U.S. Marine Corps

United States669 reviews

Found 669 reviews matching the searchSee all 28,030 reviews
corpmilitaryusmcbrotherhooddeploymentunitedcountrylife

Usmc

I enjoyed every incredible, amazing, fun, miserable, terrifying, exciting, crazy, beautiful second of my time in the United States Marine Corps. It made me strong mentally and physically and prepared to take on any challenge life has to throw at me.

U.S. Marine Corps insights

Based on 5,943 survey responses
What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Sense of belonging
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Fair pay for job

United States Marine Corps

A typical day at work in the United States Marine Corps consisted of physical fitness at roughly 6am three days per week. Maintaining various military vehicles took up a bulk of the day, as well as utilizing vehicles for pickups and drop offs of cargo. Management throughout the workday was strict and organized, and it created discipline throughout the enlisted ranks. The main reason I thrived was because I was hard-working and dedicated. I learned how to delegate driving assignments in the most logical manner to maintain efficiency. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that I was an integral part of the success of the United States Marine Corps. The hardest part of the job was motivating individuals who were not as hard-working, but once they realized their potential, it was the most rewarding part.

Pros

Sense of pride from military service

Cons

Being away from friends and family

Horrible

I served under horrible as I did good. The simple fact that the bad outweigh the good is unbelievable. I was a 3531 and i just got out of the service and needed a CO to sign some papers to get a waiver for my CDL and the MTSgt at 8th Com said I wasn't his Marine so he wasn't going to help. It's good to see that the term once a Marine always a Marine has lost its value.

Pros

you meet people that help self growth

Cons

Toxic

Not worth it.

Dont join the marines. It's way softer than you think. Leadership doesnt care about your well being, the free health care is trash(your better off dying). Nothing but a bunch of grown adults that sit around and play childish games. Even though they claim they accept women it's the most sexiest environment for women to be in

Physically demanding job.

The marines is not for everyone. It is very physically and mentally demanding. Long hours and sometimes you might not come home for a period of time. All in all if you want to feel as you belong and a family bond with strangers then the corps is for you.

Pros

medical benefits

Cons

working hours

Productive, challenging, and very rewarding.

Everyday was different and unique. I learned to communicate with all types of personalities and lead in with different methods. I was able to combine leadership skills with management skills and it lead to positive outcomes. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing others who I helped or mentored succeed in whatever they were trying to accomplish.

Fun.

Get to see the desert...a lot. There is no such thing as a typical day. I learned a lot. Great way to develop management skills. The hardest part of the job is leaving.

Challenging and strict work environment with strong emphasis on leadership and discipline.

Very tedious, full of adventure and great leadership opportunities.

A typical day at work was a minimum 10 hours and additional hour of physical training. I learned to be a leader in the most hostile environment and work as a team as survival. Working along different ethnic groups with different backgrounds became a trustworthy brotherhood. The hardest part of the Marine Corps was losing friends and leaving to return to the civilian sector. The most enjoyable part was traveling and meeting great people.

Pros

traveling, benefits

Cons

away from home

fast pace work environment

Daily routine of job was to lock/ unlock the shop. First person in last person out, working long hours keeping track and management over trucks and personnel

Pros

being awarded time off for amount of hours put in

Cons

working long hours, short lunch breaks

Its a family

I served from 09-13. If you want to know what its like sign up. I highly recommend you do.

Pros

Your a Marine

Cons

There are no cons... your a Marine

loved it

honor courage commentment is the ethos for the marines. bla bla bla bla

It's the Marine Corps

Paid benefits. Deployments. Work is first. There is constant competition, even for the smallest things. It's gets hectic but is very rewarding.

Pros

You get to be a Marine

Cons

Constant deployment

I drive Big trucks

Its hard work and not easy if you make it through boot camp thats only the begininning

Could be better

There's downsides to the Marines, and the military in general. There's downsides to any job you do, and really there's downsides to anything you do in life. It's not all bad though, in fact most of it is pretty good.Everybody has a terrible boss now and then, and the military is no exception. But it's up to you what you make of it.And truth be told, the people that only complain and have nothing good to say about the military, at least in my experience, are the people who were (inappropriate adjective) and shouldn't have been in anyways.People like to complain, I'm no exception. But if you complain about every single thing, then the only common denominator is you.

Pros

Chow

Cons

Chow

It is what you make of it some guys/gals love the comradity and thats enough for them to continue

Being a marine has its ups and downs. The military in general does but the sense of job security and benefits such as paid leave and holidays etc can be worthwhile.

Can be a great career

Jobs is completely based upon your mos and unit. Overall you will get treated like dirt by anyone above you no matter your time in or rank. Great peer to peer relationships and good potential for a long term career if you can put up with the downsides

Pros

Job security

Cons

Rude leadership

Rah

Look its not you, its me. If I wake up to go for a run at 0530 the dude that is yelling at me for having a little stubble should be allowed to only have one chin. Plus you need to just get rid of 29. Idk if the free college was even worth it after living there for a year and a half.

Semper Fi

The Marine Corps is not a job, it's a lifestyle. Most of what you learn in the Marine Corps can also be learned in prison, if you catch my drift. Management in the Marine Corps depends on who's managing. The Marine Corps is its own culture, I won't spoil it for anyone. The hardest part of the job depends on what mood your manager is in. The most enjoyable part of the job were the smoke breaks.

Pros

Free food, free housing, free healthcare

Cons

15 Hour days, endless field ops, toxic leadership, toxic fellow marines

A great job if you have the right people around you

A typical work day will start at 0530 and last until 1800 but more often than not will run over even later. As any job there are good supervisors and there are poor ones, depending on which you have that will dictate how your feeling about the marines as a job is formed. The hardest part of the job would be dealing with the constant stresses of being gone for prolonged periods of time. Whether that be 6-12 month deployments overseas or 1-2 month training operations inside the U.S. The most enjoyable part of the marine corps is the bond that you form with everyone you work with. At the end of the day although some may argue and complain during work everyone is brother and sister and it really shows.

Pros

Healthcare, Dental Care, Life Insurance

Cons

Long Hours/Deployment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Marine Corps. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.8
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare U.S. Marine Corps with

Popular locations for Motor Transport Operator in US

Explore similar careers
  • U.S. Marine Corps
  • Motor Transport Operator
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?