U.S. Marine Corps

U.S. Marine Corps Employee Reviews

United States26,588 reviews

Found 26,588 reviews matching the searchSee all 27,868 reviews

Productive and fun inviroment

I've enjoyed the work environment and the travel I was fortunate to have done. Management allowed you the freedom of managing the week to week task.

Embrace the suck

It’s a good place to get experience, skills, and you will make good friends that last a lifetime. It does suck a lot and you will do things that you didn’t know you could do

U.S. Marine Corps insights

Based on 5,652 survey responses
What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Sense of belonging
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Fair pay for job

I miss the clowns and not the circus.

You never know what a typical day is going to be like in the Marines. I actually didn't mind this most of the time. You get to meet a ton of different people and do a ton of things that I'd never had the chance to do otherwise. I learned a wide variety of skills while active. I had far more poor leaders/managers than I had good ones. There's a general lack of caring throughout the higher ranks. The culture can only be as good as the unit's leadership allows. The hardest part about the Marines for me was dealing with boot Lt's who are "in charge" yet know nothing and didn't listen to senior enlisted. I enjoyed traveling and meeting new friends throughout my 20 years. I gained many skills and experience in that time. I only wished I played the game better instead of just focusing on doing the right thing. It would've gotten me further in the game.

Challenging and Rewarding

Serving as a Marine is a calling. The Marines you serve with make any sacrifice worthwhile. I truly enjoyed my twenty-four years of service, and would do it again..

Know what you want when you sign the paper

Excellent starting point to gain benefits and advance your career. If you don not know what your getting yourself into you wont like it. With the right plan this can easily be one of the best decisions you can make for your life.

Pros

benefits, experience, networking

Cons

intense culture, long hours, not always great management

High paced and challenging

It’s what you make of it. Push yourself and learn from the leaders that you want to become. If you don’t put out, you will get nothing out of it. Listen to what they tell you in regards to promotion

Work

Hard work, not only in your primary mos but also green side ( physical fitness, swim qualification, rifle qualification, annual training, etc) broken system

Its fun

Marine Corps is great. You get to learn new things and you get to work with great people. It is just like any other job, but it can also be much harder.

Terrible leadership and commands that are emotionally unstable and emotionally unintelligent adults.

Work around emotionally unstable and emotionally unintelligent adults. Commands and other leadership are willing to throw service-members under the bus to save themselves and keep up appearances. Do not recommend until they fix their culture.

Great people but on the organizational side is iffy

To put it simpleIts the best of times and the worst of times. You love the guys around you to death they're the greatest crew imaginable and i wouldn't trade it for the worldOn the other hand you count down your days until you get out to finally get paid more than 30,000 a year and not live in a building where nothing gets fixed and if it does you got a good 3 weeks until its broken again

unit discresion

The people make the career fun, some units are awsome some are terrible, but leadership is what holds the place together. better hope you get a outstanding leader

Great job

Great work environment and a steady place for family. Plenty of time to do college and learn a valuable trade. You get weekends off most places and have the ability to be stationed anywhere.

Either the best or worst experience. But the pros outweigh the cons either way.

The Marine Corps is a strong, cohesive, and and close bonded institution. While your day to day experience may vary from company to company, job to job, you will find friends for life, become a part of an elite institution, and be able to bear the title so few are able to call themselves, a Marine.

Good Time and Bad Times

Like any company, you have bad and good leaders. The upside to this is that personnel come and go due to required rotation every 24-36 months. This means you won't necessarily have to deal with the bad apple for the rest of your career. Benefits are probably the best one will ever see compared to any corporate job, however, the payback is the lack of work/life balance. Expect to work long hours, weekends and be away from your family for months at a time if the need calls for it. Probably the best thing I learned from was how to be a better leader. You have the bad ones that remind you not to be like and those that you want to emulate. The demand to be a leader is high and you must eventually take the role if you want to be promoted.

Exciting

Amazing atmosphere, most people are great, some are not. Always have work to be done, never a dull moment. Everyday is a new adventure with lots of things to do.

Pros

Free gym access

Cons

Some shifts are 25 hours

Great place for experience and benefits

The Marine Corps set me up for life. I am so grateful for all the opportunities that I received. The benefits you received don't seem like much until you realize that they are great. You see that when you are out of the military.

Great learning experience

Great opportunities to learn. Hardest part was location. Not a regular 9-5 office job. On top of supply duties was also expected to be in top physical shape.

Rewarding, but will demand a lot

I don't recommend the Reserves. You have to be willing to play jump rope with the balance between your military and civilian lifestyles. Be very careful of how you let the military impact the best years of your civilian life.

Low morale. Poor management.

Poor management. Poor recognition. Long hours. Really depends on where you get put. Your mileage will always vary. You also get what you put in, but that can only go so far.

Pros

Stable pay if you can handle it.

Cons

Poor management.

Challenging, rewarding, and strong family ties.

Be flexible. Have some humility and be a team player.Job requires initiative. Managers don't appreciate status quo. Work hours are long and can require many hours/days away from family.A brotherhood / sisterhood like no other; bonds that last a life time.

learning new things everyday.

You learn stuff every day. Management could be better but still good, depending on what unit you are at. You will have a sense of belonging to something bigger than yourself and know what you do does matter.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Marine Corps. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.8
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight