U.S. Navy
Happiness rating is 72 out of 100

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Fun yet challenging working environment. Provides for adequate work and life balance. Currently working on a Government Contract so advancement is limited without changing companies. Management very nice and engaging.
So much is asked of you with little in return. Unless you are making a career of the Navy then be prepared to put your life goals on hold until your contract is up.
As an RN, the pay is unbeatable. Healthcare is free. 30 days of leave a year. However, you will often find leadership with hardly any bedside nursing experience but who have brown-nosed their way into good evaluations & thus promotions into leadership spots.It is also challenging to remain at the bedside after 3-4 years without being pulled into administration positions.
Pros
Pay, benefits, travel
Cons
Poor management
typical work day consisted of waking up, putting on the uniform of the day and then responding to your post to relieve the sailor that was standing watch or post before you. Once you were relieved you could grab chow and go relax or study for your advancement exams. You day could be easy and other days there was constant things to do to ensure the ships readiness for battle should we need it.
Pros
the food was always warm and freshly cooked
Cons
not a lot of room to sleep in while off post
Traveled the world worked with outstanding people Been to amazing countries. Learned a lot along the way. I was a chef so working on an Aircraft Carrier for 6 months it's hard but worth it.
Pros
Free ride to see the world
Cons
Away from family
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Just being honest here. If you are in it for the money or the college education you are going to get out of it, you are barking up the wrong tree. They are not lying when they say, "It's not just a job, it's an adventure." Only 1% of America is willing and capable of doing what a career in the Navy will demand of you. You will not make much money in the beginning. Your advancement will come as rapidly as the quality of your work and your willingness to study hard for the tests will permit. I made First Class in 10 years. Some people have done it in 5. If it weren't for living in base housing until I was a very senior Second Class, I might have ended up on welfare. This is the honest truth. I had a wife and 2 kids and we were stationed overseas where she couldn't work until almost the end of that tour. This is a wonderful experience, but if you are not willing to sacrifice for your country, you may want to rethink this - especially if you are married or have dependents. I considered it a privilege to serve and my wife was willing to pick up my slack on the Homefront when necessary.
Pros
skills you won't get anywhere else, tuition assistance, some non-taxed income
Cons
Lots of family separation periods, low wages in the beginning, long hours
The navy will always take care of their own no matter where you come from. The work was pointless sometimes but the pay is steady and the benefits are good.
The benefits are the best of any job available. If you search for additional benefits, you can almost always find them. The mission comes first, so the work/lift balance is not always a priority. Compensation can be fair, depending on where you are located and combined with the benefits you are receiving. Management can be hit or miss.
Pros
Benefits, opportunity for training and new skills
Cons
Hit or miss management, some lack of work/life balance
got to see the world for free. work hours kinda suck only when your out to see but other than that it was awesome. pay could be alot better but cant really complain
Work accomplishment is satisfying, but not always recognized. Management can ignore you if you are not part of the "in" clique. Heavy emphasis on computer skills, not so much on people skills.
Pros
Very interesting, intense work.
Cons
Advancement hindered by lack of recognition.
As long as you work hard you will succeed. As long as you stay within weight and height standards and pass physical tests you will do well. Learn your job and take it seriously.
A person working for the Department of the Navy on a navel instillation in DC will experience all the negatives of the Military without being in the Military. Culture is difficult. It would not be uncommon to be shouted at or see people getting shouted at in an office. Military officers are often used to treating people with as much value as their rank. It would not be strange to be treated like a lesser person because of the rank based culture. I enlisted in the Army. I can say I was treated like a lower enlisted person while being a student civilian intern for the Department of the Navy. I my opinion the managers and staff can have inadequate education and experience for the jobs they do. For example, in the military you can simply receive orders. Your duty will be the job that is in your orders. The Navy will staff office positions with Ship War Officers and pilots as a form of rotation to take the officers out of the war or off an aircraft. The problem is, sometimes the officers have little to no experience and in my opinion often have less than ideal education and credentials for project management. The Military tries to bring sailors and soldiers into a civilian mindset but it is not a simple task. It is very unpleasant and difficult to work in the military for the military with military professionals and not be interested in the unique culture the military has to offer. In my opinion the military tries to change it's culture for civilian employees. But, that ends up being frustrating and unproductive for everyone. It's like trying to be something your simply just not.
NAVAIR does acquisition and procurement of cutting-edge aircraft and systems to support the Navy. I have always felt that my particular supervisors have looked out for my career and personal needs.
It was a job filled with ups and downs but for the most part, I learned how to be a team player and leader. I learned many useful skills and found a great career.
It was a place where I was placed when the location was split. I wasn’t sure if I was going to make it because I didn’t feel like I had a useful skill. It took a while before I found an subject of interest.
Pros
Can get into various areas of research.
Cons
No room for advancement; no support for training in areas of interests.
I honestly enjoyed my time in the US Navy. As a Sailor, I was able to accomplish many dreams that I had as a child and made them into reality. I learned so much while being in the service but will definitely miss the kinship.
Positions at this company has great job security. A typical work day at this company started at 730 am and ended at 3 pm. I learned how to work well with other and how to manage civilian employees.
The Navy afforded me the opportunity to see the world meet different cultures and learn about places I had only read about before. I am certain that it has contributed to my ability to work well with anyone as I have a gregarious personality as a result of my experience.
The navy was full of learning experiences with great leadership and sense of pride. The hardest part was the family separation and missing major family events.
The Navy gave me skills and a sense of belonging to something bigger than myself. The Navy taught me leadership skills and other skills I would have had to go to college for.
Best Career I ever had! I truly enjoyed my work as a Hospital Corpsmen. Understand that my role was important to the mission. Through out my career I understood that my opinion mattered. It was a challenging career but well worth the hard work, trials and tribulations. I felt rewarded by the appreciation, gratitude form the lives of the people we helped to take care of, heal , protect and defined each and every day.
  1. Employee Reviews