U.S. Department of State Employee Reviews

Found 785 reviews matching the search See all 1,024 reviews
That was an exciting time
Part-Time Contract Uyghur language teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 22, 2018
That work was fun and exciting. Because I got the very nice student. She was a hard worker and intelligent. We have a very memorable time during the teaching.
Cons
No cons found
Fantastic
Unpaid Intern (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 22, 2018
Enjoyed my time as an intern with the Department of State. I would prepare case reports for the various case managers. Prepare weekly reports to send to the branch manger. Help train other interns.
Rewarding and Challenging
Acting Unit Chief (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 22, 2018
The dedication and capability of my co-workers is unmatched. I've never seen so many people craving more work, no matter how much we already have on our plates. We work hard and find great personal reward in what we accomplish. The management is attentive and supportive, on the whole, but unique individuals have the unfortunate ability to spoil the soup. From my best manager I learned the value of maintaining a relaxed work-place even in the face of chaos, and the value of harboring true respect for the work your people do.
Its Ok
Passport Support Associate (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJuly 13, 2018
There is opportunities for improvement but for myself, its just a step to where a want to be. This job isnt for everyone but if you like sitting in front of a computer shuffling papers all day, then this is the job for you.
This is a excellent place to work
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 13, 2018
State Department is a great place to work for recent college students and government career employees.

State Department is excellent choice if you want to work with Public Diplomacy.
Pros
your 15 minutes break
Cons
the enviroment
Interesting Agency to learn.
Senior Contract Specialist, Contractor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 12, 2018
The Department's Mission is unique. A typical day would consist of conversing with the Program office and providing contracting support. I learned a lot about the country we supported.
Pros
Interesting Mission
Cons
Complex
Great
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 10, 2018
If you are a "team guy" and a person that can be counted on, this is a great position. Loved the travel, the different countries and the people that took part in these programs.
The best job I ever had
Office of the S & T Adviser to the Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 9, 2018
A day at the State Department is a year of experience, insight, impact and learnings anywhere else. If I had known about this when I was a 22 year old graduating college, my life would have taken a much different trajectory - I'd have started there!
Productive public service work tech for good
Product Owner Business Intelligence and Analytics (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 8, 2018
Great public service work in fast-paced environment. Great leadership with a great mission. Colleagues are committed to success of the mission. Choose public service. Tech for good.
Pros
great leadership
Great work environment.
Federal Contractor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 5, 2018
Exceptional environment with great employees that assisted where needed. Staff welcomed the opportunity to educate new employees regardless of their working background.
Pros
Upward motivation.
Cons

Want to know more about U.S. Department of State?

Ask a question
Department of State
Uniform Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 3, 2018
A typical day at work would be arriving 45 minutes prior to duty, this is called guardmount. Once you arrived you would dress and (gired-up) weapon. Once you are ready for duty management would you complete a roll call briefing and have you sign on for duty, at that time you will relieve your co-worker 10 minutes before your duty. Access control is 100% of our job. The hardest part of the job is standing for 12 hours, the most enjoyable part of my job is meeting people from different parts of the world.
Pros
Salary
Cons
no cons
Imagine waking up each morning looking forward to the fun that you’re going to have at work that day! People there are well refined and intelligent
Senior Adviser (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 28, 2018
I love learning---from books; learning from other people's experience; and learning from day-to-day work. That is why I applied for the FRANKLIN FELLOOWS Program. I thought it would be a wonderful opportunity to learn and it was.
Every day was new and different and I had the opportunity to learn new technology tools and take online classes-- many of which were a real discovery for me.
I learned so much from my program. I learned to be more organized in terms of time management because the life pace in the State Department is faster in general. And I learned to think and act more independently. But most importantly, I learned that there are so many people coming from different cultures and countries who share and promote the same values such as human rights, transparency, and equal opportunities for education. Knowing all these gives me peace and happiness.
Pros
It’s humbling
Cons
Very interesting company to work for.
Special Background Investigator (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 28, 2018
Very fair organization and I would still be employed if there were openings in Fla where I transferred to. Company is fair as far as work schedule and assignments. Only down was payments had to come out of Charleston, SC for direct deposit.
Pros
Ability to work load desired
Great work pkace
Interpreter/Translator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 27, 2018
The State department is a great place to work for both professionally and salary wise. I would recommend it all my friends and colleagues. I am enjoying my time there.
Working here
Senior Firearms Instructor (Former Employee) –  Summit Point, WV 25446June 27, 2018
The work is exciting and thrilling. Being able to teach others to shoot is always fun. Especially new Agents. The bad part is there is no upward mobility.
Pros
Fun Job
Cons
No upward mobility
Fair work environment
Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Rosslyn, VAJune 26, 2018
The job is straight forward with no pressure. Advancement is possible but can be political. I have opportunities to implement my own ideas but restricted with creativity. This is a very professional work environment.
Office Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 23, 2018
If you're interested in foreign affairs or foreign policy, the State Department is the place to be. Your success and your advancement will depend on how hard you work.
Great opportunities to work on large development projects
Virtual Student Foreign Service Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 23, 2018
This off-site internship program allowed very flexible working hours for students. I was able to adjust by schedule to work with teams comprised of State Dept employees, contractors, and fellow interns. We were given a high level of autonomy and encouraged to use our creativity and expertise to problem solve.
Complete approximately 15-20 work orders per day.
Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 17, 2018
It was challenging to coordinate the work orders with the occupants so that our workers could repair/fix the problem. The working environment in Facilities was excellent. They were are workers.
Pros
Good benefits working for State Department.
Cons
Specialist looked down upon by Generalists.
Best Job
Special Agent/Attache (Former Employee) –  GlobalJune 16, 2018
I really liked working for the US Dept of State. However changes in my personal priorities and family made my departure necessary. It is a great job for someone who wants a bit of adventure but not a whole lot of control over their life (e.g. where they will have to live or move every few years).
Pros
Great people generally with a common mission
Cons
Limited ability to control life