US Department of Energy

US Department of Energy Employee Reviews

US Department of Energy insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager

Great coworker's

Great place to work in a nice environment. Great place to learn a lot of new technologies and use what you already know to apply to your every day job.

Loved every bit of it

I went in as a young administrative assistant and came out a network administrator. The opportunities are fair enough should you really take advantage of them and communicate these to your supervisor. I was able to receive IT training and apply for an IT-related position within the department and received it. This opened the door to better opportunities including work with the NCIS and FBI. It is too bad that I had to leave, but if I could rewind back time, I would've taken a promotion that the DOE had offered me, but instead I left because I wanted to explore further career growth. Up to this day, I thank the DOE for providing me with such an excellent opportunity.

Pros

Benefits, education and excellent internal job opportunities

Cons

Central politicians may reduce staff from the regional offices with little warning

Important work for national security

Great way to be involved in important national security work and have significant responsibility from early on in one's career. Very interesting work.

Pros

Great work/life balance

Cons

For certain positions compensation is lower than averagege

Productive; Enjoyably culture

Everyone working in DOE and in and out of the facilities were professionals and are of high integrity person. My 11 years with DOE as a Security Police officer II, was some of the best times in my life.

Pros

Education; professionalism; pay

Cons

Stress of keeping your clearance Q;TS etc.

Interesting work

Interesting work for a government job. Chances to be creative but there is always a lot of work to do. Salaries here tend to be lower for the level of professional talent that is here compared to other government agencies.

Pros

interesting work, professional atmosphere

Cons

harder to move ahead compared to other government agencies

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

Great Place to work

a typical work day is you'll have morning safety and turn over meetings before your work day begins. Afterwards you will be given your daily task by management. The work culture is very different because its an older workforce. The most enjoyable part of the day is the end of the day,

Productive and supportive work environment

Excellent learning experience in a technical environment that provided experience with a plethora of work strands: business development, environmental services, advocacy, and government contracting guidelines.

Pros

Wonderful work environment with great colleagues

Cons

Geographical area is distant and sparcely populated

Very political / no hands-on work, all contractor oversight

Many decisions are made based on public perception, risk to the organization's exposure to legal action, political influence from lobbyist and law makers rather than based on factual technical basis for what is best for the tax payer and the region. Federal employees do not do any of the work for cleaning up the radioactive waste, but rather they are responsible for oversight of the contractors who actually perform the cleanup work. That is all well and good, but I prefer doing the work or supervising those who are doing the work.

Better than some of the other federal agencies

Good to work for if you are interested in public service, scientific innovation, long-term research, being part of vital part of society. One of the bigger U.S. agencies to work for

Germantown facility is not a place for people of color

The culture at the Germantown, MD facility was not diverse. People of color were marginalized, not promoted despite having a degree in their field or expertise. Caucasion employees were able to advance with no degree or no experience to GS13 and 14 levels. My 10+ years showed that they subscribe to the stereotype that people of color are lazy and could not be as smart as any caucasion employee.

Bloated walrus in search of a mission

First of all, you must understand that DOE is desperately seeking a mission. It is overstaffed and its budget far exceeds it needs. It abhors ALL religion except INCLUSION (i.e., exclusion).

See FDShaffer.Net

I worked for thirty-two years as a research engineer, project manager, and policy analyst at the U.S. Department of Energy, Pittsburgh Energy Technology Laboratory.

See below great experience!

Great place to work at the time! The people and opportunities were great. Would work for them again if the opportunity came along. Great benefits also.

Interesting, meaningful scientific work

I was individually recruited for this job, because of management's observation of my work. For years I considered it the best job possible. In the past few years the amount of red tape and political sensitivity have increased. This has caused many of my most respected co-workers to leave. I feel I can make a more satisfying contribution in the private sector. The most enjoyable part of the job is staying current on the latest scientific research, and seeing how that research will improve lives in the future.

Good Benefits, Metit Promotions Rare

There are great benefits offered at DOE. Promotions are based largely on seniority. The current administration drives company culture and climate. Can be politically driven.

Fun place to work- interesting topics- solar was just starting to come in existence. at the time.

I enjoyed working at the Department of Energy, unfortunately, this was a contract position so it was only for 1 1/2 years. The people at the Department of Energy are bright and very helpful.

DOE is the US governments prime science agency

DOE supports amazing science and provides real world solutions to many of the problems facing the country. Going to a meeting with more than one Nobel Prize winner in attendance occurs with some frequency.

Good

A veteran of the United States Navy and federal business professional possessing a unique combination of knowledge, experience and education in business management, healthcare technology management, information assurance and security, and program/project management. Extensive experience in providing quality customer service and managing stakeholder engagement in critical, high pressure situations to meet customer deadlines, expectations and objectives.

Great Job

Working someplace for over thirty five years really says it all. I was fortunate to receive the level of training and rank that I did. Would recommend this job to anyone who can pass the rigorous clearance check and continuous assessments conducted by the DOE.

Great learning experience

thin and zero clients/cloud based. VDI learning and experience while supporting customers. I was able to work with and support smartphones (blackberry's, Iphones, Samsungs and Motorola's) both with the user community and with console

Great place to work and earn excellent benefits

Spent 10 years supporting the OCIO customers and managing Email flow and messaging environments, Skype/Lync and collaboration. Federal and Project Management staff great to work with.

Pros

Team space, salary and benefits

Cons

lack of cutting edge technology. Knowledge bottleneck

Ask a question about working or interviewing at US Department of Energy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

75%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss