U.S. Department of State
73Above average
4.2

U.S. Department of State Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA142 reviews
Great Way to Serve
Completely enjoy serving my country and being a mentor to young men and women who are also seeking to serve their country. Work days are filled with rewarding challenges; opportunity to break paradigms and institute new processes using new technologies. The DoS has a culture of commitment to teamwork and positively representing America to the world. The most difficult part of the job is ensuring products get to the end user in minimal time. The most enjoyable part is working with other and exceeding customer's expectations.
Flexibility
I was given the freedom to work at a variety of Department of State locations while conducting inventory. There was however no support while doing this because on unwillingness to share information.
Pros
Flexibility of work locations
Cons
Poor management
The long commute; terrible manager
My manager/supervisor seemed to take great delight in belittling her staff. She was manipulative, controlling, and obnoxious. When my husband had major surgery she called at 6:00 in the morning demanding that the surgeon fax papers immediately.
Wonderful team
I’m a contractor and the DOS community has been nothing but respectful and loving to all its employees, contractors and FTEs alike. Everyone encourages the best from you and creates an environment where you know your voice can be heard.
Decent flexibility with not a lot of room for advancement.
The job wasn't too stressful. Not a lot of room for advancement. Flexible hours. Not a lot of ability to raises. Since I was a contractor there wasn't a lot of job security.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Great Starter Position
Unfortunately, if you're not a direct hire federal employee, you are limited in career growth depending on the contracting company you work for. Read the fine print.
Excellent work place
As a transitioning service member, I have found DoS to be a great place to work and would recommend it to anyone interested in a globe-trotting lifestyle combined with unique challenges.
excellent place to work
excellent place to work. Awesome people and the teamwork environment is great. From my experience with the Department of State, I have found that it is an incredibly fast paced and sometimes complicated workplace. As an foreign language instructor, I felt like there was a tremendous amount of information to learn.
Great work environment
Awesome people and the teamwork environment is great. Very rewarding, you will be able travel a lot. The opportunities are endless. Everyone here is awesome.
Productive and Inclusive Workplace
I love what I do and the results are very rewarding. I appreciate the fact that I am able to freely discuss ideas on how to implement new processes and more efficient ways to accomplish the DS mission.
Nice
Nice place to work. Friendly environment. Low stress at times. Slow pace. Very festive location. Lots of parties, gatherings, sense of community. Good location away from the chaos of DC traffic. Overall, a decent experience. Most enjoyable part would be the parties.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Cons to every position. Nothing is perfect.
Easy-going workplace
Fairly easy-going environment. Sometimes work became bag-logged as a result of man-power being pulled from one project to focus on another. Great teamwork! Working with agents aid in increasing one's analytical and investigative skills.
Meeting an international audience. Learning how to relate to other cultures in both a professional and personal context was/is very enlightening. It also highlights America's exceptionalism.
The hardest job i have work but love it
Oversee identification of potential operational alternatives, development of policies and procedures, and analysis and evaluation of highly sensitive equipment for which DEAV is responsible for. Manages classified and unclassified pouch / mail for DEAV. Responsible for the oversight of ground transportation of firearms, ammunition, radios, uniforms and equipment to and from (LOC) processing facilities
Don't work here!!
DON'T WORK HERE!! Management will change policies on the fly and reprimand you for not following them. No structure, lots of harassment, management looks out for itself, little career growth, slow work environment, management holds grudges, and you're stressed constantly.

You can do better than this job.
Senior leadership helps mentor new employees. Every day brings new challenges. Proud agency to work for. I tele-worked and had an alternative work schedule, so I had every other Friday off. Great work to life option.
Working in the Department of State
This has been a very fun and productive environment with activities and career opportunities for all. A typical day at work was engaging and customer focused. I learned the entire operation of logistics and was engaged in all of the development and training of the employees worldwide. I managed up to 17 employees in a workplace that promoted careers and education. The hardest part of the job was ensuring that all of our customer’s needs were met in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of my job was the worldwide travel and learning about how to make logistics more profitable and except able for the Department.
Pros
Travel, conferences, workshops
Cons
Hiring new employees
Unique Subculture
Your typical day at work depends on the job that you possess. I learned a great deal about the world and how the United States interacts with other nation states. There is a caste system in place in the department. Foreign Service (generalists) are at the top of the pecking order. Foreign Service Generalists are next in line, followed by Civil Servants. Contractors are at the bottom of the ladder along with local staff around the world. You have to understand this and be able to work with it, if not, you will become frustrated. Always remember that each employee is part of a bigger mission, we all are working to support our diplomatic mission around the world. I loved the ability to travel the world and help keep our staff safe. I didn't like getting a new boss every two years, but that is part of the culture that you need to get accustomed to.
Pros
Great Mission
Cons
work life balance - inconsistent leadership
It’s not a job, it’s an adventure!
Enjoy exquisite international cuisine, and explore the world on the government’s dime. Navigate cutthroat peers, management and overwhelming SOP’s. Prepare to be exposed to the worlds most dangerous battlegrounds, while maintaining professional back peddling techniques. Test your wits, enjoy solitude, lack of sleep and, bean counter analysis mentalities. Invest years of your life, only to be replaced by a contractor! Love it or leave it.
Most enjoable part of the job
They value a work life balance. Everyone at tries to make it inviting for new individuals, we have team events, we all try to help each other out when it's needed.
Pros
They're understanding
Fun place to learn
This is one of the best work environments I have ever experienced. Facilities are horrible. But the people and mission guarantee you fulfillment and purpose in the work and life you live.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Department of State. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
Ratings from women
2.7
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
2.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight