US Department of the Treasury Employee Reviews

Could be much better.
Economist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 5, 2019
Treasury could be a much better place to work than it is.
Management doesn't often recognize the talent among staff members.
Recently some very poor managers left. That may be a good sign.
Poor Management
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 5, 2019
Rewarding work but the downfall is the non-effective leadership from the SES ranks. You will have to take solace that you are working for the American public.
Engaging and Fulfilling Work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 27, 2019
Often got to work on sensitive and important work for my supervisors and got the chance to present some of my findings to much higher officials. I was amazed by the level of professionalism and encouragement from all those in my office.
Horrible Place. Scary.
Government Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 18, 2019
Horrible place to work. Unfriendly in general and very hostile to Veterans, especially if you're a man. They will screw up your career if you let them. STAY AWAY.

You have been warned!
fun place to work
Metal Forming Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  West Point, NYJune 20, 2019
was a temporary job not to exceed 12 months. learned a lot in my short time there and meant lots of people so of which i am still great friends with today.
Pros
government status
Cons
if you are temp you have to apply for permenant positions as they open up
Productive work place
Mail clerk (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 20, 2019
Fast paced, heavy volume of work. Supportive management. Not much potential for growth and advancement. Enjoyed co workers very helpful and team oriented.
Fall and Spring intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 6, 2019
I loved my time here! You'll run through the day-to-day stuff fairly quickly (filing certain reports, transcripts, etc.) but then you'll get tacked on to some really great projects. Make sure to grab coffee with as many people as you can when you're there! It's a great networking opportunity.
Pros
you're in the thick of it
Cons
you're in the thick of it
Collaborative
Contract Representative, Internal Revenue Service (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 6, 2019
Good solid Instructors but time limited ; some GREAT people and most seem unfriendly to Veterans.

As a veteran, we were not given respect nor dignity afforded plus there was envy alot.

In fact, we discriminated and not accorded access to IT acces needed at times unless you were "Special"
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Unfriendly to veterans
Awesome job!
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 3, 2019
Perfect dream job! Job was so good that I promoted out of it. Beautiful view of cherry blossums. I only left for higher government job. Staff there was fantastic.
Pros
Interesting and meaningful work
Cons
no parking, not many places for lunch there
Working for the goverment has been a rewarding and satisfying career.
1040X Tax Examiner, Mail Room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MO 64108May 21, 2019
Working for the government has been a rewarding and satisfying career. I enjoyed working for the federal goverment I had lots od oppertunities for advancements and to improve myself.
Pros
Good pay and oppertunity for advancement
Cons
sometimes fellow employees
Clueless
Sign Language Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 20, 2019
It's really sad that the people in charge of EEO, RAC, and Disability Services had no idea what they were doing.

The people in charge of interpreters had no idea what it was that we did, the significance of our work, or how to manage us.
Pros
Naps
Cons
not bad for the right person, not great for anyone
Revenue Officer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 15, 2019
there are a lot of good things about working for the government. They continually improve in pay overtime often outpacing the equivalent private sector job in the long term (10 plus years). However, with budget cuts and the IRS being a political football that everyone loves to punt in the past decade it has become a parody of it's former self. Morale is in the pits. Safety is a huge issue that is largely ignored. I had to deal with a case of arson across the hallway from my desk due to an upset taxpayer, we didn't even have cameras to catch who did it. There have been dozens of 'de-minimus' work load changes over the past 5 years which have accumulated into a huge amount of work that isn't accounted for in goals and deadlines. With the restrictions and legal liabilities that come with the job, the stigma, the lack of agility due to congress created and ill maintained laws.... the IRS could be a great place to work, but until the political winds change I would avoid if at all possible.
Terrible Manager
Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVApril 5, 2019
I was placed under an interim manager. He was absolutely one of the worst managers I have ever worked for. When the position he was holding was to be opened for hire, I was the top candidate for the job, which made his efforts to get me to leave that much more important. Not wanting to be associated with that environment, I re-enlisted in the Army. Best decision I have made in my career.
Taking people money
Nunyah (Former Employee) –  NunyahApril 2, 2019
Get a lawyer or an attorney if they come for your money because they're just as crooked as the people who's claiming that you owe them. Leave people on hold forever...then pick up and hang up in they're faces. Just low down.
Great Place to Work
Service Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 21, 2019
I was a contractor at the Dept. of Treasury. It is a very nice place to work because the co-workers are nice people. And the Federal employees are personable and kind.
Highly controlled work environment
Tax Examining Technician (Former Employee) –  Andover, MAMarch 14, 2019
most of the work is performed under very strict guidelines, not much room for creativity. Highly restrictive work environment, high lever of data/information security
Pros
good perks and benefits
Cons
no room for creativity
Great job
Intern, Office of Project Management (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDFebruary 19, 2019
Great job with awesome co workers and plenty of opportunity to grow and advance. I love the time I spent a scan intern itbeasca delightful and productive exoeruence.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Boring
Busy and fun place to work
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 10, 2019
A typical day at work for me was: ensuring my employees arrived to work and signed onto the system timely, schedule leave, write evaluative reviews, monitor incoming calls for accuracy and courteous interactions, discussions with employees on improving in their job, employee counseling, handling elevated calls, handled suicide threat calls, created work schedules/leave schedules/break/lunch schedules attend Managerial meetings, conduct team meetings, work with Union Officials to resolve issues and instruct new hire classes.
Pros
Benefits, vacations
Cons
fast-paced, non-stop work situations
Management hinders costumer sevice
Small Business Tax Examiner (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 6, 2019
Providing excellent customer service was what drove our department. The taxpayer's rights and needs were always our focus. We were ultimately understaffed which made the job much more stressful than it needed to be.
US Treasury Department
Senior Advisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 5, 2019
Working at the Treasury Department was a terrific learning experience. The staff was brilliant and the issues that we addressed were exciting and meaningful.
Pros
Working alongside the brightest and best.
Cons
my direct boss was not the best.