U.S. Government Employee Reviews

Sales Director to US Military Procurement Offices
Sales Director to US Government (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX; Seattle, WA; SanDiego, CA; D.C.November 16, 2017
Manage and direct sales to Us Military Sales Procurement Offices including Commissary & Exchanges, Retail locations both on/off base, bulk-purchasing entities; i.e. hospitals, export officers.
Reliable Place to Work
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 15, 2017
I enjoyed working with my coworkers, they were very nice and sociable. The main problem I had working for the government was all the bureaucracy, "red tape." I felt that most things could not get done within a reasonable deadline because of all the inputs and approval needed.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Bureaucacy
Enoyed working for all three offices but just temporary each one.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Nevada, MONovember 14, 2017
Worked for all three office at the Soil Conservation service, Agricultural Soil Conservation service and the Farm and Home Administration. Enjoyed doing all three jobs but just short term positions for the jobs. Wish they could have lasted longer. But was blessed to be moved from one program to the next. Worked there three years.
Great Job
Maintenance Supervisor & Planning (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaNovember 11, 2017
Work little more than 10hrs
Management training
Learned Time Management
Study work
Working with others are welcome
Training is essential
Paid off with Special Interest
Working with others a plus
Paid time off
Work Load is Regular
training is great
Pros
Good benfits
Cons
Relocate sometimes
Loved making my own hours
Census Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Clayton, GANovember 2, 2017
Really enjoyed my direct supervisor. Was able to make my own hours. Loved meeting my neighbors and getting paid to do it. Great pay and mile reimbursement
great place to be employed
FSA Program Technician (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, MOOctober 30, 2017
This job was very enjoyable and enjoyed helping local farmers and the atmosphere was very pleasant.
I learned a great deal from being in this position.
It was a temporary job that ended. If a job like this was available again in this area, I would apply.
Pros
Close to home, good work environment
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 16, 2017
Great place to work, with great security and good benefits but salaries are slightly lower than the private sector. However, opportunities for growth could be more desirable.
U.S. Government - U.S. Department of State - Stability
Successful production manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 15, 2017
There is a huge component of stability that highlights most work with the U.S. Government. My work has been exclusively with the U.S. Department of State. The interest of working with an organization that deals with foreign affairs provides an intriguing work environment. The work is relatively consistent. My position in HR was most busy during the months of August - December when the height of choosing the people who will serve as the 2nd highest ranking officer at foreign posts in embassies and consulates is in full swing.
Pros
Stability; annual leave and sick leave accumulation; work force
Cons
Split with government service(GS) and foreign service (FS) workforce often provides some resentment
It was a part time job
Computer Aided Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDOctober 11, 2017
It was a part time job. It was a call center for the US Census Bureau. No selling, but sometimes people were quite rude on the phone. You better have a thick skin.
Cons
bad parking
Occupation
Force Protection Specialist, DynCorp, Kosovo (Former Employee) –  Pristina, KosovoOctober 5, 2017
The work location wasn't considered hostile area, which made the pay decrease increasingly from what I used to receive. Management needed adjustment..
Pros
Days off
Cons
Interpersonal Communication Skills
Excellent Place to work. Good job fullfillment.
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, vaOctober 4, 2017
Excellent job. Change needed to work closer to home in Newport News. Job required daily commute from Newport News, Va to Norffolk, Va. Daily grind with almost constant traffic jams to and from work.i
Pros
Every thing else
Cons
Daily traffic issues.
Fun place to work
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 27, 2017
Fun place to work but no room to grow in certain positions, very relaxed schedule and flexible hours but again in certain positions you have no other opportunity to grow.
Pros
All of it
Cons
No room for advancement
I'm a hard worker with a lot of incentive do what is told to do with least back talk also a team player who wants to grow with the company
Sercurity Guard, custodian-porter (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC New York CitySeptember 19, 2017
Working with coworkers is a great thing in a pleasant environment where we are like family. Come to work on time with no excuses when someone needs a day off
Pros
Keep up the good work with a good morning smile
Cons
Never forget where you came from because-nothing is easy no pain no gain
Hard life with huge rewards
Ammunition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ft. Hood, TXSeptember 15, 2017
The typical day started with PT, morning chow and an early formation. Each squad would handle daily assigned tasks and coordinate future tasks. During wartime we conducted task in a timely professional manner.
Very interresting place to work for.
Senior Systems Admininstrator (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 13, 2017
Great benefit and very relax work environment. Excellent health package. It will be nice if the pay is somehow greater or equal to private sector. Overall all is great.
An opportunity for growth and development and a liveable income for my family
Clerk typist, Investigator, Technician (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 12, 2017
My federal career started as an Office Machine Operator at Ft Harrison. I subsequently took 10 years off to be available for my family. My husband was hired as a federal employee to an overseas position and I was volunteered for the Red Cross for 2 years in a Case management position. He subsequently transferred to Phoenix, AZ where I also found employment at two federal agencies - the first in a "term" status and the second as a reinstatement to my career status. I continued continued my employment and subsequently transferred to Indianapolis and worked at Ft. Harrison until my transfer was secured with the Agency where my career status in a Clerk-typist position was secured. I worked as a Clerk Typist, Technician, Investigator, Back to Technician and I retired from that Agency in 1995. (I was an investigator for 15 years)
I performed receptionist duties, multiple training opportunities, served as Federal Women's Representative and participated with other federal agencies finding ways to promote mobility for women in government. We were a cohesive unit at all the agencies I worked for as a government employee and a good work ethic was the norm at the agencies where I was employed. I observed the work of Investigators I worked for, prepared and repaired the files and was subsequently awarded the u[ward mobility position where I received full training at the first stage as a Technician and was subsequently promoted to an Investigator position-the target position. I worked in a high stress position as Investigator but was trained well and dealt with it. As the culture
  more... of the Agency changed and procedures were constantly changing and new employees who I felt differently about federal employment and lacked the zeal to serve the public, I took a downgrade to Technician and worked in that status until an "early retirement".

I had many enjoyable moments when I had satisfied citizens as a result of my efforts on the job, the opportunity to work in collateral duties to further enhance the work environment with employees from other agencies and special occasion events after work and holiday events during the work day.

The hardest part of the job was meeting and exceeding the standards set for our agency! Management had to be great to attain all that I achieved and because of the training by OPM and cooperation of Management and their belief that a well trained employee would be a good employee, I proved them right.
Pros
Training
Cons
Instructor Evaluations were regularly scheduled.
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 5, 2017
Youth were pre-tested to qualify.

Poorly kept classrooms. Two of 6 were excellent.

New (2015) management was inept. Position was enjoyable.
Pros
Scheduled supervision.
Cons
The overall condition of many of the College Centers.
over all good experience
Army infantry soldier PVT 1 (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GASeptember 1, 2017
it was a great experience working with the military. the culture in the army is very family oriented. you can always meet others and hear the story of why they joined. i learned to be happy with what I have and to make the best of a bad situation. it also taught me about time management. on time means you are late because you should have arrived 15 to 30 minutes before your arrival.
Pros
health care, pay, opportunity
Cons
injuries, health
I believe we should be compensated at a higher rate and duties should be shared with the Federal Police.
D.C. Armed SPO-LIEUTENANT (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 30, 2017
A great place to work , but the salary was low and too many levels of management you had to comply with outside your own security firm which made the environment for a Contractor uneasy at times.
Pros
Training from the U.S GPO was great.
Cons
As a Contracting Security Officer, were taking on special tasks at the last minute and personnel was very thin according to manpower.
Us military
U.S. Navy (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 20, 2017
Well trained in numerous areas requiring high levels of skill and technical adaptability in high tech. The submarine force taught me the meaning of excellence and obtaining the rank of Chief Petty Officer was no easy task to accomplish.