U.S. Department of Commerce

United States8,573 reviews

Found 8,573 reviews matching the searchSee all 8,686 reviews
bureauenumeratortemporarygovernmentdecennialmileageinterviewsurvey

Overall Great

I truly love working for all the people in my office, I am only seeking a job elsewhere because I want to expand my investigative skills. I work regular daytime hours but I am always available if and when they need me.

Learning a lot

I enjoyed learning about the county I live in and surrounding counties and what’s new and what’s not there anymore, that was interesting and I was glad u could do it w any phone I had

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Lots of miles

U.S. Department of Commerce insights

Based on 4,582 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose

Flexible schedule

The US Census was a flexible government phone based work experience. Would highly recommend if you are in between jobs but dont expect benefits or advancement.

What is the best part of working at the company?Learning new skills, advancing quickly, and mission driven objectives.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Asking the public for personal information.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?It's all about the team work.

What is the best part of working at the company?Flexible schedule, good pay, opportunities to travel. Work is not that complicated… just need to be able to handle suspicious people…,.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Having people who think that the Census doesn’t matter and are suspicious that other government agencies have access to the dataWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Good. I had one totally awesome supervisor and one that sucked.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Go to houses on the list and try to contact occupants. Was in good and sketchy neighborhoods and I never felt as though I was in danger.

I felt like I was doing good.

This is for a job as a census taker, so one will have to worry about this until 2030. The job was fine but I had to quit. They kept sending me to places 87 other people had been to.

What is the best part of working at the company?Great people to work with, working for a common goal toassist in gaining community funding.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?There are some deadlines to be met.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Great people in a laid back environment.What is a typical day like for you at the company?9 to 5 interesting work.

What is the best part of working at the company?Independence.As long as you met your quota, you could set your own hours, or wor from home. There were cash incentives for meeting or exceeding quotas, time management, work flow,etc.Overall, I was very happy working at the USPTO.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Meeting your quota. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?uSPTO was 5th ranked federal agency as best work environment.If you needed help, it was freely given by your supervisor, or senior examiners.What is a typical day like for you at the company?typically it was 6-10 hours, reading patent applications to check statutory requirements, then searching the literature for previous disclosure of the subject matter, preparing responses to the applicant regarding the status of his application.

Only wish it could have been a permanent job

I hired on knowing it was a temporary assignment. I thoroughly enjoyed the work.I was able to work my own pace and meet many interesting people.I really enjoyed working my eight county zones. I worked mostly the rural counties, so there was quite a bit of driving every day, more than 100 miles. Most respondents were quite kind and polite. There was the occasional angry person to contend with, but all in all not bad.

Pros

Great pay, great people and interesting work

Cons

temporary assignment

Very good work place to work

Generally speaking is a good employer and if you are lucky to have a great boss that support and guide you , you are going to have a great work experience . The key is the Field Manager supervisor .

What is the best part of working at the company?The pay, and being a part of an historic census.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Super fast pace and changes from management on a daily basis. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?The work environment in the Kalamazoo office was great - we had the best LCOM!!What is a typical day like for you at the company?Very busy, many different situations.

good side hustle

worked the census.. 25/hr. real easy but temporary job. they gave a phone and we went around and took census on it. put papers up if nobody was home. did that until the work ran out.

Pros

pay, hrs

Cons

temporary

What is the best part of working at the company?The cooperation of the staff working as a team to get the job doneWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Working under the stress of deadlines.

great experience

Will consider working here again, especially at the higher levels. The job was very rewarding and I really enjoyed working with the other people. I was able to learn a lot and gained a valuable experience.

What is the best part of working at the company?The flexibility and support that upper employees give enumerators. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Just dealing with people, it's like cold-calling in person and most people aren't excited to see you when you go to get their census data. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Hard to say, most work is done independently, but my boss was great. What is a typical day like for you at the company?It varied quite a bit depending on how many people were remaining to be surveyed.

What is the best part of working at the company?always meeting a diverse group of AmericansWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?time deadline during CovidWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?working with people who realized how important the work isWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?always different

Company making a great difference in the lives of our communities

Company making a great difference in the lives of our communities. I experienced a great sense of accomplishment. My managers were very well equipped with the knowledge, leadership, and resourcefulness to get the job done.

It was the 2020 census temporary position until Nov 2020

Excellent pay Excellent management. Worked the 2020 Census and a great job.It was very busy all day long but good work. Diligence and attention to detail was required.

Pros

great pay

Cons

What is the best part of working at the company?Fair upper managementWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Some late hours (up to midnight)What is the work environment and culture like at the company?CollegiateWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?My work duties varied greatly - there was no typical day

Depends on your team/branch

Overall good place to work, and many people stay for decades. Some teams work on projects that are more fun than others. Great place for advancement, too.

What is the best part of working at the company?Flexible schedule, pay rate, and being out in nice weather.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Reluctant customers, and unfamiliay areas.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Worked alone most of the time; encountered co-worker once/twice in the field.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Drove to listed destinations; to complete Questionnaire.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Department of Commerce. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
3.8Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare U.S. Department of Commerce with

• U.S. Department of Commerce
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?