U.S. House of Representatives Employee Reviews

Great environment, rewarding work
Rep. Pete Aguilar (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAAugust 8, 2018
It was a rewarding career with interesting work. I enjoyed my time there, however not a lot of room for career advancement. It is a great entry level opportunity with a lot of networking potential.
Pros
Exciting work
Personal Congressional Office
Policy Advisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 31, 2018
Working on the Hill can be amazing, but it is also a challenge. Know that every office has its own rules and leadership style. You will meet so many people and learn about so many things.
Pros
Exposure to information and resources
Cons
No real structure
Good experience
Congressional Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 25, 2018
I was an intern at the time so it's hard to say what their benefits are like. An eye opening experience and a good place to intern at if you are considering law.
A Place to Discover What's IN You
Executive Assistant/Scheduler/Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20515June 2, 2018
I really do not have time to expound upon the benefits and opportunities to soar, the challenges and the personal and professional rewards of working there.

Some Member Offices may not be as growth-centered as others, some Members may be difficult to work for...but if you continually 'deliver the goods' and can be recognized for doing so you WILL survive the tumultuous times. This environment has many challenges, stress factors may be present as in ANY job. The difference is how you respond to the challenges, how you react to the pressures that will arise 'To Get The Job Done.' How resilient are you? How determined are you? How analytical are you? It takes an analytical mind to see the task or project, consider the 'pieces' it will take to accomplish it, and execute.

I loved it. It gave me to room to grow, to master the arena I oversaw, to make extraordinary connections and friend both within the Congressional Complex and outside in major industry and corporations.

And guess what else? When I first began it was in the Senate. Because the job advertisement did not SAY it was a position serving a U.S. Senator, I did NOT KNOW when hired that I would be working for a U.S. Senator until the fourth weekly staff meeting!! When I asked in that meeting WHY did the advertisement NOT TELL that important piece, I was told this: "We did not want a person who wanted to work just BECAUSE it was on Capitol Hill. We wanted a person who wanted to work - period." Well, there you have it.
Pros
Lots
Cons
Some late hours, scheduled and unscheduled (when the business/votes/debates run beyond 6 PM).
Amazing place to work
Deputy District Director/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 22, 2018
Great place to work. Work-life balance, competitive environment, benefits package includes healthcare, vision care, and dental care. Pension plan included. Great environment.
excellent professional development
Managing Attorney Editor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 4, 2018
Enjoyed my time with the House of Representatives. My individual office was a great boon to work for; and I gained valuable experience and knowledge. It is what you come to DC for.
Overall a Good Experience
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDApril 3, 2018
Very good learning experience, but eventually found that this was not something that wanted to pursue further. Work was challenging, but got repetitive.
Good job
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 29, 2018
They push you to work here. Everyone is smart. Do not slack off, or you will not succeed. But, as much as you will loathe having so much work to do, you will love the type of work you do.
Guter Ort für Praktikanten
Praktikum (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20515March 21, 2018
Als Praktikant kann man im US-Kongress einen tollen Einblick in den legislativen Prozess der USA bekommen. Man trifft auf nette Mitarbeiter und weitere Praktikanten.
Stressfull
Staff Asst./Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAMarch 13, 2018
The only part of this whole job that I enjoyed was helping constituents who really needed help.
Other then that too many lies to keep up with and very stressful. It got to the point where I had to document my whole day so when asked about an event took place I would have the truth about what I heard, if I said anything and who was involved. I also felt like I was constantly being watched which I know sounds weird and maybe I was paranoid but it was too stressful.
Great place for college grads
Congressional Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 6, 2018
You learn a ton working in government. Must make friends with people to find jobs. They hours are normal, no over working. Cost of living it high. Fun environment.
High-energy work in politics
Congressional Intern, Rep. Terri Sewell (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 5, 2018
As a congressional intern, I worked approximately 40-50 hours a week to maintain a high-paced work environment around government and policy officials in Washington D.C. I would definitely recommend anyone interesting in politics in any fashion to seek employment on The Hill.
Totally depends on the the member
Legislative Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 22, 2018
Working as a staffer in Congress completely depends on the member you work for and the existing staff. With such a small number of people working in each office, you need to make sure you get along well with them.
Difficult organization to work with
Financial Counselor/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 20, 2018
Difficult organization to work with. Management doesn't step up and manage or meet with the staff for feedback as to how they can improve the department.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Management subpar
Engaging/Rewarding Place to Work
Press Secretary (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 15, 2018
Working for Congress is engaging. The environment is fast-paced, and the work is always changing and the nature of the work is very rewarding, as it is at the epicenter of what is happening in America.
Work at the House of Representatives as a teenager
U.S. House of Representatives Page (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 30, 2018
The now de-funded Congressional Page Program brought 16 and 17 year-olds to live, study, and work on Capitol Hill. Going to school in the attic of the Library of Congress in the morning, and working on the House floor in the afternoon was an unforgettable life experience. For anyone interested in this, the Senate still runs a similar program.
Amazing Growing Experience
Congressional Intern (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 11, 2018
Loved the fast paced work environment, got to meet so many different people and make some great life-long connections. Management was very open and always willing to answer any questions I had.
Fast and Rewarding
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 8, 2018
Working on the ground to assist Americans with communicating with the federal government. Fast paced environment that allows for professional growth and networking at the local level.
Learned a lot.
Community Representative (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYJanuary 8, 2018
The US House of Rep. was a great place to work and be able to learn about the role of government. I enjoyed my time there, and would not hesitate to work for them again.
Fast Paced
Congressional Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 3, 2018
Interesting and fast paced work environment. Some of the people have attitudes, but it is a government job, so you would expect that. There is always something going on.