UCSF Medical Center
Happiness rating is 73 out of 100

UCSF Medical Center Employee Reviews

United States451 reviews

hospitalpatientmedicalfrancisconursechildrensdoctorsan

What is the best part of working at the company?You improved your personality, get along with professional people and advancement for your knowledge.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?During cold weather when too many people get sickWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Really nice and don’t feel discriminated, and good learning place.What is a typical day like for you at the company?During appreciation week

No job succession

Overall great place to start your career in the healthcare field however, growth in your roles are very limit if any. The company admitted stated they struggle with employee succession and often recruit out to fill roles.

UCSF Medical Center insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things

Lost all energy, uniqueness, and support

Children's Hospital Oakland used to be a place I was proud of, felt loyal to, and where I had a sense of purpose. After being consumed by UCSF the entire culture has changed. There are no resources to actually be successful at your job. It is an embarrassment, other than the fact that we have top notch healthcare providers. Hands down yes to taking your kid there; but don't work there if you want a positive, thriving culture where you feel supported and eager to go to work.

Pros

Expert care, short commute, paid well

Cons

No resources, little parity with San FRancisco or other hospitals, don't feel supported.

Great benefits

Love it great benefits and co workers. Doctors value employees and are great to work for, pay is well. I would suggest to try to get in working for this company

Absolutely loved working @ UCSF

I loved working here ! The staff was awesome ! Very knowledgeable and helpful! I unfortunately got hired through an agency which haven’t paid me in 3 weeks which is why I didn’t continue on but I really enjoyed my time working for UCSF!

Don’t work there

Overworked and understand and horrible staffing. Management doesn’t respect the pcas at all. Nurses are rude. Staffing is horrible. Parking is expensive

Good place to work but fast paced

Had no real issues but very fast pace work environment but good benefits and chance to move up if willing to work hard and show initiative you can have a good career

Toxic, micromanaging and dead end IT job

I have been with the company for some years now and can safely say how toxic management are. We are just a number to them. Micromanaging to the max, no opportunities for growth, and management plays favorites.

Prioritizes efficiency and excellence

Doctors were great, management not so much. Good learning experience for those who want to go into the field, but expect a lot of grunt work. Postdocs were hit or miss

innovative, always striving to be the best in the country.

Fast paced environment, great people to work with. leadership is patient and strives for good results. lot of support. easy to work with other departments.

UCSF cares about their nurses

UCSF treats their nurses like gold. they value their opinion and ensure that they're happy with their jobs. if you are unhappy about it, speak with management. they will have your backs!

Don't believe the hype

There too many policies and procedures that no one seems to really understand or able to explain. This is a huge organization with more red tape than you could possibly imagine. Most areas have farmed out so much of work it makes it very difficult to get a response to simply questions. What is suppose to take 3-5 days for an answer usually takes 3-4 weeks.The work from home policies which began at the beginning of the pandemic have only created more disconnect between management and front line staff.Many areas are critically short staffed, yet management either can't or won't create new, more creative ways of recruiting. They simply ask you to do more with less.I feel that UCSF talks about diversity, inclusion and other policies but in reality they are bullies and mistreat the front line staff to the point that recruitment is almost impossible except for upper level management. This bullying even extends to how patients treat the same.UCSF consistently claims to be in the top ten hospitals. I don't think employees feel it is a top ten employer.

Great place

I think this place works well, management depends on he dept so you’ll have different experiences on each. Management in previous departments don’t know what they’re doing.

Productive & fun place to work especially on the main campus

I thoroughly enjoyed working as an Administrative Assistant II for the Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Academic Affairs. He was a BMOC (big man on campus) and a leader of 170 people working under him, and I was his executive assistant so to get to Dr. A, you'd have to arrange an appointment with me. I was his gatekeeper in a way. I knew that I had to be available to him during work hours so I was basically a hostess to him. I would even go to the cafeteria and make him a sandwich from the sandwich bar for his lunch. I am grateful he trusted me I really enjoyed working under his leadership and direction, and he rewarded me nicely with Outstanding Performance Awards (cash payment of $1500) for multiple years while I worked in that department. That was my second fulltime job after I graduated from college and one of the best departments I worked for.

Wonderful work culture everyone feels valued clear and fair compensation guidelines good benefits mission driven work good transportation system for btw campuses

Benefits

Cons

Pay

productive and high pressure in here

It was a very pleasure to work for UCSF and I would return if I could.I have learned so much about technology procedures and always doing research to improve procedure to help patients. The doctors are very collaborative and not so authoritative .

Pros

friendly people

Cons

high pressure

Clinical Dietitian

Never worked at a union job before this. RDs belong to UPTE union. Look at how much fee you pay and how lousy the raise is you can determine whether to join. Large academic center comes with usual prestige. But the UCSF as a whole is less innovative than other renowned teaching hospitals of same size. Feels like working for a large elephant at times. Not sure if it is the union culture or what. Parking is expensive.

Avoid this place at all costs

The turnover rate for clinical research coordinators is always so high that it left the remaining employees always overworked and under-appreciated. Pay is well below average and management is inept, while being blind to the issues CRCs face. Being promoted is absolutely a joke because you need to interview for the position as though you do not work there. To give you an idea of the sorry state of this place, my DIRECT manager gave me a "first round" interview for the senior role of my job title and asked me questions such as "Tell me about yourself", "how to handle project prioritization" and other questions he directly knows the answer to given I report to him. - This was when I knew I had to leave and I did rather quickly for a better and much higher position at a different company. Cost of living adjustment raise policy makes it so it kicks only two years instead of one and it absolutely does not keep up with inflation.

Overall good place to work

Great salary, somewhat flexible schedule depending on what unit you work for. Management varies with each department. Room for growth within the company.

Pros

Flexible schedule, great pay.

Cons

Need more PTO for FTEs, Management can improve in terms of staff recognition, Adequately addressing long standing short staffing issues.

Great place for Scientists and Doctors

Excellent environment to flourish as a physician scientist. Diverse and supportive environment. Very accomplished and inspiring coworkers.Very inclusive culture

Had a great time

If I ever loved Mack to San Francisco, I would love to go back there and work. Great people and staff. There was a real sense of purpose working in the hospital.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UCSF Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 20%
In the Top 20% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at UCSF Medical Center.
Powered byComparably

Compare UCSF Medical Center with

• UCSF Medical Center
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?