UPS Employee Reviews

Found 26,993 reviews matching the search See all 29,067 reviews
stay in the union!
package handler (Former Employee) –  Lawnside, NJJanuary 2, 2019
i left the union for a Management position. at the time UPS took care of its Management. then they slowly took away bonuses and incentives as well as decreased raises while increasing hours and goals. if you are there to just collect a paycheck then its fine but if you take pride in your work and try to take care of your team, then you will be frustrated constantly. you will be expected to do a job with limited resources and time. the only thing they care about is hitting production goals regardless of safety or customer service.
Pros
Benefits, tuition reimbursement, salary
Cons
long hours, work holidays, unrealistic goals
Very fast pace and great culture with many day to day challenges.
On-Road Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CANovember 18, 2018
I love working at UPS, only reason I would leave this great company is to work closer to my family in the San Diego Area.
On a typical day, we begin setting up before all delivery drivers punch in, then after they leave we follow up and plan for future days and improve.
I learned how to communicate effectively and manage production numbers.
The culture is great, everyone who works there makes it a career, not just a job.
The hardest part about working at UPS is managing injuries and crashes.
The best part about working in management at UPS is that we can balance work/life by working with other partners to cover once you leave for family reasons.
Pros
Promotion from within
Cons
The work hours are very extended.
The management loves to lie and cheat
Seasonal Help (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARNovember 29, 2018
Here in northwest Arkansas the management and HR LOVE TO LIE to the seasonal helpers. They tell you it's a 16.50 an hour job it's NOT, it's 10.50 an hour with a possible $80 bonus IF you work the whole week which would be 3 hours a day 5 days a week. You will NOT work full time hours during peak season and you will not receive benefits. You will receive 3 hour shifts, 10.50 a hour and tips from the driver on how dumb and unorganized they are because like I said the LIE and they improvise day by day. If you're desperate for money then by all means but if you're seeking a career and think this is how you'll get your foot in the door then don't expect it...sorry but not sorry.There is a good reason why FedEx pays more and has way better benefits and gets more awards than you guys...
Pros
Free good from people
Cons
HR lies
Great Benefits, physically demanding
Loader/Sorter (Current Employee) –  Hodgkins, ILNovember 14, 2018
Best part time job out there, honestly. Even better if you're looking to pay for school. The union doesn't do much besides job security and you must wait a year for health benefits... but the health benefits are better than most companies and is included with the small union due. You will be overworked in a small period of time, though. This creates a pretty negative culture. Plenty of opportunities to get paid more if you're one of the lucky employees to be selected. If not, you will be subjected to repetitive, physically demanding labor that doesn't even cover the cost of gas... unless you're lucky enough to be selected to get the bonuses offered to most new hires. Even with all that negativity, this job can eventually compensate better than jobs requiring years of experience and education.
Pros
Unreal amount of benefits
Cons
Short breaks, limited hours, highly physically demanding
Great job with little advancement opportunities
SR. IT TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJanuary 3, 2019
Technology department is great. Compensation is good for IT Support and job security is definitely a plus. Not much room for advancing unless your are willing to relocate to NJ, Alanta or Kentucky. Most of the management is great and respectable. The environment is very versatile and no two days are alike which is good. Work life balance is good, I'm able to take off work when needed.
Pros
Compensation, Work life-balance, Job Security, Challenging
Cons
Not enough room for advancing unless willing to travel
Company with a strong sense of teamwork.
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJanuary 14, 2019
Training is thorough for your department. The opportunity to earn more can be achieved through a sorting test or patience through seniority. It is a manual labor work, but one of the few that is not too difficult to manage because everyone starts out as part time, and the ability to earn a living wage with benefits is what makes it more a better drawn than most companies.. The best part about working for UPS is the culture, everyone at UPS understands that manual labor work is physically intensive and every employee strives to work together to ensure that safety and production standards are met.
Pros
Benefits, raises, paid time off, floating holiday pays, vacation time.
Cons
Its a manual labor job
Hard work pays off in the end
Dispatch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 20, 2018
Everyone starts at the bottom moving packages in hub. This job totally sucks. Its hard manual labor in a none heated or cooled facility. You will go home dirty and tired. But UPS only promotes from within. Which means everyone above you started wear you are. You can either stay in the Union and wait until you have enough seniority to bid your way into a better job with better compensation. This may take some time but you will get there. It is only a matter of time. Or you can join Management and try to work your way up through merit based promotions. Beware to get a full time management position you will need a 4 year degree. Either way you should eventually be able to support a family it just depends on the kind of work you want to do and if you want to play corporate politics to get a promotion.
It's alright.
Uniformed Service Provider (Driver) (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 8, 2018
Good money for what you do, but the work/life balance is absolutely terrible. If you're a person that loves overtime so you can trade any family or home time for extra cash, you'd love it here. If you hate spending time with your family during the holidays give them a call; I'm sure they'd love to have you.

If you've got an opportunity to come work as a driver "off the street", I'd give it some serious thought before you leave another job for this gig. How much you can get away with during your probation depends on how well they are staffed. I've seen them fire nearly every single person that came on over the course of a year, and then once they were severely understaffed they let everything slide and miraculously everyone started making it.
Pros
pay, benefits, you're on your own 99% of the time
Cons
management, their unwillingness to adapt to changes, the usual union vs company mentality, hours, work/life balance, it is physically and mentally draining
Changing Culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 14, 2018
UPS compensates very well. Those working for UPS both in an Hourly and Management position face high demands, and for the compensation that is fair. One has to be very strong and flexible to work for this company. A typical day can range from 9 to 13 hours. The experience that I have gained in my 40 years is priceless. I have learned how to do almost any aspect of a Management job. My work experience has given me the opportunity to learn and participate in Human Resources, Automotive, Security, Operations and more. It has given me the opportunity to gain a very broad aspect and acumen of all aspects of the business. My relocations; Chicago, South Illinois, Indianapolis, Salt Lake City and New York has given me an opportunity to learn to manage people from different cultures.
Pros
Compensation and Experience
Cons
Very difficult to balance work and family, but that is a choice one must make to work there.
physically demanding but very well compensated career
Package Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Cerritos CA, Prescott Valley AzOctober 10, 2018
Ups' work place culture was centered around a constant focus on time and excellent customer service. TIme commitment for all service levels was probably the biggest concern. Being safe was also something that was a very big part of a normal work day at UPS. Getting hurt was not an option.

A typical day consisted of 9.5 hours to 11 hours a day of non stop pickup delivery service for hundreds of customers of a day. An average delivery load was 300 pieces a day and pickup about the same.

The best part of my job was the contact with my customers and providing excellent customer service. I can't imagine a better rewarding career paired with the wage and benefit package offered at UPS.
Pros
Excellent pay and retirement pension
Cons
very long hours especially during the holidays

Want to know more about UPS?

Ask a question
Good place to work good benefits.
Air ramp\driver (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 28, 2018
Good place to work if you can handle the peak seasons and Low to start. For benefits for your family stock options and discounts. The pace can be fast and nonstop at times but the culture always allows for plenty a help things get too busy. Weekly paychecks timely raises and room for advancement in my opinion make this a great place to work and a great place to start a career. Management can be a bit poor at times but the union can help you work out any problems or difficulties you may have on the job.
Pros
Weekly paychecks good benefits room for advancement
Cons
Poor management, only part time hours to start, working one year to acquire your benefits
A great company to work for if you can get into management or a delivery position.
Assist other loaders (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSOctober 25, 2018
A typical day show up to work and you will either be loading/unloading a semi or loading a smaller package delivery truck. A physical job you need to be in decent shape to as it is a very fast pace position. If you stick around long enough there is room for advancement. Great company benefits but upper management comes out of the office and yells at the supervisors and in turn the supervisors yell at the laborers. Not a good environment for everyone. You have to have some thick skin to deal with being humiliated at any given time.
Pros
Great company benefits if you stick around.
Cons
Not great on morale
Fast paced, but nothing guaranteed
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Willow Grove, PANovember 15, 2018
Good company if you have the drive for it.
I was there for 6 years (3 times the amount of time I told them I'd be there for) and they didn't want to give me a full-time loader position because I wasn't the head of my household. I had no interest in management and didn't pass the driving test after 2 attempts, which I know is on me, but those were the 3 options as far as advancement goes. Benefits were great, as part-time I had my own insurance, my regular co-pay was about $10 at most places. The pay was good, I started at $8.50 and worked my way up to $14, but I believe they're starting higher now. We were "guaranteed" 3.5 hours a day, Mon-Fri. (So not even part time.) However if there wasn't enough work to justify keeping a full team they'd send people home without pay for the day. Management was hit-or-miss. I had managers that were great and got to know each of their employees personally, and some that looked for any reason to get rid of their employees.
Pros
Fast paced, good pay, great benefits
Cons
Hours aren't guaranteed, management is a hit or miss
A solid Fortune 500 Company
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MADecember 5, 2018
UPS paid very well and has an outstanding benefit package. In turn UPS is a very demanding goal orientated company that puts results ahead of all else. Work life balance was hard to accomplish when working between 55-80 hours on any given week. Team spirit and the UPS way is a huge part of the culture. I enjoyed the fast paced atmosphere and the people I worked with, at the end of the day you knew you had accomplished something, but knew the next day would be just as challenging. I retired after 32 years in package operations on good terms and with no regrets.
Pros
Excellent Pay and Benefits
Cons
this job dose not pay good for the amount of work you do
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 12, 2018
this job is to dangerous, unsafe, and to hot for the amount u get paid. The pay is not worth it unless you want to have career with them in management or driving the trucks. that being said the pay may not be that good but there are some really great benefits like health insurance and discounts on all sorts of things but it takes a year to get most these benefits and most people quit before then because the work is to hard for them. they even tell you when you get hired you will not like this job at first.
Pros
benefits you get from the job like health insurance
Cons
no breaks, backbreaking work
A Dead End Place to Work
Local Sort Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 20, 2018
The company talks about safety but does not practice and follow their own procedures.
As an employee in management it is hard to transition from part time to full time. You see part time supervisors who work for the company for more than 10 years before getting the opportunity to advance to full time if at all. They tell you that you should have a degree but most of the people they promote don't have a degree. If you want to advance you are given excuses . When you do finally get promoted you are stressed out with long hours, fear of being fired and continuous scolding for your mistakes.

They offer tuition reimbursement which is a helpful tool to either help you advance or take it and leave for a better opportunity elsewhere.

The health insurance for people in Management is a joke. The hourly employees have better and cheaper benefits.

As an employee within management you are just and glorified hourly employee with better pay.
Pros
Tuition Assistance
Cons
Short or no breaks, lack of respect from upper mgmt, poor pay
Might as well be military
Industrial Engineering Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 12, 2018
Pay and benefits are good. Management is old school military style borderline abusive application of micromanagement. High level training classes are designed to represent the worst possible days you could have, in some ill-fated hope that said horrible experience will make actual work better. Constant job threats come down to anyone and everyone regardless of standing or rank. Motivation by intimidation with virtually zero positive reinforcement of anything.
Pros
Decent Pay
Cons
Complete lack of any concept of work/life balance
Heavy focus on deadlines and safety
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 15, 2018
Usual 4-5 hour work day, move the product as it comes to you as quickly and safely as you can. Management and job culture are lacking. The work is not hard in and of itself, however the buildings and overall environment is depressing, moreso during dayshift. Workplace culture is wholly focused on safety, and attempts to engage through "edutainment". Hardest part was peak season, 12 hour days with large spans on no activity, then large spans of non-stop movement. The pay and benefits are amazing, however.
Pros
Paid tuition for UofL, free amazing insurance, lots of vacation time with seniority
Cons
Poor management, depressing workplace, little room for upward movement
UPS is fast paced individualized work
ODC/Internationals Auditor (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 23, 2018
A typical work day at UPS is lots of lifting and moving packages.
I learned a lot about safety and properly lifting techniques.
The management team watch the hourly employees work.
The UPS culture is that of an individualized one, everyone is own his own for the most part.
The hardest part at UPS was the heavy lifting.
The most enjoyable part at UPS was the FREE medical, dental, and vision benefits. and the few friends made along the way.
Pros
Free medical, dental, and vision insurance, short shifts.
Cons
No schedules breaks for part timers
Running reports, reporting directly to RDO.
Assistant Terminal Manager (Current Employee) –  Carteret, NJSeptember 8, 2018
A typical day at work consists of running reports, metrics driven, coaching sessions and monitoring the operational results.
The workplace culture of UPS is one of great pride and teamwork. All management tends to stick together and work as one to achieve one goal. The hardest part of the job is trying to terminate repeat offenders. Union job so extremely difficult.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the camaraderie amongst the supervisors. They all stick together and work well within the ranks. All shifts can be managed by any supervisor. They are all cross-trained to work any shift if he need arises.
Pros
Pays extremely well
Cons
Medical benefits are very very poor. Deductibles extremely high

510.5K

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP30%
In the Top 30% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at UPS.

Powered by Comparably