US Department of the Interior Employee Reviews

Lack of integrity amongst superiors
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 25, 2018
Management is of poor integrity they will make mistakes and blame the lowest people on the totem pole. The hiring process is long because they require a security clearance and even if you already possess a DoD clearance they will not use it. I had insurance benefits taken out of every pay check but never received cards even after contacting the necessary departments. They will lose documents that you give them and act like you failed to prove your reservist obligations. Your lunch break will begin as soon as your relief comes to the checkpoint not accounting for the five minute walk to the break room. You will be abused by visitors and staff and unless you have a spouse in HR you will be reprimanded and treated like trash. Your fellow employees will also see these behaviors but they will not speak up for fear of reprisal. Most employees have resigned due to poor treatment.
Cons
Shortened break time, hazardous work conditions, poor Human Resources relations, workplace politics
Beautiful work environment.
Zion National Park - Maintenance worker (Trails) (Former Employee) –  Springdale, UTNovember 10, 2018
A typical day at Zion National Park on the trail crew usually involved a 1-2 hour hike to the work site with all tools/material/machinery. This could easily be 75 - 100 lb packs. The work was hard but very fulfilling. The crew leaders were fantastic at understanding and fully explaining what exactly we were to be doing on each project. The most enjoyable part of the job was the ability to be outside in the mountains all day.
Pros
Beautiful work environment, wonderful employees, good pay, good benefits
Cons
Had to commute 40 minutes.
The salary and benefits are great...if you find a permanent position
Records Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 6, 2018
The government is a great place to get the work you need to pay the bills, but only if you have a permanent position. Most of the people I worked under were living on renewed term positions that they had to go through a lot to renew at all. They all have families and some even worked with spouses in the same position. They all worked on passion alone, and if you find your niche, it is SO FUN. You may work in your field, but there is no guarantee that you will in 2 years. What's worse is that the government has no plans on filling the thousands of positions that are open. Some on technicalities like a person with a 15 year tenure has to do the job of their unfilled superior's position, but when they apply to have the salary match the work, they are denied because they don't have a degree. There are variations of that all around. Lot's of GS 9s doing GS 14 jobs as well as their own.
Pros
You work in your field!
Cons
Highly unlikely that you find a permanent position.
NPS.: a great job that doesn't last.
Adminstrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West Glacier, MTNovember 10, 2018
70 percent of the national park service's workforce is seasonal. The work is important and gratifying. But it doesn't last. Recently, new regulations have made it difficult to work these seasonal jobs year out--traveling from one park to another--without losing rehire status. Since most seasonal jobs are less than 6 months, unemplyment benefits is not an option.
Pros
Grest people, besutiful places.
Cons
No job or financial security.
na
IT Specialist (Network) (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 17, 2018
No overtime is allowed.

I have learned that management can lie to manipulate others.

Workplace culture is not the best I have seen.

The hardest part of the job is knowing who to trust.
Pros
medical benefits, job security
Cons
management can tend to lie
Not really US Department of the Interior, but SAIC the contracting company
Windows Server Administrator (Former Employee) –  Denver Federal CenterJune 15, 2018
SAIC contracting company is fine if you expect nothing but a static work environment. Minimal salary increases. Pathetic review process. Minimal involvement from management. They will also adjust your position title in order to center you in the pay scale and minimize pay increases.
Pros
Government contract work is fairly stable.
Cons
SAIC does salary bait and switch after 6mo temp and SAIC contract. Lip service from SAIC management, but no support.
Good Internship
Geoscientist-in-the-Park Paleontology Intern (Former Employee) –  Sulphur, OKNovember 1, 2018
I did a summer internship with NPS and while the pay was low, working full-time it was a livable salary for the few months. The supervisors were involved and interesting in your learning about not only your job, but the history and importance of the National Park Service. It was a fun environment to work in.
An awesome place to work.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COAugust 25, 2018
NPS is an awesomely great place to work everyone is friendly and curious to you.
The benefits are top notch.
The only drew back about working at NPS is the leadership p, they are set in their ways and don’t want to lessen to new ideas.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Leadership and or management
Great working conditions and ample parking.
Production Accountability Technician (Former Employee) –  Federal Center in Lakewood, ColoradoApril 15, 2018
My employment with the Federal Government was very professional and rewarding. My employment was with the Bureau of Land Management for a three year term. My co-workers at the Bureau have remained close associates and frriends.

My employment with oil and gas companys and Continental/United airlines has awarded me with unlimited knowledge of airline activity and invaluable close freinds.

My employment has been rewarding in many ways including health benefits for my family as my sons matured into very successful young men with amazing families of their own.
Pros
Growth and opportunity
Good Place to Work
Legal Assistant/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 10, 2018
Salary is fair, benefits are excellent. Family friendly, flex-time, comp-time and training is offered to everyone. Employees are treated equally and annual bonuses and time-off awards are given annually to all employees.
Pros
Good Salary, Benefits
Excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 29, 2018
This is a excellent place to work an my supervisor is the awesome I'm looking for a permanent position with benefits an leave. If I wasn't a contractor I wouldn't want to work anywhere else.
Seasonal Wildland Fire Fighting
Firefighter Forestry (Former Employee) –  Browning, MTNovember 14, 2018
Hard labor, lots of hiking, and opportunity to meet new people and make a real difference. It was temporary work so there was no medical benefits. I would do it again however.
Poor Career Ladder
Property & Procurement Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 18, 2018
Generally promotion positions were pre-selected, favoritism was the word of the day; I found it to be race-based. To advance you would need to relocate at your expense. The work was not stressful; sometimes managers would go into panic mode to please upper management. Opportunities for "detail" work were fulfilling and interesting - allowed you to grow and "shine" but I found someone was pre-selected to fill the position after you cleaned it up.
Pros
Meaningful work when you could "own" it, farily good immediate manager support.
Cons
Pre-selection, politics within the organization
Working at NPS
I.T. Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COJune 24, 2018
You work for NPS because you believe in the values. The benefits are good for permanent positions but may otherwise not be good for contracted work in terms of benefits and pay. People really love working for NPS. The values and mission alone is enough to stay regardless of pay.
Pros
mission, time off, flexible schedule
Cons
pay, takes longer to get things done (even hired)
I loved my job, but not the manager
Interpretive National Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Stanton, NDJune 3, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed being an interpretive National Park Ranger. It was a rewarding job, only very poorly managed. Poor management is the only reason I left the job.
Pros
Get to work outside, good income
Cons
poor management, no benefits or advancement
Quality working environment
Minerals Management Service (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20240November 15, 2018
The Department of the Interior is an excellent place to work, it was a wonderful job and there were many unique opportunities. It is a place I would have gladly spent the rest of my working career, but my last job was with Minerals Management (a unit that no longer exists). Unfortunately the manager of this unit was extremely unhelpful and lacking in any abilities to provide useful or needed guidance. Additionally since leaving I've learned there were some unacceptable and controversial practices being followed in relationship to public and private activities that were directly in violation of government ethics. Prior to this position I worked at BLM and it was an excellent position, but only ended due to position being TERM.
Pros
working environment
Cons
management
Overall, I enjoy working at the Bureau of Land Management
LAND SURVEYOR (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 4, 2018
Having been born and raised in Southern Nevada, my reason for leaving is to relocate closer to family and friends. All things being equal, I have enjoyed my time with the Bureau.
Pros
Flexible schedule with working remotely
Cons
Inflexible rules
Good for learning
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COJuly 3, 2018
They offered me a rotation program throughout all the roles in accounting to be able to learn since I am a new college graduate. This way I can learn accounts receivable, payable, real property, labor and auditing.
Pros
benefits, flexibility, work remotely
Cons
hourly, lower pay, government rules
Great place for students
Student Hydrologist (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TX 76115August 1, 2018
They are very flexible and supportive of their students. The compensation once you graduate is not great, but it is a relaxed and happy work environment for the most part.
Okay place to work
Records Officer (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAOctober 17, 2018
I worked at the National Park Service from 2014 to 2015 in the Reston office. It was one of my favorite places to work in the sense that it's more laid back than other government agencies I've had experiences with. They are also very telework friendly, which helps with work-life balance. The only thing I didn't care for was that training is robust and you don't really have much of a learning curve on the job. If they improved their SOPs and training opportunities to be more intimate and/or detailed, it would get rid of a lot of the confusion behind the work.
Pros
Laid back, work-life balance, telework, flexible, friendly people
Cons
Lack of training and SOPs