US Tool Group

US Tool Group Employee Reviews

United States97 reviews

advancementfamilyopportunitybenefitcareemployeecompanyplace

It's stressful as a cog

Everyone is just a cog in the machine unless you are upper management. Then it's the ol' boy's club. Not a lot of support from management, but as long as you can get your work done and not ruffle feathers, you can get by.

None at all

Sucks u work extra hard just to be told u are still not doing anything. Underpaid working 10 hours a day toxic work place no chance of advancing at all just work.

US Tool Group insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Corporate

A typical day at work includes, quoting, expediting, placing orders, following up with suppliers. Some managers care about commission at the expense of the customer. The workplace culture is toxic, the hardest part of the job is knowing that no matter what, everyone is replaceable. The most enjoyable part of the job having coworkers that are supportive.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Management is loyal to suppliers not their team, as long as commission is being made it doesn't matter how.

honestly the management under the actual manger was not good at all.

So much drama and being treated like a kid. And when you go to a higher up to address the situation. They don't really care. when there is nothing to do, they expect you to dilly dally with your fingers because they dont like people reading, looking at phones, color, word search, studying, nothing at all.

Mediocre place to work

Incompetency runs wild. Very few people know what they are doing in management, but they are fairly friendly. The pay is abysmal. When I worked there, we were on OT (including Saturdays) for 2 years. Very nepotistic. It always seemed like they wanted more and gave you less.

Pros

Cafeteria, Okay coworkers

Cons

Management, ownership, expectations, compensation, benefits

This is a terrible place to work, would not recommend.

Very toxic work environment, rude customers, no support from management, contradictory work tasks often solving one problem creates many more. No accountability, no matter what ridiculous demands the customer makes management will see that it's done by dumping it on the lower employees. You will quickly find yourself very overworked and stressed.

Pros

None that's worth the abuse

Cons

Weak incompetent management, No advancement opportunities unless you're part of the favorite group, Terrible wages, daily abuse from management and customers

Middle School Mentality

If one person is does something bad, every shift gets in trouble for it instead of just writing up that one person. Management nit picks every small thing no matter how good or bad your shift is doing. My advice? Don't.

Pros

Easy Job

Cons

Poor Management

There was good and bad

Upper management, HR, and all support teams were very helpful and kind all of the time. The former direct manager was standoff-ish and didn't share useful information or try to teach finer details of the inventory systems and was counter productive. It was a very stressful environment for me when I worked independently for the remainder of my time there.At one point, I had what turned to be a major anxiety attack that I went to the emergency room for. I initially thought I was having a heart attack.The time given to complete the electronic systems and hands on training was very compacted and caused A LOT of stress. I almost quit during my first month because of it. Initial communication from the training department was only to push to complete the electronic systems training and not check in with me about how well I'm learning or what I'm struggling with. I wish the starting PTO was given upfront after 90 days and more to start. 40 hrs is not enough time. I would suggest 80 hrs to start. Especially due the high stress in the workplace.Health care cost for medical are unaffordable unless you make more the $25/hr.If they ever open another site l, I wouldn't mind working for them again.

Pros

Decent starting wage, kind support personell

Cons

Unpaid lunch, stressful to learn electronic systems

Uneducated Management, high end expectations with low wage benefits.

Overall it is a bad place to work, unless you're just looking for work. You're expected to learn to be a machinist for $12-15h. You're evaluations are skipped entirely so raises do not exist except a 1% CoL raise yearly, usually. Management works together as friends to either keep you around or blackball you hoping you will leave on your own without their intervention. Every position is equal pay regardless of skill, whether you're the female serving papers and coffee to your boss, or a CNC machinist reading blue prints for SpaceX $15/hour! Highly recommend looking elsewhere for a place to work unless this is just a temporary paycheck for yourself.

Pros

Cafeteria fresh food daily

Cons

Nepotism, Incompetence, Unfair Pay, Expensive Healthcare

People you work with are nice and respectful. Upper management doesn't acknowledge common workers.

Good place to work. They were understanding anytime I had to take off. No place for advancement. Work on keeping everyone included so the ones that don't work out of the main office don't feel so isolated and alone.

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Long hours, no room for advancement

Was better years ago

After long term employment, this company is no longer what it used to be. Production implements new schedules at the drop of a hat, and no one is loyal to anyone.

Better than Fast Food

Myself and coworkers try to be positive about having this job because a lot of us come from fast food, Walmart, Amazon ect. We get paid decently in comparison to the places just listed and most of us do not have a degree, but there is no opportunity for growth in this company unless you are a personal family member or friend of the management. Favoritism is not even attempted to be hidden with this company and get ready to be forced to work overtime and have so much work that it is impossible for you to finish it in a 10 hour shift. But if you are a busy bee who does not mind moving up the ladder than this is the job for you.

Pros

Overtime, Health Insurance

Cons

Overworked, poor management

Numerous ways to move up in this company, and learn loads of new machines.

I've been with US Tool for 4 years and they are a great company to work for. Every great now and then there are hiccups but overall a great job to work at and decent pay.

Pros

Can use PTO anytime as long as you have hours to cover it.

Cons

Healthcare is a bit expensive, and you sit down all day

Under paid with a “rich mans” benefits

When I started at Us Tool it was a great company to work for. I was with them for 3.5 years. Then about 2 years ago I opened my eyes. The management only cares about keeping their boss happy not about the employees. You better only expect a 1.5-2 percent raise a year even if you are good at your job. The lazy gets better raises and recognition. While the ones that come in and learn how to run different machines and parts gets nothing but a hurry up and get this done. The pay is a little low for the area but the benefits are insanely expensive. Who wants to pay $240 a week for health insurance. After everything comes out of your check you don’t have enough to buy groceries. As Us Tool says you work for retirement and benefits.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Healthcare, Raises, cafeteria, management ETC

Great company!

USTG is a great family owned company! They do truly care for their employees and provide great benefits! Staff from hourly to the President are all first class! There are many employees with 20+ years and for good reason.

Cons

Management listens to the work location people and don't talk to me about what I need.

Great compensation plan and I had a lead that traveled with the team and paid for everything and the company paid for the airfare and hotel room for the team.

Pros

Lunches and dinners and hotel room and airfare paid for

Cons

Too much micromanaging by management

It used to be a good place to work.

Too much personal interaction from Ops. Mgmt. with specific people from the floor pertaining to outside activities. These people are favored higher than some that should be noticed.

Pros

Occasional free lunch, ice cream and pop cycles when it’s hot.

Cons

No climate control in the summer.

Tool crib attendant

Management hire and promotes family and friends. If you looking for a company to grow within this is not the place. They will hire anyone but be wary they prioritize promoting their family and friends before anyone qualified and deserving.

Cons

Nepotism and favoritism

The hours are hard to beat most of the time. There are times when you work a ton of overtime but the day goes by relatively fast when operating a CNC machine. Pay is fairly competitive for the area. You have to put in the time to make more money. Co-workers and the laid back atmosphere are the best thing about this place.

Pros

Laid back

Cons

Management could be more involved

No problems, just do your job!

I’ve been there 2 years and this company is like my second home! As long as you do your job you will have no problems! Great hours and good pay! Very easy work! Keep to yourself and do your job and you will have no problems!

Pros

Great hours

Cons

No overtime

Used to be good

Used to be much better but went downhill. Cut throat managers overrule and override the good ones. You will get blamed for things you did not do. When you raise your concerns to HR they will do nothing. Good benefits package but lousy PTO accrual.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Poor employee relations and renegade management drives off talent. Poor PTO policy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at US Tool Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits
  • US Tool Group
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?