UCSF Medical Center Employee Reviews

Summary
RN, BSN (Current Employee) –  Neuro ICU. Sf CANovember 19, 2018
I worked in Neuro ICU, and a typical work day would include two demanding patients with no CNA and no help from neighbor nurses. 90% of nurses fly into work at UCSF, work their three days and fly back home. No one actually cares about the patients, or career on the floor. Management is worse with zero communication skills or interest in the nurses...It is just a job for most of the people there with low morale.
I did enjoy the work culture, very diverse and open. The hardest part would be finding anyone who cared about their work or job to help. The most enjoyable was getting a 1.5hr nap break on night shift and hour lunch break on days.
Pros
Name UCSF
Cons
Management, nurses, staffing, care for nurses.
Fast paced interesting environment with excellent doctors.
Staff RN II (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 15, 2018
The best nurses ever. Interesting work environment. Fast paced. MD’s generally responsive to patient needs. Salary competitive and benefits excellent.
Stable job for life
Surgery/Float Pool Practice Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 22, 2018
UCSF is unionized and getting fired is difficult. A person that is older and would like to retire smoothly should consider a position here on the admin side. If you have gone through a lot of schooling and continue to want to learn and advance this is a good stepping stone but you could get stuck.

Most people are nice to work with but many of the physicians have superiority complexes and are not pleasant to work with. It can be difficult to get used to the hierarchy of importance.
Pros
great work life balance
Cons
stressful and demanding patients
Great work but some career staff are too bossy to agency staff
Sterile Processing Technician II (Former Employee) –  UCSF Mission Bay CAOctober 22, 2018
UCSF MissionBay is a nice working environment. Young career people and energetic. It is also a good learning facility because of its high technology. However, two people from PM shift are acting like bosses and I've seen one of them yelled at the agency staff when she was assigned to train them at decontam. They have to remember we should be learning from them, instead, that staff will yell and refuse to teach. Not a good idea that they put her as Tech III if she does not even qualify to be one. I hope management realizes that another step as a tech doesn't only have to require a project to be done, but also should have the knowledge when asked about some things in the department. And these two people should stop acting like they are the boss.
Pros
good facility with its technology
Cons
some staff act like they are the boss
Extremely busy environment
Practice Manager - Analyst IV (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 10, 2018
Extremely busy clinic, hundreds of internal emails to respond to, managing 17 staff, dealing with difficult patients, dealing with employee issues, union meetings.
Gained a lot of medical knowledge about IVF, how to boost staff morale, working with very smart doctors, very efficient staff.
Workplace culture is friendly.
Day can get crazy busy, not having time to eat lunch, dealing with very difficult, demanding patients.
Helping staff, doctors, resolving issues, planning, managing the clinic.
Pros
great organization to work for.
Cons
driving 43 miles one way across the bridge in crazy traffic every day.
Great place to work but needs better management
Patient Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 6, 2018
It was a great place to work overall. Good for networking and learning new things. The management, however, needs improvement. The workload is uneven and employees do not get enough credit.
Cons
Workload is not even
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 23, 2018
I loved working at Ucsf. I had a lot of job advancement and was able to increase my skill set while working there. Everyone is always willing to help and teach, from the MA’s to the Doctors. I honestly enjoyed working here and I’d definitely go back.
Patients' safety first and Career advancement
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 13, 2018
Team starts to huddle before the start of the shift to quickly talk about a daily update about the unit. Being able to be aware of what to expect for the day really helps everyone to be able to apply it for patient care and be able to focus on patients' safety. Teamwork is what I love about this job. You will never feel alone, you will always have someone to help you whenever you feel lost and also lets you grow and learn everyday
X-ray
RADIOGRAPHER (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 12, 2018
I enjoy coming to work here, the staff is very friendly and knowledgable. The workflow can vary, some days are busier than others. The kids really motivate me to do my best here.
Lab system Manager
PM Special Projects / Lab Applications Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 9, 2018
Review all lab applications and network connections.
Introduce new systems into to the lab system, like analyzers and front end robots and sensors. Relocated the Lab to a brand new location.
Pros
Challenging projects
Cons
everyone is really busy
CN not flexible
Neuro-Vascular ICU RN (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 1, 2018
UCSF, specifically Neuro-Vascular ICU does not allow or work with RN schedule, life changing events. All the PRN staff are Charge Nurses. Their schedule is flexible. The same is not true for RN staff. The assignments are done based on who is a Charge Nurse not skill level.
Pros
Long breaks, teamwork and Neuro Vascular ICU is within top 5 in USA
Cons
Too long of a commute
Experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 23, 2018
The Staff were fun to work with, they were attentive to my needs. Everyone was hard working and provided great customer service. Everything was convenient and easily accessible.
Great Experience
STERILE PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 21, 2018
- constructive teamwork
- fast paced environment
- team building
- professional
- great time management and prioritizing learning
- great communication building
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 14, 2018
I learned the importance of time management and ensuring that whatever you do has a thorough, unique quality to the product. I really loved this place.
excelent work place
Staff Research Associate III (Former Employee) –  VA medical centerAugust 14, 2018
UCSF is an excellent place to work. I have really enjoyed my 12 years of employment, and all the opportunities for growth. I have learned a lot and have been here through several advancements within the organization.
Worked with some of the best of the best in a world renowned facility in a beautiful city san francisco VAMC facility on ocean beach. It was a challenge to lab every day but was worth it. Terrible commute finally made me quit job.
Pros
best
Ucsf parnassus terrible
Distribution Tech (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 10, 2018
The people who are in higher positions treat people like trash.in Ucsf parnassus there is a very bad problem with Filipino workers playing favoritism towards there own kind and treating others poorly. The management is terrible nobody is ever held accountable and all issues are just swept under the rug
Pros
The pay
Cons
People who work there are very hostile and rude
This is a fun place to work in
EKG Technician/ Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 10, 2018
The doctors that I work with are great. The department manager is such of a caring, lovely, and very understanding individual. Co-workers are are great. The department that I work in, we are all a team player place.
great
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 31, 2018
great cool nice and excellent environment to work with a team. culture competence they pay very well. you met with patients from all over the world. diversity is respected their.
Great work environment
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 14, 2018
Loved the people I worked with. Management was great. Work environment was very relaxing.
Enormous amount of work, short staffed. Felt like I would never catch up. Overall loved the people I worked with. Not enough help.
Work Culture
Management Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 12, 2018
Children's Hospital is an excellent place to work. I have really enjoyed my 12 years of employment, and all the opportunities for growth. I have learned a lot and have been here through several advancements within the organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UCSF Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2