U.S. Government Employee Reviews

Working Armored/Safety Quaility Control
subject matter expert (Amored Equipment/Vehicles (Former Employee) –  Washington Navy Yard, DCSeptember 18, 2018
Enjoyed working in CIF and on the Vehicle Team, Travel and building, inspection and certification of completed Armored Vehicles. Inspection and certification of Bullet proof equipment, clothing, equipment for all types of missions.
Pros
Travel/Inspection/Safety
Cons
N/a
Benefits heavy
Logistical Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 9, 2018
The life working with the United States Government can be very rewarding and incredibly fast paced. The offered benefits are always welcome and are something that keeps you coming back everyday
Budget analyst
BUDGET ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Fort Monmouth, NJSeptember 6, 2018
• Provided program analysis for funds totaling $125 million
• Administered budget and disburse funds to 40 different accounts
• Prepared annual budget projections and forecasts
• Analyze variances and provided solutions and reports to senior management
• Compiled monthly financial reports and briefed management
Pros
security
Cons
limited advancement
Happily served my country.
United States Army and Army National Guard (Former Employee) –  ArizonaSeptember 3, 2018
The military was a great start for me to get out and do something with my life. Even though being in the military was not my passion, I'm still glad that I served.
Pros
Always progressing.
Cons
Lots of time away from family.
independent contributor
Construction analyst (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAAugust 31, 2018
setting appointments and following through with meetings and inspections in the field. Hardest part of the job is managing the monotony while the easiest is the job function itself.
Great job, great co-workers
Education and Training Technician (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, TXJuly 29, 2018
great job, slow paced, excellent co-workers, enjoyed working/assisting navy and marine student pilots, out of all my jobs, this one was the best/favorite out of all
Pros
time in, great sick/leave hours
Cons
competting with disabled vets for higher positions
Very rewarding work
Former Writer, Editor, Trainer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC AreaJuly 26, 2018
I loved working for the US government. The work was fulfilling, and there were many opportunities for career development. Management was very supportive.
Pros
Good salary; good opportunities for self-starters
Cons
This was a job where I traveled
Corrections Trainer (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJuly 18, 2018
I was in a position where I traveled all over the United States. I enjoyed the job very much. I had some, but not a lot, of interaction with the other people in the department.
I have never worked for thee US Government
Loan Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lindon, UTJuly 16, 2018
I have never worked for the United States Government. I would like to try it some day though. It seems like it would be at the very least a semi stable place to work for.
Sercure employment
Law enforcement pilot (Current Employee) –  North DakotaJuly 13, 2018
Good career, poor management , opportunity for movement. Chances to travel and learn new things most people will not experience. Chances to work in all types of environments.
Can be a stressful work environment
Telecommunications Technician (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAJuly 8, 2018
Salaries are below the private sector, but the benefits are excellent.
You get every holiday off and vacation time your first year.
Background check is pretty involved, so you need to not have any issues hanging out there.
High stress, but life changing.
United States Navy (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 7, 2018
While in the Military, I was very fortunate to be able to travel the world and learn about other cultures. I believe that the experiences I had while traveling, has made me the person I am today. That being said, I believe that government jobs have fantastic benefits. But have very awful hours in my experience.
N/a
Senior Law Enforcement Executive (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC & Multiple LocationsJuly 6, 2018
The United States Government is a very interesting employer with a broad stroke of responsibilities. The career ladder & promotion process needs significant repair in order to be fair for all employees.
Pros
Travel, Training, Mentoring
The u s government was extremely therapeutic.
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 6, 2018
While going through the National Re-entry program, the the Orlando Flordia Re-entry program, the Horry County Re-training program, the Florence County Re-entry program, and the Charleston County Re-entry programs was very enthusiastic, lawful, therapeutic, greatly enlighting, and fulfilling. All of the above was a Wholly Revelation- one that I'd recommend to others globally.
Pros
Garenteed a governmental job, meet serious people, learning new Intel., etc.
Great Culture, Slow to Move Up
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 3, 2018
GAO is a great place to work. Flexible work schedule. Decent Salary. Focus on work life balance is agency goal, but not if you want to move up. Good opportunities to learn new skills. Work is all team based for better or force worse. People are generally great to work with and everyone loves to learn. Challenging to move from DC to work in any of the field offices. Agency is very risk averse and doesn't want to rock the boat. Most reports say the least amount possible to avoid coming to anyone's attention. But the little we do say is normal viewed as accurate and is cited by both sides of the debate. No culture of performance management. Great and horrible workers receive the same minimal wages.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedule, Good People
Cons
Pay is low until you have been there for numerous years. Very Risk Averse
Great research project working with the GAO
Team editor and Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJuly 2, 2018
A research project required for graduation at our school. The Government of Accountability is very helpful. From the experience, I learned about the evaluation methods and standards of GAO.
A great career starter and more
Supervisory Electronics Engineer (Former Employee) –  VariousJuly 2, 2018
Although I decided to leave government service relatively early in my professional career, that decision was driven more by the availability of promotable positions in locations where I desired to live than by the organization itself. Had there been availability in the right locations, I would likely be there now.
U.S. Small Business Administration
GENERAL ATTORNEY (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 29, 2018
The work is challenging and some leadership allows collaborative work within the team. The legal processes are set and the process of implementing the legal analysis can be a different learning process for each loan.
Relaxed working environment, with great management.
Tools and Parts Attendant/Motor Vehicle Operator (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, TXJune 25, 2018
Great working environment, learned new things about supply, Ordering and issuance of tools and parts. It was slow paced, and had great vacation PTO. Health dental and vision, along with great retirement plan.
Great job
US Navy (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 24, 2018
Learned a lot about myself and serving my country were outstanding. Seeing the the world was great. Seeing foreign countries and cultures was out standing.
Pros
Great schools
Cons
Lots of time spent at sea.