US Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Busy and Pleasant
Research Civil Engineer (Highway) (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAFebruary 5, 2019
I was with the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), which is one of many operating agencies of the USDOT. I was at the McLean, VA location in R&D. The environment is very pleasant there with free parking, though there's no Metro access.

The workplace environment was relaxed and business casual attire primarily with primarily cubicle type office style. There is a gym and plenty of outside space for walking with little traffic and noise.

There was a rapid change in the management over the last several years as people retired or moved on.

The hardest part of the job was keeping up with changing requirements in the acquisitions and publications departments.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the ability to influence direction of future highway technology.
Pros
Free parking, beautiful campus
Cons
No food within walking distance. No Metro access. Distance from USDOT HQ.
Bad Management
DOCKET COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 1, 2019
Typical day at work is ok. Just bad management here. I need more job growth and more security. The hardest part of the job is dealing with people who dont know the job, including managers
Pros
Money is ok
Cons
Bad Management in Offic
great place to work
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 10, 2019
great working environment, train junior analyst, review financial statements of the borrowers, serve internal and external customers, good training program
Pros
pleasent working environment
Cons
too far from my residence
Declining from what use to be an exceptional workplace.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 20, 2018
Upper management continues to implement changes that cause hardships on employees. Employees jumping around on details to much and don’t become efficient or thourough in their actual job assignment. Thus causing poor quality work and downstream problems in projects.
management and workplace culture
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 19, 2018
flexible and integrated management and workplace culture. Ability to work independently and develop managerial and leadership skills. Very flexible work schedule, long hours. Able to telework several times a week. Workplace culture was very inclusive.
I came in as a GS-01 and when i left i was a GS-05
Program Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 29, 2018
I did clerical work. file documents into a data base computer system. I did the officer pay roll. I answered all the phone lines in the office. I faxed, and copier paper work for the officer. I always helped my whole office out. I like working there. I worked at the loading dock.
Great place to learn
Aerospace Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 22, 2018
They do offer a competitive salary when compared to the industry for your experience level. Your job is to grade and evaluate industry's work, not to design, produce parts, or meet critical deadlines.

At times you may run into an executive or two who thinks they know more than you do and makes a point of it. In those situations understand that you are the authority and the buck stops with you not them. If you know your stuff and it shows, they will respect that. Everyone goes home happy because they get their airworthiness approval after hard work and you take pride in having worked their project and aided in the safety/certification of aircraft.

They will provide you all the training you need to do your job, although you might get assigned work early on and not have attended the required course yet at the academy. It was a good learning experience.
Pros
Excellent schedule while you are not traveling for work.
Cons
An 'old school' culture that has a hard time keeping up with new tech in the industry.
fast paced but relaxed work environment
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 14, 2018
I worked in data entry and data management which required excellent time management skills, organization skills and attention to details which can be a bit overwhelming at times but in a work environment where you have the support of the entire department it make your work life alot easier. Everyone is willing to help each other and are always friendly.
Department of Transportation
Transit Benefit Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 10, 2018
During my tenure at the Department of Transportation, I spent the majority of my time traveling. It allowed me the opportunity to experience cities I may not have experienced on my own.
To dangerous for fun and games.
Border Inspector (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXAugust 8, 2018
From start to finish, all we did was inspect commercial trucks. The inspection was done in order to keep the USA highway safe from commercial trucks that did not pass our inpections. The best part of this job was the training out of town.
Pros
free breakfast
Cons
healthcare
Structures drivem for younger Degreed perso ell
Motor pool supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tifton, GAAugust 7, 2018
The department is looking for more young degreed personnel to take o the next phase at GDot .it give set hours and you earn leave by the pay period off on weekends and most all holidays
Good
Senior Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 1, 2018
It was good to work there. I liked it. I had fun and would work there again. I love this company because it was a stable environment to work for with no trouble.
Fun workplace
Senior Contract Specialist (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 5, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working at DOT. I was in a group with other contractors and it made work more fun and bearable. I learned a lot from those I worked with.
Appreciation of teamwork and Mentoring a team.
Senior Contracts Specialist (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 27, 2018
I work on a team where shared knowledge is valued. With a varying backgrounds, mentoring the junior-level and middle-level Contract Specialists and even Contracting Officers are daily duties. Occasionally, Contracting Officer Representatives (COR) must be reminded of their delegation authorities, as to what is/is not their COR delegation authorities directing first to their delegation letters.

Daily, I try to see and find the value in everyone. Mostly, I try have the team and/or peers to see their own valued-added to projects that were positively re-shaped or pushed forward to completion.

There is a way to mentor, train, and educate a team and individual peers to be equipped, esteemed, and encouraged without them feeling put-upons or belittled. The outcome results can be win-wins.

A satisfied team or peer is the firm foundation which solid blocks are built.
Pros
Many people exercise teamship.
Cons
SOPs not fully in place.
Toxic environment
Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 2, 2018
Lots of people who work them system and are poor performers . Too many people rely on filing complaints to get out of doing work. They treat telework days as days off.
Pros
Some really nice people
Cons
Lots of backstabbing and political posturing
Productive and quick paced working abilities
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 16, 2018
The building was very secured with security which meant that I felt very safe. Some coworkers were friendly and took me out for lunch during lunch breaks. My supervisor placed me with a mentors who worked in the PHMSA Agency and I disapproved.
Pros
Some coworkers were welcoming
Cons
Paid for lunch
Nice place to work - Little advancement to management
Office of Planning and Environment (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCFebruary 8, 2018
The Department of Transportation is a great place to work but there is a challenge when you want to move to the management level. The positions are few throughout the entire agency.
Very productive and talented people
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington Navy Yard, DCOctober 6, 2017
The workplace was high-paced and the people were very knowledgeable of subject matters. The employees created a sense of family at the same time remained professional.
Pros
creative and job advancements
Cons
needed more mentors to engage with the junior personnel.
Job stability
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 29, 2017
Bottom line if your manager sucks you will hate it there. Other than that it is a good place to work. Long jevity, can move up the ladder quickly if you pick the right field to work in.
Pros
Metro accessible
Cons
Parking SUCKS
Writing and Policy Centered
Chemist 1320, GS (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 26, 2017
Great place to work for non-technical persons. Technical positions are constantly struggling between industry stakeholders and agency executives to get the facts out. Day-to-day work is meaningful, change rarely comes from the desk though. The front office has a vision, it will be successful, but there is little voice or influence from the technical office. This is a fault on both sides of the agency (technical/non-techncial).
Pros
Gym on site, retirement savings, telework, augmented work schedules
Cons
Lack of advancement for technical staff.