U.S. Department of the Navy
77Above average

U.S. Department of the Navy Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA65 reviews
The navy is a great way to serve your country with many great benefits included. Experience, healthcare, retirement, college benefits. It is a tough place to work but as long as you work hard you will succeed.
No structure. Lack of compassion for employees. Unorganized. Lack of support. Poor Management. High turnover rate. Unfairness. Lack of support, Lack training.
Promotion opportunities and education opportunities are not always available. Although the organization speaks highly of diversity, it is not always apparent when it comes to positions that shows diversity.
Pros
Innovation, work with up to date designing tools and software.
Cons
Takes months to get software, don’t encourage people to get higher education opportunities and degrees.
It’s a great company to work for the navy has showed me a lot along they way from accountability to customer service being responsible in any and everything I do.
Great people and one on one training from supervisor and co-workers was excellent. I would recommend this position to job seekers looking for government experience.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
All info captured in survey. I was very pleased with the Navy and enjoyed being an officer in the United States Navy. I would encourage others to join.
Best Job for 30+ years. Had the opportunity to travel the world and experience other cultures. Received a great deal of training in Labor Relations, Operations and Health Care community in state side military hospitals and military operations.
Choose your rate, choose your fate. This saying reigns true for many rates with abysmal advancement rates. The testing process is archaic and many good sailors don't get promoted because of the evaluation process and having to rote memorize things for a test you basically never use in your day to day operation.

Other than that, the pay is pretty good if you're married and stationed in a high BAH area. Benefits are great if you have kids. Great if you're single and deployed and save your money. Don't buy a mustang as soon as you get your first paycheck and you'll be fine.
If not for a change of management i would have remained with Department of Navy, I enjoyed the job and the Navy atmosphere. Being a Navy veteran i understood the culture.
excellent location, hard working individuals
facilities are top notch

always support for employees

team building activities

Leadership very accommodating and flexible with staff

I was given every opportunity for training and professional development

Flexible working schedule and offsite remote teleworking was great
Everyone is very nice and willing to help in any way possible. Each person would take advantage of teachable moments that arose. The office group was social and often ate lunch together or celebrated birthdays, etc.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, great office environment
Cons
Long hours sometimes, bad traffic/commute
I really enjoyed my time in and would recommend joining the service to anyone. Being in supply gave me the option to try many aspects of logistics and discover my passion for the field.
Do something great with your life and make the money with the benefits you and your family deserve! One can not go wrong with any Navy Command, its up to you to make the best of it
Work/life balance was good. Interesting projects to work on and lots of opportunities to explore your interests. Red tape and bureaucracy unfortunately gets in the way of doing truly great work.
Solid industry performance. Acquisition of the company and diversification limited margin and expansion of base business through growing profitability pressure for long time employees
Pros
Cons
Sale of company
The Navy was good treated me well. Got to travel the world make excellent friends and great money. Took care of my family living off the military. Great
Good facility to learn how Military medicine works. Hours are good. Pay is good. Benefits are good. Facility is huge but very clean, has underground shops/resturants
Pros
Great food
Cons
Too far from home
Excellent for young adults who seek to better themselves and learn what they are passionate about. Provides a stable income and teaches the values of honor, courage, and commitment.
Overall this is a good place to work as a civilian. Although civil service as a whole has changed over the years pros are more telework and flexible schedules. Cons are not as much job security and lower pay raises.
Management within the HR office was terrible. Constant harassment of the employees. Supervisors spent more time looking for things wrong than training or getting actual work done.
Pros
Fellow coworkers
Cons
lack of training and proper supervision
I came into the US Navy just a few years out of high school without a direction for my career. I've now spent 12 years in the Navy and have progressed from a high school education to a Master's Degree, I've traveled the world, and will retire before turning 50. The US Navy is tasking, and much is asked of you, but opportunities abound if you are willing to put in the work.
Pros
Education
Cons
Length of time away from family
Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Department of the Navy. Our community is ready to answer.
2.4K