US Department of Homeland Security

US Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews

Found 4,039 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,072 reviews

US Department of Homeland Security insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Okay place to work

Not a bad job, scheduling can be a hassle because they have a schedule to fit you into, not you fitting them into your schedule. Pay is good for the area.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Scheduling

Everything you do becomes expected.

I you like recognition for going above and beyond, you will not find it here. Workers are expected to do the work of those in charge. This is a lazy organization.

Pros

Cons

Too many to list...

Productive and committed to protecting the airways

One thing I learn is to be a team. With out that our mission would not been accomplished! The most enjoyable part of the work was know that passenger made it safe to their final destination.

Good work life balance

I interned here a few years back and it seemed like the work/life balance was very fair. Everyone left by 5pm and some people had the option of taking every other Friday off.

Professional and productive work place.

I was honored to work there. Made a lot of friends. One big happy family work environment. I felt I was a loyal and trusted employee because of my great work ethics.

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Tsa

Great entry job. Vacation pay. Get paid bi weekly. Strict sick policy. Do your job and go home. Follow the rules and procedures to cover yourself. Dealing with rude passengers on the daily

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Morale

Good stewards. They use their resources wisely

Great place to work. Everyone's experience will be different and unique. Learn from and enjoy the experience. No further comment is available now.

Pros

Pay and Benefits

Cons

None that genuinely matter. Seize the opportunity

Good salary and work conditions. The bad, constant changes.

Very good Department. I really enjoyed work there and I will like to come back. The most stable is the constant change and process improvement. Many training to be sure the employee is prepared. Good salary and work conditions are the best things. The bad is, as Emergency employment, we need to confront many changes constantly and few positions are permanent

Was a good job until travel lockdown

Culture/management over-prioritizes diversity and inclusion at the expense of competence and personal initiative. This results in ridiculous overhead cost for the service we provide, which boils down to little more than facilitating the flow of recovery grant money to eligible communities. The process is supposed to be standardized yet every day brings more more complications and loopholes. That said, the job and compensation were good until Covid and the resulting travel lockdown. Remote work/customer service has taken away all the pleasure and added many headaches to the pile.

Pros

Decent Pay, Plenty of time off, Good Bennies

Cons

Too many incompetents, and supervisors don't dare criticize

Your not rewarded for working hard or having a College Degree like other Government Agencies.

Lazy people are promoted as well as minority status workers without any merit. High stress levels. Customer Service and Security don't match up well when trying to secure the safety of the public. They have a suggestion box but actually penalize you for offering suggestions by trying to make you quit your job.

Pros

prestigeous job title. Uniforms are provided. Openings for other Government agencies.

Cons

no dental insurance. Not fully recognized like Other Govt. Agencies for perks

Dhs-uscis

USCIS needs a complete overhaul of leadership starting at the top. The managers mismanage resources and treat employees badly. The union appears to be in bed with management and does the bare minimum to support employees. On most cases, the union advise employees to drop their case even when their are clear violations of the CBA. Leadership is aware of the hostile culture created by managers and refuse to address the issues.

Pros

Employment Stability

Cons

No work-life balance, hostile working environment, and no support from leadership or the union.

One of the worst jobs I’ve ever had in terms of human interaction.

You come in have to deal with entitled annoying people, then also have to deal with fellow employees who would love nothing more then to see you fail and help you get fired and snitch on you every chance they get.

Pros

Hard to think of any besides the benefits

Cons

Literally everything that makes a job cool

Good place to work with dedicated individuals. The mission is clear. Plenty of opportunities for on the job training and growth. Can be stressful at times, however, understandable due to the mission set.

DHS had great leadership

Leadership under the last administration had a clear set of objectives and goals. It was always a great place to go into work. Never left without having a sense of purpose.

Great team work

All employees work together, safely, abide by all work ethics, help each other to learn new training skils.assist in staging gobs to be completed, while maintaining safety.

Pros

Great lunches

Cons

Weekend are to short

Job security is good, but no work/life balance

It is a government job with good benefits, but everything is done by senority soo of you are ok with working any shift and not having weekends off for 5/6 years this is the perfect place for you. Promotions are given by popularity

Pros

Government job, good benefits

Cons

Popularity contest, terrible schedules for new employees

being a reservist

Being a reservist. This job is best for people who have recently retired and want to make a difference! You travel all over the world, you help people. The deployments are very unpredictable. Basically, a big storm hits the USA you work...if it does not hit you don't work. The deployments can be grueling. Expect to work 12 -16 hours a day, 7 days a week for at least 30 days during a major storm m. But don't let the hours scare you. The job will keep you so motivated that your second wind will kick in. Seriously, when someone comes back and says "thank you, I was ready to walk out but you calmed me down and I just got a check for 30k...."Yeah, moments like that will keep you going.

Pros

exciting

Cons

unpredictable

Very Productive and Energetic Work Area

I think the agency equipped me with all of the right tools, for me to be to successful with any challenges, faced in the future. The agency help build my skillset to what it is today. I have taken those skills, and apply them today, at my current place of employment.

Pros

Travel, compassionate colleagues, managers the encouraged skill growth.

Cons

Worked on a deployment status.

Enjoyed my time

It was interesting to say the least but I made many friends and saved a lot of money sometimes it was fun. I would have moved up if I would have stayed

Benefits

Cons

Worked holidays

Great place to work in

I loved my time at this company. Everyone is very kind and helpful and respectful. The only downside was that it was a temporary position that ended too soon. It was originally supposed to be a one year contract but it ended up being cut short to 3 months and a few weeks.

Pros

Training and great environment

Cons

Ended too soon

felt as if I was at high school

a lot of gossip and lazy people. Its a dead end job where room for growth depends on who you know. If you need a paycheck and nothing else then its the right job for you

Pros

pay check

Cons

short breaks gossip no room for growth

Ask a question about working or interviewing at US Department of Homeland Security. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.5K
1.2K

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss
  • US Department of Homeland Security
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?