US Department of Energy Employee Reviews

No so great
Project Consultant (Current Employee) –  Oak RidgeOctober 17, 2018
The supervisor did not know how to manage people productively. Operations did not think they should speak to the client most of the time. The DOE Fed liasons did not have many guidelines and policies for us to follow. Most of the time there was more than one way to do a job, and it always seems to be the wrong way depending on the mood of the VIP.
Pros
Laidback
Cons
Too laidback!
Decent place to work
Executive Assistant GS-06 (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 17, 2018
I tried to move up and management was supportive but the hiring manager wasn't. No hard feelings, just took a higher position somewhere else. If the opportunity presented itself, I'd go back.
Excellent place to work
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCJuly 25, 2012
Typical day: priortize work to be completed, get bosses input for most urgent. update division calander. Gather input for reports. Type up correspondence, attach supporting documentation if needed, and send it up to next level for review. File. Make travel arrangements when needed by division personnel. Type up procurement requests. Gather and submit time and attendence. Order publications. Take notes at division meetings and type up for directors review. Answered/screened calls. Prepared Power Point slides. Maintained division files. Helped where needed.

I learned you can do a lot with a group committed to excellence.

Management at all levels wanted to get the job done right.

Co-workers: where great to be around and were true professionals.

Hardest part: was when I had to leave to take care of my family.

Most enjoyable part: Was working with a great group of people.
Pros
good team to work with, great benefits
Cons
long drive
Bureaucracy run amok
Criminal Investigator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 26, 2017
The organization has strayed too far from its original mission of making the United Stated energy independent. The maze of lab and contractor-managed (controlled) sites makes it nearly impossible to implement agency-wide change. It is more akin to each site being its own organization with only a conceptual tether to HQ. They are nearly, some more than others, autonomous. If someone can come in and focus only on their little task, they'll be fine. If they depend on anyone outside their work group, they'll be miserable.

The work life balance is good, possibly too much so. It is not uncommon for anything to be more important than actual work. CFC, Award Ceremonies and the like must be attended, but little thought is given to actual work. The procurement processes are Rube Goldberg machines, so if you work in an operation which requires consumables, you will likely end up with equipment you cannot use for long periods.
Pros
The orange chicken in the cafeteria is first rate.
Cons
Poor SES corps in some operations.
Productive Place to work
Financial Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 21, 2018
A lot to learn from and take part in the growth of the country. There is plenty of information online about DOE. It is an experience you will have to have for yourself.
Pros
Small, local
Cons
Small, local
Lead Engineer (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 3, 2016
Best place I ever worked. Management supports employees. Great comradery. You get a real feeling of accomplishment working there. If you understand the mission you realize what an asset to the country the SPR is.
Pros
Great benefits and work environment
Cons
government salaries are usually lower than private industry
A very good place to work with challenging and exciting mission and functions.
General Engineer; GS-15 (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 24, 2017
The Department of Energy (DOE) is an agency that has a versatile work force of workers of many background. I learned and gained expertise in the areas of project management, received my post graduate degree in the Environmental Management (University of Maryland), obtained certification of PMP, etc.

Management of DOE was always supportive and encouraged me to take on new challenges and tasks. Hardest part was to leave the government. I enjoyed implementing what I learned and seeing the results.
Pros
Management suport.
Cons
There were not too many negatives.
Productive and room to grow
Programmer Analyst- Full time (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCMarch 27, 2018
Everyday was a new challenge working at Department of Energy. I got to learn and improve my skills. It was a typical 7am to 3pm work environment. I got to learn different technologies in a short span.
Great Place to work
Customer Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDJune 6, 2013
great benefits
job security
good work / life balance
great coworkers
Good pay , alot of Travel
Engineering Technician III (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMDecember 23, 2016
Good pay and benefits. Alot of time traveling and away from family. Would be perfect for a single person. Great people to work with.
enjoyed the Solar Energy Technologies divison
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20585January 11, 2018
This was a contract position- enjoyed working with the Director of the Solar Energy Technologies department

Typical day spoke with many individuals in the US about solar energy.
Productive and family oriented
Systems/Civil Engineer, GS (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 27, 2017
The Federal Government is a secure place to work. You need a security clearance. The SPR is Strategic to the United States. The work involves managing the United States oil reserves which can be used during times of national emergency.
Pros
Good work, family oriented
Horrible
Contract Business Analyst and Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 5, 2017
Management only care about keeping their jobs by doing whatever the Director requests. Management is extremely overpaid and do not know what they are doing. Work environment is very dis functional and continually changing the rules pertaining to what management wants that day. Clearly this environment is a waste of taxpayers funds and should be closed. Beware do not work here.
Cons
Very bad morale in the organization
Audit Director (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAAugust 15, 2017
Horrible upper level executive management. Very dysfunctional. Abusive to employees. in my 35 years as a federal employee, I've never experienced conditions such as this, particularly, verbal and emotional abuse
Pros
Cons
Not a healthy work environment
Great learning opportunity
Health / Safety / Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  WAPA - Loveland ColoradoAugust 31, 2015
DOE help build my skill set to become marketable to many private corporations which afforded me advancement and salaries not available in the government; Schedule was set as 40 hour weeks with Monday - Friday and no overtime ability; working environment was excellent.
Pros
off-time meant off-time
Cons
advancement in career field is very limited
Family Environment
Lead Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 20, 2017
I learned how to respect my coworkers early in my career by working here, and have not found another job with more collaboration since. I would love to work here again.
Pros
Team work, family atmosphere
Cons
Federal Government Restrictions & Wastes
Very important role and location
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVAugust 29, 2017
I loved working here as I played a crucial role to the heart of the United States Department of Energy. This site was a high profile site with many important leaders attending.
To far from home

•management
Fair

•your co-workers
Fair

•the hardest part of the job
Dealing with traffic

•the most enjoyable part of the job
Getting off
All employees were very passionate about the work they did.
HR Officer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, Denver, PhoenixJune 9, 2017
I was an HR Director there responsible for developing work places that were the best in the country. That is what we had. Turnover was very low and that saves money for tax payers.
THey wouldl give us a bonus every year
Senior Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 14, 2016
The place that I enjoyed the most was here In the Department of Energy, I met very interesting people and how to handle difficult situation. There is not place that you can be that would treat you so placentae and at the same time you get training for everything that they want you to be good at.
Pros
Great bonues
Cons
Late hours