U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Best life experience
LEADING PETTY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base, GASeptember 20, 2018
Enlisted in the US Navy had it's "ups" and "downs", learned a great deal of professionalism and ethics and learned from mishaps. Worth the enlistment!
Pros
Respect, brotherhood, Free full coverage of entire health care, understandable pay, unlimited pay while on vacation, discounts, perfect american adult experience
Cons
Long hard working hours, minimal sleep, prolonged deployments away from family and reality.
The leadership is too involved with their own ambitions and do not connect to their staff ergo low morale
LIBRARY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92134September 20, 2018
Lacking responsible leadership and oversight, many manager show open contempt for the lack of structure and this trickles down to the employees.
A lot of self celebration but no real esprit de corps
Pros
job stability
Cons
inflexible and new ideas not welcome
n/a
Cyber Security Technician (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 20, 2018
The navy was a good steeping stone for my life and my career but I would not stay apart of it. Too many management problems and clerical errors and inequality all over. Would not recommend.
The time spent working for the Navy was a good experience.
Registered Dental Hygienist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 19, 2018
I was able to see my 8 patients per day and then leave the work at work without taking it home. So, it was nice to be at work to work and then be at home when I was off.
Pros
good work hours
Cons
not competitive pay for the experience they hired in a RDH
Hard work for great benifits
Aviation Maintenance Administration (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WASeptember 19, 2018
A typical day in the Navy consist of waking at 6 am to muster at 7 am. After muster work starts. Work ends at 7 pm unless on deployment or on duty witch is a 24 hours. I learned multiple things when I was in the Navy. The hardest part of the job was when I was away from my family. I did however make a lot of friends and multiple acquaintances.
Pros
great pay, benifits
Cons
some days you work 24/7
Hit or miss
Hospital Corpsman (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 19, 2018
Honestly your experience can be really individual depending on your rate, duty station and many other factors. First duty station in RI, great. USS George Washington- where careers go to die.
Pros
benefits, leave days, travel
Cons
bad leadership, advancement difficult, working out of rate
Hard work long hours
Hull Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 19, 2018
Learned many trades in the Navy. Multiple opportunities to grow as an individual. Meet and work with a lot of great people. Management was okay depending on their past commands and work ethic. Lots of opportunities to travel around the world. Worst part of the job was being away from home and family.
Pros
Job security
Cons
No down time
The Most Diverse Employment
Quartermaster (Current Employee) –  Various LocationsSeptember 19, 2018
In the US Navy, you will be called to do more than you think you can. You will receive adequate training to do your primary job but you will gain experience in so many areas! The Navy will make you a better all around person and employee. Be prepared to work under pressure and have long hours. After 20 years, it made me into a better person, father, and husband to my family. No regrets.
Pros
Benefits, experience
Cons
Work life balance
8 years
Culinary Specialist, Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mayport Naval Station, FLSeptember 19, 2018
I signed up for 4 years and was given 2 additional year without notice, once those were up there was 2 more years added to my service. no pay compensation. Kind of wonder why I'm bitter about my time in the service.
Great experience
HEALTH COACH Public Health internship (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 19, 2018
Working for the military has been a great experience for me. I have been able to grow as a responsible uplifting and educated individual by working for the military. I will always remember my life experiences that I have adopted working for the military.
Pros
Team and Administraon Support
Cons
Go Navy- for training and travel
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 19, 2018
The Navy is a great organization to be in. You can gain some really valuable skills by attending related technical training schools. You can also use educational programs offered by the Navy in pursuit of a certificate or degree.

If you like to travel, the Navy is a great place to be because you will have the opportunity to transition every 3-4 years and travel abroad in other countries.
I enjoyed working in the USNR because it was very rewarding and patriotic.
Petty Officer First Class (Former Employee) –  USNR Cadillac Michigan, USNR Columbus, Ohio.September 19, 2018
A typical day in the USNR was going to to the supply room and ordering clothing for the sailors and also ordering items for the Naval unit. I was a purchasing agent for items that the Naval unit needed. I learned a that working for the government was an honor and privilege to help my countrymen. The management was very military and tried to help the enlisted the best that they could be and giving us proper successful training in our jobs.
The workplaces were hospitable and varied because I changed a lot of units because of temporary relocation. The hardest part was when we had survivor tent training in the hot humid weather for 12 hours a day. The most enjoyable part is when I received overseas duty in London England. While there I was able to visit the Stone Henge site, Bath, England and the town of London and many other sites.
Pros
Travel overseas to Yokuska, Japan and be a unit ambassador to a Japanese family.
Cons
Hot humid weather in military tents.
long hours, low pay
Aviation Boatswain's Mate Equipment (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 19, 2018
I work in a fast pace and hazardous environment with little to no sleep while having to maintain my head on a swivel, and keeping my working environment save, secured, and preventing other from hurting myself, themselves and others.
Pros
gi bill
Cons
left to soon
Honored to serve in the US Navy
Administrative Clerk/Deck Seaman (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 19, 2018
One of the GREATEST experiences of my life. Had an opportunity to travel all over the world and meet some life time friends. The best training in the world that truly prepared me for life after. I'm so grateful to have served in the US Navy
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer (E-7) (Former Employee) –  Pearl Harbor Naval Station, HISeptember 19, 2018
This was the best job I have ever had. i love the culture and the environment that the military provided e with. I raised me from a teenage punk into a responsible adult. I learned new and exciting things as well as learned life skills. i traveled the word and had the opportunity to serve my country.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
tough hours
USN reserves provide multiple opportunities
Perioperative RN (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXSeptember 19, 2018
I have had multiple opportunities through the USN reserves, including preoperative school and the opportunity to meet inspiring medical professionals.
Teaches a individual how to be a leader
Fire Controlman Second Class (Former Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 19, 2018
Allowed me to travel to places I had only read about
Taught me to have a greater respect for authority
Understand how to be part of something bigger than yourself
Was / am proud to be a defender of my country
Not for all
Firecontolman Chief (Former Employee) –  WorldwideSeptember 19, 2018
Performing maintenance and/or repairs on shipboard systems. Training, standing watches, cleaning, painting, studying for advancement, completing qualification standards. Leadership, responsibilty, dedication, electronics, team building. Depending on the command could be great or horrible. mostly positive. Deployments.
Pros
Team
Cons
Deployments
its ok
Boatswain's Mate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 19, 2018
the experience is different for everyone. i had some rough times but the good times made up for it. it was for sure a once in a lifetime experience and it was worth it
hard work but worth it
Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 19, 2018
I am honored to have served our country. I have grown so much from being in the USN and have made memories that will last a lifetime. Of course it's hard work, but it's worth it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4
514.8K
47.9K
33K

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

71out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at U.S. Navy.