Udacity Management reviews

Love Udacity
People Operations Generalist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 23, 2018
I've been working with Udacity since 2015, and have seen it transition through a lot. Helping the company grow from a small company to a mid-sized company has been both rewarding and challenging. The work is hard and seems to be never-ending but the people and management usually make it worth it. I've had a couple instances in my career at Udacity where I felt burnt out and ready to move on, but after our team was properly resourced and the team underwent a much-needed managerial change, I was happy to continue pushing forward.

Overall Udacity really puts value in their employees. Like any job, managerial choices may not be a perfect fit sometimes and too much may fall on too little people but for how they care for their employees... it makes it worth it.
Pros
great benefits, fair compensation
Great, Relaxed Environment
Content Designer (Remote) (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAFebruary 17, 2018
As a contract, remote designer for Udacity, things are pretty relaxed. The other designer that I work with is great when collaborating on the projects that we do. Its easy to communicate with other workmates/management via Slack, Email, and Google Hangouts. I guess the hardest part of the job would just be learning the terminology that the company uses. I love the fact I get to do what I love which is designing!
Pros
Remote work, relaxed environment, fun workmates
Cons
none so far
Management Cares More About Profit Than Students
Machine Learning Student Services Lead (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJanuary 22, 2018
The culture has changed considerably since I worked there, but Udacity has a wonderful ensemble of passionate, smart, dedicated engineers, video producers, and eductors. However the same cannot be said of top management who seem to care far more about profit than their students, employees or the curriculum. Unfortunately, management has a toxic and non-transparent attitude with little regard to their employees and with not hesitate to issue massive layoffs on a moment's notice just to obtain higher profits.
Udacity
Student Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAOctober 18, 2017
It is a great place to work at, but some management areas need improvement. Overall it;s modern, high tech with a great work culture offer good benefits.
Friendly workplace, nice co-workers, and fun culture.
Lead Animator (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CASeptember 13, 2017
A typical work day is usually either stressful or directionless. I did love the fast-paced work culture, but after a while it will take a toll on your overall health. The SF Bay area is extremely high cost of living and many people come and go because of this.

Although the culture and workplace is fun, and the perks are lovely! It's not a place I personally found growth and advancement; and promotions are far and in-between.

I learned communication and management skills. The best part of the job was definitely the perks and benefits, because it kept the workplace fun and exciting. But the hardest part was the unrealistic deadlines, and sloppy management.
Pros
Free lunches, dinners, good benefits, and unlimited paid vacation.
Cons
under-resourced, stressful sometimes unrealistic deadlines, slow advancement not much room for promotion, and low salary for an extremely high cost of living area.
Too few growth opportunities for entry level employees
Course Manager (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAAugust 22, 2016
Overall, a great place to work with a strong culture and amazing people. However, growth opportunities for those lower than middle management are too few. Expect to gain some great experience and likely leverage that into a job elsewhere rather than growing within the company.