UAB Hospital Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Nice place to start a career in healthcare
Patient Care Technician (PCT) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 16, 2018
Uab is a great place. They have many opportunities to advance. A place where you can learn a lot and always grow. Teamwork is a plus at Uab. A great place to start a nursing career
Pros
Working with people
Benefits
Very pleasant place to work
INROADS Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 15, 2018
I loved working as an intern at this hospital. I would love to work as a permanent full-time employee. UAB hospital is a very competitive hospital and they are recognized nationwide.
Pros
Good work environment
Patient Observer
Patient Observer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 13, 2018
The Patient Observer role provides constant bedside observation and monitoring for medical and behavioral issues under the supervision of a staff nurse by performing non-professional patient care services, crisis intervention, therapeutic interactions and behavior management. To provide 1:1 or 1:2 patient observations and rounding every 15 minutes in order to prevent self-inflicted harm.
Psychiatric Emergency Services Office Duties Dec. 2016-present: All duties preformed under the direct or indirect supervision of psychiatric nurse. Transporting patients into and out of the department. Designing schedule layout and filling openings in the staff schedule. Drafting and typing patient resources and handouts for child/adolescent, adult, geriatric, and homeless psychiatric providers. Providing delirium kit resources for uncontrollable patients. Drafting and typing nurse resources for patient assessment, admission, Columbia screen, fax, and JBS appointment forms. Also, assist in answering calls, making JBS appointments, and faxing patient transfer requests to hospitals.
Pros
Benifits, Pto, And Hour lunch breaks
Cons
When patients get out of control
great place to work
Certified Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 10, 2018
UAB is a great place to work, its pretty big which can be overwhelming at first but most everybody is friendly and will lend a helping hand if needed.
This review will reflect my position as a triage nurse with UAB
RN (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 8, 2018
A typical day at work included retrieving phone calls and return calls to clients which averaged about 50/day. I'd call in lab results to clients, call in refills for scripts, help schedule appointments due to acuity of the illness (or refer to the ER when necessary), work on precertification's for insurance companies to have procedures and certain meds approved for coverage, prepare charts for the clinics of 2 Neurologists. The largest part of my job was helping a patient with an issue such as symptoms that needed to be addressed. This required autonomy and knowing when to refer to doctors for information. The hardest part of my job was trying to balance walk-in patients who wanted to meet with me, vendors who wanted to meet with me with the job that needed to get done as noted above. The best part of my job was easing patient's worry when they felt helpless.
Pros
I love talking with clients and easing their anxieties with problem solving.
Cons
Not enough hours to do as much as I wished to do.
Amazing Continuing Educational Opportunities
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 28, 2018
UAB is a teaching hospital that is ranked nationally within several medical and nursing programs that allows each employee to grow individually. A typical day at work consist of patient care with a variety of diagnoses, allowing me to learn women's health but also cardiac, renal, hematology oncology, and general medicine.
Working in Benign Gynecology/Gynecology Oncology, the hardest part of my job is watching my precious patient suffer from cancer diagnoses and family members struggle with caregiver stress. The most enjoyable part of my job is understanding that I am their difference maker for at least 8-12 hours of their day, allowing the families to get relief from caregiving and the patients to understand their interdisciplinary team is working hard at making sure their patient care plan is efficient!
learning hospital
patient care technician-M7 Vascular Surgery (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 28, 2018
parking is really bad. lots of places for employees and family members to dine. flexible work schedules. low pay for such a huge organization. makes you go back to school.
Great
Material Managemnet Tech. (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 9, 2018
Great place to work. UAB also have great hours, they also work with you when you need days off. Been there for some years now I would recommend to anyone.
Excellent
Resident Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 7, 2018
UAB is an excellent place to work. I truly enjoyed my experience there. The staff and patient relationship is awesome. The administration truly care about you.
good work place
PCT/CNA (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 29, 2018
the job is ok work at UAB is a pretty good place I have been here for a long time and I wanted to try something different but the place is a good work place
Pros
name
Cons
parking
Uabis the place to be
Staffing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 26, 2018
I have worked for UAB in various roles for 24 years. For me, it is an excellent place to work. Patient Care can be rewarding and challenging. The job is much easier when you have adequate staffing coverage, and a group of co-workers who are willing to do their fair share and offer support to others.
Pros
Beautiful environment, company gym, numerous, conveniently located eateries, adequate supplies.
Cons
staffing shortages and pricey parking
Great Structure of workflow
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 26, 2018
The setup of the Patient Access positions were very well structured. It was set up to work with a smooth flow, and very little disorientation. Managers are very understanding to family needs.
Wonderful Hospital
Staff RN, Charge Nurse, Preceptor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 11, 2018
This was a very good hospital to work for. Everything is top notch. Staff, management. Very fast paced and stressful work environment, but the team work made all the difference.
Very great place to work
Patient Observer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 9, 2018
I worked in the staffing float pool which means I worked in almost every part of the hospital. I learned something new everyday because none of my patients always had the same exact symptoms and each had different personalities. Some were welcoming, others not so much but that's what you deal with in everyday life. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people, forming friendships,and just the joy of knowing that I'm making a difference for someone.
It was fun working there
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 5, 2018
I would recommend UAB to others to work there it was very nice there and I really enjoyed my time there. The management was very nice and treated everyone fairly
UAB makes a genuine effort to make our workplace enjoyable
Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 5, 2018
I honestly think that UAB is one of the most considerate places I've ever worked. They throw Christmas lunches for the entire staff, a "cookout" themed lunch in the summer; they even raised the minimum wage by almost $2 recently. My issue is a matter of management, I don't think management has enough of a check and balance system which leads to them abusing their power. UAB is a fair place to work, my department was another issue.
Pros
good benefits; great staff involvement
Cons
The company is struggling financially
Continuous learning opportunities. A chance to make a difference in the life of others.
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 4, 2018
At UAB Hospital things are constantly changing and making it to where you are constantly learning and growing. UAB also has a large college campus that offers many programs.
The best part of my job is seeing patients quality of life improve, and the unexpected recoveries of some that did not have such a great outlook upon arrival to UAB Hospital.
Pros
Being surrounded by health professionals.
Cons
Sometimes you don't get much of a break during 12 hour shifts.
Workplace
Surgical Technologist Extern (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 3, 2018
A typical day in the OR was quick paced and mind blowing. Staff helped one another when in need. When a emergency came through everyone that was free and not busy immediately helped out to make things goes smoothly.
The hardest part of the job
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 2, 2018
The hardest part of the job is dealing with others attitudes and personalities, whether it be patients or co-workers, things can be very challenging because you have to always put on your happy face.
Not a healthy work environment for minorities
Staff Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 10, 2018
Toxic Culture - would not recommend to minorities with a heart for culture, community, relationship, diversity, and inclusion. Management does not listen to minorities and seems to favor the dominant society in every situation.