U.S. Government Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
This was a job where I traveled
Corrections Trainer (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJuly 18, 2018
I was in a position where I traveled all over the United States. I enjoyed the job very much. I had some, but not a lot, of interaction with the other people in the department.
I have never worked for thee US Government
Loan Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lindon, UTJuly 16, 2018
I have never worked for the United States Government. I would like to try it some day though. It seems like it would be at the very least a semi stable place to work for.
Sercure employment
Law enforcement pilot (Current Employee) –  North DakotaJuly 13, 2018
Good career, poor management , opportunity for movement. Chances to travel and learn new things most people will not experience. Chances to work in all types of environments.
Can be a stressful work environment
Telecommunications Technician (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAJuly 8, 2018
Salaries are below the private sector, but the benefits are excellent.
You get every holiday off and vacation time your first year.
Background check is pretty involved, so you need to not have any issues hanging out there.
High stress, but life changing.
United States Navy (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 7, 2018
While in the Military, I was very fortunate to be able to travel the world and learn about other cultures. I believe that the experiences I had while traveling, has made me the person I am today. That being said, I believe that government jobs have fantastic benefits. But have very awful hours in my experience.
N/a
Senior Law Enforcement Executive (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC & Multiple LocationsJuly 6, 2018
The United States Government is a very interesting employer with a broad stroke of responsibilities. The career ladder & promotion process needs significant repair in order to be fair for all employees.
Pros
Travel, Training, Mentoring
The u s government was extremely therapeutic.
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 6, 2018
While going through the National Re-entry program, the the Orlando Flordia Re-entry program, the Horry County Re-training program, the Florence County Re-entry program, and the Charleston County Re-entry programs was very enthusiastic, lawful, therapeutic, greatly enlighting, and fulfilling. All of the above was a Wholly Revelation- one that I'd recommend to others globally.
Pros
Garenteed a governmental job, meet serious people, learning new Intel., etc.
Great Culture, Slow to Move Up
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 3, 2018
GAO is a great place to work. Flexible work schedule. Decent Salary. Focus on work life balance is agency goal, but not if you want to move up. Good opportunities to learn new skills. Work is all team based for better or force worse. People are generally great to work with and everyone loves to learn. Challenging to move from DC to work in any of the field offices. Agency is very risk averse and doesn't want to rock the boat. Most reports say the least amount possible to avoid coming to anyone's attention. But the little we do say is normal viewed as accurate and is cited by both sides of the debate. No culture of performance management. Great and horrible workers receive the same minimal wages.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedule, Good People
Cons
Pay is low until you have been there for numerous years. Very Risk Averse
Great research project working with the GAO
Team editor and Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJuly 2, 2018
A research project required for graduation at our school. The Government of Accountability is very helpful. From the experience, I learned about the evaluation methods and standards of GAO.
A great career starter and more
Supervisory Electronics Engineer (Former Employee) –  VariousJuly 2, 2018
Although I decided to leave government service relatively early in my professional career, that decision was driven more by the availability of promotable positions in locations where I desired to live than by the organization itself. Had there been availability in the right locations, I would likely be there now.
U.S. Small Business Administration
GENERAL ATTORNEY (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 29, 2018
The work is challenging and some leadership allows collaborative work within the team. The legal processes are set and the process of implementing the legal analysis can be a different learning process for each loan.
Relaxed working environment, with great management.
Tools and Parts Attendant/Motor Vehicle Operator (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, TXJune 25, 2018
Great working environment, learned new things about supply, Ordering and issuance of tools and parts. It was slow paced, and had great vacation PTO. Health dental and vision, along with great retirement plan.
Great job
US Navy (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 24, 2018
Learned a lot about myself and serving my country were outstanding. Seeing the the world was great. Seeing foreign countries and cultures was out standing.
Pros
Great schools
Cons
Lots of time spent at sea.
It was a great career for me
Locksmith (Former Employee) –  Sheppard AFB, TXJune 20, 2018
Working for the U.S. Government was a great job for me. It was stable and it paid well, with many good benefits.I am happy for the experience, and for the pension.
Only a One-Day Job, But Learned So Much
GENERAL ELECTION CLERK (Former Employee) –  La Crescenta, CAJune 20, 2018
In 2016, I was recommended by my Honors Government teacher to work for the presidential election (leading candidates Clinton and Trump). It was a highly educating experience to get a closer look into the way voting and the government worked, especially as I had just turned 17 and was closer to the voting age.
Pros
Learning more about democracy, food was provided
Cons
Long, essentially never-ending shifts, working with much older people was sometimes difficult
Gpo
Security Specialist PG5 - Access Control Officer (Current Employee) –  DCJune 18, 2018
GPO is a great place to work. Employees are caring and kind. Supervisors care for theere employees ensuring they receive the best care. GPO is an awesome place.
Loved It
Bill Paying Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greece, NYJune 16, 2018
I worked in the bill paying office at NSA Souda Bay, Crete, Greece. I loved it. It was a clerical job along with paying contractors. I only left to return to the states to have my son.
Pros
Enjoyable Job
stressful environment
US Customs and Border Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2018
The job required you to process at least 1 passenger every 2 minutes. Conversations often led to interrogations and follow ups. I learned how to observe body language, the tremor in a voice when falsehoods were given to certain questions, detecting false documents, polite but firm conversation, computer skills.
Pros
401k, lots of overtime
Cons
short breaks
As a 30 years employee of the us government I learned that people matters and you should give your all to them in other words do unto others as you wo
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 12, 2018
Loved my job working with people learning new jobs and getting different experience in different field meet and help people which is my passion go to conferences
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
Not beingable to help people
Overview of Federal Governement
Security Specialist PG5 - Access Control Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 12, 2018
The federal government is a good place to work. The people are nice, the work load is doable and reasonable. You are always paid on time. They help work around your schedule, they offer advanced time off.