UC Davis Employee Reviews

productive fun environment
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Davis, CAJanuary 10, 2019
preparing food for back stock.

Deal with the lunch rush of students while trying to be fast and efficient

Bosses were very friendly and approachable
Cow
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Parking
Good people, horrible working environment
Graduate Student Researcher V (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAJanuary 8, 2019
As a graduate student this was my situation while working at UCD:

Paid mandatory maximum 49% time in the Plant Science Department
I needed to work >100% time to complete my job
The cost of living far exceeds what I was officially able to be paid
The University provided good health benefits
I was considered a part time employee even though I had to work >100% routinely
I got a Masters and PhD
I had to take out loans to support myself
The people I worked with were very nice and some of the most knowledgeable in their fields
The University and department I worked in provided no support. I was completely on my own to get my work done. When I requested help from people in my department for help I was never able to find anyone to help me, so I basically learned everything I needed to know from Googling troubleshooting topics
Overall my graduate education cost $336K and I was not ever able to get help from anyone in my department for critical research guidance

I'm ecstatic to be done with the UC system forever. I got a good education. It was good, not great, and I had to work really hard to be done.
Pros
Good health benefits
Cons
Really bad pay, long hours, no support, the U. caps pay at 49% to avoid paying benefits to graduate students
great institude
Chief Designer (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAJanuary 8, 2019
loved UC Davis, however does NOT properly prepare students, especially design students, for the outside world. Maybe it's my fault for not putting myself out there. Doesn't help students with their portfolio (must seek personal help). I honestly have very little direction in terms of how I'm going to find a job.
Solid for Grad School
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Davis, CADecember 26, 2018
It was a solid place to work for graduate school. TAing was a pain and often involved much more work than the hours per week stated. That equated to low pay per hour when averaged out. Salary was low, as with most grad programs, but requirement to do research despite TAing and classes is high and stressful.
Rewarding
INTERVENTIONAL RADIOLOGY - Physician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 21, 2018
Patients are very grateful for the care provided at UCDMC. I really enjoyed my time there in the Interventional Radiology department and I would still be there if I had a choice.
Co workers were challenging but overall the job was interesting
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Davis, CADecember 21, 2018
The work environment was not ideal. There was not a strong leadership in place and it seemed a lot of busy bees buzzing around not accomplishing big tasks.
Working at UCD is a good experience
Part Time Employee (Current Employee) –  Davis, CADecember 16, 2018
Overall, I've enjoyed my part-time employment at UCD. I have worked in the Dining Commons, Arboretum, and Botanical conservatory. The Dining Common was an unideal set up, but the other two sectors were delightful.
Top Ten Employer in Northern California
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Davis, CANovember 29, 2018
Management is highly supportive. Top-notch facilities. All of the workers are best friends. Opportunities to collaborate are abundant. Salary is good.
Definitely not for everybody
Postdoctoral Scholar (Former Employee) –  Davis, CA 95616November 27, 2018
If you like feeling like a tiny gear in a big machine you will like this place. Inept management and administration, low job security and an environment designed to make you feel undervalued.
Love the community
Student Outreach Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Davis, CANovember 27, 2018
Loved working with the people and collaborating with the community. Was able to express concerns to management and was able to get constructive feedback for myself.
Great encouragement to excel
Senior Writer (Current Employee) –  Davis, CANovember 21, 2018
A typical day is exciting but not overwhelming and the culture on my marketing team is very encouraging of work-life balance. I feel like I have been also mentored by incredibly knowledgeable professionals.
Great place to work!
Orientation Manager (Former Employee) –  Davis, CANovember 20, 2018
Working at UC Davis has been a blessing. The work is fun and rewarding. The culture on campus is very positive and staff care about your work-life balance. The jobs are secure and the benefits are great. I would highly recommend working here.
Positive
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Davis, CANovember 13, 2018
As a grad student researcher, I had a great experience building skills through my work. The worst thins was sometimes I had to fight my boss or payroll office to receive appropriate pay :(
A Great Place to Develop Career Skills
Guest Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Davis, CANovember 8, 2018
At UC Davis, I was able to develop essential career skills such as communication, working with and leading a team, time management and staying organized. The development of these skills was due to the College's resources and support from management staff.
Great college internships
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Davis, CANovember 6, 2018
what can i really say? uc davis is THE authority for agricultural colleges. extremely good funding, very good equipment and the professors are extremely knowledgeable. great place.
It was great doing research in a laboratory setting.
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Davis, CANovember 2, 2018
I liked working with walnuts. It was interesting to see how the breeding process works. Most of the job is growing walnuts to be selected for harvest.
Boring
Laboratory Assistant, MAE (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAOctober 30, 2018
A student assistant performs mundane and tedious tasks. Management was disorganized, and did not provide clear direction nor timelines. However, this varies manager to manager.
Great Benefits
Academic & Staff Personnel Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Davis, CAOctober 17, 2018
Working at UC Davis has been a great experience, however, personally I would like to work in the Private section. This is why I am actively looking to leave my current position at the University. The benefits at UCD are really great! That will be the biggest downside of leaving.
Poor management
STDT III (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAOctober 8, 2018
While I gained valuable skills and experience here. The poor management, and favoritist work environment can become a little too much to tolerate. A lot of the training had to be self taught, and there were no scheduled training for new joins, or peers assigned to conduct training would avoid the task.
Pros
Flexible hours, Fair pay for students
Cons
hyper competitive peers, favoritism in management
nice summer intern
UC-HBCU Summer Initiative Summer Internship (Former Employee) –  Davis, CASeptember 28, 2018
great summer internship, makes you want to live there for PhD. Nice area great Bicycle town in Davis California. Relaxing are, but I would suggest having a bike or a car.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UC Davis. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight