UC Santa Cruz Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
nice place
Student Life and University Guide (Current Employee) –  Admissions Office (Red Cookhouse)April 6, 2018
nice place to work. I enjoy giving guided tours to students and to their parents and I enjoy memorizing so much information about UC Santa Cruz. It is a rewarding job.
lots of internal politics
Residential Assistant (RA) (Current Employee) –  UC Santa CruzMarch 27, 2018
it looks great from afar but there's a lot of internal office politics going on that significantly hinders the collaborative work all the staff and students are trying to achieve
Pros
relaxing campus
Rewarding
Telephone Outreach Caller (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAMarch 12, 2018
The call center can be tough as you face rejection every single day. It can be discouraging getting yelled at, or hung up on. It is rewarding when you are able to provide scholarship funds for students in need.
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAFebruary 25, 2018
Currently a Graduate Teaching Assistant at UC Santa Cruz. Have been for couple of quarters. Pays decent, workload depends on course. Get part tuition fee waiver and health insurance.
grat place to work
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAFebruary 21, 2018
I really enjoyed my time at uc santa cruz. it was a great place to work. I would not have left if i did not need to come back home to take care of family.
As fun as working for a college can get.
Digital Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CANovember 25, 2017
UCSC is a pretty laid-back place with very little pressure. There's not much room to grow, but if you like stability, this is the place to be. Good choice of benefits, not the greatest pay, but it's enough.
Good Workplace
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAOctober 18, 2017
University of Californa, Santa Cruz is an excellent workplace and has understanding staff. The coworkers are helpful and supportive. In terms of workload, the work you do is as described in the job description.
A Great Place to Work as a Student
Library Circulation Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAAugust 23, 2017
I spent three years working at the UCSC libraries as a student and cannot recommend it enough. The staff and management clearly explain your duties and goals as an employee and make you feel at home with the staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting fellow students, faculty, and patrons with locating their desired research materials - which ultimately taught me to be a patient listener/communicator!
Pros
Quiet work environment, friendly staff, and flexible hours.
Cons
Primarily a part-time student job and not always possible to transition into full-time
Great Connection
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAAugust 18, 2017
I enjoy working at this institution; there are friendly people, supportive faculty and well trained staff. I would recommend this place over other UCs
Fun place to work
Head Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAMay 2, 2017
I absolutely love working at the pool. This job offers a perfect balance between school and employment. My coworkers make every day on the job a pleasure.
Beautiful
Preventive Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAApril 21, 2017
The campus is beautiful and provides many opportunities for great jobs. The people are great to work with and the coffee shops are the best. Truly a fine institution.
Fun laboratory environment.
Microprocessor System Design Lab Tutor (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAMarch 22, 2017
The job was to be a tutor inside the lab for the class. Some days were slow, others were packed with work depending on how many students showed up and how many questions they had. Everyday was great though. Also graded work for the class.
Good experience
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAMarch 7, 2017
I was able to teach migrant worker children how to read and write in English, which was their second language. I was also in charge of a group of 10 tutors and write reports to our supervisors on what went on during a typical day at work.
Not the greatest
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAFebruary 12, 2017
Extreme favoritism present. Compensation not great. Convenient to live and work at same place, but this is really one of the only positives.
Excellent Engineering School
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJanuary 27, 2017
The Engineering school, although young, is very adaptive and the professors are very understanding. It offers great work/life balance as a researcher and there are many networking opportunities with the silicon valley on the other side of the hills.
Pros
Innovation, environment, work-life balance
Cons
Funding, competition
School Job
Student Life Intern & Intramural Sports Official (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJuly 15, 2016
Great Job while in school, I love my University they take great care of you, It was very fun and flexible. Great experience. The people who run the show really do a great job.
Pros
everything
Student run organization
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAApril 6, 2016
I participated as a member, secretary, and choreographer.
My peers were all great and a pleasure to work alongside with.
I learned what it takes to keep an organization up and running, budgeting, fundraising, etc.
I worked in a research laboratory on the Campus of UC Santa Cruz while I attended school there.
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJanuary 31, 2016
Primarily this was a place to make a little money between classes and studying. A major benefit to the job was working among academic professional and the tutorage they can provide. I was also able to do an independent study project, within the lab, and produce a data set that was added to a graduate level work to be presented at a scientific conference.
Pros
convenience to being a student at the college
Cons
A short term college job
Undergrad labs to start your carrer
Semiconductor Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CANovember 4, 2015
Do interesting research on cutting edge technology with some of the brightest in the industry. UCSC SCIPP is a powerhouse of particle physics. Learn from experts with opportunity to travel to conferences.
Pros
Great leadership. Friendly professors
Cons
No benefits. Low pay.
The Seymour Center is one of the most friendlies places I've have ever worked
Volunteer Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJuly 2, 2015
Supervisors and managers are very outgoing and friendly. The place is full of awesome volunteers who would not hesitate to talk to you.