UCLA Health

UCLA Health Employee Reviews

United States650 reviews

hospitalpatientparkinghealthmedicalnursebenefitdepartment

Upper management sucks

It's ok company.Kaiser is a great place to work and has been selected as the one of the top ten places to work for the last 10 years. They really support the work life balance and has a goal that all employees MUST take at least 3 weeks vacation during the year or it is reflected as a goal you didn't meet. The work in IT is very rewarding and the people are awesome. There are politics to ge through just like any company but once you learn your way around the processes, it is fine.

benefits

Cons

management

Interview & Compensation

My experience with interview process was lengthy with little to no communication. It took a span of 7 months total just for them to offer me a non competitive offer that didn’t even match my last salary. It was frustrating and disappointing especially coming from such a prestigious organization. I also had several conversations about Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion within UCLA Health and this being a priority, but it’s clear from my offer that this continues to be lip service as they are clearly still not willing to change the structural issues that present barriers to access and a living wage. This was disappointing on all counts; needless to say, I declined the offer.

UCLA Health insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things

Amazing workplace

UCLA is the best place to work and provides amazing opportunities for growth. They care about their employees and ensure they are growing along with the company.

great place to work

great place to work as a nurse. Management is nice and helpful. Coworkers are kind and helpful. Food is good. MDs are respectful except some surgeons.

No schedule flexibility, management average

Typical work for an RN in a hospital. Pay is a lot better than some other hospitals in the area. Constant floating. Often short staffed. Management plays favorites.

Pros

Pay, the work you do, ample break time

Cons

Cliquey, floating, nights

Management is horrible

Management is separate from Unionized workers, treat employees with disregard and do NOT have way to hold management accountable. Very hard to get promoted into management, need to be friends with people to get into management or coaching role aka good ole boy system. They don't take workplace discrimination seriously. On the other hand co workers and people who work at the clinics are great, and do not have the same issues as the call center/PCC. Burnout is high and work loads are over done. Benefits are great and pay is so so for the amount of work you put in. Be aware that this job is High Call volume and usually high intensity, UCLA health is over booked and short staffed so a lot of frustrated patients.

Great place to learn, very sick patients.

Great place to learn. Job security is good, pay is great. The hardest part is the acuity of the patients and at times being short staffed ( management and leadership are working on staffing)

Pros

Great pay and benefits and lunch breaks

Cons

short staffed at times, acuity of patients

Decent experince

New employees have little to not training, managers are always on meetings so we are on our own. Pay is decent and work to life balance as well. Not too much recognition if you do a great job. No bonus, gifts or social interaction.

Fun workplace

Awesome gig Learned a lot Get a long with everyone Keep a positive Attitude Stay focus Keep learning Awesome people! You will learn a lot! Good job Management is great! Make sure you work the protocols

Rigorous but rewarding

The work and institution are demanding, yet rightfully so. I decided to leave for personal reasons, but this is a good place to work. If this is what you want, they're willing to help you get better.

Good thing was the people you worked with. UCLA cared about there employees.

Didn’t like department I was sent because I had no experience working that department. Employees were kind and respectful. Even though we didn’t have any experience. Some doctors were nice and some were back stabbed because they were not fine with the lack of experience. A lot of people quit ,also transfer out in which I should have done. I was so unhappy. That why I retired. Didn’t like the politic. Nothing else to add. After being off two years I want to come back but hopefully I will be in a better department. I really like geriatric and internal medicine. See this is what I am talking about I said and answer summary review and there is nothing more to say. UCLA was a great place to work. My manager was awesome and at home we were still friends. Right today we are still friends.

It's a job

Decent place but not well organized. Seems to be permanently short staffed, so you’re expected to work mandatory overtime every week. Management and coworkers treat the new hires as expendable until they pass probation. You're an in-house employee, though, so the benefits are good. The pay is on the low side, and a union contract sets it, so there is no wiggle room. Once you're employed in the UC system though, you're good.

Great Culture

The job can be demanding, but the culture is wonderful and the benefits good. Compensation is average to slightly above. Overall I really enjoy coming to work.

Productive workplace and good job culture

UCLA health has great support, everyone is so friendly and helpful. I love doing my job most days and I get to work for a big institution as well. Definitely recommend.

Pros

good management

Cons

depends

Academic Environment

Intelligent people. nice work area. cutting edge technology. PIs varied vastly. Departments varied vastly. If lucky, you'll find someone who cares about your success and wellbeing

Bad management

It is very disorganized and management doesn't know what they are doing. They promise you things and then do nothing to change it. Management speaks to you very unprofessionally.

Great

Awesome place to be. Great lunch. Great time. Really awesome. Awesome place to be. The people are there and there to be of service. You meet great people and have a great time.

Very outdated and old

The benefits and work from home policy is good. They do not adapt to new technology nor engage in critical thinking, data and value driven business model. It was very boring and non-motivating workplace. This is made toxic by very incompetent management. Once you are in, people are just there to retire as they don't really care about their work.Very hard to grow or learn as nepotism rules.

Speaking for the cataract/refractive department only

This department is toxic, with terrible management. Micromanagement at it's finest. HR does not care, and employees are undervalued and overworked. I can only speak for this department, as I have heard other department work environment is very different. Having "UCLA benefits" is not worth it, we pay to work here.

Pros

Pension (if you work for more than 5yrs)

Cons

You pay a lot for parking

overworked and under paid

As an NP I do not have flexibility in my scheduling and we are overworked and underpaid. NP's do the same amount of work as a resident and intern team.

Pros

pension

Cons

no breaks, understaffed

What is the best part of working at ?Benefits is goodWhat is the most stressful part about working at UCLA Healthcare System?Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UCLA Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.6
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
2.8Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight