UCSF Medical Center
Happiness rating is 73 out of 100

UCSF Medical Center Employee Reviews

United States459 reviews

hospitalpatientmedicalfrancisconursechildrensdoctorsan

Professional and respectful place to work and build skills

Great place to work! Started as a new grad RN and was there for a solid 14 years. Coworkers are supportive. Management also supportive. Many CEU opportunities as it is a teaching hospital.

Pros

Fair pay, frequent pay raises, opportunities to grow

Cons

Very busy place to work. Can be stressful

Stressful and not helpful

DID NOT LIKE IT AT ALL, they say that they are there for you and if you ever have question let them know but all empty talk.Parking is limited and expensive, people are overworked and supervisor not helpful.

UCSF Medical Center insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things

Inspiring

It is a progressive place to work. Cutting edge medicine. Promotes education of it’s employees. Long hours. Dedicated staff. World renowned medical staff.

Other temps were great

The permanent workers treat the temps like they are below them . They overwork you for barely over minimum wage then fire you without notice so you won’t become permanent and throw you into another department

It was ok for short term contract

It was busy all the time, and I never ran out of work to do. Decent pay. 40 hours per week. I would say working there is good if you want something short-term. The reason because you don’t know if you have a chance to become permanent. I heard that one temp person was let go even though she had only been there for a week. Overall, the office environment may seem nice but there are definitely some people who will give you the cold shoulder.

Horrible

They’re not willing to work with you. There’s no room for growth or mistakes there even in training. They do not care about their employees. Just ratings.

Good for getting job experience.

As being previous employee, I would say that its fair in overall. The only, problem that I experienced in my department was the management was not fair on their job decision for the workers. However, in part of the workers, it's fun working with different culture.

Pros

A lot of overtime available and able to learn a lot of work experience.

Cons

The only problem was short breaks only.

What is the best part of working at the company?People are dedicated and hardworking, committed to the causeWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?There is a mentality to provide extraordinary care, without extraordinary funding, which leads inevitably to burnout and high turnover

What is the best part of working at the company?You improved your personality, get along with professional people and advancement for your knowledge.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?During cold weather when too many people get sickWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Really nice and don’t feel discriminated, and good learning place.What is a typical day like for you at the company?During appreciation week

No job succession

Overall great place to start your career in the healthcare field however, growth in your roles are very limit if any. The company admitted stated they struggle with employee succession and often recruit out to fill roles.

Lost all energy, uniqueness, and support

Children's Hospital Oakland used to be a place I was proud of, felt loyal to, and where I had a sense of purpose. After being consumed by UCSF the entire culture has changed. There are no resources to actually be successful at your job. It is an embarrassment, other than the fact that we have top notch healthcare providers. Hands down yes to taking your kid there; but don't work there if you want a positive, thriving culture where you feel supported and eager to go to work.

Pros

Expert care, short commute, paid well

Cons

No resources, little parity with San FRancisco or other hospitals, don't feel supported.

Great benefits

Love it great benefits and co workers. Doctors value employees and are great to work for, pay is well. I would suggest to try to get in working for this company

Absolutely loved working @ UCSF

I loved working here ! The staff was awesome ! Very knowledgeable and helpful! I unfortunately got hired through an agency which haven’t paid me in 3 weeks which is why I didn’t continue on but I really enjoyed my time working for UCSF!

Don’t work there

Overworked and understand and horrible staffing. Management doesn’t respect the pcas at all. Nurses are rude. Staffing is horrible. Parking is expensive

Good place to work but fast paced

Had no real issues but very fast pace work environment but good benefits and chance to move up if willing to work hard and show initiative you can have a good career

Toxic, micromanaging and dead end IT job

I have been with the company for some years now and can safely say how toxic management are. We are just a number to them. Micromanaging to the max, no opportunities for growth, and management plays favorites.

Prioritizes efficiency and excellence

Doctors were great, management not so much. Good learning experience for those who want to go into the field, but expect a lot of grunt work. Postdocs were hit or miss

innovative, always striving to be the best in the country.

Fast paced environment, great people to work with. leadership is patient and strives for good results. lot of support. easy to work with other departments.

UCSF cares about their nurses

UCSF treats their nurses like gold. they value their opinion and ensure that they're happy with their jobs. if you are unhappy about it, speak with management. they will have your backs!

Don't believe the hype

There too many policies and procedures that no one seems to really understand or able to explain. This is a huge organization with more red tape than you could possibly imagine. Most areas have farmed out so much of work it makes it very difficult to get a response to simply questions. What is suppose to take 3-5 days for an answer usually takes 3-4 weeks.The work from home policies which began at the beginning of the pandemic have only created more disconnect between management and front line staff.Many areas are critically short staffed, yet management either can't or won't create new, more creative ways of recruiting. They simply ask you to do more with less.I feel that UCSF talks about diversity, inclusion and other policies but in reality they are bullies and mistreat the front line staff to the point that recruitment is almost impossible except for upper level management. This bullying even extends to how patients treat the same.UCSF consistently claims to be in the top ten hospitals. I don't think employees feel it is a top ten employer.

Great place

I think this place works well, management depends on he dept so you’ll have different experiences on each. Management in previous departments don’t know what they’re doing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UCSF Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 20%
In the Top 20% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at UCSF Medical Center.
Powered byComparably

Compare UCSF Medical Center with

• UCSF Medical Center
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?