U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 29,700 reviews matching the search See all 31,148 reviews
US Navy
Cryptologic Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 13, 2018
Great way to obtain education, training and other skills use able in the civillian world. Traveled and visited many locations around the world. Overall, quality live experience.
Pros
Excellent benefits when retired.
Cons
Low pay
It depends on your experience
Armed Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 12, 2018
Overall a great experience for me i enjoyed it. I got the chance to see many different countries, and experience many different cultures. All in a span of 4 yeas.
Pros
paid leave and free medical
Cons
time away from family
Navy: A Great Place to Start and Finish
Commanding Officer / Chief of Staff (Former Employee) –  The EarthNovember 12, 2018
If one wishes to contribute to making the world better, pushing your personal limits, and learning every day then consider the United States Navy. It is tough and challenging. Are you ready for the challenge?
Work environment and people
US Navy Diver (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 12, 2018
The people I work with is what I love about the navy. I do not care for the leadership not looking out for the younger people. my job is awesome in the navy and will probably be giving that up due to poor leadership.
Great Job Security
Aviation Warfare Operator (Current Employee) –  Oak Harbor, WANovember 12, 2018
You get what you put into. You have unlimited growth potential, but be prepared to work long hours to get what you set your goals for.
Deployments are longer days than a 40 hour a week job.
It was awesome and i loved it
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 12, 2018
It is what it is, You have to make your day worth while because there are days where you are just sitting there not doing anything. Then there are days when you are training and working your butt off.
Pros
People you meet and places you go
Cons
Not enough money
Productive Work Place
Maintenance Material Management Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 12, 2018
Start work day around 7:30 a.m., conduct uniform inspection and then talk about what we need to accomplish that day. I learned a lot while I was in the Navy. Management is good, just depends on who you are working for at the time. Workplace culture is good. Hardest part of job is when you deploy. The most enjoyable part of the job is you get to learn new things and get to see different countries.
Leadership potential
Anti-Terrorism Officer / Weapons Officer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 12, 2018
At BMU-2 there are Sailors that need leadership. It is a junior sailor command that needs mid level leadership to mold their careers in the correct ethos of the Navy. Majority of the Sailors are 18-22 years of age that have no leadership fundamentals or respect for authority.
Fun environment
Leading Petty Officer (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GANovember 12, 2018
Easy advancement , lifetime friends!!!paid vacations, great medical! Free uniforms! Dental, many great experiences! Free travel to your destinations..
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long days
Serving in the Navy was rewarding and would do it again.
Administrative Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington StateNovember 12, 2018
I would recommend the Navy for anyone. The armed forces do what they say. It builds your character and teaches discipline which is lacking in this current culture.
Pros
Good if your young, you will see many places. Also secure.
Cons
Life on oboard a navy ship takes getting used to.
Military
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 12, 2018
It's the Navy or Military, there's not much to say about it except it is what it is. You have good day's and bad days, do what your told, stay out of trouble.
Good place to learn about yourself and grow
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 12, 2018
*Typical day at work* Mostly as an Operations Specialist, you are there as a safety precaution. You make sure ships don't collide, aircraft stay safe, identify contacts and act accordingly, etc.
*What I've learned* A lot of time when the job is slow is spent on self-reflection. (Ex. picked up reading, working out, journaling as habits as a result)
*Management* Composed of both enlisted who have been in your shoes and officers who've been trained to manage personnel
*Workplace Culture* Mission First, Sailors Always
*Hardest part of the job* You are there as a security precaution. This means most of the time, nothing is happening while you have to remain focused in case something does go wrong.
*Most enjoyable part of the job* Controlling aircraft
Pros
Travel
Cons
Work Hours
Tough but fair, great schooling and growth promotion
Avionics Technician Petty Officer Third Class (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 12, 2018
Its a tough life but it is rewarding and satisfying. You get great schooling and learn a lot of great life skills and meet some great people. Teaches discipline and hard work. It gives you the opportunity to go as far as your willing to work for. It teaches you that the only limitation on your advancement is yourself.
Pros
schooling, skills, honor, pride, and meet great people
Cons
Long hours and lots of moving around the country and world
Great experience
Shutdown Nuclear Reactor Operator/ Load Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 12, 2018
I was able to provide for my family and able to receive extensive training in regards to nuclear power and electrical power distribution. I am grateful for the opportunity
Can't say enough about the Navy. It allowed me to develop my skills to further my career is aviation
Aircraft Structure Mechanic (Former Employee) –  North Island Naval Base Coronado Ca.November 11, 2018
the Navy provided me with classroom/shop classes and classroom lectures to develop my skill sets for a long career in aviation while working in the field.
Pros
Good work and good health benefits
Cons
War games are a must and war if called upon, time away from family.
Great job
Sonar Technician 3rd Class (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WANovember 11, 2018
This job is a great platform to accelerate your life. What you do in a day varies greatly and is dependent on your attitude as well as the job that you are performing.
fun workplace
Lead Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 11, 2018
If you are looking for job security, stable salary and benefits without experience this is the right place to start. Not for everybody but it's worth the sacrifices.
Join another branch if you want to advance
Military Police (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 11, 2018
I loved being in the military. I just dot agree with the ways the Navy advances people; by test taking. Literally a 200 question exam. They need to change this! Go Air Force or Army!!!
Pros
great benefits, pay, discounts, culture
Training, Leadership, Diversity
Aerographer's Mate (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VA, Keflavik, IcelandNovember 11, 2018
Joining the Navy exposed me to people from all over the nation who joined for a sense of purpose and personal advancement. I had incredible training opportunities, and got a lot of experience doing things I valued (developing a training program for my command, developing a volunteer program to teach weather lessons to base school kids, for example). I loved my experience, and I will probably always be connected to people with whom I worked. If I could have stayed, I would have.
Pros
Free college, excellent training, independence and freedom to develop personally, great benefits, great pay, opportunities to develop ideas and grow
Cons
Difficult for spouses to find work and develop, No location stability, separation from extended family, challenging marital situations could impact ability to stay to retirement
great way to serve the country
Expanded Functions Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 10, 2018
Being part of the Navy team has been very rewarding in meeting people and acquiring skills for the lifetime. Although dangerous it has been a great career opportunity.
Pros
people, money, job
Cons
time, sacrifice

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Women's ratings

3.7Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss