U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Great military branch
Facilities Specialist (Former Employee) –  Provincia di Napoli, CampaniaNovember 16, 2017
Fast pace environment working hard to defend our freedom. I wouldn't change it for anything. Got to see a bunch of the world, met a lot of great people that will impact your life.
Pros
Traveling, benefits
Cons
Lack of sleep, pay
Diverse culture
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 16, 2017
The Navy is not for everybody. You have to be ready to leave and go places you may not feel comfortable in. However, you are also able to see parts of the world you wouldn't have been able to otherwise; and get paid to be there.
Pros
World travel
Cons
Long working hours sometimes
overworking and paying less
Engineering Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  usaNovember 16, 2017
work 12 hours or more per day as a nuke and get paid the same as someone else that has a cake job sitting at a computer for 8 hours or less a day and still get yelled at for being tired on watch.
Pros
Cons
everything
Fast-paced, competitive environment not always managed well
Gas Turbine Systems Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 16, 2017
In addition to the long hours and days away from home, the pay is not always equivalent to the pay of the civilian job. I personally don't think the ship's are managed well.
Pros
Free meals.
Cons
long hours from home, unsatisfactory pay
Its not a job
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 16, 2017
Military life is not for every one, especially now. I made life long friends and life long lessons that i'm grateful for, but not nowadays. Its a different tune
Pros
Life lessons
Cons
Commander in Chief
Difficult
Second Class Petty Officer, E-5 (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 16, 2017
You have to change your life around the Navy. You go by its rules. But if you can manage that then you're all set. There's a lot of good though, you just have to find the right people to work with.
Very productive and enjoyable
Senior Enlisted Leader (Former Employee) –  VariousNovember 16, 2017
The Navy treated me very well and I enjoyed my 21+ years that I served. I held a variety of jobs. My most challenging position was when I was assigned to a submarine repair facility. My final assignment was at an air traffic control facility in San Diego, CA. I was in a management role at these two commands.
go navy
First Class Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  7 seasNovember 16, 2017
they kicked me out after serving 30 years!!
I would of stayed longer, but I maxed out. If they called me today to go back, I would be gone tomorrow!
It's not for everyone, but I loved it!
Great option for serving the country, but don't expect to get paid.
Nuclear Electrician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 16, 2017
Every aspect about the Navy is bad compared to the corporate civilian sector. Bad pay, bad benefits, bad management, bad work environment, bad working hours. Like I said, if you want to serve your country, you have understand you won't get any appropriate benefit for doing so. Worst part of the job are the people you work with and work for. I don't regret my time in the Navy but if I knew all this before hand I would have done things much much differently.
Great for a Life at a Dead-End
TRAINING OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 16, 2017
The military does great things for many people, however, given the enlistment structure, the average age is around 22, and the culture skews young. I found it to be a tremendously immature environment.
Pros
World travel
Cons
Some unbelievable stress.
United States Navy
Navy (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 16, 2017
If you like to travel and see other countries this is the job for u. The work hours are usually long. The hardest part of the job is being away from your family for long periods of time
Pros
me
A respectable job to have with security
Intelligence Analyst and Reporter (Former Employee) –  Norfolk Naval Station, VA NIOC HawaiiNovember 16, 2017
A typical Navy day, depending on my command, was 8 hours, mostly administrative work with equipment maintenance intertwined. Breaks were taken as needed unless there was a time critical job to get done. I learned teamwork, leadership, and how to prioritize to get things done in a timely manner. When it came to deployment, I worked 12 hours a day with no days off, except for the foreign port calls, the best part of the Navy for me.
Pros
Job security, benifits, travel, free education, career experience
Cons
relatively unprodicatble schedule, different leadership styles, relocation
Its not a job, its a career.
Student Affairs Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Dam Neck Annex, VANovember 16, 2017
Learned management, training, attention to detail, teamwork. Also served as a certified Navy instructor. Worked and in hand with high ranking Officers.
Pros
An honor to serve
Cons
Can be hard on families
Productive and fun to work with colleages
Medical Records Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 16, 2017
US Naval Hospital is a fun and productive working environement, I would recommend it to my colleages. If given a chance I would like to come back and work with this company.
Great Experience, travel
Avionics Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 16, 2017
Learned aviation electronics and was able to take that education and develope a satifying career. They paid me, fed me, and trained me for my career, had free medical and dental.
Long hours but very rewarding
Missile Technician (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaNovember 16, 2017
The military is what you make of it. You can just get by day to day or you can succeed and push yourself. The benefits are amazing and the bond you grow with individuals in the military is amazing. I don't regret anything I have done in the military. Great experience.
Best experience of my life
Airframe and Powerplant Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 16, 2017
The military is not for everyone, and one review cannot encompass all the experiences the Navy has to offer.

My experience changed me for life, and I'm better for having the experience.
Pros
opportunity
Cons
Lack of options, restrictive lifestyle
Navy
Network Operations Team Lead - NAVIOCOM (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 16, 2017
The navy is a stressful environment just like any other military job. Hundreds of people who do and like things thousands of different ways and have to adapt to survive.
Pros
Bah, Bas
Cons
Lack of management personnel, compensation, leadership, etc
A great place to start
Aviation Technician Organizational Level (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 16, 2017
A great way to get your career started with plenty of hands on training. The full healthcare benefits and paid schooling are worth the stressful work time.
Sonar technecian
Sonar Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 16, 2017
Great place to work travel and see the world. Earn money to further you education. great leadership training to prepare for the civilian world. Would go back if I could

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4