Play YouTube video button
U.S. Navy

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews for Communication Specialist

Featured review
U.S. Navy selected this as a representative review
Mission Driven work environment. Supports employees and creates a team environment.
My tenure with the United States Navy was rewarding. The work environment was productive while still encouraging a family like workplace. Oppurtunity for promotion was fair. Superiors did an excellent job of making sure personnel were given the tools to succeed and off the clock. All employees were thoroughly trained on how to do their job and given opportunities to seek positions of higher authority. Occasionally, working hours were long and last minute changes were thrown into the workload.
Pros
Pay, People
Cons
Occasional extended working hours
Worst part of my life
Severely limiting with a terrible atmosphere. You will be treated as just another "body" to throw at problems. Like swabbing decks and moving tons of materials from one place to another, despite there being actual machinery for that purpose.
It could be so much better
This year more sailors committed suicide than promoted across multiple different rates. I cannot stress that enough. Deployments are longer, assault and fraternization are at all time highs, and the healthcare is absolutely atrocious. Recruiters encourage you to lie to to get in, support is almost non-existent, and legal and protective services are almost always unavailable. You get kicked out if you don't promote. but the promotional quotas for some rates was as low as 1%. The exams are impossible, there's little on the job training, and the culture is only a magnifying class of current political climate.

Childcare is totally full, military housing is full (or literally robbing people and then evicting them), the healthcare is slow and outdated, and the only thing that ever changes is the way the uniforms look. People who have dedicated their lives to the navy leave to be broken bodies that can't work but also have their disability held from them.

This could be such an amazing organization, but it breaks my heart. I loved the people I served with, and still do. It's mostly not the people, it's the powers that be. I wouldn't ever go near the military again. Any business model that preys on a 17 year old without without healthcare or a place to live, or an adult with heavy student loans and financial ruin, isn't there for you. I wish I could warn people. It's so irresistible when you are struggling.

Seriously- think about it. The navy wants you to lie to get in, lie to keep your clearance (I had literally no record or medical issues and they wanted me to lie about period
 - more...
Greatest decision/ hardest work
All in all, i love my time in the military but it was the most work and lowest pay ever. You do it because someone has to do it but it takes so much out of you by the time you are done
Not the best
The fun part about the Navy is the ability to truly master your technical skills. The bad part about it was the fact that the more you advance in rank the less you do of your actual job.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Organized chaos
The U.S. Navy is very organized in the way they do things. However, things change due to the needs of the country. You learn to adapt to change quickly and you get used to the fast pace environment. The hardest part of the job is being away from your family so much, but what you do is a very big role in a grander scheme of things. The best part of the job is being immersed in so much diversity and learning to work together as a team and become a family.
Tough Career Choice - Not for everyone
The U.S. Navy is a rewarding career that is extremely arduous on families. My decision to separate from active duty surrounds my desire to have a greater role in my son's life.
Great job but could use better people.
The jobs you do are good, but the people you work with can make it or break it. If you end up at a location with good people, you will be able to properly do your job and receive the satisfaction of not having to stab someone in the back to be acknowledged.
It's all what you make it! Retire after 20 years!
There's no other job on the planet that will give you more opportunities, benefits and experiences like the U.S. Navy. There will be ups and downs just like at any job, but for the most part, the people you work with are like family and want to be there and support you.
Pros
Benefits, Medical/dental, guaranteed pay, education benefits, travel
Cons
Some long hours, time away from family, not always a good work/home life balance
Travel the world
Travel the world for free and get paid to live abroad. College paid for while enlisted without using the GI Bill. Get multiple college degrees paid for.
good
enlisted directly out of hs and was injured while serving. I loved being in the Navy and wouldn't trade my time there even with the injury. I was able to learn and do more at a young age because of it.
An excellent place to find a career
The U.S. Navy is a fantastic place to learn new skills, gain new interests, and really plug into a community that cares. I was given the opportunity to flourish in skill arenas that I never would have thought to try otherwise and this job gave me a renewed sense of confidence in myself.
Pros
Travel, benefits, community environment
Cons
Being away from loved ones, very long hours
Very rewarding both personally and professionally
The Navy is a great place to learn a profession that will translate into the civilian sector. There are networking opportunities, ability to gain leadership, mentorship, and time management skills. You can travel the world, receive 30-day paid vacation, medical, dental, vision coverage, plus a pension after 20 years. The Navy not only focuses on the development of your profession, but also ensures mentorship in your personal life with financial counseling, relationship counseling, family employment, stress management, and various others are available for free.
The Navy has shaped me into the person who I am today. I would recommend it to anyone who is will to make a commitment and positive change in themselves and the people around them.
Pros
30-day paid time off, medical, dental, vision, pension, paid compensation
Cons
time away from family during depoloyment
The NAVY was a great experience. I had the opportunity to meet many people and developed good working relationships. There were many opportunities fo.
Overall the United States Navy gave me an opportunity to move out of my home town city. I was able to attend Boot Camp where they basically break you down and build you back up. This was a tough time but one I certainly do not regret. After Boot Camp I was able to attend school for the job That I was going to be filling with the United States Navy.
Pros
The opportunity to advance, meet many people from different countries, education, and medical benifits
Cons
Being away from family and long working hours.
Serve your nation
Enlisted in the Navy at age 23. I spent 5 years in, and was honorably discharged. While I chose not to make a career of it for a variety of reasons, I feel it was a wise life decision that taught me a lot. I recommend serving your country. It's fulfilling and offers many benefits.
The Navy was ok
I had a rough time cause I went in undesignated it took me 3 years to be able to get into a designation. The rest of my time in the Navy was ok. You get to see so many places in the world it is a good deal.
Pros
benefits pay and friends
Fabulous experience
I enlisted in the navy right out of high school, excelled in basic training, excelled in technical training, and went on to serve On a ship, at an overseas base, and in a command organization, and received an honorable discharge at the end of my enlistment.
Pros
training, personal and professional development
Cons
occasional workplace conflicts - all resolved
Mass Communication Specialist
As a Mass Communication specialist my job was to tell the Navy's story via a variety of multimedia platforms as well as perform the typical duties of an armed forces sailor.
Military
As far as reviews go I wouldn't take a review for the Navy seriously.
That being said, I had a good and bad experience with the Navy.

Poor leadership early on made me resent the Navy but every good leader I had on the side made up for it.

The hardest part of being in the Navy in my experience is being away from loved ones for extended periods of time. Keeping in contact came easy for me because of my rate but that is not always the case for everyone.

Best part of the job is when you finally get to a decent port where you can get out with your friends and explore foreign countries and experience different cultures and cuisine.
Pros
One of the best health benifits on the market
Cons
Unpredictable hours/underways subject to the leadership provided
enjoyed traveling and being part of US Navy
I handled day to day communications on 12 hour shifts, I learned how to adjust to new adventures in life and see the beauty of every day. Management was respected but always made us feel as part of an amazing team. Hardest part of job was not seeing family often when overseas, but most enjoyable was visiting new countries and different cultures.
Pros
travel
Cons
being away from love ones
Stable Job
I learned a lot being in the military. I was able to go to school, pay my bills and travel. The job prepared me for the career i would like to continue in the civilian sector.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3
Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP40%
In the Top 40% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at U.S. Navy.