UC San Diego Employee Reviews

job culture
Other (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 25, 2018
when you are an administrative assistant things are better than when you are a boss, there is too much entitlement and laziness.
Location is great, in front of the beach, unless you work at the medical center
Typical Day
WEIGHTROOM SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  San DiegoMay 17, 2018
This is an alright company to work for. Typically my boss was very unorganized and there was very unclear communication throughout my three years working.
flexible
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMay 12, 2018
Very flexible hours as a student worker. I decide when I come in to work and as a student I benefit a lot from working in an office with access to printer.
Student worker and UCSD Library
Facilities Worker/ Cleaner (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 8, 2018
As a facilities worker, the days were always different. Some really slow, others extremely busy. On average, the work is moderate amount. Lots of heavy lifting and pushing. Very physical job
Secure employment
Space & Facilities Project Manager for VCHS (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 8, 2018
I am surprised at how damaged some of the managers here are. You only expect to see this stuff in the private sector. Promotions from within happen occasionally
UCSD is a place with great opportunities.
Student (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMay 4, 2018
Its a place ideally for driven individuals to pursue tier careers. UCSD has a vast range of opportunities for individuals to make career advancements rapidly once they have have a goal in mind.
Not a team atmosphere.
Medical Claims Insurance Processor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 2, 2018
I worked for UCSD twice. The first time through the temp agency was great. Great supervisors, co-workers and managers until new managers came in. The atmosphere changed and there was no coherent work ethics with providing updated contract information from different insurances.
The second time I worked for UCSD through a temp agency most of the same co-workers were still there and it was great being back. However, the manager was unwilling to provide feedback on the mistakes we made if any. And stated "My department is a click, your either in or out."
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Not enough feedback on work production.
Great Place for Science
Assistant Professor of Medicine (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 30, 2018
UCSD is a great campus, with many opportunities to collaborate with some of the best researchers in the world. It is a great place to work, with good insurances, pension, etc...
IA position at UCSD Biology
IA/TA/Grader (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAApril 30, 2018
A great temporary position for any biology student at UCSD. The pay is decent for the amount of time/effort required, although work is limited to 10 hours a week. A great teaching and learning experience, decently helpful career-wise.
Co-workers were great - management wasn't very detailed
Village Campus Senior Custodian (Flex Team) (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAApril 30, 2018
I liked working with the people there with the same job title however management wasn't very detailed in their reports which made improvement on my work ethic fairly difficult.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Very precise on break times
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAApril 24, 2018
Great place to work. They understand that your education is your primary responsibility and will work with you to ensure that it does not get compromised.
Great work
Senior Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 23, 2018
I loved working here. If I had the opportunity to go back to this company I would. It was an amazing company to work for. Hours were great and steady. Management was great as well.
a good job for UCSD students
Math Grader (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAApril 19, 2018
I love the way that UCSD provide students chances to take part in the job. Our work is to grade the homework or quiz for each course, which is beneficial for us to gain the experience.
Graduate School.
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAApril 19, 2018
I work here as a graduate student. It is hard work, but I have had good support through my community and advisers. At the end of the day, my research is my research.
good working place
Post-doctoral researcher (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 12, 2018
You can learn the most advanced technologies here and advised by the best professors in the world.
UCSD Skaggs School of Pharmacy is one of the best pharmacy schools in California
UC San Diego
Program Representative (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 10, 2018
Nice campus. To be kind, staff parking is rough. Good people, but pretty high burnout rate. Salaries are less than "real world" rates. Good benefits. Lots of main campus events.
Ucsd la jolla, ca
OnBase Consultant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 10, 2018
I love San Diego, CA. UCSD is a great place to work and live. I was only doing a remote contract but if I lived in the area I would have begged UCSD management to hire me full-time
Had a good time
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAApril 10, 2018
I really enjoyed wmy time as an instructional assistant because it helped me interact with many students. Meeting lots of people with novel ways of thinking is what made it so great.
Learned more skills in lab then most of my classes
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 9, 2018
A secure job with close friends. Most people are friendly and hard working. Most principle investigators desire to know you and work with you and your skill set. Show a desire to learn and grow as a researcher and most are willing to help you along the way.
Challenging yet rewarding
Contractor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 9, 2018
I enjoyed the diversity in the staff and the collaboration achieved between departments. There was opportunity for advancement. Was given professional development through training. Encouraged and aided to acquire certifications.
Pros
Never a dull moment
Cons
Tough balance of family life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UC San Diego. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight