UCSF Medical Center

UCSF Medical Center Employee Reviews for Practice Manager

Practice Manager13 reviews
United States13 reviews
I enjoyed working working there. It was a good supportive environment. It does however take a long time to move up, it can take many years before you do.
Too many experimental changes that are not well though out or evaluated before being implemented throughout the facility. Puts more work on staff and no work life balance.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
No work life balance
Team communication was very effective in meeting and understanding the individual plan of cares for each patient.

Learned a lot while also being able to teach others.

Working at the clinic made me aware of how good my time management skills really are.
Pros
Team effort
Cons
Working through contracted company MGA Health care
Extremely busy clinic, hundreds of internal emails to respond to, managing 17 staff, dealing with difficult patients, dealing with employee issues, union meetings.
Gained a lot of medical knowledge about IVF, how to boost staff morale, working with very smart doctors, very efficient staff.

Workplace culture is friendly.

Day can get crazy busy, not having time to eat lunch, dealing with very difficult, demanding patients.

Helping staff, doctors, resolving issues, planning, managing the clinic.
Pros
great organization to work for.
Cons
driving 43 miles one way across the bridge in crazy traffic every day.
a typical day at UCSF depends on your role. not sure if the union is a good or bad thing as many people on your team only want to do their job and not help
GREAT benefits. I worked there for 10 years and it was worth it for the benefits. I felt like I helped many people and this was the highlight of working there--that and the great learning and discovery that you get to be a part of. However, there seem to be two types of people: the people who get everything done and government entrenched employees. After a while, you feel as if you are pushing a boulder up a hill which leads to burn out.
Pros
helping people, learning, and great benefits
Cons
working with others who don't want to work, nothing getting done quickly (working at the speed of government)
Good experience. My last manager had favoritism and doesn't acknowledge the amount of work we put in for the department. But I enjoyed working with the rest of my team. But UCSF has really good benefits, holidays, and vacation hours accrual.
I have an average of 60-70 patients to check out and schedule their follow ups after their visit with the provider. It's a difficult job but at the same very satisfying knowing that at the end of the day, you helped all these patients obtain their follow up appointments and leave them with less burden and a peace of mind after leaving the provider's office.
I worked in the plastic surgery dept....The doctors were amazing; management was very poor during the time I was there. I only left due to relocating.
Pros
I got along great with the doctors I worked with
Cons
Poor management
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at UCSF Medical Center?
I like working at UCSF however having to commute within the city is horrible so I am seeking a position closer to my home as well the pay that I get is OK but having to commute costs too much. In addition, the work load is Heavy
Pros
time off
Cons
commute, pay, work schedule flexibility
UCSF Medical Center is a large healthcare facility which encourages growth within their company and the salary is great for clerical careers. Although there is room for improvement, they are always willing to hear ways of improvement. Not all clinics are the same, some are better than others.
This is a great place to work if you are looking for stability or have a family. It is not a great place to work if you are needing to be challenge or need to be stimulated beyond your daily duties. Opportunity for growth is very hard, you really have to go outside of your department in order to grow.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
large work load and fast paced enviorment, fair compensation, aggressive company culture
benefits
Cons
company culture