U.S. Department of Commerce

• Fair pay for job
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose

Overall Great

I truly love working for all the people in my office, I am only seeking a job elsewhere because I want to expand my investigative skills. I work regular daytime hours but I am always available if and when they need me.

I only worked on a temporary basis

Fast paced, demanding, well remunerated work, good training and training materials, travel and expenses covered because I was working for the Census Bureau.

Pros

Lodging, travel and expenses covered

Cons

Long hours, constant driving

You're better off in the private sector

They promote ppl who do not understand or are competent at their jobs.Promotion opportunties are very limited. Innovation is very limited.Don't use this as a stepping stone to go to the foreign service. If you work for DOC as a civil servant, they will not allow you to move into the foriegn service.People who work in the domestic field are 4th class citizens. Foreign services officers recieve the best treatment and do not have to worry about their actual performance goals.

Cons

The benefits are basic and don't stand out. You're not allowed to excel and do great at your job.

Oportunity to learn and share knowledge. Wonderful people.

I was reviewing the personnel we needed, comparing with the applications we had and calling the persons that applied to interview them and in case the interview results were positive, hire them. Then I hired them with all the paper work involved as E-Verify, etc.After that I performed the data entry for the pay roll. Computing hours, salary per hour, travel expenses. If I had personnel with doubts about they payments, I contacted them and solve their doubts.I learned the government system of data entry for pay roll.I really enjoy this because this was challenging.

Pros

Wonderful environment, friendly people and supportive bosses.

Cons

A little far from my house.

The employees got a lot of work done in a very short amount of time. For all of the United States citizens to be counted for no matter their age or race. The employees and staff had great communication.

Pros

Reimbursed by .25 cents per mile driven.

Cons

No open communication between management and employees.

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

I set my own hours and worked primerily in the field.

In three months I worked for three supervisors all of whom were very good. Overtime bonus's were substantial. I was disappointed that no follow-on work was offered.

Pros

Flexable hours

Cons

No benefits

Excellent pay and schedule

I was a Recruiting Assistant for a year and a half. I feel that I got great training and was given all the tools needed to succeed! Management was very supportive and listened to the team.

Pros

Grat pay and mileage reimbursement

Easy Job. Mostly nice people.

Once in a while you get grumpy or rude people who don't believe you actually work with the Census. I think it was the cheesy badges. They looked pretty fake. But for the most part people answer that questions politely and you move on. Pay was fantastic but complicated because there were so many things to include Iin your paycheck like mileage, bonus, overtime, after hours, Sunday pay etc. There were at least 7 different pay rates. But it was fun. I only receive 1 death threat which is apparently normal.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Long hours, wear and tear on personal car

Census enumerator~temporary

I loved my time working for the US Dept of Commerce as an Enumerator for the 2020 Census. I was trained online, had supplies, PPE & a device that basically did the work fir me. In 2030 I’ll definitely be back. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Pros

Pay, support, friendly people

Cons

Only Temporary position

Working with the community.

I learned so much about the different counties in the area. I enjoyed working out in the community and sharing information with the public. The learned new concepts working with the Department of Commerce.

Quality Control

Working at the Commerce Dept ( Census) was work I enjoyed ,you were out in the field , there was travel .the pay was fine. It is work that is calling on the general public , In my case it was temporary work and my job assignments last only a period until completed

Pros

Good Pay and Travel Expense

Cons

Not many hours of Work

How developed their apps where.

Yes using on the fire front of app location usage. The on line training modules... Excellent...I appreciate that I was tracked as I found myself in situation out of reach areas. When my signal went cold. I'd get a live person..... Making sure I was okay not in a 911 situation.

Pros

Milage reimbursement

Cons

Long days.... And evening

Fun place to work

It has been about 10 years since working for this company. However, my assignment with them was temporary. I worked several months was paid well. Able to work at home and in the field. OnceAssignment was over I was called back to work another assignment. I thoroughly enjoyed working for them and the pay was very competitive. I wish it would’ve lasted longer. If you are someone who pays attention to detail, and works hard you will succeed here.

Pros

Some work from home opportunities, good pay

Census Work

Did work doing the census there. Fun job. Adequate training. Nice boss, sometimes things don't work as intended but that was ok because it was never blamed on you. It just was what it was and you did the best you could. Pay was good too. Will definitely do the census again in 2030.

Pros

Pay, flexible hours, mileage compensation, positive attitude of coworkers.

Cons

No benefits, temporary, some people you work with can be difficult, computer systems sometimes go down.

U.S. Census

U.S. Census Bureau Philadelphia Regional Office needs a lot improving on their credentials. What makes this brand standout is the pay, flexibility, and benefits. The bad is the terrible management and they can lay you off whenever they feel like it without a warning.

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits

Cons

Intermittent and Management will finish you.

Communication

I was able to communicate with my supervisors anytime and they were able to track me anywhere on the field so I felt safe. Compensation for gas and mileage was able to work in other cities.

Pros

Lots of hours available towards end.

Cons

Only happens every decade

Working at a job that makes a difference in the world we live in.

Working for the Census I learned all that goes into receiving the proper funding for the community. We count the families, businesses, schools etc. The count, counts to say the least. By doing our count we ensure that we have the proper representation in office and Congress. The more people counted the more house of representatives we can receive. Undercounted neighborhoods are underrepresented and thus are underfunded. Working with the Census I felt like I was finally working for a job that made a difference.

Pros

Great pay and great opportunity

Cons

Short term employment

Working for the people of the US while having fun.

Job was enjoyable.Management, upper was the worst, middle not very professional. It's a paycheck. Coworkers were ok but likely to gossip about you when you turned around. Hiring practice was hit or miss. Process needs improvement,

Pros

Flex schedule

Cons

Changing priorities

Self-paced, Appreciated, Set Standards for Rules & Policies

I was a Numerator for the U.S.Census Bureau for a few Months it's a positive experience in which I definitely will benefit from for years to come and wished it would of lasted longer I really hope in the next 10yr term I can do it all again and would definitely participate more that I know more.

Pros

Set my own hours very flexible schedules

Cons

It doesn't last long short term position..

Responsive leadership and a great team of people to work with.

From assisting at the Area Census Office to traveling on elite teams, the work was meaningful and satisfying. Some supervisors were just okay while others were exceptional. The hours were long but the pay was worth it.

Pros

Work experience and pay rate

Cons

Temp short time work assignment

Did not have to do a personal interview.

A few poor managers lacking people skills; others were super but did not have to deal with them much. Paid well. Not really difficult. Felt like you were helping out the country.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Department of Commerce. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

4.4K
2.3K
1.1K

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss