U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Employee Reviews

Good government job
MANAGEMENT ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 23, 2018
HHS is a good place to work with a lot of goings-on - there is never a dull day. Although it can be quite stressful, the job security cannot be beat!
great place to work in 1998 thru 2015
Senior UNIX System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDApril 12, 2018
Over the years things went well. I was a subcontractor. Changes over the years in management resulted in negative changes in the work environment. Finally a switch from T&M contract to Performance based caused the Prime to cancel my contract. They said I was too expensive.
Pros
relaxed environment at the beginning
Cons
24x7 standby
Bureau is a good place to work.
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDApril 5, 2018
Bureau is a good place to work. It was temporary but I enjoyed it immensely. I learn so much from colleagues and my superiors. The pace was relaxed and I would return in a minute if the opportunity arises.
Pros
good experience
Cons
too short
Peer Reviewer - Contractual
Federal Grant Reviewer (Peer Reviewer) (Current Employee) –  RemoteMarch 28, 2018
I only work for them up to three times a year as a Peer Reviewer for some of the grants they offer. I do not have experience with the work culture, benefits, etc.
Desktop Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 20, 2018
The position was a short term contract position for me as well. If I can remember correctly. I was hired to fill in for an employee on maternity leave.
Great Job!
GRANT REVIEWER (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 4, 2018
Although seasonal, the job was great! Each task has a strict deadline that must be met which created little room for unpredictability. Each task was time consuming.
Productive fast-paced work environment
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 23, 2018
Satisfactory environment to work in. Good supervisors, co-workers were positive and hard workers. Team playing was an essential characteristic of this work environment.
HHS was a good place to work, in that the mission is vital.
Lead Correspondence Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 19, 2018
During the 2012 to 2014 timeframe, the leadership at HHS was very focused on the Lean Six Sigma program of overall improvement in the day-to-day operations. However managers were either not provided with the training needed to be great leaders and/or were not encouraged and held accountable for treating their employees in a manner that inspires people to be the best that can be.
Workplace
Head Start Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 30, 2017
The environment that I work is friendly and family oriented. They are interesting in help us to balance personal life and work responsibilities. I get to speak with my manager about my case load and we come with conclusion on what is the next step
Pros
telework
Cons
commuting
Miromanagment at it highest
Director of Program Analysis & Coordination (COO) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 21, 2017
Senior staff use bullying and micro-management to control staff and dill creativity, Worst company culture ever!! Many staff fell defeated so they just go through the motions.
Pros
Managers who bully and yell at staff
Cons
Federal benefits and salary
Learned so much from these wonderful people
Legal Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 11, 2017
I worked for fourteen attorneys, great and respectful people to be around and work with, they were always there to help you out with whatever you needed help with.
Pros
Family Oriented
Cons
Too bad my contract ended
Great place. Loved working at CDC
Public Health Advisor, Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VA 23704December 8, 2017
Great work environment!

Management cares about employees and are willing to always offer development programs and training sessions for employees. Lots of career advancement opportunities.
Great place to work on health care issues
Director of External Affairs (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 25, 2017
This is a great place to work on health care issues. HHS can be a large bureaucratic nightmare that is slow moving at times, but gives you the opportunity to help better people's lives.
ADMINISTRATIVE LAW ATTORNEY (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 17, 2017
Great culture, challenging and rewarding work, fantastic co-workers and supervisors and administrative staff. I love my job, my boss, my co-workers, and everyone in the office.
Pros
Challenging work, great atmosphere, great benefits
Exellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 17, 2017
A typical work day would consist of checking emails, completing timesheets, answering phones and greeting customers. The employees are very personal able.
I feel coerced to write this review by Indeed
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 30, 2017
I'd rather not be forced to provide a review. After all, there is no one way HHS is, as the organization is very large and, as such, the culture varies from agency to agency, division to division, and office to office.
Productive Workplace
Personnel Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDSeptember 14, 2017
A typical day at the workplace consisted of greeting customers, fingerprinting them for background information, making sure all the information they hand to us matches what we have in our system.
I learned from management to stay consistent and mindful. The workplace culture was quiet yet tedious on certain days. The hardest part of the job was making sure we don't mess up a thing involving personal information. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing our customers satisfied with our work.
Productive and fun workplace
Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2017
I learned how to use the online database used by the department. I participated in actual audits. Everyone who works there is very nice and hard working. There are no office politics. The most enjoyable part of the job is doing research before conducting the audit. The hardest part of the job was figuring out how to structure the reports
Pros
In the heart of downtown
Cons
No parking
Government is good
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 10, 2017
Really like this job and the local management was great. Some of the DC folks are hard to deal with. Great benefits, telework policy, people who are mission driven.
Great work Environment
Consumer Safety Officer/Investigator (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTJuly 5, 2017
A typical work day at work involve preparing and planning inspection. Reading all the required FDA laws and regulations pertaining to the specific industry. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with industry personnel, and communicating inspection findings to the firm.