US Legislative Branch

US Legislative Branch Employee Reviews

United States74 reviews
There are few places Imaginable that are more conducive to growth and learning. My experience was pleasant yet challenging and I feel that I grew through the work environment.
All three of my internships with the Legislative Branch allowed me to see great bouts of personal growth while obtaining my degree in Communications.
These positions helped strengthened my background in researching, drafting, editing, and gathering support for various legislative issues and bills.

My favorite aspect of all three of my internships so far has been any task that involved working directly with constituents and being able to talk with the people. This includes answering phone calls, reporting concerns, giving tours of the Capitol, attending events, and conducting surveys.

The most difficult part was simply getting adjusted to all of the regulations and personally working through any nervousness surrounding executing them properly.

Management was always incredible and I've been able to remain in contact with all of the staff leaders I worked with.
We need people who are wiling to sacrifice to make this country better.
Public service can't be outsourced. Working with constituents is immensely rewarding.
Congress is a place where the ability to adapt multiple times throughout the day is crucial. The fast paced, long hour, & continual barge of information allows everyone an opportunity to succeed & fail.
I enjoyed working with the senate pages. We spent a lot of our time doing errands for legislative members and congress men/women.Errands included coffee runs, lunch delivery and mail delivery. We also took notes for meetings and opened for bill discussions as a flag bearer. Paging was a amazing experience.
Pros
Meeting other teens, understanding what having a 9-5 job is, working as a community.
Cons
no cons
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Just an excellent experience. It is difficult to describe a typical day because each day builds upon, or expands, from the previous day. Very rewarding experience and great for the resume.
Loved being actively involved with the legislative process and love working with the Senate staff for five solid years. Would not change a thing!Love the Commonwealth of Kentucky
The Legislative Research Commission was a great place to intern. It helped me gain a more well-rounded understanding of the legislative process and it was very rewarding to have you hard work pay-off in the form of legislation.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Long, stressful working conditions
My experience working as an intern at Senator Nelson’s office was unbelievable and very successful in terms of workplace and experience with a Senator.
Pros
All Pros, made Intern contacts personal friends
Cons
No Cons
I had so much fun working for LOC it was a great, drama free, collaborative work experience! i enjoyed going to work everyday and would have stayed if i was given the opportunity!
I very glad I did this internship, I gained a lot of insight and knowledge about the political world. However, I realized I didn't see this as a future career path for me. Worked with some great people
It is an incredible opportunity to work for the US Legislative Branch.
Learning about the process of how everything works was an amazing opportunity.
Pros
Learning from brilliant people, being apart of history, making a difference in our nation
Cons
Don't have much to say... I was an intern at the US Congress working for a FL Congressman. Super cool internship... great way to spend a college summer if you want the experience.
Working as district staff for any member of congress is challenging. You are the local representative for that office, and as such you will be bombarded on a daily basis with meetings, phone calls, and casework. Based upon my personal experiences I would say you can expect to work 50 hour work weeks, on average. There is little time for your own pursuits/interests, as servicing the office and community takes most of your time. If you're working for a good member of congress than the work may seem pleasurable despite tremendous personal sacrifice, but if the member you work for isn't so nice then the work will seem extremely difficult and challenging
Here I describe a typical day at work, talk about what I learned, different management stuff, and workplace culture. The hardest part of my job is also supposed to be included.
Public service is a typical day at work. I'm supposed to write what I learned, talk about management styles, workplace culture, and other stuff in this box.
A typical day at work consisted of answering phone calls and picking up the mail. I learned how to communicate with others and how to manage my time wisely. The hardest part of the job for me was getting use to the phone and wiring people to the correct person. That took me about a week to figure out. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and helping people.
During a typical day work, I used to help in the front desk but at the same time I was working by doing research and investigations for the legislative bills happening in that moment.
Pros
Free Lunches on the Briefings
My typical day began at 7:30 a.m. and ended at 5:00 p.m. I enjoyed the individuals I worked with and those I worked for. I was treated well, and made many new contacts.

I spent the majority of my day delivering documents, legislation, bills and other documents to staff and legislators. I understood the necessity of being on time, and getting the job handled correctly.
Low stress job with plenty of community events. Good place to get accustomed to politics and engage withe the local community. A good way to network and learn how to get involved.
I would not participate directly in the assessment of those that came into the office, as their concerns needed to be met by someone with a certain level of clearance that I did not have as a intern of that office.
Pros
Great staff connection
Ask a question about working or interviewing at US Legislative Branch. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2