Ukpeagvik Inupiat Corporation

Ukpeagvik Inupiat Corporation Employee Reviews

United States17 reviews
Another Government Contractor, Nothing Exciting
I have worked for UIC/Bowhead Communication Service and Support Group for almost 3 years. I was contractor (General Clerk II and III) for OPLA Kansas City during that time. I have see alot of supervisors come and go. There is not much advance in this position. UIC/Bowhead needs to be more involved with the contract(s) that they hold. Having two or three supervisors and/or managers does not help. The supervisors I've dealt with during my time were nice and professional. When being moved from GC (General Clerk) II into GC (General Clerk) III position, there was not much interaction of enforcing roles and responsibilities (and still is issues with that). However, the government office I worked at lacks in communication, respect, and appreciating people (this would also go for the parent office (Chicago) that UIC/Bowhead currently holds a contract for). Also, during my time in this position, I have not received a performance review or anything of the sort.
Overall, this position is just a resume booster and leave. My recommendation is to stay for a little while to boost your resume and then apply for another contractor or a public government position)
Pros
No Micromanaging, Federal Holidays Off(Except Executive Orders)
Cons
No Feedback, No Growth or Advancement, Just another job and go position
Mean shareholders/coworkers
I was a project coordinator for a short time. There were three of us. One was very very nice and the other was the polar opposite. It got to the point where my supervisor told me to go directly to them and not deal with the mean pc. I then found out that there were at least 4 before me in that same position. Weekly paydays are great, but not worth being treated like a 'less than' bc I wasn't a shareholder.
Great benefits
Overall it is a good company, the pay is great! Almost every job starts off at $20.00 and above. You also get $7.25 per hour for healthcare. I get 4 hour per pay of PTO and you get more as you are there longer. Pay raises every year. Good place to start in order to get a government job.
Pros
Pay, Pto, healthcare, 401k with match
Cons
Short breaks
Nice Co-Workers, Not Great Environment
Environment quality may vary depending on where you're hired, they have large and small offices all over. For the market, local and national, I was drastically underpaid. It's hard to give a general opinion on the culture because the company is spread so thin across the country to take advantage of government contracts, so there are many offices, but in my office, UIC seemed to not even know what we did there, nor care, only that we could charge to government lines. Deadlines were met, or not, didn't matter. Budgets were met, or not, didn't matter. In general, UIC didn't care until we had an HR issue, and we didn't have many of those so that was nice.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Small Space, Low Pay, Management
Village Culture
The company's management and leadership is run more like a village political system rather than a professional business. The phrase "village politics" comes up too often for comfort when it comes to things like management changes or advancement.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Most enjoyable part of job is great HR team across multiple locations.
The work culture and team work at UIC encouraged input and feedback on critical HR challenges affecting the HR operations. This communication allowed for contribution as an HR member of organization.
Pros
When necessary, can work at home using offsite computer access.
Cons
Financial hardship to cut multiple positions
Love cooking and they love to eat
People are great,I can. Order most anything to cook for a great meal.people are helpful, pay is good ,free flight to job sight, very accommodating to be able to do your job
Pros
Free room and board, and. Plenty of time off
Cons
Equipment is minamal
Workplace experience at uic.
It was very rewarding to be able to assist in all departments and be the face of the company. Unfortunately, I was laid off due to financial problems within the corporation. Great people, great community and potential.
Cons
Time management of other coworkers
Poor place to work
Management is bias and discriminates. You are worked extremely hard sometimes without breaks and not compensated for your work. You tend to wear more than one hat sometimes three of four
Terrible atmosphere and very cut throat.
The manager over the North Little Rock location is away on sick leave in Kansas, for an undetermined amount of time. He doesn't like you to contact him and the staff that is there, are very rude to one another and doesn't work harmoniously at all. If you like drama, you should apply.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Some lazy workers
Fun place to work
The Arizona operations team is great! The work is fast paced and keeps you very busy, which makes the day go quick!. Awesome team members, both in the office & field! Too many politics at a corporate level, which trickles down to the local offices creating an unstable work environment. Wonderful benefits - Health, Dental, Vison, 401k, PTO. You will not find a better benefit package in this industry.
Pros
Knowledgable management team. Good benefits.
Cons
Too much politics at the corporate level which makes for instability corporate wide.
Very very very poor management
this one the worst place i have ever worked for. management is the worst i have ever seen
supervisors are at best,a joke save yourself a lot of heartache look for something else
Enjoyed working there for 15 years
I headed the east coast operations and it was very enjoyable. The federal contracting grew exponentially. My interaction with corporate was less pleasant and the values that they preached weren't followed. I would not compromise my integrity.I didn't care that all the profits we were making went to corporate spending and commercial poor management.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Too much politics with corporate and they did not live their values
Something differant
I learned more about running fiber optic and telephone lines than I eve knew before. I enjoyed the physical aspect of the job. It was like being paid to workout.
Pros
good pay, good people
Cons
temp job, wish I could have stayed longer
Work functions
I have documented and provided instruction on how to make work easier for our co-workers and new IT employees to work in our department using OneNote.
Pros
Learn new things.
Cons
Using software to keep track of employers.
Very low pay and no advancements.
Being Alaskan Native and raised in a small village, I felt like an outsider. Most of my co-workers were from outside.
Pros
Did full days work in a half a day.
Cons
The pay and entry level position.
Productive and fast paced environment
Small, 8(a) company with a fast-paced working environment.