UPS Employee Reviews for Package Handler

You make it what you want to make it
Entry Level Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 17, 2017
UPS is another learning experience.

You make the experience what you want it.

Teaches you about commitment, discipline, and vision.

Understanding the bigger picture.
Pros
Room to Advance
Cons
Management, Work Culture
Ups
Package Handler (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Sparks Glencoe, MDDecember 17, 2017
information already included.

This job was great unfortunately once you worked at UPS once they do not re-hire employees that already had worked for UPS over the years.
Hard work. Poor conditions. Hot, freezing. A job for people who are starving with no other prospects at that time.
Package Handler Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 17, 2017
Not recommended for the weak or timid. Opportunities available but far in between. Benefits better than job itself. Anyone can be a supervisor there. Babies trying to instruct adults.
Benefits
Cons
The job
liked it
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 17, 2017
was fun place to work. enjoyed the culture. fast paced. safety is number 1. everyone is treated fairly. Full time cadillac plan benefits for putting in part time hours. awesome place to work.
Pros
excellent raises
Cons
cant think of any
Not the Best/Not the Worst
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CADecember 16, 2017
I left UPS back in June having worked there for nearly a year. It honestly wasn't the worst place to be at but it definitely could use a lot of improvements. Many of the employees and even supervisors you work for are pretty great to work with. That makes it more manageable to get stuff the necessary tasks done as many works days tended to get highly stressful because of the high volume of bulk and other packages.

You constantly have to adjust to meet PPH demands otherwise you could fall horribly behind and get scolded. This isn't really a complaint as I actually really liked the challenge.

However, I feel management here was highly disorganized at times as there was a little too much emphasis on boosting numbers as they seemed to give prioritization to areas that didn't need it at times. Examples being that they would send too many loaders from one PD to another. Sometimes that caused the whole PD to fall behind and the hours got really crazy so you were stuck working overtime.

And for the type of working you're constantly doing, you get really underpaid.

But it wasn't all bad. You're constantly being kept productive so it's anything but boring. As a loader, it could get strangely fun at times building a good wall and trying to better your PPH. If you can get through some of the politics, disorganization, and highly physical demands, it might be worth it because of the benefits and multiple opportunities to advance.

Overall, this place has its glaring flaws but what company is perfect? It's a pretty solid place to start. It gives you a bit of exercise and
  more... that extra push to keep bettering yourself.  less
Pros
Great Benefits, Good Team Environment
Cons
Low Salary, Highly Disorganized
Wonderful job
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVDecember 16, 2017
I love working here, i get paid well, everyone is nice.. quick paced job, a lot of physical work and all together just a BIG THUMBS UP from me. GO UPS
Next Day Air
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Halethorpe, MDDecember 15, 2017
The way that the work is set up in the warehouse is made to be comfortable in your given position. If loading trucks, you can clearly hear and see the work load coming your way. If unloading trucks, you can expect a workload on par with your physical ablitiy. Managers are good at making sure you are trained well in your position.
Great part time work, hard to transition in to full time if you're already working
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 15, 2017
The scheduled hours for days vary, so the "5p -10p M-F" may be more like 430p-10p etc.

Usual day, you get there, get assigned a trailer. If you're a good unloader you may get moved around to a bad trailer or a trailer that's taken too long to unload, but the supervisors are generally pretty great. The ones I saw there that were bad didn't last very long.

The only downside I had to working there was that I had a full time job already and the hours became too much. On top of that, I had wanted to transition to UPS for a FT position, but you have to become a part time supervisor. Part time supervisors start their day an hour earlier than the shift, and end an hour later. But you may not get 40 hours a week. You might get more, but it's uncertain.

With that uncertainty, I didn't feel safe leaving my full time job for the part time supervisor position at UPS, but that was the only path towards full time employment with the company.

It's hard work, physically. But I actually really enjoyed being there.
Pros
Great advancement opportunities if you can commit to their schedule
Cons
Schedule varies, hours aren't guaranteed.
productive and very motivated position
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 15, 2017
daily routes, management of time and routes. delivered packages all around, timed routes. diverse workplace and i enjoyed my clients and my overal position. transistioned into driver in about months.
didn't like it
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 15, 2017
Not for me I'm 40 and need something more stable in my life at the moment. I just don't like this job and would never do it again ever or recommend others to the company.
Pros
N/a
Cons
No breaks ever
hard work and low pay, but its fun and the benefits are great
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 15, 2017
the work here is hard, but it's fun like you're working out. the pay is low, but the benefits are great and you get overtime after 4 hours. It's unionized, so there's no need to worry about getting fired unless you were dishonest, stole, or got physical with others. I recommend this job, especially as a first job or as extra income. Also the pay increases every 6 months.
Pros
unionized, work environment, benefits, overtime pay
Cons
low pay, hard physical work
Very fast pace job
UPS Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJDecember 14, 2017
Ups is a very good job for beginners willing to work in a warehouse setting. They dont require you to have much experiance because the training is very good and infomative.
Pros
bonuses after hired full time
Cons
short breakes
Trailors stacked with boxes.
UPS Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Vista, CADecember 13, 2017
A typical day would be unloading 5 trailers by yourself while maintaining a steady paste of 1,200 boxes per hour, heavy or not. The supervisor was pretty helpful but regardless the work was still hard. I can't complain because i signed up for it.
Pros
Muscle Power
Cons
Back Aches, Hard to go to sleep.
If you treat it like a brutal, dirty gym that pays you a little to go there, you will survive. lol
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJDecember 13, 2017
If you can handle a job that is very physically demanding, you might survive. Working as a loader or unloader in a hub is very fast-paced and stressful. I lost 50 pounds in the first 6 months I was there. Most employees don't last that long, to be honest. If you stick it out, you can advance within the company and make a great salary. It's union--unless you go the managerial route--and there are great benefits.
Pros
Great exercise; great benefits and tuition reimbursement even if only part-time.
Cons
short breaks, dirty, industrial work environment, lots of pressure to work very fast and still follow 'safety measures' which is next to impossible
Good
UPS Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, GADecember 13, 2017
Great experience, I think assistant drivers should be paid more due to the fact they are running in rain, cold, snow. The great thing about it is you have experience with package and handling also how to scan and work the equipment.
fast-past environment
Package Handler/sorter (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 13, 2017
good environment and good people to work with. I learned that everyone has a role to play and everyone has to work as a team. management was o.k. The job can get stressful but its how you do your job and work around everyone else that determines that. The part of the job I enjoyed was being around people that I was comfortable with being around and working with.
It's a lot more than you think
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Franklin Park, ILDecember 13, 2017
You will pick up heavy boxes more than 70 Ibs, up to 150 Ibs max, not like the description, however, there is assistance rules for that so you dont pick it up yourself. 3 am to 9 am isnt always true either, basically depends on your position in the facility cause there maybe times where you start at 2 am or even midnight in the holidays for an 8 hr shift.
Pros
Some coworkers are nice and will train you themselves
Cons
Other coworkers can be mean and rush you, pay is good but not that good, arguements in the facility are abundant
Fast paced parcel company
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Hodgkins, ILDecember 13, 2017
A fast-paced work environment that offers great benefits and a secured life-long career with a 401k plan. This is a good job if you are starting off and wants something to add to your resume if you don't have much work experience.
Fast paced
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 13, 2017
Collaborative team effort toward progression. Good benefits and opportunities of advancement. Friendly environment with team members focused on success.
Pros
Easy to learn steps of work requirements.
Cons
Seasonal Weather conditions.(Winter)
Ups
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 13, 2017
One of the best packaging companies on the market.with an on time delivery guarantee. most employees love the job and what it entails after being there for an while, you take pride in the job.