U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 30,403 reviews matching the search See all 31,881 reviews
Good for some. But not all.
Nuclear Mechanic (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 11, 2019
If you apply for the nuclear field in the U.S. Navy, you have already bitten off more than you can chew. Through a minimum of two years of schooling and four years aboard a nuclear vessel; you will be challenged far beyond your pay grade. Your supervisors and command will disregard your feelings and thoughts without a doubt. Respect will be earned and in no means given. The hardest part of the job, is being able to emotional disconnect yourself from your personal life. You will be at work longer than any other military job out there. You will be away from your family longer than anyone else. If you don't have the personal skill that make great connections. You will suffer alone. Only through hard work and great friends will you survive this program.
Pros
Health Care. Guaranteed Pay. Veteran Benefits. Career Technical Training
Cons
Long hours. Away from family. Low pay. High Risk, Low Reward. Poor Management.
Rewarding lifestyle but at a strong cost
Radar Systems Controller / Spy Technician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 25, 2018
The United States Navy is a tough but rewarding life. Unfortunately too many sailors enlist without obtaining the proper knowledge that would help them both adapt and excel in the Navy. The benefits are worth it but the average lifestyle depends greatly on factors you do not have control of, such as, your rate in the navy, your command you are assigned to, and your chain of command. One sailor may come out of Navy expressing how great the Navy benefited him/her while another can leave expressing a great deal of regret. Hours are long, ports are great, and the friendships made will last a lifetime but the more research done the better the outcome.
Pros
Benefits, job security, strong family bonds, 3 meals a day
Cons
Long hours, inherent risk, no control over where you will end up
Bureaucracy stifles progress but colleagues are usually top notch.
Naval Officer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 30, 2018
Management is a coin toss and changes every six months to two years, learning is geared toward the present crisis rather than developing depth of knowledge, skill and expertise. Most leaders are more concerned with their own advancement and the work-life balance is difficult depending on which billet you might be filling in any given tour.
To advance, a competitive spirit, devotion to the mission, commitment to follow your leadership is a must. Patience with the bureaucracy is required to succeed and there is little room for creativity and self-expression. Keep the bigger picture in mind, long-term goals, and surround yourself with a personal support network.
Pros
Benefits, job security, constantly learning work environment
Cons
Difficult for families that need stability
Intense and comptetive work environment in the US Navy
US Navy (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 9, 2018
Very early morning start everyday. working late most days. One day out of the week is a required 24 hour work day. I obtained some qualifications while in the navy most importantly becoming an electronics technician. The management is very corrupt. Very rarely do you get people you work for that want you to succeed. It is a widely diverse cultural atmosphere and often time causes problems among sailors. The hardest part of the job is the unpredictability of each day. You never know what to expect or what could happen while at work. The positives i took away from the Navy was the ability to visit other nations and explore different cultures and cuisines.
Pros
Educational benefits obtained in the navy.
Cons
terrible work environment, stressful workplace.
High Paced Environment
Afloat Programs Manager and Branch Head (GS-14) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 30, 2018
Working for the Navy was a very rewarding experience in itself. Based on my performance, I was given the latitude to reach beyond the mainstream technology to make the Networks on the ships better. I thoroughly enjoy my specific jobs as they both gave me valuable experience and the confidence to excel at what I do best in pushing the command's technology environment.

The work pace was rather high, requiring that we basically on 24 hour call. Liked the work sked when they implemented a flexible work sked.
Pros
Opportunities, benefits such as TSP (401K) and health insurance options.
Cons
The organizational management is very 'good old boys' orientated, especially regarding promotions.
Good way to start your life but harsh lifestyle
TEAM LEAD ELECTRONICS TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 13, 2018
I suggest someone to enlist for 4 years, benefits are rewarding and the people are great. The people will become close as family, you gain a lot of experience if you get the job you are interested in. And you will explore the world.
However there is a lot wrong. Highly common to see someone who doesn't know their job succeed and advance while someone who does all the work stay stationary at the bottom. Officers have a narcissist attitude and will abuse their power of authority... And most of all, everything in your life.. No matter how important it is to you, places last. The navy always comes first.
There are multiple points in my life I became depressed and even had thoughts of suicide. My health has been diminished and most likely I will experience cancer in my future due to frequent Radio Radiation exposure. Don't go in for 6 years unless you have no choice.
Pros
People, adventure, meaning in work
Cons
Management, advancement, balance in life and work, morale
Great Learning Experience!
Officer Processor Lead (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 20, 2018
The military has a unique workplace culture. I served in the Navy for eight years. It's important to be assertive and always up for the challenge. The hardest part of the job is to make changes based on what the new leadership wants. Sometimes there will be no consistency and standard. You have to be flexible because military leadership comes and goes between two to four years based on what was indicated on their active duty orders. Patience and flexibility are just a few of the most important skills that a civilian must have working for the military. Overall, it's a great place to work, and it will help you develop your critical thinking skills.
Pros
job stability, advancement, annual pay increase, great benefits
Cons
overtime not allowed
Training, Leadership, Diversity
Aerographer's Mate (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VA, Keflavik, IcelandNovember 11, 2018
Joining the Navy exposed me to people from all over the nation who joined for a sense of purpose and personal advancement. I had incredible training opportunities, and got a lot of experience doing things I valued (developing a training program for my command, developing a volunteer program to teach weather lessons to base school kids, for example). I loved my experience, and I will probably always be connected to people with whom I worked. If I could have stayed, I would have.
Pros
Free college, excellent training, independence and freedom to develop personally, great benefits, great pay, opportunities to develop ideas and grow
Cons
Difficult for spouses to find work and develop, No location stability, separation from extended family, challenging marital situations could impact ability to stay to retirement
A great way to serve your country and be a part of something big and meaningful
Supervisor / Amphibious Ready Group Staff Officer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 25, 2018
My experience in the Navy is as a Surface Warfare Officer (SWO). SWO's are personnel who are trained and qualified to perform duties aboard United States surface warships.

In order to qualify as a SWO, one must qualify as officer of the deck (both underway and in port), small boat officer, combat information center watch officer, and must be trained in shipboard engineering, naval history, and damage control. For further, enterprise-level training, officers will attend Surface Warfare Officers' School (SWOS) in Newport, Rhode Island between all sea tours.
Pros
good management and training pipeline, good compensation package
Cons
rigid work schedule, stressful work environment
Navy
CTN2 (Current Employee) –  VirginiaDecember 5, 2018
If you are a go getter this is not the place for you. Instead of focusing on your job they care about selling hot dogs for the MWR and running fast. Leadership is ineffective and there is a culture of backstabbing.
People who should not be promoted are, and often too quickly with little to no technical expertise and expected to be technical managers.
All in all if you want to show up every day do bare minimum and continue to have a job this is a place for you. If you are looking to be an expert in your field and work with intellectuals and people excelling in your field you will be severely disappointed.
Pros
Medical care, Bah
Cons
Toxic leadership, promotion system, compensation
Hostile work environment - if a civilian you are definitely treated as an inferior employee
ER Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 9, 2019
This was the most toxic nursing environment I have ever worked in. As a RN with over 15 years experience their policy of developing new nurses to be leaders resulted in a 1 year new graduate being the charge nurse for a 20 bed ER. Their superior attitude frequently put patients safety at risk and not asking or following experienced nurses suggestions. Their is a "us" versus "them" attitude (meaning military against civilians). Management constantly changes and with it a daily flow of policy via e-mail. Written directives are never updated. Terrible place to work!
Pros
Salary, leave and vacation hours
Cons
Hostile work environment; lack of management, constant almost daily changes in policies.
Navy
HOSPITAL CORPSMAN (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VANovember 17, 2018
I think that like any work place, there are unhealthy and toxic management styles that create a negative work environment. The navy does provide job security, it gives decent benefits. I think that it is for some and not all people. I think that there are policies in play to deter discrimination and harassment that might occur but, these things still happen unfortunately, despite these policies. I feel that if I had had better leadership I might have had a better experience. In some cases, i was denied leave... which is against instruction.
Pros
free education, job security
Cons
sexual harassment, toxic management, work overload and denied leave
Challenging yet rewarding, opportunities to advance and grow (professionally and personally).
MISSION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  EnglandDecember 31, 2018
The Navy isn't the easiest job, and sometimes we question why we even joined. Yet for those willing to learn from it all, and grow from the stress and struggle, it turns into an amazing experience. It isn't a career for everyone, but even just a few short years is a great way to boost your confidence, along with providing various benefits, many of which can be passed on to a child or spouse of a service member. I'll always be glad I joined and served.
Pros
travel, work as a tight-knit team, solid principles drive operations
Cons
schedule can change anytime, time away from family and friends, can't find a new job until your enlistment is served
Fulfilling work, lots of free travel.
Aviation Machinist Mate, Aviation Storekeeper (Former Employee) –  Lemoore, CASeptember 7, 2018
There's no such thing as a typical day at work in the military. It depends on your occupational specialty.
I learned aircraft maintenance, flight line operations, shipboard and overseas deployments. Management of aviation maintenance support programs, material control, technical research. I was in Aviation the whole 20 years. Squadrons are like family. You help each other out when needed. The hard part was being deployed for 6 months or more. When I was in, there was no e-mail or cell phones. You had to wait until the ship pulled into port somewhere to call home. But it was nice to see different countries and cultures. I enjoyed meeting new people.
Pros
Job security and benefits.
Cons
Family separations
Join the Navy
Gas Turbine Systems Mechanic USS Leyte Gulf (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 28, 2018
You see amazing places, meet amazing people, you're always getting paid weather you're on leave or if you're sick or even just enjoying the weekend. The Navy is a 24hr job even when you're not working. There's great competition in the work environment and everyone has your back as long as they know you have theirs. Advancement is good they test you on how well you know your job before you are advanced to the next pay grade. You get full benefits including health, dental, vision, life, and a full retirement plan. My on problems are that you're away from home a lot with little time for family but its always worth it when you get to see them again,also the food is garbage and that the living quarters on the boat are really cramped but what do you really expect from a navy vessel?
Pros
Set up for life, free place to live, free food, great team environment.
Cons
Away form home for long periods of time, bad food, little sleep, cramped
Very challenging and rewarding.
Marine Machinery Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Pearl Harbor, HIOctober 25, 2018
There are days when we are rushed to get a job done in order to get the submarine out to sea. Many times we had to waste our time waiting for other trades to complete their work process in order for my group to take over. Employees are from various backgrounds where they have their own ways of doing things. I found that management on the ship project and employees had the work culture of slowing down work that could be done within the 8 hours in order for overtime weekend. It created a lot of stress for those of us who would prefer to get the work down during regular hours and have the weekends to rest enjoy time with the family. The most difficult part of the job was going up and down the stairs of the submarine to retrieve tools. The most enjoyable part of the job was sharing my knowledge with the apprentices that worked for me.
Pros
Excellent benefits and steady income.
Cons
Having to work overtime when you know that the work could have been done during regular work hours.
Overview
E7 Administrative Leading Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  JRB Fort Worth, TX - and around the worldOctober 4, 2018
Grew and learned considerably in the Navy. My life would not be the same without having done it. Lots of opportunity for those willing to apply themselves. Obvious pitfalls are separations from family, can be hazardous duty, work can be 7 days a week, 12-14 hours a day and they own you-where you go, when you go, what you do, and who's your boss. International travel can be a plus if you like traveling. Benefits are a plus. Hardest part is leaving family for months or even years at a time.
Pros
Benefits, traveling, advancement opportunities
Cons
Hazardous duty, long hours, family separation, considerable personal commitment
Opportunity to serve your country and jumpstart your career.
Lieutenant - Executive (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSDecember 13, 2018
The navy is your opportunity to serve and protect your country in many different career field choices. Whether medical, business, administration, engineering and numerous other career fields, you will have the chance to find what it is you love to do and work with a very diverse workforce in the effort to meet your mission. You will have challenges and you will find gratification in the realization of how your daily diligence is a direct impact on the men and women with which you serve.
Pros
Job diversity, health care and medical, compensation
Cons
Deployments and constant relocations
It's the Navy. What are you expecting.
Communications Officer and Watch Officer (Former Employee) –  Bangor, WANovember 16, 2018
I saw both ends, Enlisted and Officer. You have to work hard. Time away from family and your life in general is a thing you should get used to. Work life balance sucks. But you are serving your country, you have great benefits, and you will build skills that will help you in private employment if you leave. The people were awesome. But the bureaucracy is hard to bear sometimes. Even as an Officer my autonomy was extremely limited. A\
Pros
People, Culture, Benefits, Opprtunity to Serve.
Cons
Work Life Balance nonexistent. Soul Crushing Bureaucracy
Great opprotunity to do a cool job, get paid great and see the world
Primary flight control operator (Former Employee) –  USS Abraham LincolnOctober 18, 2018
Work days can be long, living conditions on the ship arent the greatest, but you will make good friends and possibly do an amazing job that you would never imagine doing. The job security is fantastic as long as you keep your nose clean. The benefits are out of this world, best medical, vision and dental and 2.5 days vacation each month, which stacks up fast. I have seen the world, been around it twice and seen some amazing countries and met many amazing people.
Pros
Job security, Benefits, pay and travel
Cons
long working days, work night or day and weekends, deployments mean you are away from family for major holidays and you will miss important events

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Women's ratings

3.7Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss