UPS Employee Reviews

Found 26,418 reviews matching the search See all 28,456 reviews
very fast paced, stressful and physical job however benefits are unbeatable
Preloader/Package Handler (Current Employee) –  moses lake, waNovember 8, 2018
All employees start out at the bottom as a part timer in which very few will make it. Turn over is very high due to short staffing, extreme weather conditions and the fact that the job is extremely physical in nature. If you put in the work and make it through the low pay, low hours and grunt work, you can advance through seniority in about 5-7 years. Driver positions are just as hard and demanding but the pay and benefits are unbeatable.
Pros
Healthcare benefits
Cons
overworked, underpaid
Hard work but worth it
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  New Stanton, PADecember 13, 2018
I was truck loader at UPS and it was a good place to work. Don't get me wrong-it was physically draining but you can dress and talk however you want which is nice. Being insulted by supervisors and irritable coworkers is normal, but they can't force you to anything out of reason. You learn not to care about it much and just end up doing your own thing. For the pay, it was very good work and kind of fun.
Pros
Paid break, short shifts, health care
Cons
Physical work
It use to be much better,,, things have really changed in the last 30 years. People dont have very good work ethics anymore,, younger generation.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, ARNovember 7, 2018
Lots changed since 1984, I started as a preloaded, part time and then started driving in 1985. I really loved my, my customers and people in general!!! I am very out going, it was the perfect job for me.. I worked as my own boss basically, did my job on my own. I was outdoors which I love and always very busy. Made a very good salary but I worked very hard for it too.
I retired 2 years ago and I am looking for part time work. I do not need insurance benefits.
I'm dependable, responsible, respectful and honest.
Pros
Own boss, do your job
Cons
Long hours, get off really late, hard to have family time during the week
no comment
Preload Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 13, 2018
Properly describing a hazardous material is a fundamental requirement for communicating the presence of a potential hazard to representatives of the shipper, carrier, consignee, or regulatory agency who may come in contact with the shipment. The description not only communicates the presence of a hazardous material, but also establishes the specific emergency actions to take in the event of an incident involving that material.
A great place to work at
Package Handler (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 26, 2018
Not only was the work culture amazing, so were the managers and even the people hired on. It wasn't too crowded of a place, everyone made sure communication was there in order to fulfill our tasks at hand. At the time it was only a part time position but it is one I could see myself doing again, and I recommend this job to anyone out there like that that deals with anxiety in any form.

In terms of cons, I can't really think of any myself. It was a fun, fast-paced job, where I felt I had plenty of room in my personal bubble to really focus on the task at hand. And I would love to come back and work for a great company again if offered the position again.
Pros
Great environment, independent work, fast-paced
Cons
Seasonal position
Low Pay Slave
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 10, 2018
I was excited to work for UPS, until I found out how high the turnover rate is. They can not keep employees because the pay is extremely low and the work is back breaking.

The job conditions in the warehouse were SHOCKING. If you care anything about your physical, mental, and emotional health do not apply.
Pros
Benefits sound good, but employees do not last long enough to receive them.
Cons
Low pay, high turnover rates, shocking work conditions, back breaking work.
fast paced
Package Car Driver (Former Employee) –  Ft. Worth, TXNovember 5, 2018
The expectations for training are a little unrealistic as the seasoned drivers don't ever really meet the requirements. You also need to watch out for yourself, because there is really zero help. Example... There is a calculated amount of time for each stop, each package, and different pickups on each route which gives the work load of the day. My time was not accounted for to pull a trailer everyday (which I found out later I was supposed to be paid more hourly for) and wouldn't count for time to pick up and drop while trying to make my time for training. Benefits and pay were good.
Good position, advancement with worked hours and loyalty
UPS administrative office (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ALNovember 5, 2018
Calling customers regarding their bills, receiving calls from customers about late deliveries, payments, etc. Learned several positions, customer service, billing, customer counter, shipping @ returning packages. Management was not easy to correspond with managers @ supervisors. Workplace was pleasant and employees were upbeat which made the day easier @ fun to work day by day. Nothing hard about these positions or my job. The most enjoyable was talking to customers and resolving their issues, and getting customers to commit to making their late payments.
Pros
Christmas bonus
Cons
15 minute breaks, 30 minute lunch breaks
i was 17 at the time and it was intense.
Laborer Worker (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PANovember 5, 2018
Being a part time worker and not for a long time, i was not able to recieve
possible benefits as some people, It is a tedious job for a teenager and
the part time hours are good. No weekends is a plus and sometimes your hours were not enough because you work until you are finished. you would drive or get a ride to work anddue to small work load, you would have drive home or be picked up sometimes shorly after.
Pros
a good place to work for many people.Hours are varied.
Cons
may not get the hours daily that you are hired for.
Not a welcoming place to work
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 4, 2018
I never in my adult like worked for a company where the culture was one of playing favorites. If your supervisor liked you and you were really good at kissing their feet you were allowed to get away with anything. I never got my breaks, lunch was always cut short because the "favorite" always had a reason to leave when I was still on my lunch hour.

It was a viper's nest of ineptitude that was never addressed and the stress was overwhelming. I dreaded going to work and finally found a decent, well paying job.
Cons

Want to know more about UPS?

Ask a question
The work environment was midly comfortable. Great company
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Doraville, GANovember 10, 2018
Ups provided its employees with anple overtime both throughout regular hours and with overtime hours during their holiday seasons. The hardest part of my days at ups would be the weather would change and your unloading trucks in sweatpants and a tank-top in 30 degree weather.
Pros
Plenty of overtime was offered. Job advancement isn't to complicated.
Cons
lunch breaks wasnt long enough and/or wasn't given.
Cool place to work but not really if you're a woman like me.
UPS Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CANovember 22, 2018
was hard but rewarding work. I worked long days but felt accomplished at the end of them. Teamwork was cool too just I've had an overwhelming feeling that it was really a boy's club. Oh and seniority rules here in package delivery land.
Pros
Paid pretty well but inconsistent on pay schedule.
Cons
Sucked a lot when it came to paydays, not being paid properly not consistently. Was lied to by a manger about paychecks.
It's hard place to work. You are gone from home alot.
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCNovember 28, 2018
To work at UPS you have to be a self motivated person. This is not a job that you can relax at. The safety and wellbeing of yourself and others plus the companies equipment and reputation is something you have to always consider. It is a very good job. But it demands a lot of your time. Which can make it harder than some jobs. Especially on your family. All in all it's a good job great benefit great pay salary or hourly.
Fast paced, fun and never a dull moment kind of work place!
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CANovember 21, 2018
-Collected roll call and replaced whoever was absent that day to accumulate enough helpers for the drivers.
-I learned that you need to be a quick thinker and that it was important to create a relationship with the helpers in order for them to return and want to work!
-The Manager I worked under was a Great Manager who made things work and took everyone into consideration.
-Was very fast paced and made the day go by fast!
-Getting the helpers to keep track of their own hours.
-Being successful in having enough helpers for all my drivers and guarantee my drivers that the helpers will be at the pick-up location and time as requested.
Pros
xtra hours, overtime
Cons
No health care for Helper Coordinators
Very Disappointing
Driver (Former Employee) –  Fishersville, VADecember 12, 2018
Definitely felt I was not given a chance. I had 1 week of class, passed the tests, given uniforms, purchased new shoes and worked roughly 3 days. Did not hear from them for a week so I called and was called back several hours later and was told I was disqualified because I was to slow. I don't feel the road training was adequate nor do I feel I was given the opportunity to learn the route or the Diad. Very disappointing to say the least.
Pros
Cons
To many to list
Great Managers and Employee Interest
Preloader/Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 2, 2018
The management at UPS showed its best to its workers by ensuring that all employees were treated properly and knew their role in the company. During the busiest time of the year, peak season, the management went all out giving employees coats, hats, gloves, and food during longer shift days. The workplace had a great sense of community. It was very easy to get along with your fellow co-workers.
Pros
Good pay, proper training, free apparel
Cons
Longer days, cold temperature
The position will involve maintaining a positive attitude while working in a fast paced environment.
Direct Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 14, 2018
Delivered an exceptional level of service to each customer in person and on the telephone calls by listening to concerns and answering questions.Schedule drivers to pick up and deliver loads to customers or vendors. I was responsible for keeping records, monitoring driver daily logs for errors or violations and monitoring drivers' working hours. knowing the weather of all your drivers locations in order to flag potential issues. Scheduled and canceled appointments for arrival times and destinations. To ensure that the truck drivers have the cargo to carry and stick to their appointed arrival times and destinations.
Hard work but you can make a good career out of it
Package handler (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 2, 2018
If you are a lazy person you will not do well at this job. They will work you very hard but they do make you feel valued. Free healthcare after nine months and they will pay over $5,000 a year on your tuition! If you put in your time in as a package handler you can become a driver and make a nice career for yourself. Overall I would recommend it if you have a good work ethic.
Pros
Paid breaks, great benefits, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Extremely stressful at times
Intolerable
Senior Systems Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Timonium, MDDecember 11, 2018
I have tried for 17 years to make things work at this company. It will never happen. The situation has continually become worse with each passing year. Management is heavy handed and doesn't listen to its employees. I have NEVER had even a cost of living pay increase in almost 18 years. They seem determined to make everyone's life miserable, while management soaks up extra stock and makes everyone work night and day and weekends. I was recently called back to work during my vacation due to bad management planning and ineptitude. I would never recommend that anyone take a job there.
Pros
can't say anything good about it
Cons
terrible pay, endless persecution, etc. etc. - completely thankless for all of my years of service
Fast paced, cost conscious, challenging employment
Road Driver safety trainer (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 31, 2018
This company is a customer oriented, business oriented, and employee oriented entity. Employees are expected to adhere to company standards and expectations. The management is open door, but employees are expected to follow the chain of command. Work is fast paced, detailed, and can be somewhat seasonal. If you follow the objectives of both the safety and job environment. The best part of the job is the people you work with.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Time oriented, constant oversight.

510.3K

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight