UCSF Medical Center Employee Reviews

Enjoyed Working At UCSF
BILLING ANALYST/SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 6, 2019
I pretty much have good memories here. Otherwise, I would not have stayed for 15 years.

The doctors and staff treat each other like family. I was able to do my daily responsibilities with minimal supervision from the immediate manager. Trusting your ability to perform your job is key here.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 22, 2019
I volunteered on a research project and participated in planning a departments youth outreach campaign. This consisted of meetings with professionals.
Culture in transition
Operations (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 16, 2019
Could transform or remain toxic. TBD. UCSF has lots of programs but the unions have control and have run the facility into the ground. There is no money to turn the state around so they mask the deep infrastructure failures with lip gloss to attract paying customers, who will fuel the funding needed for a truly reliable facility. It's all a big gamble where no one truly knows how it will all play out.
Enjoy working here
Practice Coordinator III (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 14, 2019
This job has been nothing short than great. However, the location is far and the parking fee's are very high as well as the traffic being challenging to navigate through. I take Bart and because it's so inconvenient, I find myself running behind art least once a week.
Benefits
Cons
Location, Cost for Parking, Cost for Bart, Pay Rate not enough for city.
Fine place to work
Admin/Clerical (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 14, 2019
This was a perfectly fine place to work. It fit the time in my life for this level of job, it gave me administrative experience and valuable life experience working in the healthcare industry.
Pros
Stable
Cons
Lack of advancement
Is ok
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 21, 2018
There is no advancement in the hospital, the CEOs and managers do everything to hold you back from advancing from your current position unless you are a favorite. With the union now in place, they still try to and do not make any effort to hide their favorites. I told my manager I love the department and will like to be given an opportunity to move up with higher pay, their response is they will always support me if I find a job at another department.

A lot of incompetent managers who do not know the first thing about managing themselves let alone a group of staffs.
Great Place to Work
Clinical Applications Program Manager - Contract (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 20, 2018
I've held the Clinical Applications Program Manager position at the two UCSF Children's hospitals for 4 years. There is very little Capital $$$ this year and very few projects.
Toxic Management
CNIII (Former Employee) –  UCSF ParnassusDecember 18, 2018
Wow, where do I start. The worst place I have EVER worked as a nurse. Toxic management who discriminate against employees and plays favorites. How on earth this place got magnet status is beyond my comprehension: perhaps they just shelled out the money and got magnet. Toxic work environment, it’s like UCSF finds the worst managers--nurses who can’t cut it at the bedside and have ZERO skills lecturing staff nurses on how to care for pt.s. If you are looking for a good place to work this is NOT the place for you.
Pros
Money
Cons
Management, discriminatory work environment.
Great envieroment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 6, 2018
it was a busy clinic with great staff and a lot to learn from there, staff was very helpful and willing to teach what they know, always nice and lot of space to grow professionaly
Summary
RN, BSN (Current Employee) –  Neuro ICU. Sf CANovember 19, 2018
I worked in Neuro ICU, and a typical work day would include two demanding patients with no CNA and no help from neighbor nurses. 90% of nurses fly into work at UCSF, work their three days and fly back home. No one actually cares about the patients, or career on the floor. Management is worse with zero communication skills or interest in the nurses...It is just a job for most of the people there with low morale.
I did enjoy the work culture, very diverse and open. The hardest part would be finding anyone who cared about their work or job to help. The most enjoyable was getting a 1.5hr nap break on night shift and hour lunch break on days.
Pros
Name UCSF
Cons
Management, nurses, staffing, care for nurses.
Fast paced interesting environment with excellent doctors.
Staff RN II (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 15, 2018
The best nurses ever. Interesting work environment. Fast paced. MD’s generally responsive to patient needs. Salary competitive and benefits excellent.
Stable job for life
Surgery/Float Pool Practice Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 22, 2018
UCSF is unionized and getting fired is difficult. A person that is older and would like to retire smoothly should consider a position here on the admin side. If you have gone through a lot of schooling and continue to want to learn and advance this is a good stepping stone but you could get stuck.

Most people are nice to work with but many of the physicians have superiority complexes and are not pleasant to work with. It can be difficult to get used to the hierarchy of importance.
Pros
great work life balance
Cons
stressful and demanding patients
Great work but some career staff are too bossy to agency staff
Sterile Processing Technician II (Former Employee) –  UCSF Mission Bay CAOctober 22, 2018
UCSF MissionBay is a nice working environment. Young career people and energetic. It is also a good learning facility because of its high technology. However, two people from PM shift are acting like bosses and I've seen one of them yelled at the agency staff when she was assigned to train them at decontam. They have to remember we should be learning from them, instead, that staff will yell and refuse to teach. Not a good idea that they put her as Tech III if she does not even qualify to be one. I hope management realizes that another step as a tech doesn't only have to require a project to be done, but also should have the knowledge when asked about some things in the department. And these two people should stop acting like they are the boss.
Pros
good facility with its technology
Cons
some staff act like they are the boss
Extremely busy environment
Practice Manager - Analyst IV (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 10, 2018
Extremely busy clinic, hundreds of internal emails to respond to, managing 17 staff, dealing with difficult patients, dealing with employee issues, union meetings.
Gained a lot of medical knowledge about IVF, how to boost staff morale, working with very smart doctors, very efficient staff.
Workplace culture is friendly.
Day can get crazy busy, not having time to eat lunch, dealing with very difficult, demanding patients.
Helping staff, doctors, resolving issues, planning, managing the clinic.
Pros
great organization to work for.
Cons
driving 43 miles one way across the bridge in crazy traffic every day.
Great place to work but needs better management
Patient Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 6, 2018
It was a great place to work overall. Good for networking and learning new things. The management, however, needs improvement. The workload is uneven and employees do not get enough credit.
Cons
Workload is not even
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 23, 2018
I loved working at Ucsf. I had a lot of job advancement and was able to increase my skill set while working there. Everyone is always willing to help and teach, from the MA’s to the Doctors. I honestly enjoyed working here and I’d definitely go back.
Lock in and coast!
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 17, 2018
Lots of folks start out part time, and of course there are no benefits at this level. But if you hang around long enough, there is a small chance that you'll get hired into a full-time position.
Patients' safety first and Career advancement
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 13, 2018
Team starts to huddle before the start of the shift to quickly talk about a daily update about the unit. Being able to be aware of what to expect for the day really helps everyone to be able to apply it for patient care and be able to focus on patients' safety. Teamwork is what I love about this job. You will never feel alone, you will always have someone to help you whenever you feel lost and also lets you grow and learn everyday
X-ray
RADIOGRAPHER (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 12, 2018
I enjoy coming to work here, the staff is very friendly and knowledgable. The workflow can vary, some days are busier than others. The kids really motivate me to do my best here.
Lab system Manager
PM Special Projects / Lab Applications Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 9, 2018
Review all lab applications and network connections.
Introduce new systems into to the lab system, like analyzers and front end robots and sensors. Relocated the Lab to a brand new location.
Pros
Challenging projects
Cons
everyone is really busy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UCSF Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2