UC San Diego

UC San Diego Employee Reviews

United States1,264 reviews

Found 1,264 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,275 reviews
diegoucsanstudentuniversitycampuslabparking

Fun work environment with really nice people

A typical day at work as a bus driver is standard. You either drive your route or you are waiting to drive a route if you are the back up driver. Everything is organized very well with a strong team for management. There really is no hard part for the job once you got your commercial license.

Disorganized

Job is very easy and consistent but management is high disorganized and enforcement of rules and policies is very inconsistent. Two people can do the same thing but get wildly different consequences just depending on the day.

UC San Diego insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

One of the best Jobs I've ever had

This job not only works with your school schedule but it looks amazing on your resume. Working with the latino community and encouraging students to go to college and helping them get there is super self fulfilling.

A good place to work and learn

Management prefers that you learn most of the workflows and way that they use Software. Training Materials are available for you to review.Workspace is available and comfortable.

Pros

Excellent staff

Cons

Depending on your job role

Good place for grad school

La Jolla is a great place to live. University has tons of exciting research going on. A lot of the rest will deoend in the department and particular advisor you pick

Great experience

As a student, the hours were very flexible. Mostly worked from home and only needed to go into the office once a week. Very supportive and caring supervisor.

Great place to work and learning opportunities always present

Co-workers were the best part of the job. Team driven environment. Training opportunities available, management supportive of long-term career goals, but advancement is difficult outside of bedside role d/t limited positions.

Overall it is a great place to work at. The city is very nice, especially if you have kids.Management depends on individual cases, but overall I haven't heard of bad cases.

Pros

self control

Cons

pay is not high

Flexible to students needs and schedules

Working here was fun and flexible to work with a student's schedule. There were career development fairs and paid trainings. The culture can be very easygoing as long as the work is done well and promptly. Events require more attention and stricter standards of professionalism.

Watch your back-trust no one- keep your mouth shut if you have a different opinion and walk the line

A mind-numbing job with rebellious and shiftless, unionized staff. Upper management will throw Mid-level to the wolves The UCSD Unionized Shop system can take a perfectly skilled and talented person and turn them into someone who tries harder to get out of working and to taking time off, than doing their jobs as they were hired to do. Good place to get a disability classification and work on light duty. Not all of them of course, there are many honest, excellent staff members that do succeed at what they do. So Sad the bad apples are so numerous

Great Experience

As a student TA, I was given an amazing opportunity and gained great experience and responsibility despite being so young. I still would argue that the pay is not enough, but it is comparatively decent. People are usually very accommodating and helpful.

Good student/work life balance

The job offered hybrid work, allowing us to come into the office whenever it was convenient for us. The community was great and we were often encouraged to put our school work before the duties of the position. Perfect part-time job for a student!

Pros

Make your own schedule

Cons

Capped pay

Great place to go to graduate school

UCSD is filled with world class faculty and San Diego is an amazing city. As a PhD student, your experience can vary drastically depending on your advisor, however there are many brilliant and kind mentors at the University and surrounding institutions.

below avg salary - but good job security

they pay adjuncts next to nothingpay per class get cut out of nowhereenrollments are haphazard from quarter to quarter. Would be nice to have a union to protect wages and improve benefits.

Flexible hours and independent work format

The management give me a lot of independence and trust me to do my work well. While I do not feel close with my coworkers, I do think that building a community here is best done if you are willing to engage with the company.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Strong push to be independent in work

Great place to work and learn

Working as a TA at UCSD was a satisfying part of my early career and guided me to the field of education. The team was supportive and energized, and there was excellent management.

Good salary and flexible work arrangements.

Can be a great place to work depending on your role, department, person you work for. Salaries, especially mid-management and above, much higher than other public employers in the area. Most office employees are hybrid, some remote. When you do have to go in, you're pretty close to the ocean. All that said, many aspects of the work are controlled at the UC system-wide level and can have negative down stream impacts. Things are also constantly changing and shifting and never really seem to settle in, which can cause the work envirnment to feel unstable and unpredicatable.

Pros

Salary, flexible schedules, prime work location, work life balance, great people to work with.

Cons

Constantly changing and shifting work environment, subpar HRIS and technological systems that create a lot of issues, especially when trying to implement all of the new initiatives.

Great environment

Great place to work, management can use a little help to show more empathy to employees. Really good benefits, pay is above average. I would go back to this company if I lived in the area.

Run away

Highly complex environment with minimal documentation. Different departments do things different ways. No clear lines of responsibility. Unclear path for career growth.

My Favorite Job

This was my first job after graduating from UCSD, and still my favorite. Working with the students was amazing! Great staff, location, culture, and benefits.

Pros

Students, coworkers, location, benefits

Cons

Minimal room for growth with a a B.S. degree

Great place to work.

Great place to work as a nurse or APP. Lots of different locations and departments to keep you intrigued. UCSD needs to improve on retaining the nurses who advance to NP as most of these staff members have to leave UCSD to get experience. UCSD doesn’t like to hire new graduate NPs, but they hire a lot of new graduate RNs.

Common questions about UC San Diego

Answered by current and former employees at UC San Diego

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UC San Diego. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.9
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight