U.S. Department of the Navy

benefitmilitarysailordeploymenttravelunitetrainskill

U.S. Department of the Navy insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose

Great benefits, lot of good people to work with, high sense of accomplishment at work, healthy company culture.

The job provides opportunity for advancement, encourages teamwork, promotes high work culture with sense of accomplishment for organization mission. The corporate headquarters set good examples for employees to follow. Leadership cares for the well-being of the employee .

Pros

Rewards recognition, cash incentives

Cons

Too much relying on computer technology

Good Pay with Benefits

Well funded and recession-proof. Excellent healthcare with dental and 401K benefits. Each member has his/her own experience, but today's Navy is a wonderful place to work.

Work isn't too difficult. Great work life balance.

Pretty low stress. Difficult to advance. Very slow at times. Benefits are good, especially as you stay longer and the annual leave you get increases per pay period and you are able to carry over personal leave into the next year.

Excellent benefits, flexibility, occasionally boring

Benefits and work flexibility with respect to hours is incredibly flexible. I have never experienced anything like it before. Pension if you stay long enough, along with ~5% match for TSP (like a 401k or 403b).Downsides are mainly that you may get stuck with a role that is boring at times. I think the great support from management, the flexibility, and the compensation make up for that though.

Pros

Flexible hours, pay, retirement benefits

Cons

Contractors do most of the interesting work

Good and so-so

Good is steady paycheck, so-so is skills learn not transferable to private sector, I know how to do every job in a hospital but not qualified to do any

Great

Have been very happy with my time in the navy and feel that the life lessons and experiences are extremely valuable. I think that the benefits are undervalued.

Federal job security but trapped in the past.

The benefits (health, life, retirement) are fantastic and job security is a lock (you literally cannot be fired for incompetence). But I write console applications in dead languages for dead operating systems. I have never written a web application and haven't come near a microservice framework or container.We do important work, but we are bogged down by old system architectures that force us to use compatible (old) technologies to do it.We were informed last year that we would be able to work from home up to 80% of the time. Then on 30 Jan, we were abruptly told to come back to the office in 29 days, and nobody was getting more than 40% telework, no matter the situation or how well we were able to do our jobs the previous two years. We have no say in the matter.

Great coworkers, low work at times

Pretty good job. Sometimes dont have as much work to do as I’d like but okay for what it is. Pretty good job security and absolutely love the people i work with but not always that way at different locations.

Good benefits

It is what it is if the government. There is always opportunity for advancement maybe not necessarily in your department. The benefits are really good and there is a sense of job security.

Great new beginning!

Perfect for someone who doesn’t know what they want to do career wise! Great benefits for you and your family! Great if you like networking and meeting new people.

Pros

Benefit and advancement opportunities

Cons

Work load at time can be crazy!

Best Job I Ever Had In My Life

I hate to sound like a commercial for the US Navy, but this was the best job I ever had in my life. At first, (back in 1985), my career started out slow. I felt like I was going nowhere. I got out for a while. My parents took ill, and I took care of them till they passed. I went back around 2001 and that's when my career took off, and I didn't look back. I enjoyed every minute of it. I served in the reserves most of my career. I got to see the world, (just as they promised), and I loved it. It was incredible. I just wish my parents could have seen some of the pictures I took. Japan was the best!

Okay place to work.

It's a good place to work. Managers give you a lot of independence and flexibility to do your job. The down side is that many of the programs are under resourced.

Pros

Flexible schedule, good managers

Cons

undermanned, underresourced

Enjoyable and productive

I do not need 150 words to express my sentiments and appreciation for the 35 years of service in the U.S. Navy. My answers are not in the present but in the past as I retired in 1992.There were no typical days at work, each day had the potential of wide variations.I served both as a follower and as a leader depending on the tasking that I was assigned. The hardest part of my job was to anticipate and plan for assignments in a changing environment. The most enjoyable part was doing my best once the plan was signed and approved.

Pros

No free lunches but plenty of good enjoyable days served with personnel under my leadership.

Cons

Leaders that did not want to follow regulations.

Looking for something else.

Very unfulfilling unsaticfied work. There is a lot of accountability with no direction on how to do anything or what to do. The pay is much lower than the private sector.

Pros

Good benefits (time off)

Cons

If you have a supervisor position you are treated like you are always guilty of something, and you don't have the rights that you are forced to give others. NEVER AGAIN.

Work with a purpose. Some federal employees take advantage of the job security.

Important work being done there. A minority of the people do a bulk of the work and they are a pleasure to work with.They are flexible with teleworking if the need arises.Meetings tend to be longer and than necessary and many times accomplish little.

A privilege to work for Navy

Every time I do something for work, I know I am supporting our fleet and sailors. Great learning opportunities and advancement upward and laterally.

Pros

Great flex work time options

Cons

Management style can be rigid at times

Good place to work if you can take the bureaucracy and bad IT.

Good place to work if you can take the bureaucracy and bad IT. Good pay, good advancement potential if you can stand the endless meetings. Pension and decent benefits. No dental, however. Most positions are not telework friendly over 8 hours per week.

Always confident in your role and expectations

Hard to compare to normal jobs but lots of freedom to create your own goals. There was always work and opportunities to join other teams or projects. Everyone went beyond to ask about your home life and if you needed anything. The active duty were like family.

psychologist

Job is very stressful and very little support is provided on a regular basis. There needs to be more movement potential as well. Managers are inadequately trained.

Not much work culture to speak of. There are better options.

There isn't much professional growth to speak of. Your job title is engineer, but that is in name only. You get decent benefits, but that is it. The culture is not good and you're left on your own for most of the week.

Pros

Benefits, time off, and that's really it.

Cons

You will not use your engineering degree here. Not beneficial from a growth standpoint.

I have worked for the Air Force and I prefer working for the Navy. Also the Navy is good about giving time off before holidays.

I have worked for the Air Force and I prefer working for the Navy. The Navy is good about giving you time off the day before a holiday. And I have never has my leave denied.

Pros

Don’t micromanage and love the paid time off before holidays.

Cons

No cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Department of the Navy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits