US Department of the Interior

United States1,068 reviews

Found 1,068 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,083 reviews
doinationalblminteriorgovernmentlandnpfederal

Compassionate and professional orgsnization

The management really care about their employee's well being and professional advancement. Team building, training and career assistance are available for the asking. Work life balance is important as well.

Pros

Team spirit, work life balance

Satisfying

Hang in there and it pays off. Good benefits overall. The leadership needs a refresh. More professionalism would be an improvement. Too much of a insider game

Benefits

Cons

Little fifedoms

US Department of the Interior insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things

Take your time, do it right. Avoid the nonsense.

Some of the most talented crafts persons I have ever worked with. If you appreciate Historic structures you'll be thrilled. Unfortunately there are some people there who are of little use but keep attention on YOUR goals and it will be fine.

I loved the job and the people. But it was only 6 months during the summer. I would still be there if it was full time. Being a parent i couldn't do 6 months on and 6 months off.

Pros

Outdoors, fun, amazing people

Cons

Summer job.

Decent work okay pay

Takes time to learn all the ins and out for the position but once you do it is an okay job. Pay is okay, never had to eat dog food or anything but not enough to be rolling with the swag.

The U.S. BLM is a good place to work for a professional

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM), U.S. Dept. of the Interior, manages some difficult and sometimes conflicting natural resource issues. The work environment was sometimes stressful due to the need to coordinate issues involving multiple resources. As a former employee, I remain loyal to the organization, and I would work there again.

Pros

Strong Professionalism in the Federal Civil Service

Cons

Sometimes stressful work environment due to reource conflicts

It’s okay

If you want to stay BIA long term then it’s great. If you want to move around government agencies then be aware that working for the BIA will put you behind everyone else because they do things very differently and not up to standard of the other agencies.

Fun job beach Oceanside views maintaing the Park in clean status beach raking and Bathroom Sparkiling clean. Daily Waste removal Campsite Groundskeeper

Pros

Free lunch, beach with NYC views

Visitor Use Assistant Review

Fun job in a beautiful setting. Great coworkers and usually great visitors as well. Interacting with folks who were genuinely interested in learning about the area or experiencing it to the best of their abilities was always great. Management was great all around in both divisions I worked for. They cared, listened, and were for the most part accommodating if any issues arose in your work or personal life.Pay was very low as a VUA and getting on in a permanent roll can be extremely difficult and was ultimately the reason why I left for maintenance in the NPS and eventually NPS/DOI entirely.

Pros

Being inside a park everyday. Educating and helping others enjoy their trip to the park.

Cons

Extremely low wages for how much you put in and having a college degree

The mission of the bureau and the dedication of it's employees. I worked there for 34 years and I'm proud of every moment.

After six years at Texas Parks & Wildlife, the transition to DOI-NPS was exciting. I was welcomed into a group of dedicated employees who enjoyed their work and realized the importance of their contributions. In my 34 years, I worked in five states with new and familiar NPS people all working towards a common objective important to our nation and the American people.

The uniqueness of the agency

I love working for BLM, good pay, separate sick days and annual leave accrues, not all one lump, you can learn different positions that you may be interested in.

Perpetual understaffing

Work overload. High stress. Indifferent and condescending management. Often highly critical and humiliating. HR is useless. Multiple managers. Very political. Not much positive.

Pros

Overtime pay, hybrid work from home

Cons

Understaffed. Bad management.

Great people and work environment

Great people sand work environment. Positive attitudes and worked outdoors in the woods and mountains. Great on the job training opportunities. Opportunities for promotion

Pros

Physical labor

Cons

Low pay

Exciting , fun, fast paced and educational!

This is by far my favorite job I've ever had unfortunately you can't do it past the age of 18 since it's more geared toward the 16-17 year Olds to teach them work ethic and also get Youth into the national park while also earning a very reasonable wage! I've learned so so much there. Itade me so much more involved in the world around me and thought me how to work hard to do what seems impossible! It gave me a huge sense of community and will always be something that makes me smile thinking about! It's definitely not easy work but it brought all of us so close together but the end of the Seasonal period I highly recommend this to any young adults ages 16 to 18 its an amazing summer job and will make you rethink the world and jobs around you! Highly recommend! They even help you make a government resume! They teach you so much mote then just about the animals and forest and conservation. The teach toy about how to build a future for yourself!

Opportunity to make a difference!

With support and resources the amount of difference that can be made is limitless! Surrounded by a talent team of professional, with a shared focus to protect the cultural and natural resources within our park service. I am glad to be a part of the National Park Service!

Pros

Opportunity to travel and engage with senior leaders and park employees.

Cons

Limited resources to be successful in the mission.

people are amazing. Job itself is not worth it

at intergrow you meet vast amount of people from different countries per them hiring agriculture students around the world. the work is very laboring and you will get dirty. While there is incentive with peace wages, management likes to not appropriately compensate due to one reason or another. I would give 4.5 stars for the people alone, but you are often fighting to meet managements weekly goals while piling yourself with stress to do the work assigned to you. granted you will receive help if unable to complete said assignments but not before being pressured about productivity.

Your a special operations fire fighter. Training to be a type 1 hotshot. So if your not prepared physically and mentally. This jobs not for you.

This was by far one of the toughest things I’ve ever done in my life! I was 31 when I went through the North Star program. I had no idea what I had signed up for once I got there. It’s was military style training and worse. I hated and loved every minute of it. I was doing our last run for 8miles. And got a type 3 tare in my hamstring. I was super upset trying to fight back tears of losing what I had fought so hard. Cause if you fail certain evaluations your dropped and it’s go home time! I was the first one called in durning selection. And after hearing the good news I made the crew! I then got in trouble kinda for wearing a hat other then my crew hat. So about 50 push ups later, I was off the wall excited. And fire season came and it was show time. Nothing but good things to say about North Star fire crew. Amazing experience!!!

Decades of under funding and a balkanized organization structure has led to poorly qualified and over compensated middle and upper management.

Decades of under funding and a balkanized organization structure has led to poorly qualified and over compensated middle and upper management to lead through cronyism and favoritism while experienced GS-5 through GS-9 languish at the lowest possible pay scales and at conditional status year after year even as freshly minted college grads rise quickly through the ranks with little or no skills and are given permanent employment status over more experienced and senior staff.

Pros

Working with the public and helping them understand and interpret America's natural, cultural, social, economic, political, and military history from the past through to the present.

Cons

Low pay and poor pay advancement within pay grade.

It's a federal job, so the pay isn't top notch but the benefits and security are.

This is probably the greatest job I have ever had. Coming from some less "employee friendly" private company jobs, the culture within the government is totally different. They ask employees how they are doing, what they want, where do they want to go in their career, etc is amazing! That isn't to say that all of the managers are great, they aren't - some are awful. But, there are tons of government jobs to move around to. Just be flexible on your location.

Smothering bureaucracy focused on blame

To fit in well at DOI you must not have any personal work ethic. If you outperform your peers you will be punished with additional work. They will call you at home demanding free work when you are on leave or ill. At the management level every one is in charge but no one is responsible. Policies and directives are usually vague enough to be meaningless. But when projects inevitably fail, they make sure the blame rolls downhill to those who actually worked the hardest. But it is a great place for posers and slackers.

Good benefits and steady pay

There is opportunity across the country with the park service. The pay is reliable and the benefits are great. The rotating schedule and shift work including weekends is a bad spot.

Common questions about US Department of the Interior

Answered by current and former employees at US Department of the Interior

Ask a question about working or interviewing at US Department of the Interior. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at US Department of the Interior.
Powered byComparably