US Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

I came in as a GS-01 and when i left i was a GS-05
Program Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 29, 2018
I did clerical work. file documents into a data base computer system. I did the officer pay roll. I answered all the phone lines in the office. I faxed, and copier paper work for the officer. I always helped my whole office out. I like working there. I worked at the loading dock.
Great place to learn
Aerospace Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 22, 2018
They do offer a competitive salary when compared to the industry for your experience level. Your job is to grade and evaluate industry's work, not to design, produce parts, or meet critical deadlines.

At times you may run into an executive or two who thinks they know more than you do and makes a point of it. In those situations understand that you are the authority and the buck stops with you not them. If you know your stuff and it shows, they will respect that. Everyone goes home happy because they get their airworthiness approval after hard work and you take pride in having worked their project and aided in the safety/certification of aircraft.

They will provide you all the training you need to do your job, although you might get assigned work early on and not have attended the required course yet at the academy. It was a good learning experience.
Pros
Excellent schedule while you are not traveling for work.
Cons
An 'old school' culture that has a hard time keeping up with new tech in the industry.
Department of Transportation
Transit Benefit Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 10, 2018
During my tenure at the Department of Transportation, I spent the majority of my time traveling. It allowed me the opportunity to experience cities I may not have experienced on my own.
Appreciation of teamwork and Mentoring a team.
Senior Contracts Specialist (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 27, 2018
I work on a team where shared knowledge is valued. With a varying backgrounds, mentoring the junior-level and middle-level Contract Specialists and even Contracting Officers are daily duties. Occasionally, Contracting Officer Representatives (COR) must be reminded of their delegation authorities, as to what is/is not their COR delegation authorities directing first to their delegation letters.

Daily, I try to see and find the value in everyone. Mostly, I try have the team and/or peers to see their own valued-added to projects that were positively re-shaped or pushed forward to completion.

There is a way to mentor, train, and educate a team and individual peers to be equipped, esteemed, and encouraged without them feeling put-upons or belittled. The outcome results can be win-wins.

A satisfied team or peer is the firm foundation which solid blocks are built.
Pros
Many people exercise teamship.
Cons
SOPs not fully in place.
Toxic environment
Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 2, 2018
Lots of people who work them system and are poor performers . Too many people rely on filing complaints to get out of doing work. They treat telework days as days off.
Pros
Some really nice people
Cons
Lots of backstabbing and political posturing
Very productive and talented people
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington Navy Yard, DCOctober 6, 2017
The workplace was high-paced and the people were very knowledgeable of subject matters. The employees created a sense of family at the same time remained professional.
Pros
creative and job advancements
Cons
needed more mentors to engage with the junior personnel.
Good.
OST/Human Resource Management (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 20590August 19, 2017
Well organized work environment. Competitive salary compacities. Great work environment. Friendly people, secured entry into the building and delicious choices of food at the cafeteria.
Great job and employeer
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Ft. Worth, TXAugust 17, 2017
Typical day was to ensure safety and seperation of aircrafts.

Hardest part of job was shift work and rotating days off

Depending on type of controller position (i.e. Tower or Enroute controller) training can take between 2 to 7 years. All pass/fail, if cannot pass training will be terminated from department
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
shift work and rotating days off
Great Team
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 20590August 5, 2017
Typical day is very fast-paced and different each day. The Culture is very friendly and easy to interact with coworkers. The most enjoyable part of this job to me is the unpredictability.
Productive atmosphere with a strong helpful team
IT Specialist Helpdesk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 20, 2017
Checking left over emails and unresolved tickets. Preparing tickets for all emails and calls resolving tickets remotely or at the desktop location.
I learned how to image computers and servers and balancing work flow.
Management was always quick to assist with any support information and resolutions.
The workplace culture was always functioning like a well oiled machine with the attitude we were all in it together.
The hardest part of the job was the SLA's were not always easy to maintain.
the most enjoyable part of the job was always learning new methods of resolving issues
Pros
Cooperative teamwork
Cons
Adjusting to new focus of different CEO's
US Department of Transportation
Senior Technical Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 7, 2017
Serve the United States by ensuring a fast, safe, efficient, accessible and convenient transportation system that meets our vital national interests and enhances the quality of life of the American people, today and into the future.
Friendly work environment
Volunteer Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 20, 2016
A typical day at DOT is very chill and quiet but full of tasks. I have learned a lot of things working under the printing director in the graphics department. He was very helpful and kind. He thought me a to of useful things too help advance my knowledge in graphic design. The most enjoyable part of that job was the recognition I received after completing important tasks.
Demanding but flexible place to work
Federal Highway Administration (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHNovember 1, 2016
I was the Financial Manager for the local Federal Highway Division Office for 18 years. Before that I worked as an auditor for the USDOT Inspector General Office. I retired early due to post operation brain tumor removal.
Pros
Flexibility ad benefits
Cons
Management indecisiveness
SharePoint Architect/Developer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 4, 2016
Us deprtmemt of transportation is a great place to work for developers and architects. Quite flexible and open to new ideas for learning and development
Good overall
FRONT END WEB DEVELOPER (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 2, 2015
I am happy with my DOT experience. I had great people to work with and learned lot of things. Great management. I am happy overall.
Pros
Metro Accessible
Cons
can be a little loud
Great job satisfaction, direct impact on the health and welfare of others
Safety Inspector (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2013
As an Operating Practice Safety Inspector, the majority of time was spent in the field doing direct observations of railroad employees to determine their level of compliance with Federal Regulations and Railroad Operating Rules. This provided direct impact to their personal and professional lives by raising their awareness of safety procedures in the work environment. Periodically I would conduct random audits of the railroad records for hours of service reporting, drug and alcohol testing, Engineer Certification, and accident/incident reporting. These audits insured proper reporting allowing myself and management the ability to track and identify trends of potential non-compliance and safety concerns in an effort to provide intervention prior to the occurrence of a critical event.
Good
Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Navy Yard. DCOctober 5, 2012
Good.It was a very good experience.
Peer staff was good.I got all support from my supervisor.
Pros
nothing specific
Cons
nothing specific