US Xpress Employee Reviews for Otr

Featured review
US Xpress selected this as a representative review
Great Company
Commercial Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 13, 2018
The managers are easy to talk to and are able to work with you on what you need. They will do everything in their power to get you the time off in the spot requested. Pay is great benefits are great loved working for the company.
Pros
Everything is great about this place
Cons
Some of the managers are not as experienced as they need to be
it's a big company& good company if you don't want to go home&make money for them
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 20, 2019
Pretty Trucks, and the speed was about par for getting things delivered safely. just to big of a company for their own pants so to say!Management was clueless&Trucking over the road is not what it use to be years ago!It has gone down hill&drivers get the short end of the stick
Pros
nothing really
Cons
nothing really
Good Place to learn
OTR/ DEDICATED ACCOUNT DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 13, 2019
Good company if you are a new driver. Really teach you the ropes in how to become an outstanding driver. The pay is really not all that good especially if you reside in Florida.
Not a great place to work
OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 14, 2019
They offer forced dispatched, their management is rude and disrespectful. You will not get home on time days late. They dont care about your heath and well-being. Pay is awful. Drivers are leaving USX.
U.S. Xpress
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 1, 2019
Typical day; driving trucks long distances. What I learned was how to drive the trucks. Management was very poor. They tried to force you to do things that were unsafe or illegal. The hardest part was being alone and the most enjoyable was being able to see the country.
My personal experience
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Tunnel hillOctober 24, 2018
First off, I feel that training should be longer and that it should be seasonal. You need to be familiar how to drive in all conditions, so I would recommend it twice a year or to be longer. I was told to follow my GPS but that is bad advice. You'll find trouble almost every time, the minute I purchased a Rand Mcnally GPS that trouble was virtually nonexistent. Dalton Dunbar, you were the best dispatch, brother. I take responsibility for my mistakes while I was there. Although, if there was more information on what could have made my experience more smooth, like not following that gps, I would have enjoyed it more. Also, the directions to shippers are terrible at times. All the same, sometimes the dispatch (not Dalton) would give you loads that are hard to plan routes for, you'd have a hard time making it while finding a nice place to rest. And the pay was not very good to me being otr starting out. I made more as a trainee. Overall, it's not a terrible company but I would recommend not going to any big company tbh. I'm being honest, please listen. If you find yourself there already, be safe and plan yopur routes and where you'll stay. Look for a place to stop 2 hours in advance if you have to.
Pros
Most dispatchers are friendly.
Cons
Not enough training, needs to be doubled. Upper management - some are butt holes, Pay is bad starting out at least in my case, The rest of what I said above.
OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 9, 2018
I've been here on and off since 1998,,its a great place to work..They treat you fair..if you want to work they will keep you busy..Thye have well maintained equipment,,
Pros
Great equipment, Dispatch keeps you inform
Cons
Sometimes you lose out on loads and they take a while to get you a new dispatch
Good place for beginner drivers
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 13, 2018
USX is a great place for beginner drivers to get their feet wet. I enjoyed my time there I just simply missed my family and wanted to be home. Never sufficient home time, but that's common for an otr driver.
Pros
Weekly safety bonuses, they're great about keeping up with maintenance on trucks and trailers
Cons
Home time and weekend staff
get your experience and run
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXAugust 7, 2018
company spends millions on orientation. The have the orientation team treat you like cattle. they make money with students and little experience drivers. run like the wind once you get your experience.
reliable company to work for
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 26, 2018
good company to work for, especially as a new driver just starting out. The trainers are very good and thorough. They have very nice driver facilities at their terminals.
overall good company.
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 7, 2018
This is a decent company with newer trucks. Dedicated accounts pay well. I would recommend this company to newbies looking to get experience in the industry.
Pros
newer trucks, new driver friendly
Cons
low pay on some accounts
Advertising for hires
OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  TexasApril 10, 2018
Stop the false advertising campaign, 1st I moved to a location because your Ad said you needed to live in this city for the advertisied job, moved , leased an apt and then find out there’s only 1 job in all of Texas that’s dedicated and it’s in new caney TX.
Now your running Ads for lease purchase, but the problems our, your saying average is 175000 per year, then in another you say experienced driver can make 10,000 per month, will I only have 2 yrs of college and 12 x 10,000 doesn’t equal 175,000, then there was an Ad for 1.39 per mile which they don’t pay, Health insurance expensive, also when u get a mechanical ticket they don’t fight your points do learn to adjust your own brakes because the mechanics say there not allowed to adjust them.

Also if you get paid more and you bust your butt to make more. Money expect to get yelled at by your FM and they’ll cut your work load too.

It’s a bad place if your a hard runner.
Pros
Some FM are nice, and most will run you just for quota
Cons
Ads for jobs are fake read small print, bad mechanics, work rotations
Not recommended
Former otr driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 6, 2018
I would not recommend this company. I would not have start out with this company if I had known what I know now. Poor pay and was more in debt after working for this company. All kind if monitoring such as camera in can. Call from dispatcher when your sleeping at night to crazy safety dept. I am so glad I left. I am making twice as much now working for current company. Don’t believe all the ad about salary of driver from this company. Most driver were planning to leave when I was there.
Pros
Ok signed dispatcher after 3 another
Cons
Bad safety dept, bad dispatcher working at nights, low mile pay
Long days
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 21, 2018
US Xpress is a large company and there was a lot of managers that do not belong but if you can get a good fleet manager then you will be golden. There are times that you will sit all day at a dock. I suggest telling customers that they are getting charged 660 dollars a day if you arrive early and they will not unload you till your day.
Pros
can make good money
Cons
management don't communicate
usless company stay far away
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  OTRFebruary 9, 2018
I was otrr and the comapny wanted you to drive overweight with fm saying maybe you will get lucky and not get pulled into scale. Wanted you to drive with transmission fault radar fault and abs fault showing on dash with no respect of putting driver in this position. If ever pulled over by dot you would be put out of service and get all the tickets this company does not care and does not care about drivers stay far away
Pros
none at all
Cons
everything
Sucked bad
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 21, 2017
They put me through school and contracted me to work for a year and they would pay the school off. did not happen. I was forced to stay out for 8 weeks at a time because they claimed that they didn't have any routes going by the house. not true. I was within 50 miles of my hometown every week. I would put in the home time and they would deliberately route me out of home area to keep me out.
It is what it is no communication wait to long cant find empty trlrs conveniently
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 1, 2017
Are you sure you want the truth?Planners suck everybody passes the buck to someone else lack of communication driver tech system sucks say they care but dont. My fleet mgr was good but communication with night shift sucked. Recruiters lied to get you into truck. All I asked for is honesty and communication and both were a failure. When quit no phone call or questions asked.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Lack of communication attitudes of some key employees suck
Great company
OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 27, 2017
Would recommend a friend to work there. Great equipment and lots of opportunity to travel and see the united states. Great when it comes to getting you home on time.
Pros
Great equipment
Cons
Dont get to choose your equipment
Need to get organized and care bout there driver
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 12, 2017
Large company force dispatch not organize . Stated fine and nice . Later got switch to another dispatcher everything break lose low miles use to sit at truck stop for sometimes. Need a load to run . Most big companies are not organized
Nice company to work for recent cdl graduates
Dedicated/OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILJuly 12, 2017
As a new graduate, being able to obtain a dedicated run was a great experience. There aren't any places to park the rig except at the stores you deliver to if they let you. Other than that, it's a pretty good company so far
Pros
Excellent time home
Cons
May have to pay to park rig in south eastern MI if you're dedicated
decent miles
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHJune 9, 2017
got me home when I needed. never failed to get me a load. runs were short for solo drivers. nice fleet manager. have called and emailed a lot since I quit

Ask a question about working or interviewing at US Xpress. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight