U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Employee Reviews

4.5
Ratings breakdown
Excellent Work Environment
Documentarian (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 18, 2018
Through my university I was given the opportunity to create a short documentary for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service on one of their Fire Management Officers. The officer I was assigned to was incredibly kind and great to collaborate with. I would definitely recommend either collaboration or employment with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
Nice atmosphere
Legal Translator (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 1, 2018
I worked as a volunteer for US F&W. I really enjoyed my job there.
I translated legal agreements between Mexico and US. It was a great experience. I learned about birds of the United States.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
far away
Work
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Los Banos, CAApril 16, 2018
Good place to work. Downfall is grades. People are good to work with. Learned a lot. Loved the wildlife areas and ability to go out to see it. Got good experience.
Quiet but Friendly Place
Office Automation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COFebruary 20, 2018
During my employment, the company was undergoing a major transition. As a result, I'm sure my experience is not the norm. I received little training from my immediate manager and was given mostly busy work. Unfortunately, I never got to do what I was actually hired for.
maintaining public lands
Engineering Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORFebruary 17, 2018
Great place to work, I would recommend to anybody who is looking for a good no great job. I wish there were more jobs like this out there, but now that the current administration has cut funding for federal jobs, I do not see very many jobs of this nature
Relaxed, comfortable environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Shepherdstown, WVJanuary 28, 2018
I was just an intern for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, however, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the agency. If I had the opportunity to become a full time employee, I would have loved to worked for this agency.
productive and fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, VAJanuary 25, 2018
U.S. Fish and Wildlife provides a great work environment. Everyone is extremely respectful and hardworking towards a common goal. All of my coworkers were very dedicated to their job, yet very relaxed on a day to day basis.
Volunteer Worker
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Roma, TXJanuary 19, 2018
I was a volunteer worker and the work was nice and easy. You had to dust and put away props and also clean the garden of any weeds. You also had to refill the bird feeders.
Volunteer Work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Roma, TXJanuary 19, 2018
I would volunteer. Some days were different I would get there early or late and clean the building and its gardens. The flow of traffic of people through there was very small because it was a small town.
Outdoors workplace
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJanuary 15, 2018
I was able to work mostly unsupervised while maintaining equipment and the trails on the Wildlife Refuge and enjoying observing Eagles, Deer and Turkeys while doing so.
Pros
Environment
Cons
Seasonal employment
Maintenance supervisor
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLJanuary 13, 2018
If you can get in with U.S Fish&Wildlife, I would highly recommend it, It is a great place to work and it was one of the best positions I ever had. I would work for them any time , if they asked.
Pros
The people
Very innovative managment
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Hadley, MAJanuary 4, 2018
Great management - always encouraging everyone to develop in their professions - always encourage training and would be bring training into the office.
Pros
training, collaborative, free thinkers
A great place to work
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vero Beach, FL 32960December 4, 2017
While working for the U.S Fish& Wildlife service I got todo a lot of interesting things. I rebuild the boardwalk at the Pelican Island wildlife refuge and dealt with a lot of interesting people, while saving the Federal Government hundreds of thousands of dollars in tax payer revenue. It was one of the best positions I ever had in my employment career.
Pros
great pleace to work
Cons
Tempary position
SCA Intern
SCA Intern (Former Employee) –  Eufaula, ALNovember 14, 2017
Had a fascinating experience working on the refuge. Learned a lot about natural resource management working on the swamp, a place I had known nothing about. Small organization and refuge, but the people gave their work all their available quality.
fun place to work
Office Support Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Naples FLOctober 17, 2017
Great place to work and volunteer. Management is awesome, employees are fun and friendly. Easy going work environment where they help you stretch and grow as a person.
Pros
Awesome place to work
great seasonal position
Wildlife Tract Technician (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 14, 2017
Thanks for the opportunity - a great seasonal position! I learned valuable lessons about the importance of protecting our rangelands in Idaho. I wish this was a permanent position.
Liked it so much I worked for free.
Volunteer full-time (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 2, 2017
The best of humanity and what smart people can do to make the very land water life and fabric of country as outstanding as it was meant to be.
Creativity is possible here at every turn once you learn the quirky ways of the institution and respect the evolution of the system.

There are people here who really do simply want a humble life of constant effort to help the land and other creatures who share it with us.
Pros
Free wilderness fun
Cons
Sell outs in upper management who traded passion for gold.
Productive and pleasant work environment.
Training Technician (Former Employee) –  Shepherdstown, WVAugust 18, 2017
Beautiful campus and surroundings. Employees take pride in the training product they produce and maintaining the best conservation training center programs.
Intensive and rewarding
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAJuly 29, 2017
This job was intensive and rewarding. Always active, always work to be done. Possibility for long hours, overtime, and away trips.

I enjoyed this job more than all others combined.
Pros
good pay
Cons
temp work
Great summer job
Biological Science Aide (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NDJuly 27, 2017
As a biological science aid I was responsible for various tasks; vegetation surveys of both grasslands and forest burn units, butterfly surveys, biological control of leafy spurge using beetle collection and release, banding of American pelican and Canada geese, bluebird box surveys, piping plover habitat surveys, predator control management and trap checks, nest dragging, setting transit lines uses aerial maps, data entry, collecting water control data and various other tasks on the refuge.
Pros
Outside all the time
Cons
bugs