UCSF Medical Center
4.2

UCSF Medical Center Employee Reviews for Administrative Assistant

Administrative Assistant26 reviews
United States26 reviews
My salary is based on 17 years if increased value. This job was very rewarding giving back to the community and helping others in a humanitarian way. 30% of my salary was withheld for tax, benefits and pension which makes for no work/life balance and paycheck to paycheck existence for a single mom. I liked my supervisor but management was useless and had no clue what work i even did!
Great place to work. Loved learning new things from the providers. Teaching and Learning are constant at this facility. Some days are busier than others.
Fast paced and detail oriented many facets involved accuracy and great customer service skills a must. Knowledge of medical terms and protocols are stringent, attention to clinic patient's requests for referrals, Rx refills, appointments for medical visits, Insurance verification, updating patient profile when necessary, close attention must be followed to standard protocols.
I actually liked working here. i had great co workers and wouldn't mind going back if it wasn't in san francisco. The commute is just unbearable. like an hour of traffic.
Pros
people
Cons
commute
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
it was a busy clinic with great staff and a lot to learn from there, staff was very helpful and willing to teach what they know, always nice and lot of space to grow professionaly
The Staff were fun to work with, they were attentive to my needs. Everyone was hard working and provided great customer service. Everything was convenient and easily accessible.
Proud to be part of an organization that is considered as the best hospital in California and also one of the top 10 hospital in the United States of America
Pros
Free lunches during selected holidays.
Cons
No additional comments
Mostly computer diagnostics. I was an office admin. Supply orders and making sure teachers could teach classes with the tech. Put it was a 4 month contract.
Pros
Slow paced
Cons
Short breaks and hard to keep busy
not an enjoyable place to work due to some managers, there is a lot of favoritism and nit-picking by in some departments. I am the Front Desk Receptionist/Patient Care Coordinator and I check in and register patient, verify Info, get authorizations if needed an all other front desk duties
Okay place to work, but I am not going to go any further than where I am at. A typical day at work is the same as any other, sometimes more stressful, other times everything runs smoothly. The hardest part of my job is dealing with irate and stressed out patients, but those are few and far in between.
Pros
Hours, pay and co-workers
Cons
Management at times, too many regulations
Although most of the tasks assigned required mundane office work in the basement of the facility, the surrounding area was beautiful & opened the mind to new possibilities.
UCSF gave me and opportunity to learn and grown within my family as well as within the world.
I was given a chance to lean with ucsf and was able to take life by the bootstraps, I absolutely loved my time with ucsf, I would love to stay but san Francisco and the high rents are more of the issue.
Pros
great learning enviornment
Cons
could be more diverse
Loved it! the dept were wonderful and everyone is helpfu. Learned alot about administration and health. I will recommend to anyone to work at UCSF. 1st class institution.
I love this job. This was my favorite job. This is the job where I learned most of my administrative work. My job responsibilities included supervising and training all front desk staff on office procedures and front desk procedures. I was responsible for inventory control, record management, maintaining patient demographic information, creating and implementing office forms, A/R, meeting with vendors, scheduling luncheon, typing patient correspondence, calling prescriptions, obtaining insurance approvals, record management, triage and answer multi-phone lines for 7 different doctors and 2 separate specialty clinics; and performed all other general office duties.
Pros
Managing and supervising the front office
Cons
Seeing patients suffer
I worked hard at my job for many years, Advancing at a great pace. We had a unique work environment, and we all got along quite well.
i learned a bit of mainframe computing, I learned billing, collecting, NIH money and private funds processing. I even negotiated some accounts with vendors. I learned even more medical terminology than I ever thought possible,

The hardest part of the job was political, and why I left to go to graduate school. The head of our lab retired, and the management was never the same.

I loved working at UC. It is a great place to work if you find your niche.
Pros
Great Facilities at Parnassus Campus, Excellent pay
Cons
Lots of infighting within departments and between them. Restructuring.
The workers are very helpful and friendly and were able to train me well enough about sterilization and the concept of sterilizers.
I work as a Patient represenitive for pediatric specialties. I currently schedule for 11 different departments, and over 72 different Doctors. In my department we also submit refill requests for medications and page on call Doctors and/or nurses for medical advice. we recieve over 200+ calls a day with a team of 4, and register 30+ new pt's a day.
Pros
great view, great organization
Cons
short breaks (30min lunch) not close to anything (stores, food, ect)
Best surgeons and providers in the world. great learning institution. However work environment and employee relations could use some improvement .
I enjoy the people I work with and the care we give to patients. My coworkers are intelligent and strive to find the best medical care.
I learned a great deal on diversity and problem solving while here. I have nothing bad to say, however being that it was a short internship, I am unable to give a clear sight into the actual work atmosphere.
A typical day at work is helping a high volume of costumers from diverse cultures, there is not a dull moment, it"s a constant learning experience. It's productive and fun to work in the medical field.

During the 12 years of service I learned how to give excellent costumer service, have sensitivity towards all the costumers; to multitask and keep calm.I learned how to prioritize and have excellent team work; to give excellent service to internal and external costumers.

My co-workers and I work hard and have fun at the same time, it's like being in family. I value being a team player with diverse cultures.

The hardest part of my job is dealing with unfairness and lies.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being of service and helping others efficiently. Giving people joy and making them feel comfortable. Being part of the costumers healing process. Working in the health environment is extremely gratifying for me.
Pros
Learning opportunities, great people, safe place to work and good resources
Cons
Parking