UCSF Medical Center
4.2

UCSF Medical Center Employee Reviews for Senior Clinical Nurse

Senior Clinical Nurse9 reviews
United States9 reviews
Everyone at UCSF Medical Center is a hard worker and my staff workers and I always work as a team. We always make sure each patient is well taken care of.
Are very supportive in aspect of personal and professional development. It is the #1 best hospital in northern California and #5 in the nation. Hence the expectations and standards are very high.
Cutting edge teaching facility, stimulating work environment, challenging. Great place to learn and to work. Interesting coworkers, and patient population, very diverse. Great place to have a career. So many work options
what is a typical shift like? i work days, 7am-7:30pm. i come in, and depending on how early i am, print ecg strips, check labs, and look over my patient care summary for the day. i try to get my brain sheet organized before taking report. report is usually done by 7:30, i check to see who needs insulin/8am meds, and assess those patients first while passing meds. then i see the rest of my patients, try to chart assessments on 2-3 of them, participate in interdisciplinary rounding (with the case manager, social worker, head nurse, and sometimes physician advisor), and start working on 10am meds. after that i try to finish charting on my other patients but it doesn't always work out....then deal with lunchtime meds/insulin. between 1:30 and 2 things seem to calm down and if i had a busy morning i might not eat lunch till then. the afternoon consists of dressing changes, more meds, more charting (try to get education charting done in the early afternoon and then we do/chart a 4pm assessment as well). dinnertime meds and insulin, finish charting, etc etc etc.
Pros
FREE CEU'S with classes and seminar
Cons
Parking fee, 30 Dollars per shift
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
UCSF Medical Center's Transplant Department is a great acute care setting that offers endless opportunities for professional growth. I love the management support towards professional development such as encouraging the staff to become certified in transplant nursing. On top of that, I am fortunate to work with a supportive team of nursing leaders in our department who commits to developing nurses in becoming better patient advocates as well as being great listeners to staff concerns.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
insufficient amount of equipment
They do not support or accommodate employees with chronic illnesses. As soon as they find out you have a disability they find you a liability.
Pros
High paying
Cons
Unsupportive administration
Brand new hospital with issues to be resolved.
Co-workers are supportive of one another.

Would appreciate more support from management.
The only thing typical about a day at work in the PICU is that each day I was met with a new patient with an intense need for nursing care. I loved having a different age range of patients each day. This meant that some days I would work with a newborn and other days I would work with an 18-year-old teenager. The work was challenging and difficult, but extremely rewarding. My co-workers were supportive and helpful, and I loved the teamwork aspect of the job.
Great opportunity for career advancement

Continuing education and certification supported

Supportive and understanding management

Great team work and collaborative culture

Bedside nurse experience and relationships with management and Medical teams varies by unit