UC San Diego Employee Reviews

Happy Employee
ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER II (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CANovember 12, 2018
Great place to work! Great resources, pleasant coworkers and great location. The campus is beautiful with great areas to eat and shop. San Diego is a great city and the university is a great place to work.
Weekend Night Shift Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 12, 2018
This hospital always has the newest in technology and medical interns who are interested to learn along with you. They are concerned about their employees and pay is more than fair. Lots of employee incentives are offered here.
Pros
Learning hospital
Cons
fast paced environment
Excellent experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 11, 2018
University of California San Diego gives me much excellent experience! I learnt a lot of skills to build my career. I strongly recommend it to other employees.
Could be so much more
Staff Nurse, CN II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 11, 2018
An excellent teaching hospital. However, management and leadership do not follow their own set mission and values in the way staff is treated. Physicians are allowed to behave badly. There is no consistency, they will tell you to do this but then don't back you up when you follow the rules and try to enforce them with physicians and other staff. An enormous Filipino influence and obvious favoritism. My co-workers are the best part of the job but we all feel helpless to facilitate change.
Pros
excellent retirement
Cons
no tuition assistance and terrible upper management leadership
Sixth College is a great place to work as an RA
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CANovember 8, 2018
Sixth College is arguably the most radical/liberal college, in terms of their residential life. Sixth College Residential life is very inclusive and treats its employees like real people.
collaborative work place
Passport Acceptance Agent/Clerical Support (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 7, 2018
the manager is great but heads of the department need to have better communication. The harde4st part of the job is having to deal with angry customers.
Flexible and fun place to work at
Core Bio Services Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CANovember 5, 2018
I went in and answered phone calls for one job and maintained labs cleaned at another job. The workplace culture is supportive. I enjoyed having a flexible schedule whenever something school related came up.
Good place to work while I'm school
Driver/Dispatcher/Trainer (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CANovember 5, 2018
Very flexible hours for when you are in school. They have paid trianing to get your commercial license. When I worked there, I had some of the best coworkers
Nice campus with a lot of food option and not too far from the ocean
Postdoctoral Scholar (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 2, 2018
UCSD is a nice place to work if we like working in a student place. The campus is wide and close to the ocean. It is surrounded by houses and residency complex so not much to do around beside going to work.
Productive job with a comfortable setting
Enviromental services custodian (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 28, 2018
I worked as a housekeeper working at UCSD Hillcrest and I enjoyed working there because you are on your own able to focus on your job duties, its a job for self-starters.
Pros
benefits, pay, union
Cons
miscommunication, poor management
Development Assistant (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAOctober 25, 2018
Scripps Institution of Oceanography Development office is a great place to work. I start my day at 7:30am and work with an office of 11 supporting 4-5 frontline fundraisers. My supervisor is supportive of my work and frequently gives me challenging projects to work on. The hardest part of the job is being only one person and being the office manager sometimes there is not enough me to go around. The most enjoyable parts of my job are: working on the ocean and the people I work with.
Productive and fun place with ping pong table
Heat Transfer Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 25, 2018
This place is so fun to work at. For a student who has expensive tuition, it pays the bills, but not enough to afford living in the area, so it only figuratively pays the bills.
Collaborative and competitive
Academic transition Counselor (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAOctober 24, 2018
Really nice staff, i worked as an undergrad with OASIS and i was given assistance at every step of the way. No questions were left unanswered and the job schedule is very flexible for student.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
no cons
Good temporary job
Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 23, 2018
Assigned work to do from supervisor. Work on your in the office and contact supervisor whenever a problem or question arises. A lot of data managing and you have to be careful working with data.
Pros
Break anytime
Cons
Sitting at desk for longs periods of time. Staring at screen for long period of time.
UCSD medical
Speech Pathologist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92103October 22, 2018
Enjoyable place to work. Teaching environment. People want to learn and improve their skills. Patient care is good. Only downside is pay. Benefits help.
Hard to tell
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 20, 2018
There are many different jobs and possible positions at UCSD and therefore it is difficult to guage how this entire organization is while I had only one job.
Ucsd
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAOctober 18, 2018
UCSD
Every thing was Great, except life expenses.
The living cost is too high for the postdoc fellows.
However, still, the place is very good.
Especially, Weather, Peoples are great!!
management
Interim Student Services Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 18, 2018
Management is unfair, unreliable, and selfish for the most part. UCSD offers good benefits. Most offices micro manage employees. As a temporary employee, I had good and bad experiences at UCSD.
proffesional
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAOctober 17, 2018
My day started with a morning day meeting,we were given the rooms that had to be cleaned afterwards we drove in a van with about five other co-workers to our facility and began to work.It was fun and exciting the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people.
student
Student (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 17, 2018
expensive to live in san diego and jobs at UCSD do not pay compare to similar jobs in private sector. They offer good health benefits and other incentives to compensate for it though.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UC San Diego. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at UC San Diego.

Powered by Comparably