UAB Medicine Employee Reviews

Uab
RESEARCH TECHNICIAN/PHLEBOTOMIST (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 7, 2019
Its great to work at UAB. There are a lot of on campus activities and fun things to do. There are also developmental classes available for persons who are wanting to build their skills.
Love the job security
RN, BSN (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 5, 2019
My typical day is on the phone all day long with patients. I work 8 hours a day, have weekends and holidays off, benefits are excellent, the health insurance cost is extremely reasonable, I have a good manager who tries to be fair across the board. The most enjoyable part of my job is the hours, vacation and sick time off. There is unlimited opportunities growth and promotions, they pay for you to go back to school and further your education as well as your kids. Best nursing job I have ever had. I plan to retire here at UAB.
Pros
Education assistance for employee and family, vacation, sick time
Cons
pay not that good
Educational Assistance
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 31, 2018
When you are a full-time employee at UAB (school or hospital), they will pay for tuition to attend UAB, and 1/2 of tuition for college-age children (until the age 26)
Pros
Educational assistance and working with the diverse patient population
Cons
Management micromanages/and very bias
The Management...Not so good!!!
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 30, 2018
I worked as a technician for UAB for a short-time...It would be a decent place if the HSIS department management was more caring for the employees even the small entry-level guys. They don't care about working with the new guys, they care too much about the veteran technicians over getting the new technicians up to speed. If you did something wrong, they won't bother giving you advice on how to do your job better the way they want you to...they'll terminate you without warning.
Pros
Invites to parties...What else is there to say!
Cons
Underpaid, Poor management, and everything else about the culture of UAB
I retired from UAB but the salary was'nt give fairly
Health Information Management Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 27, 2018
I retired from UAB. I learned a lot, I really grew up there. There were so much I learned about medicine,doctors, employess and it is an experience I will never forget. All jobs have obstacles you have to face but it is how you handle the situations you are given,
fun place
Custodian Worker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 22, 2018
eat breakfast,start job, clean bathrooms,empty trash cans,vacuum classrooms,lunch,same things go home. teachers thought i was student at the end of day.
Flexible hours
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 20, 2018
The company will pay for you to go too school. Will also allow you to move up pretty quick as well as have health and dental insurance. You have have a 401K plan as well as receive retirement benefits
Pros
You can move up in the work force
Loved everyone I worked with
ADMISSSIONS COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 20, 2018
I had the best co-workers and manager you could ask for. Unfortunately, and by no choice of my manager, the department I worked for decided they wanted to start working weekends and that was not something I could do and we did not have to option of not working on the weekends.
UAB have good retirement benefits
Anesthesia Tech (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 18, 2018
I have work for UAB for 22 years, and I have really enjoyed my time. I have learn so much by working in the surgery rooms seeing different surgeries that goes on everyday.
Environmental Service
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 14, 2018
I Help kept the hospital clean and neat at all times I have always been appreciative since I started they have treated me like I were they own family members
Unique position that definitely set me up for success. I believe it made me a much more lucrative candidate.
Operating Room Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 5, 2018
UAB Neurosurgery at Greystone is like a second family for me. The office dynamic was better than anyone could ask for. It set me apart from other APPs by training me to read and interpret all imaging so that I could run the first Neurosurgery Specialty Clinic on my own. My patients were solely mine, establiahed and long term follow ups.
Pros
Compatible co workers, volume daily of patients, efficiency
Cons
Electronics constantly glitching or running too slow
Many opportunities at UAB
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 3, 2018
I think UAB is a good place to work. I have learned so much working there. It pretty much depends on the unit, management or leadership ability to address problems, communication and co-workers. The culture/teamwork on some of the units are great, but not on all.
Pros
Educational Assistance and some co-workers
Cons
Management and co-workers depending on the unit & pay
Not What I Expected
Patient Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 2, 2018
It took me years to work for this company and after I did, I was deeply disappointed. The experience with HR to Management. Research before working here.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Managment, Benefits and HR
Great friendly and professional envieonment
Environmental Services/Unit Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 28, 2018
I really enjoyed my time working there. I developed a lot of close knit friendships and bonds that i will carry a lifetime. I don't miss the slow pay of every 2 weeks. I feel weekly pay is better. I never had a chance to advance even though i promised i would
Chance to make positive changes in people's lives
Electronic Monitoring Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 26, 2018
* A typical day required monitoring clients on a 24/7 schedule, verifying clients were at work and their whereabouts, documenting all information regarding client movement.
*I learned a great deal about the criminal justice system and it's processes.
*I maintained a professional individual one on one relationship with each client.
*The most enjoyable part of my position was attending Drug Court Graduation every few months to see the smiles on the faces of the clients who turned their lives around and graduated from the program.
Pros
Involvement with clients and their families
Cons
Seeing clients fail during the program
Workplace Culture
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 25, 2018
Workplace culture at UAB Hospital is a great environment to be a part of in the work force. Teamwork often drives the employees and things get done efficiently.
Work life balance
Management Associate (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 25, 2018
Good work-life balance
UAB treats their employees well, and it is a comfortable place to work.
The only downside is that the organization is resistant to change.
Vary fast pace work enviroment
Computer Tomography Technologist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 25, 2018
VARY FAST PACE WORK ENVIROMENT• Operated Computer Tomography (CAT) scanners; Inspected images for quality, using magnetic resonance scanner equipment and laser camera; Injected intravenously contrast dyes, such as IVP contrast, in accordance with scope of practice; Scheduled appointments for research subjects and clinical patients
Enjoyed my time working at UAB
Nursing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 23, 2018
I developed nursing skills at UAB by working in the critical care units caring for the patients, working with the staff and doctors. Later supervised the hospital managing the daily activities for the medical center, including patient/ family issues and managing staffing--
fun
Food Preparer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 17, 2018
Good location site and random free lunches but benefits and managers are not good and unprofessional. Meet new people who are helpful and nice. no job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UAB Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.