UCLA Health Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Huge Disappointment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 9, 2018
No work-life balance. Managers shame or guilt-trip employees for taking sick or vacation days. Sick days are deducted from your vacation time for the first 24 hours. Salaries are based on the equity of the department and some departments are notorious for paying their employees the minimum rate of pay. Internal transfers are only offered a 5% increase above current salary, regardless of the scope of the position or relevant experience, therefore perpetuating low wages.

UCLA can be a great place to make connections. Some of the newer directors are open-minded and friendly while many of the directors who have been there 10+ years refuse to listen or accept new ideas, and have antiquated attitudes or ways of doing things.
Clock in, clock out
Employee (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 5, 2018
Typical government entity - most people come in to work their assigned hours and leave. Departments operate in silos from one another and navigating the system can be complicated. There are those who have worked here for decades, but most management level positions are now filled by outside hires.
Productive work place
Hospital Lab Tech (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 4, 2018
I really do love working here at UCLA. With them education is definitely a top priority to them. They are very flexible with our work schedule and also let us be with our families.
Love working with the staff and doctors there.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 2, 2018
Delivered direct patient care in telemetry unit. Responsibilities included phlebotomy, monitoring electronic equipment, and assistance with daily activities and hygiene. Responsible for recognizing and reporting changes in patient condition to nursing management and physicians. Maintained progress records in patient charts, assisted patients and family with discharge requirements. Excellent phlebotomy skills, on call to draw ‘difficult sticks’ on other floors, including pediatrics. Experience with difficult and combative patients, and patients on 72 hour holds.
Pros
Enjoy the people at work
Cons
Great environment to work in
Project Director, Staff Research Associate III (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 28, 2018
Coworkers were incredible people. My director gave me autonomy to carry out project goals and provided a supportive environment to achieve my career development goals. My work paid for some classes at UCLA extension and also offered other courses online through the UC Learning Center.
Pros
People, learning opportunities, growth
Cons
HR is a hassle
A close-knit environment and amazing learning experience
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 24, 2018
I couldn’t have asked for a better first job, with a supportive environment that taught me vital skills I would need to advance my career in scientific research. Everyone was friendly, and despite it being a lab, we always managed to make time for bonding outside of work and keeping the atmosphere light-hearted
Great Place to start a career
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJune 18, 2018
Due to the magnitude of the "UCLA" brand, this place can be very beneficial to the beginning of a career in health care. But due to the previously stated, this place can be a very stressful work environment. Surgeons are difficult to work with and at times rude. The benefits are what keep employees working here.
Great Pay for living in LA.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJune 18, 2018
UCLA offers good pay and great benefits.

Each clinic is different but if you can work where the whole staff isn't new, consider yourself lucky. New managers try extra hard to prove themselves, which can make for bad attitudes.

Down side would be that no location covers employee parking!
and everybody tries to stay hidden in the call center.

its a great Starter gig, but then try Cedars Sinai or USC Keck for a step up.
Pros
Good pay for Los Angeles
Cons
they keep opening clinics at the mall
Very fun to work.
Application Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 8, 2018
Love the work-life balance here. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Teamwork can be found every department and UCLA Health to me is one of the best environment to work.
You learn something new everyday
Transplant Financial Counselor (Current Employee) –  Westwood, CAJune 5, 2018
Working here in the Transplant department I have literally learned something new everyday when it comes to insurance benefits as well as different situations the patient may be going through.
Too many supervisors doing nothing but e mailing
PHLEBOTOMIST (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 30, 2018
UCLA was a great place to work however, due to poor management in the support services area. This caused many issues and misunderstandings. Never saw my supervisor actually “process a sample “
A good example of this is many employees of the support services area , when asked “do you feel comfortable asking our supervisor a question about our standard operational procedures”. Most of my c most of my coworkers said no they were not comfortable, following his advice . This is due to the fact that coworkers and I have never seen the supervisors actually put on the lab coat and do what we do, and process specimens ..
I feel to Gain the trust and commitment of your employees. You have to show, dedication and commitment to your employees. ( not talking down or belittling, listen to their concerns, and show your team that you’re willing to help out if necessary .
This shows your employees that you have respect for them and do not abuse the powers Of a supervisor.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Bad management, parking fee, traffic, union fees.
Great department, poor managment
RN Clinical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Agoura Hills, CAMay 29, 2018
UCLA Health is a fantastic company, I was impressed with their vision and philosophy in providing patient care. I believe they are an above average hospital. Unfortunately, for the Nurse Triage Department in Agoura Hills, the manager and supervisor are not well fit for their roles and do not seem to have the same ethics and morals that UCLA health holds. It is unfortunate, since the job itself is low stress, and rewarding. Some other cons: sitting all day, and little to no flexibility on hours worked.
Pros
great company, benefits
Cons
manager
A Productive place to work and Safe environment
Hospital Laboratory Technician II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 21, 2018
Great Health Care to work, its the best in the West Health Care that you can grow with I learned a lot, respectable people, a great training hospital, I learned a lot of different procedures in the laboratory as well as adjusting myself with different changes and good policies at work the surroundings, working with different cultures of employees with sense of respect, Physicians and most of the health care providers treated us with respect well organized.

I would say that the hardest part of my job is when not doing anything and not busy at times which happened very rarely. I enjoyed benefits given to me as an employee of UCLA Health Care like their Retirement Plan, Medical and Dental as well as Vision their 401K and 403. New employees treated with respect, and trained properly. Safe environment, well secured place to work, management treated us with respect with regards to your culture. Very Productive place to work.
Pros
paid breaks, paid overtime if needed
Cons
no discount for employee when buying at cafeteria for lunch
Amazing Job,Manager and Staff
Patient Access Service Representative/Admitting (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 16, 2018
Busy Every day patients coming from all over the world, out of state and out of the county for the best health care.
Learned how to multi task, work fast and always take care of the patients first.
Pros
Amazing Staff everyone works together.
Excellent Benefits
Patient Biller III (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 14, 2018
This organization provides excellent employee benefits including medical dental and vision, employees have worked here for years due to the employee benefits.
Great environment to work
Hospital lab tech II, pharmacy technician (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAMay 9, 2018
great place to work. Wonderful and friendly employees. All benefits are great. Plenty of resources. Long term employees that are content with their job.
Pros
Co workers
The best hospital that i worked with
Instrument tech (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAApril 28, 2018
UCLA have a very good retirement plan and benefits. I learned alot from decontamination to processing instruments. Professional co workers. Nurses and Surgeons are easy to deal with.
Pros
they let you take 45 minutes lunch
Cons
busy even weekends
Patient communication representative
Patient Communication Representative (Current Employee) –  Agoura Hills, CAApril 27, 2018
Serve as a resource and contact for information and services. Schedule and register a variety of appointments effectively and efficiently. Schedule for several departments across multiple locations. Serve as a liaison between patients and departmental staff by formulating messages and placing clinic calls when necessary. Maintain a high a level of customer service and a sense of urgency while speaking with patients and clinic staff. Provide proper phone etiquette while speaking with internal and external customers. Insurance and registration processing. Maintain a quality score of 80% and above on all calls
state run organization
Management Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 27, 2018
Spent many years from a patient escort entry level position and worked myself up to department head of multiple services. So there was room for advancement but a very political environment to work in
taking care of patient
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 27, 2018
take there vital signs when needed ,bathing,showering,bed bath bath,feeding dressing the sad part is listing to there sad stories,the good part is watching them get better

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UCLA Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

54out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at UCLA Health.

Powered by Comparably