U.S. Vision, Inc. Employee Reviews

Whatever you do run! Don’t work here the company and the workers are garbage!
Optician Technician (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 16, 2019
For starters the pay is terrible but I wouldn’t have minded that as much if at least the work environment was good. The manager is super unprofessional to the point that she would change clothes in the small closet that we had and even would wear clothes almost showing all her clevage and on top of that would be walking around barefoot. She was always on her phone texting and had such bad attitude. When I brought that to the attention to the district manager and tried to get my other co workers to let her know as well because they all hated the manager too and the end they all backed out and got scared and made me look bad because they didn’t have the guts to stand up to her and the district manger didn’t do anything about it and all she did was just let the manager know and when I got to work her so called bestfriend got on my face to complain on the fact that I had reported the manager and her so called bestfriend were literally bad mouthing me like if we were in high school and they were in there 40s which is so ridiculous and acting super unprofessional. So I left because I felt sick of seeing how fake my co workers were and how much cowards they were and how pathetic the manager and her so called best friend were.
Pros
Nothing at all only made me regret leaving the previous job
Cons
Two faced co workers, everyone super unprofessional, pay is terrible
Horrible place
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PAJanuary 11, 2019
Was hired as full time but they didn’t tell me i had to travel to other stores to get those hours. Dm was an idiot. They think you have no life besides US Vision and don’t pay nearly enough to make you want to come in on days off. I hated that place, all about the all mighty dollar don’t care about patients
Cons
A very backstabbing and two faced environment.
Optical Associate (Former Employee) –  Michigan areaJanuary 6, 2019
The management is very unprofessional. There is a lot of favoritism and the managers will just tell you whatever they feel you need to hear even if it's not true. One minute you are being told they value you and the next minute they are talking about you to other managers and spreading untruths. It's honestly like being in high school all over again. Very clicky. Raises are non existent and a complete joke. There is no room for advancement and the managers will give you a schedule based on their personal life and what days they want off. Most days you have nothing to do and you just sit there waiting for the clock to tick. It's all about sales and money and not about the patients. No matter how good you do it will never be enough and you will continue to get harassed to do more. The stress and drama is definitely not worth the little bit of money you make. Commission on sales is a joke. Overall I don't regret leaving my position there for one second. It was worth the piece of mind I felt after my last day. So unless you like drama and making no money, pick a different career path.
Pros
Discounts on glasses and one free pair a year
Cons
They expect too much for such little pay
Latest technology in optical labs
Optical Technician (Former Employee) –  Glendora, NJJanuary 4, 2019
Training and lab experience.people are nice culturally and many are family oriented.the lab is fairly clean.and its great with flexibility of hours and scheduling.
Pros
Full time positions
Cons
No job security
flexible work schedules, avialable time off.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Blackwood, NJJanuary 2, 2019
You were given your assignment and you were able to complete the task without much management interference. You were trained on all machinery and procedures. Management was good and well trained to handle employees. Help was always available. We worked with different cultures and the company had great respect for all. The hardest part of job would be staying busy when production was slow. One of the best parts of the job was getting along with Co-workers and the free fruit and snacks given to employees.
Pros
friendly workers, good training, free fruit, good management.
Cons
breaks every two hours, training to advance your skills.
Didn't have too great of an experience there
Production/Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Blackwood, NJJanuary 1, 2019
Some of the people were childish and stabbed you in the back. People made up rumors about one another and could never mind their own business. Management did little to nothing to resolve the problems on the floor eventhough there were complaints.
Pros
Free lunch and 45 min. lunch once a week
Cons
Like high school, too much drama, no 401k
ALL about retail, NOT about patient care!
Optician (Former Employee) –  Monaca, PADecember 27, 2018
The corporate over structure rules all with the main focus being strictly $$ and sales goals! There is little to no attention to customer service or patient care.
My store manager had no consideration for the employees or any desire to schedule fairly. I was forced to work every single Saturday and Sunday for 4 months straight and consistently was scheduled to close, despite several requests to better distribute the shifts. After being told I'd get a raise after 6 months, a year later, I received no raise.
Pros
Free pair of eyeglasses
Cons
No support from corporate management
family like atmosphere
Inventory Control Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackwood, NJDecember 20, 2018
Over all a nice place to work. They supply donuts, fruit and candy to everyone. One free lunch a month with one long lunch day. They have sent everyone that wanted to go to excel, work and outlook classes with the grants that they received.
Cons
When layed off no componsation was given
Room to move up in the company
Optician Technician (Former Employee) –  Meijer optical and JC Penney Optica6December 16, 2018
Was a fun place to work. Location was good. Staff was willing to work with you on schedule. Money was good. Fun contests. District Managers were great.
Not a good place to work
Anything (Current Employee) –  Blackwood, NJDecember 12, 2018
No training.
Poor leadership and management
nice people
outdated and unreliable computer systems
free lunch once a month
decent benefits
poor compensation
Pros
Free lunch once a month
Cons
no training; poor systems;
Poorly run company with out of touch leadership
Optician (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 12, 2018
This company is being run into the ground by out of touch and isolated executives. Most of the stores that were in JC Penneys are now shut down and all of the stores located at BJ's Wholesale clubs are being taken over by BJ's (not sure if this is a good thing, time will tell), everything is cloak and dagger though. Instead of answering questions by concerned employees, teleconferences are often cut short. If a question is posed, it's swept under the rug as if it wasn't asked at all. Aside from that, compensation isn't even close to the market average of competing companies. Rather than adjusting they'll just make you grateful for the opportunity to work in a healthcare field for low pay. The commission structure is set up to be a black hole of a poor business structure. Each month we're required to shoot for a goal, after achieving the goal the post is then moved even further out which causes low moral since the goal was almost impossible. Attempted improvements were made in the form of Telemedicine, something that is for locations without doctors on site, which ended up being a failure. I'm sure that will be part of a profit and loss statement if the company files for Chapter 11. If you're in the market for contacts and glasses, your best bet is either waiting for BJ's to take over, or going somewhere else.
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
Loss of sanity
Fun place to work
Optical technician (Former Employee) –  in the SouthDecember 10, 2018
Enjoyed working there. lots of variety and public contact. I worked both independently and with the Manager and Doctor. I assisted clients with classes style and type of lenses. I did Insurance.
balanced the drawer at the end of the shift. The hardest part of the
job was when no one came in on slow days . The most fun was
the Vendor Special Sales . I learned a lot about glasses.
Pros
major discounts on glasses
Cons
I did most of the cleaning.
Just figure it out yourself
Licensed Optical Manager (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CADecember 1, 2018
There wasn't any type of training before I assumed management of my store. Just 3 days of training and no contact with the hiring regional manager. The store was underperforming which was an easy turn around within 3 weeks. Unfortunately, the pay and hours of operation were a constantly changing thing and the large bonus I was expecting was quickly reduced. While the manageable working schedule was quickly increased.
Pros
Little to no supervision, closed for lunch
Cons
Not enough feedback from management
Agreat place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 15, 2018
you get to help people with something very important. The hours are pretty good. You get to work in a doctor office environment and learn a lot of things in this field.
Pros
Helping people with vision needs
Cons
You have to learn how to use all insurances
Everyday brings on new ways to help customer with their vision.
DISTRICT TRAINER/ OPTICAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Media, PANovember 12, 2018
The feeling that you are making a difference in the vision/lives of customers is priceless. Seeing a child see better just by putting on a pair of glasses, make you smile for the rest of the day.
Decent place to work
Manager/Optician (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 12, 2018
Decent place to work. I understand the need to stay open until
7:00 P M, but I do not particularly like working until that time. I would prefer to be off work no later than 6:00 P.M.
Generous Flex Time Benefit
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Blackwood, NJNovember 8, 2018
Good job for working parent. They have an on site daycare as well as a generous flex time benefit. There are quotas to be met and attendance requirements so only reliable, hard working people should apply. Hair drug test for every person hired.
My manager taught me everything I know! LOVE!
Optical Technician (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDNovember 6, 2018
This company took a chance on me, and I am so very greatful to this day,.After 2 years I was making double what I started out at and had advanced to management. There are a few things that need to be ironed out, as is all companies. Overall, I rate give it an A.
Pros
Fast pace, room for growth
Intimate corporate structure that was exciting at times
District Manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaNovember 5, 2018
This position was a roller coaster; US Vision has some great people that work in upper level management, and values work/life balance, but struggles with consistency and implementation of a clear company direction.
Best company culture I've ever worked.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Blackwood, NJOctober 28, 2018
Everyone works hard and cares about the job they do, from the CEO to the technicians work on the lab floor and when it gets busy everyone helps out to get the work out.
Pros
People and culture