UAB Medicine Employee Reviews

It is an amazing facility and an outstanding work place.
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 17, 2018
Working at UAB Medicine has been an amazing experience. The facility is top notch and the medical staff is caring. I am blessed to be apart of something that saves so many lives and has a great impact on each patient I care for.
Awesome place!
CPhT Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 26, 2018
UAB is a fast-paced area to work; therefore, have on your running shoes! The atmosphere is very friendly and welcoming. The only issue that I have is the salary wage in my department and the lack of career advancement.
Never work with Dr. Chambers
Management (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 24, 2018
This is one of the most out of control physicians that for some reason The Department of Neurosurgery chooses to turn their backs on her behavior towards.
Pros
tuition reimbursement
Cons
Hostile work environment
UAB cares about it's employees futures
Event Coordinator and Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 22, 2018
As an education based school and hospital, UAB strongly encourages the furthering of the education of their employees. The education benefit offered to employees by working at UAB is enough to encourage anyone to apply for a position. Some areas of UAB offer 100% tuition paid by the department you work (not reimbursement after the fact.) UAB has a great culture and is one of the largest employers in the state of Alabama. I have worked here for almost 10 years, and highly recommend it as an employer.
Pros
Health and education benefits and ample vacation time
Cons
heavy traffic commutes
poor management
Guest Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 24, 2018
a lot of jobs don't realize they lose great people because of poor management. your employees come first because these are the people that will deliver great service to any ones business.
Patient Care Tech (PCT) on ICU Unit
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 16, 2018
Full-time is 3, 12 hour shifts a week.
Can be very fast paced or relaxing environment
Many transport trips to scans and units
I believe ICU employees should be paid more than we are currently.
I do love getting educational assistance for classes at UAB, which is for any full-time employee after working for 6 months.
Mostly stock, bathe, and transport patients.
Mainly a nurse's assistant.
Pros
1 hour lunch, 4 days off a week.
Cons
Busy, stress, on your feet a lot.
Very High Stress due to bad manager
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Education/ HospitalApril 13, 2018
People don't usually leave jobs they leave bosses. Mine was the most unapproachable and hateful person alive. Retire.... please!!!! The position was made to be very stressful and really didn't have to be... micromanaging central.... just overall bad place to work because the manager made sure of it.
Benefits
Cons
High stress
Very stressfull inviroment rude coworkers
Floor Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 17, 2018
They have an low tern over rate rude employee and in my department they treat us like slaves and pay us less also i feel like they discriminate against color
Tremendous environment to be in. Got along with co-workers very easily.
Patient Transporter (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 19, 2018
It was an okay field for someone who wanted to get a glimpse on what it was like having a real job. Management was fair but, sometimes unprofessional in most situations.
Pros
Great communication skills, huge company still evolving, focused on patients needs and wants entirely
Cons
Were very impatient, weren’t the best encouraging at times, not enough room for growth, no diversity in upper management
Excellent environment
Registered Nurse Clinical Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 23, 2018
UAB Medicine provides an excellent working environment and fair employment practices. Of all the places I have been employed, UAB Medicine has the happiest employees with whom I have ever worked. Management listens to concerns and encourages input and suggestions.
Benefits
Cons
Difficult work; sometimes short-staffed.
great people
Software Developer Intern (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 25, 2017
this was an internship, so cannot compare it with a full time job (benefits, perks, etc). But the work culture is great. Building and offices seems a bit cramped up, but people are friendly and helpful.
Successful workplace
Department of Pharmacy - Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 24, 2017
Being able to assist patients with their health-related issues is the best part of the job. This is a large hospital with many departments and opportunities.
Really liked working there but their points system was not fair at all.
CCMA (Former Employee) –  HighlandsSeptember 15, 2017
I worked at UAB for 7 years. For the most part I really loved working there. I always did my job and whatever else they asked of me. When it came to you needing to be off for a sick child or you were sick yourself they didn't care. You can not even be a minute late without getting a write up. When I first started it was much better your points roled off after 3 months and now it's a full 12 months. Things happen in life when you need to be away from work. If they are gonna give you paid sick time you should not be punished for using it.
Pros
My patients
Cons
The point system
Working at UAB is very fun
PCT (Patient Care Technician) (Current Employee) –  Birmingham AlabamaSeptember 12, 2017
Working at UAB has been a very good experiment for me. I have learned a lot of skills from UAB. UAB make sure my skills are sharp every year. I would like to get paid more for my services at UAB by being a tech.
Pros
The pros of working at UAB are having fun with the patients
Cons
The currents are working at UAB or not being paid enough
UAB Central Pharmacy Poorly Managed
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 29, 2017
The immediate director is a great manager. Unfortunately those above her have little to no experience in decision making and make working in the pharmacy awful. The little pay is not worth the amount of stress upper management or "floor 17" as they call them causes. Nearly every hospital around here is paying their techs way more
Cons
Retirement plan is mediocre at best. Health care is expensive
great opportunity for hands on patient care
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 28, 2017
This was a very fast paced, high acuity environment. I really learned a lot about cutting edge medical therapies that are now available for patients, an learned how to provide the best care to any and everyone.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
It was ok
Intern (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 6, 2017
It was a lot of answering the phone and transferring calls to different department. I had shorts breaks some days and setting up meetings, luncheons, and interviews.
Good Outpatient Clinic
Director of Clinical Services (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 27, 2017
Kirklin Clinic has great physicians and provides a large variety of services to it's patients. Great place to go to get medical care by qualified physicians.
Pros
Md, Location
Cons
Managment
Part Of UAB Medicine
Head Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALMay 27, 2017
Small hospital located in Bessemer AL, and is part of UAB Medicine. It does not have the same quality of MD's as other UAB Medicine hospitals. Not a great place to work
Pros
Cons
Management, Working Conditions
Great Hospital
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 27, 2017
Good smaller hospital part of the UAB Medicine system, which provided excellent services and has good physicians. The staff get along well with each other.
Pros
Md, Staff, Services
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UAB Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.

UAB Medicine Reviews by Location