U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
70Above average

U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA33 reviews
stressful but unconditional manager support wich make a huge difference
Amazing learning experience, inspire me continue that as a carrier, fun interactive dynamic for the diversity of culture co-workers that was making the day pass by fast.
Pros
satisfaction to impact somebody lives in positive way.
Cons
very demanding type of clientele.
Military
My assignments at DHHS were within the USPHS. It was an overall rewarding experience. I was able to expand my professional experience as a Dietitian, to that of a seasoned Public Health Analyst.
Pros
Pay and Benefits, knowing that you are impacting at a national level
Cons
Poor work/life balance, inability to work in desired (geographic) location
Productive and inclusive environment
Military Veteran friendly environment, family friendly environment. Ability to work remote at least 1 day per week. Alternate work schedules available, part time employment available.
Decent pay but no advancement
There's little career advancement and poor leadership. The pay is decent however, the agency lacks organization and does not genuinely care about it's employees.
Productive and a Fun Place To work
I really enjoyed my time at HHS . I learned a lot with managing projects , reading requirements and interacting with stakeholders. I worked with all levels of management and learned to prioritization skills .
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
An agency in flux
Most time was spent working on reports without the benefit of significant contact with the grantee organzation leadership. Also, a significant number of staff meetings.
Excellent Division Directors
Must be a team player who can function in a fast pace environment with little or no supervision. Do not be afraid to rely on your team members for for assistance.
Great place to work.
Great from an environmental perspective. Most work areas are clean and air conditioned. the only major problem is its location, the commute is very demanding.
Good work life balance
I have worked in more than one division of HHS and overall the agency has good work-life balance; comparable pay and many geographical options. Telework is liberal .
Serving my country and paid well
I was a commissioned officer. I got to serve my country & I was compensated well. I loved that job, it was my life. It was a very difficult decision to leave it. I learned so much working there. It was a fabulous experience.
Pros
Good pay, great benefits
Cons
needed to move for advancement
summary
Great place to work. Opportunities are endless. great endless mentors to educate you in the progression of your potential career. and senior staff to assist an individual to start a progressive career,
Pros
great place to work
Bittersweet
This position favors employees with seniority and vets. Newcomers rarely have no opportunity for advancement. Despite this, the actual job duties were valuable.
Pros
Salary and transportation compensation
Cons
Glass ceiling for newcomers
Outstanding
While working as a civil service employee, and with the opportunity to serve my country, I transitioned into USPHS as a Health Service Officer. Over the years, I accepted more responsibilities and successfully led teams of health care professionals. While providing quality health care, we found time to meet and pass JCAHO and institutional surveys.
Pros
Invaluable
great place to work in 1998 thru 2015
Over the years things went well. I was a subcontractor. Changes over the years in management resulted in negative changes in the work environment. Finally a switch from T&M contract to Performance based caused the Prime to cancel my contract. They said I was too expensive.
Pros
relaxed environment at the beginning
Cons
24x7 standby
Rewarding place to work helping the public in need
- a typical work day for me is always busy
- I've learned so much from working about the public

- my managers are very good people to work for

- workplace culture is very diverse

- the hardest part of my job is juggling between 2 very busy managers in 2 departments, but I do the job and I do it very well with no complaints

- the most enjoyable part of my job is type of work that I do and being a part of a group of people who enjoy helping our clients
Pros
as busy as I am everyday, no one micro-manages me and my input is valued here
Cons
not being paid what I feel is adequate for supporting 2 departments and maangers
Na
Nice place to work. However, very political in nature. The workplace culture is very diverse and full of intellectuals. Campus is husge, but parking is problematic.
The Div of Police
They call it police, but its actually more like armed security. They lure you in with the promise off quick advancement and specialty units that are merely a facade. The work isnt hard but management doesnt support its officers. Promotional opportunities are hard to come by, but your quite and dont speak up for yourself you may be promoted after a 8 year bench mark. Its a difficult place to work, since the community doesn't want to abide by the rules that they themselves put in place. Join it you just looking for a job, but its definitely not a place to start a career!
Pros
Consistent work schedule
Cons
Low pay, clicks and poor management.
Learned a lot at this job.
Great place to gain entry level experience in the Human Service Field.

Learned about best practices, polices and procedures.

The work environment was very competitive.

Some of the management was great and others needed improvement.
Stressful, non-supportive
Typical rushed, stressful, frustration. Assign to 4 floors in one day. Learning about the impact of racism in the workplace. Competitive in a negative sense. Most difficult part is the competitive environment. However they did pay for some classes.
Chaotic and no professional development
Management is overwhelmed with too many program administration duties and never seems to complete tasks or make decisions in a timely manner. Required submissions to State of MD are always late or not submitted.
Subordinates are not provided with effective training opportunities and management takes no interest in employee development or giving performance reviews in person.

Assignments are not fairly distributed among staff. Males receive preferential treatment and titles while females do the work. Males receive promotions over qualified females.
Pros
Good benefits and salary
Cons
Poor management of programs and unorganized, chaotic work environment
it's ok
nice place to work depending on which office you work in. I've worked in several offices and personalities vary and management skills vary as well. Overall an ok experience.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.7
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Reviews by Location