US Department of the Interior logo
US Department of the Interior
Happiness rating is 76 out of 100Above average

US Department of the Interior Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location.
Not your desired location?Choose a different one

Found 36 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,054 reviews

Compassionate and professional orgsnization

The management really care about their employee's well being and professional advancement. Team building, training and career assistance are available for the asking. Work life balance is important as well.

Pros

Team spirit, work life balance

Cons

good

Open to all qualified U.S. citizens as well as individuals eligible for noncompetitive hiring authorities such as those that apply to veterans, individuals with disabilities, military spouses, Peace Corp volunteers, etc.

Only the least competant are promoted

The management is full of the stupidest people you can imagine and the competent employees are not promoted since the whole thing would fall apart if they weren't there to do everyone's job.

Qualified people are overlook by management

Management hires people backs on likeability and loyalty to them. This puts people who are kin to each other or friends that end up being hired with no skills at all. Supervisors are putting Park Service back into a decaying place and twenty twenty advancement of good place work for our students whose parents can't afford college towostudentpparenstudenwhose pparents can't afford college send to college ccparents can't se

I love my job

I love my job. I love working for my agency and organization. I don't particularly want to write more and don't think I should have to. So I will keep writing until I can submit it.

Pros

Flexible work environment

Cons

Furlough

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Very laid back place to work

Excellent work-life balance worked with me being a mom pretty good work culture a good place to work if you have a family works with you and your personal life

Pros

very accommodating

Cons

not a lot of advancement

Okay place to work

I worked at the National Park Service from 2014 to 2015 in the Reston office. It was one of my favorite places to work in the sense that it's more laid back than other government agencies I've had experiences with. They are also very telework friendly, which helps with work-life balance. The only thing I didn't care for was that training is robust and you don't really have much of a learning curve on the job. If they improved their SOPs and training opportunities to be more intimate and/or detailed, it would get rid of a lot of the confusion behind the work.

Pros

Laid back, work-life balance, telework, flexible, friendly people

Cons

Lack of training and SOPs

Working Department of Interior afford me the opportunity to learn new technology. Work with very energetic staff and compelled me to push more. Pleasant work place

It was avery good job to have

I got to learn a lot working for yhe national park services and driving different motor vehicles cutting grass,learning how to use the computer,and being agressive,and curtious to the public,and more

Pros

Good experience

Cons

Just try to be at work everyday

Fun and interesting place to work

Mostly enjoyable with mostly enjoyable people. Same as most places I would imagine. Many of the sites are nice venues and the work is interesting. In particular, Wolf Trap National Park was a great experience and though stressful at times, there were few boring or uninteresting days.

Pros

Outdoors, interesting places and people

Cons

somewhat stressful

fun place to work great people

One of the best places I have ever worked for during my days working for the government. Would have loved to stayed there except for my husbands transfer with the military.

A great start

A great start to work for a conservation agency. They ultimately care about the work and are very creative in getting it done. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with people who are passionate about their work.

See comments below

Most of my co-workers have the same values as I. We work efficiently and effectively. I go through my stack of projects that are labeled by priorities and work my way to completion throughout the day. There are other projects that come up during the day and the work load is adjusted

Pros

Closure & satisfaction of daily workload

Cons

No salary increase

A real people person. Good with the public. Safety Awareness Always.

Have always had a good attitude. I am ready to work extra hours if needed. I am neat and work well with others. Very ambitious and ready to learn new things.

Pros

N/a

Cons

N/a

A good option with good pay, benefits and advancement options

DOI can be a great place to work with a good salary, good work/life balance and promotion opportunities. Most employees are dedicated civil servants that are committed to fulfilling the mission of their bureaus and working with the public in a professional manner.

Pros

Good pay and promotion options

Cons

Current budget climate is uncertain

not as easy as most think

Working for the National Park Service is fun fufilling, rewarding, and quite difficult. When being a member of the government you have to abide by specific regulations that could severely impact interactions with the public if not taken seriously. The job is fun, engaging, and worth it in so many ways, however it is not as easy as most people think.

Pros

unique opportunities, beautiful scenery, great atmosphere

Cons

hard to get involved with, lots of regulations

Work schedule flexibility, pleasant teamworking environment

Typical day at work: Performing administrative duties with pleasant team members and highly supportive management. What you learned: Gained experience performing Administrative Technician, Secretary and Office Manager duties. Workplace culture: Pleasant, harmonic, relaxed home away from home environment.. Management: Highly supportive and met with employees for annual updates on career development The hardest part of the job: 1.5 hours one-way commute The most enjoyable part of the job: Gained excellent experience, pleasant team members and management.

Pros

Pleasat work enviroment, excellent mgmt and team members

Learning the Fundamentals

A place to learn the fundamentals for advancement. I was able to learn many techniques in my first office setting. I got the opportunity to work my way in different division as well. This was a great way to work with different people and have a better understanding of my bureau.

Learning Curves and Excellent Learning Experience

While I was working in Department of the Interior (DOI), Office of Inspector General, we always had new learning curves and changes consistently. We worked as a team in the office environment and always a learning curve of things to transpire. I love my tenure when I worked for DOI. Most jobs I had was always something of a learning experience and great when the workplace was working together getting the job done.

Productive and fun work enviornment

Typical day of wok at the Bureau was incredibly organized and structured to enable a smooth workflow. Learned about some federal procedures at a GS-4 level and managing shipments. Management was welcoming and made me feel like part of a family Coworkers were relaxed yet diligent Hardest part of the job was overflow of work due to high shipment volume Most enjoyable pa of the job was hanging around awesome coworkers who made the job feel less stressful

A great learning experience!

I only worked with the NPS for a summer. The entire summer was full of fun and learning experiences. They had a lot of things for us to do on the weekends when we weren't working such as traveling to different parks, learning about the NPS, going to DC, among other exciting experiences. I would love to work for them again.

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at US Department of the Interior. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at US Department of the Interior.
Powered byComparably