U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Employee Reviews

United States161 reviews
Satisfaction to be able to house elderly and physically disabled residents.
The good: The open door policy that management established to discuss any issues that an employee might have and to come up with solutions to satisfy those matters.

The bad: Not sufficient funding availability to fund more housing projects.
Fast Paced Environment
Plenty of work to be done. Hardest part of the job is tracking contracts, new and existing. Must be able to initiate projects, be a self starter and work independently.
Rotating Management is the problem
Let keep it simple, it’s about poor management and the rotations based on political party or affiliation. Democrats seems to appoint people who know what their doing! Republicans are looking to eliminate things before they begin
Inclusive environment with good work/life balance
I've worked in a few areas of HUD, and it can vary by program area. There are some constants though. The environment can be very politicized, and you may be judged for any expressed political views if they don't follow the general government employee trend. Middle management tends to be undertrained and management promotions come by the ability to do work, not manage people or make decisions. This makes for managers who don't understand basic human resource policies and procedures, management techniques, communicate poorly, and are unpredictable in decision making. There are shining exceptions to this rule, and I'm lucky enough to have one of those now (although I would argue they are not middle management, but upper management). You will not find a place with better job security, inclusiveness, retirement, telework allowance, or work/life balance.
Pros
Work/life balance, job security
Cons
Bureaucracy and Management can be challenging
Fast paced environment with a satisfying mission
Regular work hours for the most part. Great team experience with varying work and continual training. The environment is comfortable and accommodating, and management works to help you progress up the ladder.
Pros
Great schedule and benefits
Cons
Can get stressful with certain deadlines
Must be mission driven
Great place to work. Never a dull moment.

Work involves interactions with internal and external stakeholders concerned about affordable housing, community development and homelessness issues.
Productive Environment
Great benefits, pay and co-workers. Management is suspect. Able to have a flexible work environment with telework options for some people. All people are not necessarily treated fairly in this environment.
Very bad directors with poor management style
The management style is management by intimidation. My last manager actually told me she did not want her subordinates to respect her, she wanted them to fear her. There is cronyism and nepotism. There are unfair hiring practices including hiring contractors into competitive positions without considering other candidates.
Good stable job helping people
Good pay for public service. Interesting job. Can do your job despite management. Satisfaction in being part of the solution. Bureaucratic job but focused on important programs.
We do good things.
Good place to work. Good benefits including health and life/work balance programs. Most jobs include travel opportunities. We do good things for those in need.
Pros
Telework and other life/work balance programs
Cons
Distance to work at downtown office
Federal agency that refuses to follow federal law in regards to disability discrimination and accommodation
This agency discriminates against people with federally targeted disabilities. Management expect employees to be work horses, but displays no respect or appreciation to its employees. Management is ill equipped to deal with matters regarding FMLA, reasonable accommodations for individuals with a disability, and once management finds out you have a disability you are singled out and viewed as a faulty employee.
Bad place to work
I was contracting to work as the mail clerk here, sorting incoming mail to 17 different programs as well as sending out mail. I was to deliver NOTHING to any of these people, they were constantly instructed to have someone come down on a daily basis to pick up their mail, but guess what didn't happen. Then consider that incoming mail is mortgages and certifications. Then they blamed me for not getting their mail on time. Then they put a little bit of mail in a tub, hid it in an unused cubicle, then claimed that I did that. I kept ALL incoming mail in the same room with the postage machine, and didn't keep any of it elsewhere. None of the people who work at HUD want to actually do their jobs, and definately don't want to be responsible for their own actions.
Excellent company
Great company to work for, great benefits, great management, great environment, excellent facilities, and wonderful business values.
Unfortunately my husband was relocated to FL and I had to leave such a great Company.
Pros
Great core values
Cons
No cons, this Company has it all !!!
Productive workplace with little room to grow.
The job itself is not bad, the employees make the job. It can be very laid back. Company/management is not well organized. No mention of how to contact HR in the event you might need to speak with them. Most "promotions" are lateral moves. Management will add extra duties to employees and expect them to provide the same level of service as you would solely on the phones. The customers calling in are not computer literate and are sometimes difficult to work with. Overall its enjoyable, just don't expect to climb a tall latter there. So far after three years, no raises have been given to anyone on the floor. You have to move over to other campaigns (desks) for a chance to make more money or to get any job advancements.
There is not much to say but I did enjoy my time there.
The management group I reported to was awesome. Knowledgable and acted with haste. I can't speak for the rest of the department. Overall, my time there was positive.
Intern at HUD
I was an intern at HUD so I have limited exposer to what working at HUD is really like. I did enjoy that people that I worked for and I would recommend working for the Department.
Potential for growth and development
HUS offers an excellent work environment to develop and grow as employee and manager. In the recent 10 years, I find that HUD is an excellent work place which serves as a platform for serving the community and create a sense of personal and professional satisfaction.
good work place
A typical day for me is working on executive leadership initiatives. you must be open minded and flexible. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people. The hardest part of the job is that HUD is one of the agencies that gets cut during shutdowns.
Pros
It is close to home and I have a parking spot
Cons
50 year old building with antquated heating and air conditioning
Relaxed atmosphere.
It was nice working there. I was not a direct employee. I was a contractor. The people there were cool to work with. I really can not speak on being a direct employee there.
Revie Summary
HUD was a good place to work. I enjoyed doing my job and supervising the staff that I had. It was a good experience. A typical day at work was busy with lots of calls. My manager was always very supportive of what I did. The hardest part of the job was dealing with auditors and the most enjoyable part of the job were the people.
Pros
good people
Cons
terrible commute
Great agency mission, but management/culture issues
HUD and its various program offices have a phenomenal mission of working to provide affordable housing throughout nation. Very hardworking and committed staff, but significant management issues work to impair work-life balance and overall employee satisfaction.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3
Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.