UCLA Health Employee Reviews

Incompetent directors who use you to self promote
RN (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CANovember 22, 2018
Experienced an incompetent dishonest self promoting director who manipated staff issues and used managers as escape goat. Built layers of lies upon lies to self promote self.
Very political and dont know how to treat peopleoke human beings . Now hire cheapest labour and reduce benefits to cover incompetent acounting from past. I will take a lie detecto test on all of this
Pros
Pension plan free shoes every 6 m
Cons
Stupid directors who dont understand the work and want mangers to sell their lies
30 years in a flash
Staff/charge nurse (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 6, 2018
When I started ay UCLA in1986 I did not plan to stay more than 3 years. The people, the work, being at a teaching hospital kept me there. working in Neuro ICU was stimulating, challenging and at times harrowing. We had the most complicated patients with trauma, brain aneurysms and multi system failure. People ask how I stayed 30 years in one unit and the only answer is the staff. The smartest, hardest working team of MDs nurses, pharmacists, respiratory therapists and all the ancillary depts that keep us going.
Bad place to work...run don't walk away from this organization
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  David Geffen School of ManagementNovember 3, 2018
Management is terrible. They don't know what to do next, so they do nothing for a large paycheck.

Very few managers heading departments have a M.B.A. They are clueless on how to run a department or how to treat their employees.
They either micro manage or don't care one way or the other.
Completely incompetent. Terrible place to work.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Poor Management, no chance for advancement
Its a health care business that is focused on generating revenue
Physician Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90024September 29, 2018
UCLA is dedicated towards its mission in achieving excellency in health care research and education. Often these goals come at the cost of over working talented physicians and mistreating clinical and admin staff. You get great benefits here but often you have to come in with a strong head on your shoulders to overlook the pressures of the organization and focus solely on treating the patients' and promoting their wellness.
Great benefits and pay
PHYSICIAN SUPPORT REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 23, 2018
UCLA is a great place to work for; however, it's very tedious, STAFF is always on FMLA. A job duty of two candidates has to be done by one candidate. No growth opportunity!! VERY SAD!! The only perk of working at UCLA are the benefits and retirement plans.
Pros
Great health and retirement benefits
Cons
No growth opportunity, poor management skills, no flexible hours ( literally a 8 hour shift becomes 12 hour shift)
Inspiring place to work and learn
Clinical Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 30, 2018
While my responsibilities had a rather steep learning curve, the supervisors during training were exceptionally smooth and helpful. This position allowed me to further develop communication skills and working alongside patients and healthcare professionals in a fast paced environment. The nature of my position also allowed me to learn creativity and critical thinking when approaching problems.
Low pay job
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Westwood, CASeptember 7, 2018
Not a good experience at all very dysfunctional manager in my department always away and working from home. Staff doing the work and manager is getting the credit. Merits up to 10K for management and staff suffer with no merits or acknowledgement. Stressful environment and staff keeps shrinking doing more work with less.
Benefits
Cons
Pay inequity bonus merit pay inequity
No ones paying attention
AA III (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 18, 2018
It was a great place to work however recent changes to new payroll ie UCPath are scaring employees because of work standardization and some staff being transferred around to jobs not familiar with. Some departments give staff incentive awards while others don’t leaving a disparity for the hardworking staff disappointed because of their hardworking efforts go unnoticed.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Staff not recognized, management receive incentives for the staffs hard work
Great job for students on campus looking to earn some extra money while prioritizing your studies.
Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Westwood, CAAugust 25, 2018
Flexible schedule for student worker positions. Great experience for working in an office or clinical setting. Supportive culture both professionally and academically.
Pros
Ideal work-life balance for student worker positions while completing my undergraduate studies.
Cons
Sacrifice in pay from my previous position.
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 1, 2018
I loved working at UCLA Health: Head and Neck Surgery. This department has a positive working environment with a supportive management. UCLA Health gives you the opportunity to continuously learn and grow as a professional if people are willing to work hard for it.
Pros
Positive working culture
Cons
Parking

Want to know more about UCLA Health?

Ask a question
Administrative Assistant floater is a learning experience.
Administration Assistant III - Per Diem Floater (Current Employee) –  Various locationsOctober 24, 2018
As a floater I cover many offices with different duties. Every office is different but I always learn something new. It helps with my next assignments at other locations. I learn techniques that will aid my my work flow.
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Westwood, CAOctober 24, 2018
I worked graveyard shift, it was a lot of work, I hade a huge area to clean. I dust mopped a very big lobby, cleaned and restocked restrooms, shampooed carpet, trashed out offices, setup classrooms.
Pros
the employees would all work togeather and help each other out in need
Cons
late nite and alot of work
Meeting peopel from all walks of life UCLA
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Westwood, CAJuly 10, 2018
Being a Financial Stipend Registrar was eye opening. I met people from very wealthy to extremely poor and everything in between.

My role never was boring and I quickly learned the highs and lows of working in Los Angeles at such a well know medical facility.

I would recommend UCLA to anyone moving to L.A. California who loves to work with the public.

It was a wonderful experience for me that also allowed me to make life long friendships with several people. I know I stand strong with them in giving UCLA Medical Center a glowing acknowledgement in every respect.
Always busy and very stressful environment
Accountant III (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 1, 2018
Good place to work with excellent medical insurance, retirement program, annual merit increase and competitive pay, job security, lots of work, busy all day and sometimes need to work on weekends to get the job done but don’t expect recognition for working on weekend.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Work never ends, stressful environment
Huge Disappointment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 9, 2018
No work-life balance. Managers shame or guilt-trip employees for taking sick or vacation days. Sick days are deducted from your vacation time for the first 24 hours. Salaries are based on the equity of the department and some departments are notorious for paying their employees the minimum rate of pay. Internal transfers are only offered a 5% increase above current salary, regardless of the scope of the position or relevant experience, therefore perpetuating low wages.

UCLA can be a great place to make connections. Some of the newer directors are open-minded and friendly while many of the directors who have been there 10+ years refuse to listen or accept new ideas, and have antiquated attitudes or ways of doing things.
Love working with the staff and doctors there.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 2, 2018
Delivered direct patient care in telemetry unit. Responsibilities included phlebotomy, monitoring electronic equipment, and assistance with daily activities and hygiene. Responsible for recognizing and reporting changes in patient condition to nursing management and physicians. Maintained progress records in patient charts, assisted patients and family with discharge requirements. Excellent phlebotomy skills, on call to draw ‘difficult sticks’ on other floors, including pediatrics. Experience with difficult and combative patients, and patients on 72 hour holds.
Pros
Enjoy the people at work
good environment
Administrative Assistant II/Accounting (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 6, 2018
A typical at work ,was getting all the documents that I needed to complete my task for the day and following up on the things that was coming in on the same day that needed my attention.
Pros
good learning experience
Cons
always trying to get things done
Senior Administrative Analyst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 5, 2018
The success and happiness in your role all depends on your direct management. I had a horrible manager and it made the job truly miserable. Having someone like that in a management role leads me to believe that is the entire culture and I would not recommend anyone I knew to work there.
Great environment to work in
Project Director, Staff Research Associate III (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 28, 2018
Coworkers were incredible people. My director gave me autonomy to carry out project goals and provided a supportive environment to achieve my career development goals. My work paid for some classes at UCLA extension and also offered other courses online through the UC Learning Center.
Pros
People, learning opportunities, growth
Cons
HR is a hassle
Great Pay for living in LA.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJune 18, 2018
UCLA offers good pay and great benefits.

Each clinic is different but if you can work where the whole staff isn't new, consider yourself lucky. New managers try extra hard to prove themselves, which can make for bad attitudes.

Down side would be that no location covers employee parking!
and everybody tries to stay hidden in the call center.

its a great Starter gig, but then try Cedars Sinai or USC Keck for a step up.
Pros
Good pay for Los Angeles
Cons
they keep opening clinics at the mall

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UCLA Health. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight