U.S. Department of Commerce

• Fair pay for job
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose

Overall Great

I truly love working for all the people in my office, I am only seeking a job elsewhere because I want to expand my investigative skills. I work regular daytime hours but I am always available if and when they need me.

Interesting job and pay was good

This time I felt like a bill collector trying to get the information from clients. Work was steady and able to do it on my own time. The pay was great. We was able to make our own hours and schedule. Enjoyed meeting people in my neighborhood. Most people were friendly enough. The hardest part of the job was getting the people to assist with the questionnaire. It was easier to document work this time with the scanners to input information.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Hot outside

High pressure that I love.

Overall excellent place to work.. the people were awesome and work well together. They were quality workers with a great work ethic. And there was never a moment of dullness. It was always chaotic in a good sort of way.

Pros

Working remotely

Cons

Bureaucracy and waste of resources

When they say temporary, that's what they mean!

Not only is it very temporary but also intermittent. For being a federal agency, their training programs could use some help. Very disorganized. No consistency, training is not effective and very disorganized .

Pros

Visiting different locations

Cons

No consistency, training is not effective and very disorganized

Educational & Fun

Even though there was a lot of work to do, we still had time for fun and recognition throughout each month. The experience was very educational. There was great staff to work with as coworkers and supervisors. I really wish the job lasted longer and wasn' t seasonal. Great opportunity to work on other federal jobs after gaining the extra experience from the Census.

Pros

Montly birthday celebrations, goal met recognition, etc

Cons

High turn over, some pettiness, etc...

Would you recommend working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Professional

Great colleagues, professional environment, decent work-life balance

Government work

It was the same as working a government job. You came in, you worked, higher ups were never satisfied. Our group worked as well as we could. Being the youngest person there may have been an issue though.

Rewarding and Fulfilling

Working as a CFS was rewarding. You gain a lot of knowledge and experience. Management was very helpful. Made lots of money. Gas mileage was very good. My team members was great to work with, once we learn each other. It’s teams work, team building and friends when you leave. I did 2019 and 2020 . Everybody pull together and make things happen, I left the tour with a sense of I can accomplish the good and even the negative with a smile. I learn patient, perseverance and abilities that I can take into my new world once I leave Dept of Commerce

Pros

Gas mileage, pay, support and knowledge

Cons

Confusion sometimes

It was a temporary part time position that ended up mostly full time

I liked the work. Interesting, Liked traveling to new places. I would work for census again. I enjoyed the autonomy of not having someone look over my shoulder, the trust I was given , but I really wish it was more organized from the top.

Pros

Fun job, decent pay, mostly good people.

Cons

exhausting and lots of management issues, equipment failures.

Challenging, deadline driven

Most work is centered around specific ongoing projects with tight national deadlines. Tight budgets and strict deadlines create a lot of stress. No flexibility on processes. Work is far more complicated than it would seem from the outside looking in.

Pros

Sense of public service

Cons

Endless meetings

Good money and flexible schedule, hard for introverts.

It's a solid job that allows you to be independent, nobody was on top of you and you clocked in your own hours. There was alot to learn from using the work portal to interviewing the appointed residents. Overall I highly recommend this as an opportunity to make good money especially if you're coming out of the fast food industry.

The best

I Really enjoyed working at the department of commerce as a recruiting assistant it was work from home you can create your own schedule you got to travel places meet different people attend job fairs get paid for mileage and by the hour for how long it takes you to get to the location benefits were amazing

Great temporary job

Great temporary job. Mileage reimbursement exceeds cost of gas. Flexible schedule and hours. Great supervisor and others to help with any issues. Great change of pace and scenery.

Pros

Good pay, flexible schedule

Cons

Rude respondents

Productive and educational

Working for the department of commerce as a census worker was fun and adventurous. It gives me the opportunity to learn about my communities and see the needs that are needed and how important the census numbers help to facilitate those needs. The management team was very helpful and encouraging in getting the foot staff getting the job done. The hardest part is not having a restroom available to the worker and working during pandemic makes it more difficult at times. The most enjoyable thing about doing this job was to meet my neighbors and getting to conversate with them. Also, be able to explain the importance of the census and how they played a great role in completing it.

Pros

Community engagement

Cons

No restroom for workers

good temparary seasonal position

Great pay for seasonal work. If you like working independently this job is for you. It's hard work door knocking but the pay is worth is. You are compensated for travel and get to be outdoors all day.

Pros

Pay, compensated for travel

Cons

less structure, disorganized

Nice work place

Nice gig temp position that worked well with my needs. However no added benefits such as Healthcare, paid time off, etc. Great coworkers for the most part.

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

No extended benefits

Great Company

My time although temporary but rewarding. I was praised by my supervisor and peers for cases that we're closed out in a professional and timely manner.

I have finally decided to to Provide my opinion

Management was super supportive. Staff members were supportive and made an effort to guide us during the phone and MAC or computer or phone training. They would spot the root of the problem. I had the chance to learn quite a few could have been circumstances. I just knew I did not want to not do the job in this case surveys- data taken from strangers to the documents. Especially if this is not my field of work. I actually informed the supervisor I could not do the job the manner I was expected to do. In order to avoid the mix-up with documents, I decided to resign. My supervisor was understanding of my reason. I thank them for the chance to learn a little bit of something new. It does take practice to be good at it. Learning a new skill is a process.

Pros

Decent pay for not being my field of work.

Cons

Summer outings...

Ability to work in variou depts. Thru out 6 years tenure.

Some of My very best work with the organization.I enjoyed going into the office everyday. No two days were the same. I am a Multi tasking individual. No complaints about the work.

Pros

Benefits AWS days and holidays off.

I was an enumerator

Postion was temporary and occurs every 10 years. I received good pay for training and better pay after training. I was allowed to choose when I could work and work was fairly easy. Will do it again in 10 years.

Pros

Flexible schedule you choose

Cons

N/a

Easy work enviroment

You basically work from home. You receive assignments to be delegated to employees you have trained. Then you help the employees to complete these assignments, then return them to the office via FedEX.

Pros

Work at your own pace

Cons

It is temporary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Department of Commerce. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

4.4K
2.2K
1.1K

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss