UC San Diego Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Not bad for a TA
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 10, 2018
Compensation with health and dental and tuition remission makes this a great job while getting your Masters. I wish other TAs would take this seriously as the people that actually care about the students learning have to make up for their laziness/inadequacy. Other than that its a pretty decent job, especially in the math department as you have access to printing and all the small office supplies that you could need.
Pros
Good teachers, good benefits, rarely exceed 12 hrs a week
Cons
May not get the same percentage each quarter as spots are competitive
Challenging and educational environment
Student (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJuly 9, 2018
UCSD offered me a lot of perspective on life outside the small town bubble I knew for most of my life. It pushes students to constantly better themselves, regardless of background.
Fun if you enjoy working with students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJuly 9, 2018
Working as a teaching assistant in the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department was great as you get to work with a lot of excited and determined students.
Not a reliable position
Administrative Assistant (Temp) (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJuly 9, 2018
I have been a temporary employee at USCD for over two years. The hardest part was starting new positions with lack of guidance. However, I learned a lot with the different posistions.
Pros
Learned a lot from various positions
Cons
Lack of work
Productive and focused
Community Service Officer (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJuly 5, 2018
The job was simple, as long as you maintained a decent level of focus and were a responsible person. There was an opportunity to advance. I took it and and now a supervisor of the program.
Great learning experience
Community Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJuly 5, 2018
This was a great place to learn an abundance about the field. I met plenty of exceptional upper level people. I got to learn about research and many other topics. The only downfall was that there could be at times, a lack of knowing what the program expectations are (esp considering some positions are grant based and they have specific requirements). The environment is very calm and the fast vs slow pace varies by seasons (due dates etc). The benefits are really great. The commute to La Jolla, however was horrific and expensive. The traffic can be up to 2-3 hours one way on all freeways. I was putting gas at least twice a week, had to purchase tires as well and change the brakes. Oh, and you need a parking permit which is pretty expensive.
Pros
staff appreciation events, free learning meetings, webinars, role models
Cons
commute, parking cost, traffic, lack of raise, low pay
Always a different project to work on. A great place to grow and challenge yourself
Community Health Program Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 3, 2018
I worked under 4 PhDs and loved the lively discussions about the field of outcome studies and reporting we did on behalf of County of San Diego, Mental Health Division and other clients.
Pros
Variety or work
Cons
Someone has to do the "grunt work" of envelope, stuffing, data-entry and xeroxing!
Great place to work if there is funding
Senior App Developer, Family Medicine (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJuly 1, 2018
I worked in an environment non-IT though my job required various points of IT knowledge to facilitate infrastructure and alot of computer programming. If there are departments that do not understand technology, working in managing all of day-to-day applications and technology will not be appreciated. Also, the jobs are not secure because research is soft-money and depends on the skill of the grant writer.
Motivating and fun at times
Assistant Dean of Student Affairs (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJune 30, 2018
In a tiypical day I am adjudicating non-academic misconduct cases,
assessing the needs of constituent student populations.
Counseling individuals and groups on personal, interpersonal, cultural and academic problems, referring, as needed, to appropriate campus services.
Pros
The students are amazing.
Great environment for a research career
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 29, 2018
Very good benefits: 24 days of vacation/year, 12 sick days/year, annual salary raises.
Easy access to great resources allows for smoth and comfortable development of research project.
Collaborative environment between different groups
Very type B environment. Student centric
LIEUTENANT (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 27, 2018
UC San Diego is an excellent place to work with outstanding benefits. Housing, Dining and Hospitality in particular. I would recommend UC San Diego as a place of employment to anyone
TA/ mentor
Mentor/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJune 25, 2018
Assist students of English, Math, and basic social skills.
● Was given two students to mentor and then assist throughout the quarter
● Planned with teacher the upcoming events and exciting methods to lecture
● Helped in cleaning and straightening of classroom on a regular basis
Completed 40 hours for 10 weeks at host school site
• Academically helping students during class time and assisting through break times, field
trips, mentoring students in need of additional help
Pros
Children make it worth it
Cons
Temporary job
Gran ambiente de trabajo en centro de excelencia
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 25, 2018
Gran ambiente para desarrollar un proyecto de investigación.
- Condiciones laborales: Buen número de días de vacaciones, flexibilidad horaria y beneficios equilibrados
- Ambiente: Gran cantidad de científicos de varias nacionalidades, ambiente cooperativo, oportunidades para establecer relaciones y colaboraciones
- Excelencia: Ambiente competitivo, con grandes recursos a disposición del investigador.
- Entorno: San Diego, un marco inigualable, ciudad viva y estimulante, excelente clima, y gran oferta de ocio tanto cultural como de medio ambiente.
Great Organization
Clinical Research Associate II (Outpatient) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 22, 2018
Awesome place to work. The staff was always great to work with. They believe in education training for advancement opportunities. I had great supervisors and an awesome team.
Fast paced and highly competitive
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJune 18, 2018
People from all over the world come here to learn from some of the best minds the country has to offer. In an affluent and competitive neighborhood which may yield a lot of stress but if you are passionate about what you seek to do it will be worth it.
Fun and easy place to work while going to college
Bookstore Customer Service (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJune 18, 2018
Customer service at the bookstore is a flexible job. You help manage all the other cashiers to run the store on a day to day basis. You are the hub for all customers to come to for help.
Great research position
Staff Research Associate, Pulmonary Division (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 16, 2018
I worked for in a great lab, for a great PI and did a lot of great work. Unfortunately, the grant I was working on expired and the alternative funding that was lined up fell through.
Unfair Organization/cut throat
Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 15, 2018
This organization is large, but, goes through CEO often. Very much the good ole boy mentality and vindictive people in leadership roles. They keep you there with promise of pension and thus why many stay longer than they should.
Pros
Pension if you stay long enough
Cons
Vindictive, inexperienced managers, unfair dealings
The Principle Investigator is your pay god
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 13, 2018
The hardest part of working for UCSD is that salary raises are non-existent. Most salaries are paid by research grants, and PI's would rather use any surplus of cash to supplement other research that lack funding; rather than raising the study teams pay. Every PI is different so takes this review with a grain of salt. However, from talking with other research coordinators, I have found that pay raises are few and far between. I had a BS in biological sciences and making $30,000/ year for three years before I left
Pros
Great Benefits/ health insurance
Cons
Pay raise is based on grant money, so expect no raises. PI's would rather have more money for research than improve employee's pay
fun place to work
Cardiac surgical floor, RN (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 10, 2018
I have not worked there for over a decade.
I worked 3 nights/week-as a travel nurse. I learned a lot about cardiac problems and treatments. I loved the area and that it was a small quaint hospital

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UC San Diego. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

83out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at UC San Diego.

Powered by Comparably