UC San Diego Employee Reviews

Found 1,011 reviews matching the search See all 1,017 reviews
Low Salary
Research Administrator 3 (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJanuary 2, 2019
Overall UCSD is a decent place to work for with a very good benefit packages. However, on the departments level-it's not very good-too many managers with conflicted personal agendas to make a different.

Low salary for all, too much politics and restriction for promotions.

1) Due to good benefits
2) People don't leave even when they hate their jobs
3) Low level customer services
Pros
good benefits
Cons
good benefits, salary restrictions, no promotions, hard to fired bad employees
Relaxing yet productive workplace with diverse individuals
Accounts Payable Student IV - Student Lead (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CANovember 25, 2018
I loved working in the UCSD Bookstore Accounts Payable! A typical work week is structured: data entry, check run, finalizing checks and office administrative support. I learned a great amount of account principles and procedures from a non-accounting background or field of study experience. The management was very helpful and push for the best potential they can get from you. The workplace culture is very diverse and very relaxed, but still provides a driving environment. The hardest part of the job was not being able to work full-time as a student. The most enjoyable part of the job was quickly moving up in the company within less than six months of being hired. The amount of work you put in will definitely be recognized.
Well.. It's academia
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 18, 2018
Academia is academia. I don't think it has to do with any particular place. As a postdoc, you are expected to work 50 hours a week BARE MINIMUM for a salary that's not amazing. After hearing on NPR that a construction worker in Denver, with 0 experience and no degree whatsoever makes about 15$ an hour, I got curious and I calculated how much I'm making per hour. Well, it's about 20$. With a PhD and 3+ year of postdoctoral training. You don't work in science for the money they tell you. Then you read a recent study showing that only about 2% of postdoc actually have the chance of becoming a professor. So you don't do science for your career too apparently. Theoretically academia gives you a lot of "flexibility", but this flexibility has to deal with the fact that you spend 50-60 h per week at work and you're not really supposed to take days off.
Great staff and great benefits
Dining Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 12, 2018
I worked at UC San Diego for nearly 16 years. During that time I advanced my career and had wonderful support of my coworkers and supervisors. The benefits are wonderful and they support a work life balance. Having a daughter, this was very important to me.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Difficult to advance.
Development Assistant (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAOctober 25, 2018
Scripps Institution of Oceanography Development office is a great place to work. I start my day at 7:30am and work with an office of 11 supporting 4-5 frontline fundraisers. My supervisor is supportive of my work and frequently gives me challenging projects to work on. The hardest part of the job is being only one person and being the office manager sometimes there is not enough me to go around. The most enjoyable parts of my job are: working on the ocean and the people I work with.
Overall a great place to work
Events (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CASeptember 29, 2018
Great campus culture; proud to work here
Collaborative atmosphere
Wonderful colleagues
Interesting, even fun, work (never a dull moment)
Incredible, inspiring students
Pros
Above, plus great benefits
Cons
Low pay, not many opportunities for advancement
New Clueless Managers
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CADecember 13, 2018
Information Technology has a few new managers who rule by fear and intimidation. Nobody cares about the excessive attrition. I heard that just about one entire department complained to HR, and since the manager wasn't breaking any laws, HR couldn't do anything. It is a sweat shop. Long hours, no breaks, lots of off-hours: middle of the night and weekend work. Pay is less than private industry for the same level of work. People don't want to help each other. A lot of people want to keep things like "how-to's" to themselves, and let everyone else flounder. If you work on the new attractive technology then you are golden, but not everyone gets the plumb assignments. You'd think they'd get a clue that people are dropping like flies, yet management doesn't even get consultants to fill in. The workload keeps increasing, with less people to do the work. It feels like being set up to fail. Management are idiots. They make us track our time in THREE different places at detailed levels. They recently hired a new CIO who brought all his buddies from a midwestern university (where they have the Kentucky Derby) and they are all taking huge salaries, while all the people doing the work are getting squat.
Pros
Someday leaving
Cons
Read the review
Great learning experience
Community Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJuly 5, 2018
This was a great place to learn an abundance about the field. I met plenty of exceptional upper level people. I got to learn about research and many other topics. The only downfall was that there could be at times, a lack of knowing what the program expectations are (esp considering some positions are grant based and they have specific requirements). The environment is very calm and the fast vs slow pace varies by seasons (due dates etc). The benefits are really great. The commute to La Jolla, however was horrific and expensive. The traffic can be up to 2-3 hours one way on all freeways. I was putting gas at least twice a week, had to purchase tires as well and change the brakes. Oh, and you need a parking permit which is pretty expensive.
Pros
staff appreciation events, free learning meetings, webinars, role models
Cons
commute, parking cost, traffic, lack of raise, low pay
High volume of work and very time consuming to hire staff
Accountant III (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 2, 2019
Overall a great place to work. Many employees, so can feel that what you do does not really matter. Work was very repetive and payroll system was antiquated.
Pros
Excellent Benefits and a lot of job security
Cons
pay was less than working for a for profit company
The Principle Investigator is your pay god
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 13, 2018
The hardest part of working for UCSD is that salary raises are non-existent. Most salaries are paid by research grants, and PI's would rather use any surplus of cash to supplement other research that lack funding; rather than raising the study teams pay. Every PI is different so takes this review with a grain of salt. However, from talking with other research coordinators, I have found that pay raises are few and far between. I had a BS in biological sciences and making $30,000/ year for three years before I left
Pros
Great Benefits/ health insurance
Cons
Pay raise is based on grant money, so expect no raises. PI's would rather have more money for research than improve employee's pay
Not bad for a TA
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 10, 2018
Compensation with health and dental and tuition remission makes this a great job while getting your Masters. I wish other TAs would take this seriously as the people that actually care about the students learning have to make up for their laziness/inadequacy. Other than that its a pretty decent job, especially in the math department as you have access to printing and all the small office supplies that you could need.
Pros
Good teachers, good benefits, rarely exceed 12 hrs a week
Cons
May not get the same percentage each quarter as spots are competitive
Productive job with a comfortable setting
Enviromental services custodian (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 28, 2018
I worked as a housekeeper working at UCSD Hillcrest and I enjoyed working there because you are on your own able to focus on your job duties, its a job for self-starters.
Pros
benefits, pay, union
Cons
miscommunication, poor management
BUs Driver
Shuttles Driver (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAOctober 10, 2018
UCSD Shuttles is a fun place to work for any undergraduates. Great work culture of supportive full-time and part-time drivers. best job for flexible time with future benefits of having a class-b license.
Could be so much more
Staff Nurse, CN II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 11, 2018
An excellent teaching hospital. However, management and leadership do not follow their own set mission and values in the way staff is treated. Physicians are allowed to behave badly. There is no consistency, they will tell you to do this but then don't back you up when you follow the rules and try to enforce them with physicians and other staff. An enormous Filipino influence and obvious favoritism. My co-workers are the best part of the job but we all feel helpless to facilitate change.
Pros
excellent retirement
Cons
no tuition assistance and terrible upper management leadership
Learning and Career Growth Opportunity is Abundant
Staff Research Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 30, 2018
A typical day at UCSD depends on the Principal Investigator.
I learned many lab techniques and management skills.
The management is helpful and kind, (depending on your PI.)
The workplace culture is diverse and supportive.
The hardest part of the job is to be unintimidated by all the well- educated colleagues.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the freedom and independence in how you manage your time.
Pros
forefront basic research; and the accessible libraries
Cons
pay is far from competitive and does not reward education for staff research associates
Hard to advance in career
Staff Research Associate II (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAApril 4, 2018
It's very hard to find opportunities for advancement, and pay raises or promotions are very hard to come by. Research positions must be represented by a union which I've found to hinder opportunities for pay-raises due to the constant disputes and non-existing contract between the union and the university. Management lacks proper training and the ability to deal with certain situations involving the well-being and mental health of employees.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Inexperienced management, difficulty to be promoted
management
Interim Student Services Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 18, 2018
Management is unfair, unreliable, and selfish for the most part. UCSD offers good benefits. Most offices micro manage employees. As a temporary employee, I had good and bad experiences at UCSD.
Collaborative environment
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 20, 2018
Typical day was relaxed.

I learned all of my useful professional skills there.

Management was fair.

The work place culture was very welcoming and fun

The hardest part of the job was trying not to take it home with you.
Love/Hate
Senior Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMarch 6, 2018
Awesome place to work. Great location (near the beach). Great Benefits. Flexible hours. Can find experts in the field all over the place. Great Work/Life Balance.

On the other hand - If you are staff then forget about getting paid a decent salary. Forget about advancement (no one leaves). Collaboration outside of your group is minimal! Groups are always hurting for money and will not share time/people/resources. Some of the professors are arrogant and will belittle you for no reason (thinking your job is easy/simple compared to theirs).

The end product is always a published paper. All the grief, pain, time, and energy is spent to produce a 3-6 page paper that will be published in an obscure journal.

Some projects are slow as molasses. Months before money is allocated for equipment/work.

If you are young - this is NOT the place to be. You cannot live in San Diego with the amount they will pay you. Forget about buying a house - it is impossible.
Pros
Awesome environment
Cons
Lots of professors with an emperor complex
Fast paced - High call volume
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 9, 2018
Working through a temp agency, I took a position as a Customer Service Rep where I was able to get a full time position at UCSD

UCSD is a great place to work. I find that the environment is always up beat and friendly. Management is always educating us on the changes in this industry making sure that we have all the tools needed to be efficient in our jobs.

Being on the phone all day may not work for everyone. I sometimes get yelled at. I like that I get to speak with our patients and educate them on how the insurance processed their claims or assist them with taking payments. I also love when I find an error and can send the claims back for reprocessing - making the patients day.

I think the hardest part of my job is when I have to speak with a deceased patients family member.
Pros
Great Work Environment
Cons
Not alot of parking

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UC San Diego. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at UC San Diego.

Powered by Comparably