U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Employee Reviews

Typical workday is ok
Auditor (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 12, 2018
The people are nice. However, there's not a lot of growth potential. Not an effective work/ life balance. Everyone is not measured by the same standards (in this region of the agency)
Pros
Decent commute
Cons
No growth
Productive workplace
Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 20410June 6, 2018
Maintain calendars of scheduled events and communicate relevant information to participants and OIT leadership. Provide conference support for pre-meeting setup to ensure audio/video resources are available and operational.
Too many retirement eligibles preventing progress
Contract Oversight Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 31, 2018
The "HUD Way" is there to stay since over 50% of the leadership and staff seems to be eligible for retirement but have nothing but HUD and their HUD paycheck to look forward to. HUD runs away younger, educated, veteran, and motivated employees because of their HR practices and inability to support the drive and motivation of "non-baby boomer" employees.
Pros
Close to I-395
Cons
It's HUD... nothing will change until their is change at the top of each program, directorate, and division within the organization.
Awesome Job
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 18, 2018
Variety of Jobs, Available Time Frame are Good for what I am looking for. I have been here for a career , I am not leaving to need a little extra money.
Good Working Environment
Intern Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 7, 2018
As a student trainee, I was able to learn the ins and outs of a government job that provided an excellent working environment. This experience will help me get a job one day.
Hud
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 5, 2018
Needs to train new employees properly and provide more opportunities for advancement. Other employe bully and harass with no management intervention. Not a great place.
Pros
Work Life balance, telework
Cons
Management, racism, and poor training of staff
Great Place to Make a Difference in Communities and Lives of Millions of Americans
Social Science Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20410April 23, 2018
If you value housing as an important factor in improving peoples' lives, HUD is a great place to work. Like any federal agency, there are many separate business units that serve specific agency policies, priorities, and functions; and they all add up to an important role in service to our country. As in any government agency, the organizational structure is pretty flat with few opportunities for career advancement, but the pay, benefits, job security are solid. The best location in which to work for HUD is at headquarters in Washington, DC... the main pitfall there is management, which tend to be subject matter experts, some of which have no people skills and no business being managers. As with any job, it is best to learn how to manage up, and take your career by the horns--that way, you can reduce the effect poor management has on your career path and overall outlook on working at HUD
Pros
Work life balance, pay, great service to country, noble objective
Cons
poor management, flat organizational structure, slow career progress
Very Productive
Office Automation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 6, 2018
Learned a lot working in this particular position. Very friendly and enthusiastic co-workers. My customer service skills were strengthened in this position.
N/a
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 29, 2018
Great place to work. Easy transportation, great places to eat and exercise. Absolutely love working here. Advancement and all. Would change nothing!
HUD is old school
Portfolio Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 1, 2018
HUD is behind the times and does not adequately address affordability in housing. Management is stuck in the past and does not think outside the box. Bureaucratic limitations often impede meaningful change.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Lack of Advancement
The Federal Government was designed to help others in various governmental managed programs.
Single Family Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 22, 2018
Great place to work if you have a desire to help others live a better life.

You must be willing to work with people and programs to fully provide for those in need.
Pros
It allows you to help others, and regulate those organizations that receive funding through the government.
Cons
Processing or approvals are usually long before implementation
Enjoyed working with a diverse field of HUD Employees
Senior Project Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA 94107February 14, 2018
As a Project Manager for HUD, I was fortunate to been given the opportunity to manage and oversee a variety of projects enhancing my skills in budget tracking, communication skills, risk management, scheduling and project coordination with a diverse team of experts in Architectural design, contracting and procurement work. It is most rewarding upon the completion of a project, seeing the end product and ultimately satisfying our internal customers. In my jurisdiction of responsibility, I was able to travel to Regional Offices within California, Phoenix, Hawaii and mid-states and attend conferences in collaboration with my counterparts region-wide.
Pros
Travel, teleworking from home, commuter benefits
Cons
Due to downsizing of offices, workload has decreased overtime
Friendly people
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  PG County MarylandFebruary 12, 2018
It's a good place to work . My Co-workers are easy to get along with and very helpful. I learned a lot about the Section 8 process. My manager is great , very understanding and fair The hardest part of the job is when you have to tell homeless people and mother with children that there is no housing available. The most enjoyable part of the job is , when they get together and bring dishes of food . They sure do like to eat there.
Pros
location is great
Good Place to work
Equal Opportunity Specialist (Current Employee) –  FLJanuary 23, 2018
HUD is a great place to work. There is a good work life balance working for HUD. pay is good but not great, but there is stability in the job, except for when there is a government shutdown.
Good
Master Electrician (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 19, 2018
Good place to work. Regular work hours from 8 to 5 no weekends, but since you are the only electrician you are on call for emergencies. Paid holidays and sick leave.
HUD review
Field Policy and Management Intern (FPM) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 18, 2018
I don't feel comfortable being required to write a review for my experience with a former employer. This seems like it's mandatory just for the purposes of collecting marketable user data
productive place to work
Housing Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 14, 2018
When I started with HUD the goal was to assist the low income and unfortunate people. As time went on it seem that helping people became less important. It was a very rewarding job and I felt that I was helping people. But once again money was more important than assisting the needy. So it was time for me to leave. But working there was very interesting. We all worked together as a famiy.
Pros
worked on your own, 4 day weeks and could work from home.
Cons
constant changes and demands became very stressful
A great place to work with an opportunity for career development.
Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 9, 2018
A typical day starts with monitoring the Directives in-box to review and respond to comments received from departmental staff and external interest groups.

I’ve learned that each day comes with its own challenges and that we should always be flexible enough to shift priorities when necessary, make adjustment and work collaboratively to meet intended goals.

The most enjoyable part of my job is that great sense of value I feel whenever I can holistically work with program offices through difficult projects, from start to finish, and unexpectedly they've responded with much thanks and gratitude.
Pros
The ability to participate in flexible alternative work schedule.
Cons
No Cafeteria.
Support Services Lead/ Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 4, 2018
I was the on-site (PRISM) team lead as a contractor to FAA’s Office of Procurement and Acquisitions Management (OAM). We supported PRISM and Oracle Delphi and use of MS-Project for scheduling clear communication with expert level use of Microsoft Office and Visio. I used SharePoint for document management and task management. I was a team lead whom supported the entire acquisition /procurement staff. As a Subject Matter Expert, System Administrator and certified PRISM trainer for all procurement modules. Team oriented and very friendly atmosphere.
The U.S.Department of Housing and Urban Developement is an integral proponent for States, and communitie to meet the visions of our society.
Chief of the Broadcasting Branch (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 3, 2018
I joined the diverse organizations comprising the pulse of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development in 1989, and I was astounded by the efforts of so many offices and employees dedicated to the one goal of providing the basic right and need of housing and community development entrusted to this Presidential Cabinet level organizations mandate.
Pros
Active
Cons
Funding