U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Employee Reviews

We do good things.
Grants Evaluation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 3, 2019
Good place to work. Good benefits including health and life/work balance programs. Most jobs include travel opportunities. We do good things for those in need.
Pros
Telework and other life/work balance programs
Cons
Distance to work at downtown office
Federal agency that refuses to follow federal law in regards to disability discrimination and accommodation
Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 24, 2019
This agency discriminates against people with federally targeted disabilities. Management expect employees to be work horses, but displays no respect or appreciation to its employees. Management is ill equipped to deal with matters regarding FMLA, reasonable accommodations for individuals with a disability, and once management finds out you have a disability you are singled out and viewed as a faulty employee.
Bad place to work
General Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 21, 2019
I was contracting to work as the mail clerk here, sorting incoming mail to 17 different programs as well as sending out mail. I was to deliver NOTHING to any of these people, they were constantly instructed to have someone come down on a daily basis to pick up their mail, but guess what didn't happen. Then consider that incoming mail is mortgages and certifications. Then they blamed me for not getting their mail on time. Then they put a little bit of mail in a tub, hid it in an unused cubicle, then claimed that I did that. I kept ALL incoming mail in the same room with the postage machine, and didn't keep any of it elsewhere. None of the people who work at HUD want to actually do their jobs, and definately don't want to be responsible for their own actions.
Excellent company
Office Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 21, 2019
Great company to work for, great benefits, great management, great environment, excellent facilities, and wonderful business values.
Unfortunately my husband was relocated to FL and I had to leave such a great Company.
Pros
Great core values
Cons
No cons, this Company has it all !!!
Productive workplace with little room to grow.
TECHNICAL ANALYST, PERSPECTA (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVJune 19, 2019
The job itself is not bad, the employees make the job. It can be very laid back. Company/management is not well organized. No mention of how to contact HR in the event you might need to speak with them. Most "promotions" are lateral moves. Management will add extra duties to employees and expect them to provide the same level of service as you would solely on the phones. The customers calling in are not computer literate and are sometimes difficult to work with. Overall its enjoyable, just don't expect to climb a tall latter there. So far after three years, no raises have been given to anyone on the floor. You have to move over to other campaigns (desks) for a chance to make more money or to get any job advancements.
There is not much to say but I did enjoy my time there.
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 11, 2019
The management group I reported to was awesome. Knowledgable and acted with haste. I can't speak for the rest of the department. Overall, my time there was positive.
Intern at HUD
Intern for Community Planning and Development (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 8, 2019
I was an intern at HUD so I have limited exposer to what working at HUD is really like. I did enjoy that people that I worked for and I would recommend working for the Department.
Potential for growth and development
Chief, Account Executive Branch (Current Employee) –  San Juan, PRApril 7, 2019
HUS offers an excellent work environment to develop and grow as employee and manager. In the recent 10 years, I find that HUD is an excellent work place which serves as a platform for serving the community and create a sense of personal and professional satisfaction.
good work place
Deputy Assistant Secretary (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 5, 2019
A typical day for me is working on executive leadership initiatives. you must be open minded and flexible. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people. The hardest part of the job is that HUD is one of the agencies that gets cut during shutdowns.
Pros
It is close to home and I have a parking spot
Cons
50 year old building with antquated heating and air conditioning
Relaxed atmosphere.
Consultant/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 15, 2019
It was nice working there. I was not a direct employee. I was a contractor. The people there were cool to work with. I really can not speak on being a direct employee there.
Revie Summary
Financial Assessment Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 15, 2019
HUD was a good place to work. I enjoyed doing my job and supervising the staff that I had. It was a good experience. A typical day at work was busy with lots of calls. My manager was always very supportive of what I did. The hardest part of the job was dealing with auditors and the most enjoyable part of the job were the people.
Pros
good people
Cons
terrible commute
Great agency mission, but management/culture issues
Legal Assistant/Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 11, 2019
HUD and its various program offices have a phenomenal mission of working to provide affordable housing throughout nation. Very hardworking and committed staff, but significant management issues work to impair work-life balance and overall employee satisfaction.
Fun Workplace
HR Specialist (Benefits & Retirement) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 22, 2019
Bury day every day
Learn something new everyday.
Enjoy what I do.
Enjoy helping customers
Enjoy training other
The most enjoyable part of the job is providing benefits and retirement briefing
Pros
Jub security
Cons
Government is current shortdown-no pay
Great Workplace
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 9, 2019
I truly enjoyed working at HUD. This experience taught me a lot. I had very good training with this organization and would love an opportunity to work here again.
Pros
Free Travel
Hud
Liaison (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 1, 2019
The Department of Housing and Urban Development is a huge bureaucracy and the pace is very slow. Though the government employees are very nice, I prefer working in a fast-paced environment.
productive working environment
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 20410December 6, 2018
• Responded to and coordinate inspection activities for Individual Assistance disasters
• Communicated with FEMA and State disaster stakeholders on inspection-related actions
• Monitored contractor production requirements and quality of work
• Coordinated efforts to resolve disaster-specific challenges
• Quantified key measurable activities using a Quality Assurance Surveillance Plan
• Facilitated meetings with program staff, co-workers for interpreting governmental policies, regulations, and legal guidelines to provide guidance
• Reviewed, Administer, Implement and monitor various programs such as Public Housing Program and Section 8 project-based rental assistance within the Disaster Assistance Housing Program for the purpose of evaluating current policies and procedures.
• Maintained records to ensure completion and accuracy in accordance with federal, state and organizational regulations.
Pros
pay
Cons
short breaks and lunch
Flexible and Family/Work balance company
Interim Enforcement Branch Chief (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 28, 2018
The U.S. Department of HUD is a great place to work especially if you have kids. Its a family/work balance company with weekends and holiday off. It has a flexible telework, compress work schedule policy and family friend. They also provide compensation if your rideshare or use public transportation to work. They provide formal and informal training and lot of opportunity for growth and advancement.
Pros
Family/work balance work schedules
Cons
Stress
Government Agency
Asset Manager (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 10, 2018
Position was very challenging and interesting. Several different components to the job that allowed you to do varying functions and not get bored, including field work.
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 3, 2018
Good place to work. Flexible schedule. Good benefits.
Secure federal government job.
Light travel required. Advancement opportunities.
Good benefits package.
Federal Government
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 25, 2018
Had the opportunity to telecommute 2 days a week. That is the part I enjoyed working with the department.

The of hardest part of my job was working with managers without qualification