in everyone. Mostly, I try have the team and/or peers to see their own valued-added to projects that were positively re-shaped or pushed forward to completion.

There is a way to mentor, train, and educate a team and individual peers to be equipped, esteemed, and encouraged without them feeling put-upons or belittled. The outcome results can be win-wins.

A satisfied team or peer is the firm foundation which solid blocks are built.
Pros
acceptable innovations
Cons
in renovated building
Very interesting job
Census Worker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 25, 2018
It was enjoyable to learn how the census process works. I have worked with census 3 times since 1999, and i have learned a lot about the county I live in.
Pros
Fun people to work with.
Cons
Living in a rural area, with a lot of drugs being a problem, i feel it is unsafe now to go door to door and not have a gun pointed at you.
Prodcutive place to work.
Deputy Director of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 25, 2018
Department of Commerce offered a good workplace. I learned a lot from my manager and was able to sharpen my management skills. Overall, I was also able to coach and develop my team to achieve objectives in alliance with the mission.
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Too subjective decision making
State of Alaska is one of the better places to work
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKJune 24, 2018
You were always met with a smile, customer or employee. Customer Service was always available over the phone, email, or in person. Licenses were processed in a timely manner. The stuffing envelope parties were always fun and a place where employees could gather and have social time.
Pros
excellent co-workers, friendly atmosphere, lunch cafe on 8th floor
Patent Extern in Tech Center 2100 (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 22, 2018
united states patent and trademark is located in Alexandria. it is one of the biggest office in old town Alexandria. It has relax and comfortable environment. great place to work. flexible hours. paid holiday. private office.
Great Company
DevOps Engineer (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJune 21, 2018
All and all, it has been a great experience in the private sector. There was definitely a lot of growth and a lot to learn in order to excel in this environment. Great company , Great People.

Want to know more about U.S. Department of Commerce?

Ask a question
Great way to make extra money and meet different people
CREW LEADER ASST/QUALITY CONTROL (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MS 39213June 20, 2018
This was a great job given the opportunity to meet different people as week to help your community by providing an accurate census count. Hours are flexible. with great pay.
Pros
Great pay; Flexible Hours
Cons
Not long term
A cool job
DECKHAND (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 19, 2018
The boat I was on went from the Canadian border to the Mexican border 2 years in a row, the first ship I was on went to the Bahamas, Honduras. I learned a lot about working on ships and it was fun to travel.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Away from home a lot
Part-time flexible hours.
Trainer, Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLJune 18, 2018
Excellent work helping our Government assess our population. Nice combination of tasks with specialized training. Totally committed team members with willingness to go the extra mile.
Pros
Work near home.
Cons
None.
not applicable
Legal Documents Review Clerk, (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 16, 2018
and updating data and creating statistical reports using the Salesforce database, and identifying and interviewing qualified candidates for our program. I have been providing support to executives since my first professional job at the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office. In that capacity, I prepared reports for senior management, made travel arrangements, planned for meetings and served as the liaison between division leaders and government contractors.
Exciting and Rapid-Paced Working Environment
Trademark Attorney (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 15, 2018
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office is a demanding working environment handling hundreds of thousands of files and applications yearly. The work involves all aspects of trademark law, domestic and international, as well as TTAB work.

The most enjoyable parts of the job are applying the Trademark Act of 1946 to applications and before the TTAB, helping copious applicants and attorneys expedite the registration of marks, if possible.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Excellent Healthcare
Cons
Low Salaries
good
Public Affairs Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 13, 2018
My supervisor was great and so were my other colleagues, very relaxed and soothing environment. Mostly administrative duties and public relations work
Pros
nice office
Cons
if youre interning from outside D.C> e.g. from NY
Good Atmosphere and excellent team
Trade Assistant - Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Middletown, CTJune 9, 2018
The Department of Commerce (DoC) is a faced paced constantly changing job that requires learning new skills on the fly to adapt to rapidly changing requirements. The team at the DoC is well versed in their positions and the job and the focus of the team is a reflection of solid teamwork and communication.
Pros
Excellent team, strong support network
flexible hours and at your own pace
Crew Chief Tampa Bay Area (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 8, 2018
Performed supervisor and entry-level work as Crew Chief. Worked individually and with crews in canvassing/enumeration of populace in Tampa Bay area.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
work in weather
work life
Intern (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 7, 2018
everyone is very nice there and the diversity is amazing. always meet a lot of new and interesting people from all over the world with all sorts of backgrounds.
production orinted company
Patent Examiner - Technology Center 3700 - pumps (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 6, 2018
IT is more judicial and understanding of the patent law. It is not much about your engineering knowledge. you would not get any hands on experience or skill in respect of real world Engineering