US Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews

Found 1,266 reviews matching the search See all 1,272 reviews
Great Experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARNovember 21, 2018
Great experience. Learned a lot all over the board, however, the hard work wore a little on everybody occasionally. Other than that, enjoyable job culture.
I really enjoyed my job, & took pride in it.
Intermittent Food Inspector (Former Employee) –  9066 State Hwy W, Cassville, Mo 65625November 21, 2018
On a typical day, I would inspect 15,000 carcasses per shift for abnormalities. After dispositioning a carcass, my inspector helper would either condemn, or hang the carcass on the reprocessing line for re-work.
Pros
Ensuring the quality of the product I inspected.
Cons
I was an Intermittent Food Inspector. On call from 5am-10pm.
treated people fairly
22nd Century Technologies Contractor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 14, 2018
ok place to work work assigned according to skills Flexible work hours. Building well secured -negative was few options for lunch to to neighborhood location
No support until you're in the union
Food Inspector (Former Employee) –  Hickory, KYNovember 13, 2018
You will not officially be in the union until after 1 year of service. If there are any issues you will not really receive assistance unless you are in the union. Vacation/Personal time is available upon hire but if you use it before the end of the 1 year probationary period you will be fired for it.
Great department to work for.
Office Automation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 11, 2018
I received optimal training in budget, grant management, risk management, data analysis and more. Thank you for your question and consideration. Thank you.
USDA is a great place to work
Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington DCNovember 11, 2018
I have worked at USDA for 40 years and have always had good supervisors who looked out for my personal career growth. USDA has improved the culture over the past years and allows for work life balance that is conducive to the employees.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Reduction in Telework
It felt like a family
Duty Officer (Former Employee) –  Perry, FLNovember 7, 2018
The job atmosphere in DOA was one of an extended family. Everyone worked together to make it a team environment. We celebrated holidays together and were there when a personal family crisis occurred
Great Position, Terrible Management
Recreation Technician GS-04 (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WINovember 6, 2018
I loved everything about the position with USDA FS, except the management. My position worked with overseeing the campgrounds and recreation areas. I enjoyed the day-to-day tasks and special projects by my supervisor would purposefully not tell us how to do something so she could come and save the day in front of her supervisor. Throwing us under the bus.
Pros
Great benefits, even for temp positions
Cons
Management can be tricky
Great Agency
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rosslyn, VA 22209October 31, 2018
This is a great agency to work for. This company takes the time to train employees on each specific job that you have. The Agency is very welcoming and serves its purpose to the Unites States Federal government prospective.
Slaughter plant beef
USDA Federal Food Safety Meat Inspector (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEOctober 29, 2018
Fast paced line work lifting turning observing all work stations an insuring employees an supervisors follow all sanitaion procedures ,while performing inspection duties that meat product is free from contamintion an diaseses , abnormalites and approved for human consumption. Diverse work culture, company management needs to be more involved an know how to manage correctly. Enjoyable co-workers who work as a team.
Not a cohesive environment, plus the buildings were filled with asbestos.
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Michoud, LAOctober 24, 2018
The position description was totally different from actual duties. Supervisor felt her criteria superceded the Federal government. If you needed assistance on any case file, you are on your own.

Pray none of your immediate family members die, it messes up their schedule so expect retribution if you take time off.
Pros
Mandatory breaks
Cons
Negative working environment
OK if you are up to the Challenge
Management Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alice, TXOctober 23, 2018
This is a good place to work if you can handle change and diversity. One rule does not apply to the entire State. You need to be able to read and decipher rules and regulations and have good communications skills in person, via correspondence and by phone.
Pros
Good work hours and benefits
Cons
Required trainings before final regulations are finalized.
Very fast working environment
Product Inspector (Former Employee) –  Perry, GAOctober 23, 2018
Work environment was very hot at times. Smell was sometime unbearable and most workers was only there to get a pay check, not look forward to a career.
Exciting Place to work
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILOctober 22, 2018
This agency was in charge of making sure food was safe and that packaging was reliable. The people who worked here and management were meticulous in making sure that good quality food was made for our military and others
Supervisor accessibility was above average.
Management Analyst Officer (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, MDOctober 22, 2018
Specialized training to improve employee performance was routinely available. Electronic system improvements were implemented frequently. Facilities were cleaned daily.
I had enjoyed working for the USDA
Statistical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAOctober 22, 2018
I would recommend that agency to anyone that was interested in working for the government. I had enjoyed opening and distributing the mail. I also enjoyed keeping the data base up to date tor 11 states.
Pros
Could take leave whenever I wanted to.
Cons
Answering the phone
not stress at work
Food Inspector Intermittent GS-05 (Current Employee) –  Brawley, CAOctober 22, 2018
as inspector every day is a challenge to learn new pathology. co workers are good partners . company has a very good respect for our job and authority. respect our job all the time.
Pros
good company to work with.
Cons
intermittent does not have any kind of bennefits
Do not work here
Accountant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 20, 2018
This was the worst place I ever worked. Management was horrible, employees were treated subhuman, one employee even took her own life and related it to job harassment.

You are overworked and seldom rewarded and almost never appreciated. Management is petty and mean spirited. Bullying and mistreatment by management is the norm. When you are interviewed they will promise you so much but after hiring you will receive nothing you were promised in the interview.

If you value your mental health do not work here. It was a truly traumatizing experience.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
You are treated like trash, ridiculously overworked and underpaid.
Presidential Mandate to digitize soil maps in the U.S. and Pacific Basin. Created new jobs in the area and motivation.
Cartographic Technician (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTOctober 20, 2018
Typical day was different than the day before. I learned how to communicate technical responsibilities to teams, scientists, and upper level management on a consistent basis. I learned what employees were looking for to keep motivated. I learned and instructed team to learn four different geospatial software programs.
Managed by soil scientists for delivery of digital databases for on-line distribution. Hired employees who were usually at work, but back to college within 6 months. Hardest part of job was keeping up with the sort of ebb and flow of workload capacity needed to achieve production goals. Most enjoyable were certification activities, communications, meetings with other groups for quality control processes, and technical involvement in yearly production goals.
Pros
Engaging, challenging, rewarding and beyond anything I ever expected in terms of a job
Cons
Too much to do at times. Equipment was old, and work areas were sufficient but very old.
dfdgbgbg
Procurement Intern (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXOctober 18, 2018
It was a great place to work. I enjoyed it. It was fun. It was great. Nice people everywhere. What an atmosphere. So much pay for everyone. What a career