UJA-Federation of New York Employee Reviews

Busy but not stressful working environment, low pay but many vacation and benefits
Developer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2018
This company has great benefits and many vacation days. The only down side is relatively low pay as compared to other company. People in this company are relatively less hostile toward each other so it's a low stress working environment.
Pros
Many vacation days
Cons
lowpay
Senior Planning Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2018
UJA-Federation is a very large organization with great opportunities to really make a difference in the lives of the New York Jewish community and Jews across the world.
Great first job with non-profit pay
Senior Assistant to the General Counsel (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 25, 2017
Great people and good mission to work for. Big organization that had flexible work hours and lots of extra holidays. Great all-staff events. Learned how money is raised.
Pros
work culture, extra holidays off (jewish)
Cons
salary
Productive but competetive
Director of Development (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2017
Some colleagues were very congenial & a pleasure to work with, however others were cut throat.

Overall management was good, but my immediate supervisor was not experienced in management or knowledgeable in her job. Whenever her supervisor criticized her work, she was very quick to transfer the criticism to staff she supervised in an unprofessional manner.
Pros
Convenient location, healthcare benefits, fair paid sick days & vacation time, pleasant donors
Cons
Occasional long working days, pressure from an unstable supervisor.
It's a paycheck
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 3, 2017
The pay is low, but the benefits of having many holidays already off is nice. The culture is very judgmental and everyone has their own clique. What are seen as perks like company field days are more torturous and intrusive to the work day.
A welcoming second home and great training
Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2017
UJA is a second home for nearly everyone who works here. There are phenomenal opportunities to learn from professionals who have been in this field for years; however, growth and promotion opportunities for young professionals become stagnant quickly.
Pros
Lasting relationships with peers and mentors
Cons
Plateaus in growth
Good "starting" point
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Syosset, NYMay 19, 2017
Great opportunity to get involved in nonprofit world at one of the most recognizable and "corporate" organizations. Regional offices require management refreshment.
They are not charitable for a charity
Supervisor of telecom and Data (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 28, 2016
I was laid off and left with no benefits. I was a full time employee for 10 years and without notice my job was gone. I needed to hire a attorney to receive my severance. What a kick in the pants, for what, ten years of service? They couldn't care less. It has been almost 4 years and still no job. I saw this happen to others over the years, but I never thought that it would happen to me. If they knew in advance what my fate would have been, would they have laid me off? Absolutely, without question.
Pros
Religion Identity
Cons
They will through you to the curb without notice
Productive Workplace
Development Associate, Real Estate Campaign (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2016
Employees at this organization are given an immense amount of responsibility regardless of experience and title. As a result of this, it allows entry level professionals to learn and grow in a great environment.
Director of Financial Management and Analysis (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2015
The leadership was engaged, inspiring and fair. At the director level had a good amount of vacation, and had a pension. I found the environment to be a great as people were passionate about their work and we could see the impact we had on the community. Good work/life balance.
Cons
Not much room for advancement at director level.
Very good place to work
Major Gift Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2015
The mission and work of the UJA is very important. The people are very committed and the work environment reflects that commitment.

At UJA-Federation, we believe in the power of coming together. We bring donors together. Agencies and synagogues. Dedicated volunteers and experienced professionals. Great ideas and responsible funding. Sustaining a network and transforming a community together. Each individual, each agency, each volunteer is strong on its own. But in coming together to act on our Jewish values, we multiply our impact, strengthening our community today and for years to come.
Great mission, but long hours
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 1, 2014
Great mission, but hours are long and pay - with no bonuses available - is relatively low.
top notch not for profit
Senior Administrative Assistant to Vice President (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 6, 2014
great place to work - one of the top non for profit companies.
Pros
holidays, healthcare
Cons
stressful
An organization in the business of helping people in need.
Executive Assistant to CFO & CEO (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 4, 2014
If you need help in paying your bills, housing, job education this could be the place for you.
Good place to learn
Senior Admin Assistant to Managing Directors  (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 4, 2013
Typical day interacting with the wonderful lay leaders. Overall UJA is a great place to work.
One Big Family
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Syosset, NYMay 21, 2013
No day is ever the same. I've learned SO MUCH with this company and about it. I've learned how to properly manage my time, better multitasking, organization and thinking out of the box. My coworkers are fabulous - always willing to help one another.