US Xpress Employee Reviews for Company Driver

Featured review
US Xpress selected this as a representative review
Great Company
Commercial Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 13, 2018
The managers are easy to talk to and are able to work with you on what you need. They will do everything in their power to get you the time off in the spot requested. Pay is great benefits are great loved working for the company.
Pros
Everything is great about this place
Cons
Some of the managers are not as experienced as they need to be
New Driver
Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Ellenwood, GAApril 29, 2019
Although this company has flaws there is an upside to the company. Us Xpress offers company drivers college for themselves and their family which can help move up the corporate ladder. The companies day to day operations can be messy and frustrating for new company drivers. I myself have work more than 14 hours a day which included on duty driving and on duty physical unloading. When the math was added up for the hours of training it averages to 4-5 dollars an hour. That did not make me a happy camper.

They did have me off weekly and placed in a hotel with complimentary breakfast but at first they misplaced me in a rundown motel which made me feel very unsafe and a bad impression of the company. The door seemed to had been kicked in at some point and didn’t close properly, their was no free complimentary breakfast so I had to eat out and was upsetting. One call to the fleet manager and they were able to fix me up at a nicer stay with complimentary breakfast in just a few minutes. On the upside they are responsive managers.

Training was approximately 175 hour long and it was stressful at times. Barely getting to shower, eat or really do anything. Unloading was the most strenuous pet of the job but could be the most rewarding. You get to interact with employees and get a bit of physical exercise.

70$ a day is not enough to live off a truck and to pay bills at home for a month. If you plan on joining this company be prepared. Great thing about Us Xpress is that it is a family which keeps on growing. College benefits is great and only offered to company drivers
  more... and I look forward on taking advantage of what they are offering for free. I plan on getting my degree and fixing everything that is wrong with this company or leaving after I’ve completed my studies.

In conclusion they need a lot of development with in the company and need to focus more on their employees and training programs. The employees health and benefits is what drives the company and without satisfied employees you have a unsatisfactory productivity. As a new company driver I’ve do not want goes on behind the cooperate veil but can speak in behalf of new drivers coming into training. You should come prepared and is not an easy training. Hopefully the pay is worth the training. Today is my last day of training and I am so glad to be through with it. Good Luck and God speed.
Pros
College
Cons
Stressful lifestyle
Job was ok
Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Tunnel Hill, GAApril 22, 2019
Management was very pleasant to work with. Benefits were day one and pretty good. The company offered a free education for you and a dependent child. The pay was very low. It’s a good beginner job all in all.
Pros
Relaxed work environment
Cons
Hard to get ahold of driver management when needed
Good rhen went bad quick
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  LAApril 11, 2019
I worked there for 7 months they dint fix there trucks they bs u on break down pay they lie never get back to you about the things they say the fleet managers are trash
Pros
They give hotels mist of the tume the truck is down
Cons
Bad pay worse leadership lucky if y get a good truck
1st real job over the road and drive-in a 18 Wheeler had so much fun
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 11, 2019
Enjoyed teaming up with a partner the I met from West Virginia and we drove for about a year and a 1/2 together really enjoyed meeting ham and driving from East Coast to West Coast seen other States and just enjoying the scenery of the United States are still keep in touch with My team partner till this Day
Pros
Mostly everything was good at us express
Cons
Would have you out 2 to 3 months before you got home and would only be there for 2 or 3 days
Us xpress ads on their website do not match reality
Company Driver OTR (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 9, 2019
First things first, if you are just starting out, go for it! Them or Schneider will do just fine and you can work for a year to get some experience. However, once you have been through 3 days of orientation, you will notice that nothing that you saw on their website promised you, truly applies TO you. Those things apply to the drivers that have experience - those that do, do not come to US Xpress...so ha HA ha?

You can expect to be paired up and stuck with a random "team mate", which translates into someone that has no idea what etiquette is in a small and confined space! I mean, if you got a buddy that you know and can handle for weeks at a time - go for it! Otherwise, you are in for a real ride... We all were new once, which is fine, but the company's matching ability is this - close eyes, stick a finger up the nose and pick a name...taadaa = you've got a match! So, get used to smelling cigarettes if you don't smoke and small inconsequential things like that. Spoken or written, email or paper - it is like Christmas! You will find out once you are on the road woohoo! Bring air freshener and a sleeping bag.

The 175+ hours is for the new drivers. However, if you have not driven for a little while, do not be goaded into signing up for a "little refresher"!! Driving a truck is like riding a bike, you learned to do it once, you won't forget it. And 175 hours to "refresh" yourself is...odd... Although, not odd for the company once you know this! You will be running TEAM for your trainer and be paid...wait for it! 350$ minus tax. It is not the trainer's fault...because
  more... you would do the same = run anyone for 175 hours making the $$$ for yourself.

Home time? Yes, there is such a thing... Just do not plan to have it while you are here. The manager will do everything they can to keep you out and about. Literally, 4-5 weeks should be enough for any adult to figure out that 2 males in a small confined space need to be sent home to have some personal space apart. However, it requires a magician to get that point across.

The most enjoyable part of the job is driving... the trucks are maintained well and if something happens the company takes care of it. There is plenty of miles to take advantage of and capitalize on...if your team mate thinks the same way that you do that is (good luck, buddy!)
Pros
Good for newbs
Cons
Pay, home time, culture, managerial behavior... everything that really matters
good for starters
company driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN 37421January 23, 2019
This is a good overall company to start with. They will hire new grads right out of drivers school and try to match a trainee up with a good trainer. Will accommodate as much as any company can if there is an issue. Pay was decent for new driver with no experience.
Pros
willing to hire and train
Cons
after a while the cab starts to get small
otr
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHOctober 6, 2018
us xpress, vet friendly, most of the staff that was assigned to you were understanding if you had a situation come up and you needed to get home or if something else arose. Pay scale was ify but understand its better now.
Ok place to work
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 10, 2018
For me this was a very stressful job. As a OTR team driver we had to always fight for miles. Within 7 months we had 5 FM and not because we fired them either. We Never turned down loads even if they were less than 100miles. We were always on time to the shipper and consignee. We stayed out for 6 weeks or more at a time but the company always made us feel like they really didn't care about us and would stress us out daily. I would only recommend this company if you are a student driver with no experience.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
slow paced job with travel across country
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSJune 24, 2018
very inviting work space all drivers are friendly and the feet managers actually care about there otr drivers this was my first stop when i got my cdl licence and i learned so much from it that is the most enjoyable part about this career choice .
not enough pay
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 15, 2018
did not like being on the road very slow work especially for the pay and the time away from family amd home time as well as routes were not good for the pay
Ok to start with
Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 11, 2018
Keep a clean record don’t be late don’t turn down dispatch, get your rest, try to not think about being away from home for months at a time, no time to see family pay lousy
Pros
See the USA
Cons
No home time
A Good Large Company
Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 8, 2018
Typical day included picking up a loaded trailer, making sure that the trailer was fit for transportation, and driving to the consignee. Communication with the dispatchers, guard shack, and store managers is integral to keeping your job. Management is excellent most of the time, but circumstances can slow down the processes which may slow down your day. I really enjoyed working by myself for large stretches at a time.
Pros
Excellent coverage
Cons
Stability in time off.
its a job
OTR Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Tunnel Hill, GAMay 3, 2018
had problems getting paid . typical driving time on elogs , dispatch is rude and gives the unrealistic time frame to deliver loads but they want to stay legal
Relaxing
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHFebruary 14, 2018
You would drive otr and as long as you do what you have to do to get your loads to another state on time you good! But I feel as the pay could’ve been better
Pros
Don’t have somebody breathing down your neck every minute
Cons
Pay rate and 5 day home times
Enjoyed working with USXpress, no complaints
OTR Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 12, 2018
I went to USXpress truck driving school, this was the first company I started driving for. It was hard work at times, fighting traffic in the big cities, cars pulling out in front of you, possibly causing accidents. Backing the trailer in really tight places so the freight could be unloaded. I really enjoyed driving all over the United States, seeing things I may never would have seen. Meeting other truck drivers and making a lot of new friends.
Pros
Being my own boss in a way, driving across the US.
Cons
Snow and icey weather.
Better place to be
Commercial Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Chaganooga, TN.January 25, 2018
Good place to drive for.
Management is ok.
I like getting the miles = $$$ higher pay.

Work about 11 hours a day.
Have truck terminals about every state.
Pros
Good place to retire
Cons
Don't get into a accident...
I'm not a fan
OTR Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXNovember 7, 2017
when i started driving for them it sounded like an awesome job then i got in the truck an they didn't get me out of it for almost 3 months straight i'm not a big fan of OTR anymore at all
Pros
Cons
never home
Home Alone
OTR Company Driver (Former Employee) –  TennesseeAugust 28, 2017
Like being dispatched on the east coast with my teammate easy access to home and great eateries.

Great if you can get your dispatcher to keep you on this run which is the east coast.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Sometimes equipment was an issue.
Great work experience with out of school training
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAAugust 22, 2017
I would give U.s Xpress another change in the future with the right compensation and with adequate amount of home time. Over the road is a rough life and I feel it's worth more then any beginners pay they offer along with other companies.
Pros
Terminals have Showers, Laundry facility & drivers lounge.
Cons
Low paying salary on most accounts
great starter company
OTR Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 9, 2017
This is a great company if you are just getting started with your driving career. I highly recomend them though the pay isnt as high you have to keep in mind you are probaly at entry level pay at this point.
Pros
great conmuication, great benifits, makes good on home time
Cons
ok miles

Ask a question about working or interviewing at US Xpress. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight