UCSF Medical Center

UCSF Medical Center Employee Reviews

UCSF Medical Center insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Good pay, strong unions

Great place to work, but extremely stressful. Caters to patients and not staff. The company as a whole is great, but there is unnecessary drama and stress from unit to unit

Huge pay gaps

Salary information is public and for the same type of work the salary gap can be dramatically wide. One admin makes around $50k, another $90k. Essentially doing the same work except the $50k has the title administrative assistant and the $90k has title administrative officer. It’s very demotivating.

Pros

You’ll always have something to do. Holidays are paid and plentiful.

Cons

Pay (for some), stress, getting yelled at on occasion.

Not a friendly stressfree environment

One of their models is to not discriminate, but that's the whole justbof their company. The management is very poor and do not know how to perform simple tasks nor do they know how to communicate properly with people.

Pros

Holiday pay

Cons

Everything else

Good pay, but the culture sucks!

I’ve been working at UCSF medical center for seven years in the OR. The job pays well, but the inclusiveness and diversity is lacking. The company is full of nepotism, so advancing makes it hard. The discrimination policies are a joke!

Pros

Hood pay and benefits

Cons

Nepotism, poor management

Best Place

Training is amazing! Benefits and pay are too. Work can be less stressful if you and your floor team just do your daily tasks. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, lots and lots of them. Better to ask and avoid reoccurring mistakes.

Pros

Amazing staff, benefits, pay

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Job security and learn interesting things

While I worked for UCSF, I worked at the SF General campus. It’s not as nice as the main UCSF campuses but it was close to my house. I enjoyed meeting new people and making friends with all the nice doctors and staff in my department. I had a lot of autonomy which I liked and appreciated.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Parking, paid monthly.

Overworked and understaffed is just the beginning

This job pays well as a radiology tech but the baggage that comes with that is not worth it. Long commutes to keep living costs down is a norm for many employees. Many other employers have 10 or 12 hour shifts to offer their employees which helps with work life balance when commuting. Ucsf does not do this for their radiology employees. In the hospital setting the outpatients take precedence over the inpatients which means you'll be fielding phone calls from RN's and intern doctors when their patients will be done. Equipment is old in the hospital and is constantly being repaired including the hospital service elevators which are needed to bring down the inpatients to radiology. Management does not get involved with the technologists on a day to day basis, they sit in their office and you will not see them leaving the department very unorganized.

Pros

pays well

Cons

old equipment, disorganized, travelers who come for just a paycheck

Good benefits/pension

The benefits are great. I’ve made some good friends but have also come across a few people I was surprised worked at such a highly regarded institution.

Benefits

Cons

Incompetent managers

Postdoc at UCSF

Great opportunity yo learn and great facilities but the training itself can be very hard. All the PI were under lots of pressure to publish good oapers and the pressure went to the students and postdoc as well

Great coworkers

Overall a great place to work - mainly because of great coworkers. Management on multiple levels doesn't care and doesn't help. Some areas are better than others. I worked in cardiology and I didn't have great managers inpatient or outpatient setting.

Pros

Nursing ratios, high pay, great retirement

Cons

Short staffed, bad management

Food

It’s good, but it could be a lot better. To much favoritism, under paid, management don’t want to solve problems and the communication is bad. I love helping people . That’s why I’m still there.

Pros

A good place to meet good people

Cons

To much favoritism and under paid

Great pension plan with pro and con

Job security is well protected past probation.Protected by union. Although, the con of union protection is that some people don't contribute above and beyond.Pension plan is a great benefit (rare to find nowadays). However, management might need more experience in some department, in order to make employees content.Can get extra income by volunteering on overtime.

Pros

Pension plan. Overtime Income Opportunities. Great people.

Cons

Union fees high.

Attention is given excelling and staying on the Best Hospitals’ List

Overall it can be a good place to work if you can manage to stay away from office politics. Pre-COVID, the Telemetry Room was a safer environment, but during it we had far too many people added to the room which made it unsafe. Pros are the benefits for workers and pay.

Pros

Employee benefits have great in the past. Pay

Cons

They are starting to cut back on benefits they have had, so hence the need for strikes

VERY biased towards nurse practitioners

PAs are viewed as 2nd class citizens in every respect. Job postings are 3:1 favoring NPs. Nursing union contract is selectively interpreted to favor "seniority" for NPs even if that means including any prior service as RNs, not NPs. Due to this, a more qualified PA candidate is passed over, even when hiring them as internal candidate means a much-sooner start date to help with staffing deficiencies. There is NO advancement prospects for PAs. Any APP leadership positions are given to NPs, with PA candidates interviewed only for show. PAs are in a union here, but the union is unable to help with any unfair management practices, citing a "management rights" clause favoring the organization, i.e., "UCSF can manage you how it chooses." HR is merely "Labor and Employee Relations," which directs you to your union with issues or asks you to have your union speak for you. VERY poor understanding of PA training and capabilities. I would absolutely advise any PA to steer clear.

Pros

Higher pay recently negotiated per union contract, but was reportedly WAY below market vis-a-vis NP pay previously

Cons

Lots of toxic politics, see above

Great mentorship and learning opportunities

I've worked here at different times. Both departments had really nice staff and great mentors. People are willing to help you learn and grow, but there's no official training - you need to know what and how to ask for support. The supervisors were hands off, so you do need to be self driven and be comfortable navigating a big system as you'll probably work with many people outside of your department.

Pros

Great mentors, flexibility, independence

Cons

No official training

Residents were out of touch with reality; management was supportive

Management was very supportive of nurses. I learned a lot at this job. The residents were out of touch with reality. Most of them had come from Ivy League schools with a privileged background and it showed.

Pros

Cons

Residents

Great company, horrendous Managers

UCSF as a company is a dream to work for, unfortunately they need a better selection of their managers. You don’t quit the company you quit your boss.

High pay

UCSF is a teaching hospital that really tests your ability to function in a complex healthcare environment. The pay is the highest in the nation as far as public institutions go, for nurses.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Demanding work

Top Notch Work and Science

Top notch work and opportunities to see the best science the world has to offer. Pays pretty low, not a lot of opportunity to move up. Incredible, kind culture.

Pros

Management, Coworkers, Work

Cons

Pay

Great Workplace

I worked at UCSF for 13 years and loved it! I worked as an RN in the Intensive Care Nursery. Management is overall excellent and salary and benefits were top notch.

Bad management, absolutely no trust in new employees.

I worked as an appointment scheduler at the Brisbane location in california and it was terrible. I was a new hire, and there was a lot of micromanaging, distrust and politics. They were not friendly at all, and very exclusive. I felt like I was back in high school. Once they realized that I knew what I was doing and had experience, they finally started to open up and be nicer. It was too little too late.

Pros

Shuttle bus to work

Cons

Everything about this location and the management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UCSF Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 20%
In the Top 20% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at UCSF Medical Center.
Powered byComparably