U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Employee Reviews

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Great Manager and Coworkers

I really hit the jackpot when it came to getting hired in my first federal position that happens to have a great supervisor. I can honestly say that I really have a manager that cares about how the staff is during in these unprecedented times and continuously teleworking during COVID 19 pandemic. On my first day I was assigned to a Senior worker to help me navigate my first year and it's been great since we aren't working in the office and difficult coming in to go straight to remote working. All of my coworkers get along for the most part and like any other environment you going to have issues within a group of people that comes from different backgrounds and span decades in ages. Seems like they work well together for the common goal of assisting our communities. The hardest part of the job is not being able to really see my coworkers a few times a week, they seem to have a lot of great office stories. The most enjoyable part is getting to help so many people in the state and community.

Pros

Work/Life Balance and my Supervisor

Cons

It is left to be seen.....

Toxic Environment

Excellent Job/Work balance. Great compensation and benefits. Almost impossible to advance within the organization as lower grade employees become a permanent underclass. Toxic narcissistic managers thrive in this environment because they are not held accountable for their actions. Managers also pit lower level employees against each other.

Pros

Excellent work/life balance

Cons

Toxic managers and staff

Management was not useful in helping employee

I began work here without clear understanding or instruction and was treated like a misfit. I was not given proper training from management. Then after a short while was blamed that it was due because of me.

The management within my office (Office of Native American Programs is negligent in their leadership and work abilities. The environment is an aggressive environment to spoil managers and abuse staff. All Directors within that office should be replaced. Awful people with no personnel or leadership abilities!

Pros

Cons

No apparent experience with team leadership

Caters less to the actual client - residents/tenants of properties. More inclined to catering to property owners/management agents.

My opinion of the agency isn't good. The agency ceases to protect the government's interest. Caters more to it's partners-property owners and management companies.

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

favoritism and nepotism

OverallMy experience working at U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development is filled with nepotism and favoritism and management does whatever they want to. There is no accountability for management so they continue to belittle, mistreat, and stress you out.

Leadership makes this unfavorable

Workplace culture is poor. A lot of high school drama and antics. Rarely signs of advancement. A lot of micromanaging and condescending employees. Entire workplace is older people that need to retire.

Pros

Paid transportation

Unfortunately management is weak when it comes to employee retaliation. They rather bury their head in the sand then deal with rude, unproductive, unacceptable behavior of employees for fear of Union grievances. They feel it is better to reassign loyal employees who have worked and dedicated their life to the mission just to avoid any disciple issues. Their actions have forced employees to move to other agencies, resign and or retire.

Fast Paced Environment

Plenty of work to be done. Hardest part of the job is tracking contracts, new and existing. Must be able to initiate projects, be a self starter and work independently.

Rotating Management is the problem

Let keep it simple, it’s about poor management and the rotations based on political party or affiliation. Democrats seems to appoint people who know what their doing! Republicans are looking to eliminate things before they begin

Inclusive environment with good work/life balance

I've worked in a few areas of HUD, and it can vary by program area. There are some constants though. The environment can be very politicized, and you may be judged for any expressed political views if they don't follow the general government employee trend. Middle management tends to be undertrained and management promotions come by the ability to do work, not manage people or make decisions. This makes for managers who don't understand basic human resource policies and procedures, management techniques, communicate poorly, and are unpredictable in decision making. There are shining exceptions to this rule, and I'm lucky enough to have one of those now (although I would argue they are not middle management, but upper management). You will not find a place with better job security, inclusiveness, retirement, telework allowance, or work/life balance.

Pros

Work/life balance, job security

Cons

Bureaucracy and Management can be challenging

Satisfaction to be able to house elderly and physically disabled residents.

The good: The open door policy that management established to discuss any issues that an employee might have and to come up with solutions to satisfy those matters. The bad: Not sufficient funding availability to fund more housing projects.

Fast paced environment with a satisfying mission

Regular work hours for the most part. Great team experience with varying work and continual training. The environment is comfortable and accommodating, and management works to help you progress up the ladder.

Pros

Great schedule and benefits

Cons

Can get stressful with certain deadlines

Must be mission driven

Great place to work. Never a dull moment. Work involves interactions with internal and external stakeholders concerned about affordable housing, community development and homelessness issues.

Productive Environment

Great benefits, pay and co-workers. Management is suspect. Able to have a flexible work environment with telework options for some people. All people are not necessarily treated fairly in this environment.

Very bad directors with poor management style

The management style is management by intimidation. My last manager actually told me she did not want her subordinates to respect her, she wanted them to fear her. There is cronyism and nepotism. There are unfair hiring practices including hiring contractors into competitive positions without considering other candidates.

Good stable job helping people

Good pay for public service. Interesting job. Can do your job despite management. Satisfaction in being part of the solution. Bureaucratic job but focused on important programs.

We do good things.

Good place to work. Good benefits including health and life/work balance programs. Most jobs include travel opportunities. We do good things for those in need.

Pros

Telework and other life/work balance programs

Cons

Distance to work at downtown office

Federal agency that refuses to follow federal law in regards to disability discrimination and accommodation

This agency discriminates against people with federally targeted disabilities. Management expect employees to be work horses, but displays no respect or appreciation to its employees. Management is ill equipped to deal with matters regarding FMLA, reasonable accommodations for individuals with a disability, and once management finds out you have a disability you are singled out and viewed as a faulty employee.

Bad place to work

I was contracting to work as the mail clerk here, sorting incoming mail to 17 different programs as well as sending out mail. I was to deliver NOTHING to any of these people, they were constantly instructed to have someone come down on a daily basis to pick up their mail, but guess what didn't happen. Then consider that incoming mail is mortgages and certifications. Then they blamed me for not getting their mail on time. Then they put a little bit of mail in a tub, hid it in an unused cubicle, then claimed that I did that. I kept ALL incoming mail in the same room with the postage machine, and didn't keep any of it elsewhere. None of the people who work at HUD want to actually do their jobs, and definately don't want to be responsible for their own actions.

Excellent company

Great company to work for, great benefits, great management, great environment, excellent facilities, and wonderful business values. Unfortunately my husband was relocated to FL and I had to leave such a great Company.

Pros

Great core values

Cons

No cons, this Company has it all !!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss