U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 25,424 reviews matching the search See all 26,554 reviews
Teaches a individual how to be a leader
Fire Controlman Second Class (Former Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 19, 2018
Allowed me to travel to places I had only read about
Taught me to have a greater respect for authority
Understand how to be part of something bigger than yourself
Was / am proud to be a defender of my country
Not for all
Firecontolman Chief (Former Employee) –  WorldwideSeptember 19, 2018
Performing maintenance and/or repairs on shipboard systems. Training, standing watches, cleaning, painting, studying for advancement, completing qualification standards. Leadership, responsibilty, dedication, electronics, team building. Depending on the command could be great or horrible. mostly positive. Deployments.
Pros
Team
Cons
Deployments
hard work but worth it
Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 19, 2018
I am honored to have served our country. I have grown so much from being in the USN and have made memories that will last a lifetime. Of course it's hard work, but it's worth it.
this experience changed my life
US Navy Hospital Corpsman (HM) (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDSeptember 19, 2018
I was 18 when I enlisted into the Navy. I was very proud of my serve and it taught me how to become a man. This organization has certain values that really stood out to me. Honor, courage, commitment. I attempt to live by these values because I believe they are needed to live a better way.
Retired
Deputy IT Director Sub Reserve (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 19, 2018
Retired from this job over the past 27 years. It's time to move on and do something in industry, ideally using my IT skills. I focused on business intelligence during my latter years with the Navy.
Toxic
DBA/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 18, 2018
Promotes a culture of "Me" versus team. Leadership tends to be petty and closed minded. Toxic ideology around advancement. Double standards. Passive pay increases are too far apart
us navy
Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 18, 2018
US Navy was not for everybody it is hard to adapt and it didn't fit my needs at all. I would not go back but if it fits someone else's needs i would recommend it to them.
30 minutes of excitement for a week of boredom
Active Duty US Navy Corpsman (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CASeptember 18, 2018
Management could be inconsistent or incompetent at times, pushing out good sailors. Other than that I enjoyed serving, traveling, meeting people from all walks of life and doing something that mattered.
Ok
AVIATION STRUCTURAL MECHANIC (Former Employee) –  Virginia beach, vaSeptember 18, 2018
It was a decent job, i got out ao that i could go to school and see my kids. The pay was not worth the job and risks i took at work so i got out to seek better career opportunity
Cons
No lunch and deployments
Time management
NUCLEAR MACHINIST MATE 3RD CLASS (MMN3) (Former Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYSeptember 18, 2018
Depending on how you spend your service, you can have a great, fulfilling term of service, or make life a struggle for yourself. Dealing with superiors you don't see eye-to-eye with is expected so be wary if you choose this route.
Benefits
Cons
Conflicts with Superiors
Navy Child and Youth Programs
Child Development Center Director (Current Employee) –  Joint Base Pearl Hbr Hickam, HISeptember 18, 2018
While the Navy offers many benefits to it's employees, local policies can interfere with pay and incentives. Poor leadership up and down the chain causes discontent among staff, for both management and non-management staff. Navy Child and Youth programs is far behind other services in terms of pay, programming and services.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor organization
An excellent career
Command Career Counselor (Former Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 18, 2018
The United States Navy is the naval warfare service branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the seven uniformed services of the United States. The mission of the USN is to maintain, train and equip combat-ready Naval forces capable of winning wars, deterring aggression and maintaining freedom of the seas.
Pros
guaranteed paycheck, multitude of career choices and advancement opportunities
amazing place to work
Equal Employment Opportunity Intern (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 18, 2018
My manager is the best lady I ever worked for and would recommend this job to everyone that qualifies for it. I am on a flex schedule that allows me to attend school and take days off as needed.
Great opportunities
Senior Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 18, 2018
There's no day in the military is the same. Great opportunities and ability to excel. I've been this organization for 30 years as an Air Traffic Controller.
it was a great time
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 18, 2018
I learned a great deal from my time in the Navy. Traveled alot and visited many countries. I would recommend anyone who dont have a plan for the future to give the Military a try but always plan to exit.
SECURITY DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Kittery, MESeptember 18, 2018
When I worked in managment it was a great place to work-most enjoyable part of the job was I knew what I was talking about or who to go to if I did not. I was allowed to work at my own pace and although I had very few people working for me, I treated them fairly and I got the same amount of respect in return.
Pros
Good for the right person
Cons
Wished we could have had telework
Is what you make it
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 18, 2018
The Navy has various different experiences depending on your rank, rate, and command. You definitely will have some stressful days depending on the command. You have to find ways to de-stress I understand it can be hard. This is not for everyone but I will just say it is what you make it and how you handle stress.
best learning environment
Machinist's Mate 3rd Class (Former Employee) –  Millington, TNSeptember 18, 2018
The United States Navy taught me everything I know. The travel is amazing. the brotherhood and bond you create with your shipmamtes lasts a life time.
Pros
travel, 3 hots and a cot, companionship, excellent training
Cons
long hours and deployments, away from home for months at a time.
Rewarding mission and comradre
All-Source Analysts (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 17, 2018
The mission of the U.S. Navy is rewarding because I get a chance to help improve the security of our country. Once a month I get a chance to build upon our comradery with my fellow reservists, by working through an 8 hour day and helping each other achieve our goals throughout the weekend. Some weekends can be a little stressful when there is a full plate of objectives.
Pros
Mission and teamwork
Cons
Administration redundancy
Great job, great people, poor quality of life
Department Head (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 17, 2018
I love the Navy. I would have stayed if it wasn't so hard on my family. Being gone for 8-10 months every other year is rough. The paid time off is pretty outstanding, and many people's schedules become flexible as they move up the ranks. The medical care costs nothing and includes dental, vision, just about anything medical you can think of, and personal training. You'll see the world, but your family won't, and that's a sticking point for a lot of folks. It can get quite competitive depending on your specific job, and there's always bad bosses, but that's everywhere.
Pros
Free healthcare, respect, decent pay
Cons
long deployments, dangerous work, working hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

2.8InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight