UC San Diego
72Above average
4.2
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

UC San Diego Employee Reviews

United States1,160 reviews
Found 1,160 reviews matching the search
Working for UCSd is a great. It is very family friendly and willing to overachiever everyone expectations. They give you ways to achieve goals and grow within the company.
Very professional real estate leadership and staff. Interesting and diverse real estate projects to work on. Great work environment and office location.
Great place to work if you can handle seniority based advancement ,at least for the technical position that I work your prior knowledge and experience only counts for 25% of your advancement.but overall very fair towards employee’s rights and equality.more than many other institutions.
became to political. No support from supervisor. All everyone cares about was unions. Even students suffered. JSOE cared about numbers not students. The campus even was more worried about how many and not value.
Not worth working for an organization that ultimately doesn’t support the staff which in the end falls onto the patients and patient care they are receiving. Most of staff unhappy hate their job, i am one of them. Unsafe, unsupported toxic environment to work. If I could leave easily I would.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
I worked in the UC San Diego Health marketing department, web and marketing technology side. The pay was commensurate with the job description, however my job morphed into something much bigger, once word spread that I had a larger skill set than required. I'm not the the type to avoid a vacuum,when the need is there, so I probably set myself up for doing to much for too little. But it was always enjoyable. I would frequently end up on projects with IT teams outside my own department. But I can't really blame that on them, and I don't regret it. Health Marketing had amazing leadership, the people were talented and the pay would have been fair had I stuck to my job description. One should note that UC has a pension plan for career hires, so you will take an extra hit when it comes to deductions. But if you are looking for a true pension, UC is a wonderful place to commit to if you want to stay there until retirement. And opportunities to move from departments and to other another UC campus for career growth does exists. I'm now at UC Irvine.
Learned a lot of skills. Met a lot of interesting people. A nice environment and I enjoyed helping a lot of people. They had a lot of resources and research opportunities.
Academic salaries are low compared to private sector in the area, but they have great health benefits. There are many interesting labs and research projects. There are many opportunities to collaborate and learn.
I felt like I really succeeded when I was offered an opportunity to work at UCSD. The staff is top of the healthcare world. There are great minds that make UCSD a great place to work.
Pros
good pay, good learning environment
Cons
bad parking, long hours
Awesome work environment to work in great staff great people! While at UCSD SHS I assisted in administering vaccines, front desk receptionist, minor procedures and being a team player.
Great managers, program directors, staff in general. The work is impactful and intentional. I was able to build my own schedule in consideration of my classes. Being student staff was amazing
Assigned to one campus, but trained in all. Building relationships with the future .Sometimes they can be overly sensitive, but you just have to be understanding that most college aged kids are not experienced in the REAL WORLD.
Pros
Great pay and better benefits.
Cons
Grave yard exclusive
I love working at UCSD
Very good company with excellent pay

Every positions is unionized. Awesome and very family oriented. Good place to work. Good atmosphere

I had to retire due my health situation but I strange recommend working here
Work environment is extremely disorganized, inefficient and disgusting. There is no clear objective to tasks being assigned-just making workarounds around workarounds. I felt frustrated with management and entire organization due to lack of standards/structure/goals. Prime example: Clairemont location where empty mold-covered cubicles (with rodents living in the ceiling) at the center of the office were used as dumping grounds for all admin and accounting files. Peers are entitled and management walks around complaining how bad things are but don’t do anything about it.
If you're looking for job security, this is an awesome place to work. Great benefits! The most enjoyable part of the job for me is helping students find the financial resources they need to pay for their education. Knowing that we're helping students succeed is very rewarding.
I have been lab assistant for Chemistry Teaching Lab. This is a part time work-study job, and I enjoy work most of the time. There are daily and routine task that I have to finish, and other than that there are not many chance to learn new thing since there are no extra work for the lab.
I was performing the same processes over and over again. The benefit to working in a UCSD lab for no pay was to get my first job experience in college. After that, I was stagnant and working all alone.
Great lab equipment and training plans for newly hired. Very friendly coworkers and great management style that encourages people to work more efficiently.
UCSD cares more about making money, than about its workers or patients. Their rules are made to protect UCSD, no one else. I left because I injured my back from doing patient care work and then they retaliated against me when I returned from six months of disability. The only things good about working there is the union protection and the pension.
Student job which was awesome and helped me to learn a lot about supervision of different aspects of larger programs and to balance work and school life.
The workplace is very interesting, depending on which position you get, which can range from research environment to interactive experiences. Of course, it is manageable, as most are often part time and flexible around a school schedule that changes from quarter to quarter.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at UC San Diego. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
Women's ratings

3.2Fairygodboss Score

40%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.