U.S. Government

Reviewer Recommended

Recommended Workplaces earn this badge by having an average star rating of 4.2 or higher in the last two years, and at least 10 reviews from Indeed users.

U.S. Government Employee Reviews

Great Culture, Slow to Move Up
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 3, 2018
GAO is a great place to work. Flexible work schedule. Decent Salary. Focus on work life balance is agency goal, but not if you want to move up. Good opportunities to learn new skills. Work is all team based for better or force worse. People are generally great to work with and everyone loves to learn. Challenging to move from DC to work in any of the field offices. Agency is very risk averse and doesn't want to rock the boat. Most reports say the least amount possible to avoid coming to anyone's attention. But the little we do say is normal viewed as accurate and is cited by both sides of the debate. No culture of performance management. Great and horrible workers receive the same minimal wages.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedule, Good People
Cons
Pay is low until you have been there for numerous years. Very Risk Averse
Productive, fun and relaxed
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Doral, FLJanuary 7, 2019
Its a great place to work. The starting pay is great but the advancement is a little scarce. The employees are great and the work life balance is equal. The location is fair but the raises and increases would be great to look forward to
Very rewarding work
Former Writer, Editor, Trainer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC AreaJuly 26, 2018
I loved working for the US government. The work was fulfilling, and there were many opportunities for career development. Management was very supportive.
Pros
Good salary; good opportunities for self-starters
Cons
For the most part working for the government is a good experience of course there is always the management issue and people that want to advance witho
Department of Labor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 31, 2018
I enjoyed the many years that, I spent with the Department. I enjoyed the job it allowed me great Independence and great experience. This particular job opened many doors, I met many employers and learned about many businesses that I would never have had the opportunity had it not been for this particular job. This particular job gave me the opportunity to learn how to negotiate and how important interviews are when you don't have any documentation. I have to say it was a great learning experience.
Pros
The opportunity to work as an independent contractor, at the same time enjoying the benefits of being an employee..
Cons
Overbearing management and Cutthroat employees.
Exciting workplace with different challenges from one day to the next.
Intelligence Officer (Former Employee) –  GloballyOctober 31, 2018
I loved the challenges of being an intelligence officer in a special operations role and knowing that I was playing a crucial role in the national security of the United States.
Pros
Great co workers & management, benefits, challenges, great assignments.
Cons
time away from family and friends
The US Government is a top employer for impact, growth, challenge, benefits, and job security.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 7, 2018
The US Government is a top employer for having positive impact on a broad scale, the ability to move around within your hired department, health care benefits, vacation time, pension plan, career advancement, and training in everything from job-specific skills to leadership and IT savvy.
Great Place to Work
IT Program Manager HR Systems (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 10, 2019
I have nothing but great things to say about the US Federal Government. Very supportive of work/life balance, amazing job security, encourages training, can make a comfortable living, can learn great KSAs, travel opportunities here and abroad.
Can be hard place to work
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cherry Point, NCDecember 14, 2018
management is overall not that good when it comes to personnel issues. very few "good managers" It would be nice to see a more productive and "Google" like atmosphere that makes employees happy.
Pros
job security
Cons
drama and harassment
Budget analyst
BUDGET ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Fort Monmouth, NJSeptember 6, 2018
• Provided program analysis for funds totaling $125 million
• Administered budget and disburse funds to 40 different accounts
• Prepared annual budget projections and forecasts
• Analyze variances and provided solutions and reports to senior management
• Compiled monthly financial reports and briefed management
Pros
security
Cons
limited advancement
Federal employment great career and a lot of benefits
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 25, 2018
Worked various agencies over 40 years until retired. Excellent employment and opportunity to built a career with advancements and training. Benefits excellent.
Pros
Health benefits, advanacement, training
Cons
No comment
Good for serious people
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJanuary 2, 2019
I wouldnt do it unless youre looking into making a career out of it. Great Leadership within the organization and amazing benefits towards people serving.
Premiere Federal Agency with Rewarding Results
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 3, 2018
GAO is one of the premiere Federal agencies in the Government. As a Legislative Branch Agency, GAO is unique in that it works under the direction of Congress, instead of the President. Working at GAO was a very valuable learning experience for me. Not only did we work for Congress but also worked on behalf of the American taxpayer. Our mission was to look for any areas of fraud, waste and abuse of Federal money, agency program management, and polices and procedures. While the work could be very intense and stressful at times, it was also very rewarding in the knowledge that we were working to improve the Goverment.
High stress, but life changing.
United States Navy (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 7, 2018
While in the Military, I was very fortunate to be able to travel the world and learn about other cultures. I believe that the experiences I had while traveling, has made me the person I am today. That being said, I believe that government jobs have fantastic benefits. But have very awful hours in my experience.
Structural Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Cherry Point, NCMarch 26, 2018
A typical day at work varies depending on projects. I learned knowledge about all the trades from carpentry, electrical, plumbing, painting, etc.
Management advised when necessary but otherwise let you do your job. My workplace culture was positive and fun and this allowed for great employee morale. There was no hard part to my job. I enjoyed the people I worked with.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Would not recommend for cybersecurity
Computer Network Defense Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 6, 2018
I would not recommend working for the government unless you are right out of college. For what you do the pay is very low. If you have love of countrt, hey do it. But if you looking for a career fed work will hurt you. Unless your with a good agency. For Cybersecurity it's hit or miss I would work for a contractor first. With the shut downs government isn't what it us to be.
Pros
Some what stable, serving the American people
Cons
Low pay, long hours, little upward mobility
Sercure employment
Law enforcement pilot (Current Employee) –  North DakotaJuly 13, 2018
Good career, poor management , opportunity for movement. Chances to travel and learn new things most people will not experience. Chances to work in all types of environments.
Review
Interpreter/Insurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 16, 2018
The federal government is too big not too explore. Great benefits and work life balance but when it comes to advancement and management it's based on budget.
Team Oriented
Asst to Federal Investigator, EEOC (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 13, 2019
Workplace environment is very collaborative and team members willingly share their knowledge and readily help others to provide solutions to problems. Leadership is encouraging in nature.
Pros
Feedback, Collaboration
Cons
Career advancement
Youth Director for Base Chapel
GS-7/Youth Minister and Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sigonella, ItalyDecember 21, 2017
Planning weekly Bible studies for two groups (grades 4-7 & 8-12).
Plan monthly activity and procure logistics to the activities.
Plan Spring and Fall Missions Trip.

Learned how to work in a multicultural environment. Counseling skills and how to maintain Confidentiality. Problem solving and enhanced my computer skills.

Management was both through and interested in personal as well as team development.

Workplace was both multinational as well as religiously diversified.

Driving to work in Italy. Understanding a different culture and how to come to common goal ensuring a positive outcome for the chapel youth.

Developing relationships and being available to provide wise counsel to the chapel youth while watching the chapel grow. It grew from 25 to over 300 in the three years that I worked there.
Pros
Goverment job and its benefits
Cons
Launguage barrier
Review follows
Imagery Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAMarch 17, 2018
Some areas were high tech and exciting, some were stressful, and some had too much paperwork. Mentoring was more than adequate and schools to upgrade your skill set were always available. There was also adequate time and equipment to improve your job insight. I enjoyed the techie stuff. The hardest part of the job was when military/political enemies made uncalculated moves. Culture was supportive. Management was supportive. I learned much about DoD, IC. Mil, etc.
Pros
great software, important "target" material
Cons
odd and rotating shifts for "what i did".