U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Employee Reviews

United States175 reviews

housinggovernmentfederalagencyprogramdevelopmentofficepublic

Outstanding Place to Work and Make a Difference

No shift work. Monday through Friday. Excellent pay. Small offices so everyone helps each other out. Everyone becomes family. Must be self-motivated and be able to work independently or on a team. Sometimes you might have to work early mornings for search or arrest warrants. Lots of job satisfaction.

Pleasur working with mature people that have same skills and diverse companies working as one

The high caliber knowledge of all the Team, is great. Every one has the same goal. Complete the Task. Open, honestly and providing utmost respect to the insureds. Every one feels like family.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Excellent place to work

I work in a department with great colleagues, very mission driven and dedicated. There are frustrations related to working in a large bureaucracy, but overall I am very happy working for HUD.

Pros

High-caliber colleagues

Cons

Political nature of agency leadership

Help people in your community and change lives

Help young youth and young adults, an amazing feeling to see our youth striving and doing there best with our assistance. If you want to be a part of a bigger team and see real world progress this company is for you.

Really good work environment

HUD is a really good place to be and to star building your career. A place they make you feel really welcomed and help you every step of the way. It is a really good job.

Experience heavily depends on the office.

HUD does a great amount of work in improving vulnerable Americans and their communities. There are some fantastic, dedicated people and offices that get it right. However, in some offices, there can also be a big disconnect between those who care and those who don't, which can make things hard to get done. Loads younger people with increasing work portfolio in light of an aging, retiring workforce. However too many offices resist promoting younger people due to feeling like they haven't "put their years in" or management's desire to give a friend a promotion before they retire in order to increase their retirement benefits (I think more hiring and promotional opportunities will happen in the future though).

Pros

-Diverse workforce -Ability to work on meaningful projects

Cons

-HR (OCHCO) is an incompetent nightmare. -Can be uneven in promotions with respect to race, age (under 40), and gender.

Toxic Environment

Excellent Job/Work balance. Great compensation and benefits. Almost impossible to advance within the organization as lower grade employees become a permanent underclass. Toxic narcissistic managers thrive in this environment because they are not held accountable for their actions. Managers also pit lower level employees against each other.

Pros

Excellent work/life balance

Cons

Toxic managers and staff

Great Manager and Coworkers

I really hit the jackpot when it came to getting hired in my first federal position that happens to have a great supervisor. I can honestly say that I really have a manager that cares about how the staff is during in these unprecedented times and continuously teleworking during COVID 19 pandemic. On my first day I was assigned to a Senior worker to help me navigate my first year and it's been great since we aren't working in the office and difficult coming in to go straight to remote working. All of my coworkers get along for the most part and like any other environment you going to have issues within a group of people that comes from different backgrounds and span decades in ages. Seems like they work well together for the common goal of assisting our communities. The hardest part of the job is not being able to really see my coworkers a few times a week, they seem to have a lot of great office stories. The most enjoyable part is getting to help so many people in the state and community.

Pros

Work/Life Balance and my Supervisor

Cons

It is left to be seen.....

Management was not useful in helping employee

I began work here without clear understanding or instruction and was treated like a misfit. I was not given proper training from management. Then after a short while was blamed that it was due because of me.

The management within my office (Office of Native American Programs is negligent in their leadership and work abilities. The environment is an aggressive environment to spoil managers and abuse staff. All Directors within that office should be replaced. Awful people with no personnel or leadership abilities!

Pros

Cons

No apparent experience with team leadership

Caters less to the actual client - residents/tenants of properties. More inclined to catering to property owners/management agents.

My opinion of the agency isn't good. The agency ceases to protect the government's interest. Caters more to it's partners-property owners and management companies.

favoritism and nepotism

OverallMy experience working at U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development is filled with nepotism and favoritism and management does whatever they want to. There is no accountability for management so they continue to belittle, mistreat, and stress you out.

Leadership makes this unfavorable

Workplace culture is poor. A lot of high school drama and antics. Rarely signs of advancement. A lot of micromanaging and condescending employees. Entire workplace is older people that need to retire.

Pros

Paid transportation

Unfortunately management is weak when it comes to employee retaliation. They rather bury their head in the sand then deal with rude, unproductive, unacceptable behavior of employees for fear of Union grievances. They feel it is better to reassign loyal employees who have worked and dedicated their life to the mission just to avoid any disciple issues. Their actions have forced employees to move to other agencies, resign and or retire.

Fast Paced Environment

Plenty of work to be done. Hardest part of the job is tracking contracts, new and existing. Must be able to initiate projects, be a self starter and work independently.

Rotating Management is the problem

Let keep it simple, it’s about poor management and the rotations based on political party or affiliation. Democrats seems to appoint people who know what their doing! Republicans are looking to eliminate things before they begin

Inclusive environment with good work/life balance

I've worked in a few areas of HUD, and it can vary by program area. There are some constants though. The environment can be very politicized, and you may be judged for any expressed political views if they don't follow the general government employee trend. Middle management tends to be undertrained and management promotions come by the ability to do work, not manage people or make decisions. This makes for managers who don't understand basic human resource policies and procedures, management techniques, communicate poorly, and are unpredictable in decision making. There are shining exceptions to this rule, and I'm lucky enough to have one of those now (although I would argue they are not middle management, but upper management). You will not find a place with better job security, inclusiveness, retirement, telework allowance, or work/life balance.

Pros

Work/life balance, job security

Cons

Bureaucracy and Management can be challenging

Satisfaction to be able to house elderly and physically disabled residents.

The good: The open door policy that management established to discuss any issues that an employee might have and to come up with solutions to satisfy those matters. The bad: Not sufficient funding availability to fund more housing projects.

Fast paced environment with a satisfying mission

Regular work hours for the most part. Great team experience with varying work and continual training. The environment is comfortable and accommodating, and management works to help you progress up the ladder.

Pros

Great schedule and benefits

Cons

Can get stressful with certain deadlines

Must be mission driven

Great place to work. Never a dull moment. Work involves interactions with internal and external stakeholders concerned about affordable housing, community development and homelessness issues.

Productive Environment

Great benefits, pay and co-workers. Management is suspect. Able to have a flexible work environment with telework options for some people. All people are not necessarily treated fairly in this environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.8
InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
2.8Career Opportunities
3.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight