Ulta Employee Reviews

Found 3,971 reviews matching the search See all 3,978 reviews
Very flexible workplace
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Portage, MINovember 20, 2018
I loved working here for the longest! Unfortunately, when new management stepped in, I felt undervalued and overworked. I tried to express my concerns but felt as though they were not heard to the extent that I would have liked. I learned so much with this company. A few examples are improvement in customer service, critical thinking on the spot, multitasking, and being flexible. A typical day at work could range from making new displays to working the cashwrap to putting on makeup for a guest. I highly recommend working here if you are a college student trying to gain experience.
Pros
Flexibility, Friendly, Accomodating
Cons
Short breaks, Did not see much opportunity for growth
Not bad!!
Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNNovember 19, 2018
I really don’t mind working at Ulta! Good environment with normal ups and downs like any other job!! Good breaks, good team, and nice discounts. Advancement opportunities are fairly good and full time benefits are nice too!
Pros
Discount, benefits
Great for people looking to expand their operations knowledge
PRESTIGE SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Greater Philadelphia AreaNovember 19, 2018
This is NOT a place for those with an interest in clients. It is a great place for those focused on operational duties and tasking and a greatvway for thise beginning their careers to learn how to navigate office politics. Managers promoted from within are grossly underpaid so go elsewhere when you are ready to pursue management.
Pros
PTO structure
summary
Associate Manager of People (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 18, 2018
overall happy despite the micro management. fun upbeat environment and it is truly what you make it. It created/ shaped my voice. Take the opportunity to grow long lasting relationships with beautiful ppl.
Cons
micro manage, catty, no job security, unsafe ridden with thieves, wrong ppl in charge.
Great managers with unhelpful corporate
Lead Cashier (Current Employee) –  West Hollywood, CANovember 18, 2018
I love my managers, I'll start with that. If it was not for my awesome managers I would have left a long time ago. The hardest part of work at Ulta is the crazy customers, but it hardens you and you get used to it after a couple months. I have been with the company for 2 years and in the last year the only raise I received was 10 cents which sucks. Also, my specific location corporate would not pay for our parking and it would usually come out to 18$ a day when I only make 13.60 an hour. They only pay for the General manager and OPs. It's a job, what can I say.
Its a fun work place
Hair and Makeup Senior Designer (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCNovember 18, 2018
A typical work day starts normally around lunch time, I am normally booked with clients, I set up and prepare for my clients. I services my guests, clean up then go home.
Pros
fun, try new products, free services at the salon
Cons
under paid, long hours, standing all day
Fast-paced
Retail Operations Manager Ulta Beauty (Current Employee) –  Burlington, NCNovember 18, 2018
High-speed working environment for this role. Marketing. Merchandising. Inventory processing. Guests services. Sales goals. Leading operational group projects.
Fun place to work and always revolving
Salon Receptionist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rockaway, NJNovember 16, 2018
I really enjoyed my time working at Ulta. I definitely took advantage of the employee discount and all of the classes. It is always something a little different so it was always interesting.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
retail hours
little to no hours after holidays
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hyannis, MANovember 16, 2018
I was basically working to gas my car to go to work. I do not recommend, at least not at the branch I was at in Hyannis. I met a couple great people but other than that, I was not happy there. The discounts good though.
Fun and upbeat place to work
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LANovember 15, 2018
I loved the work environment. It was fun and upbeat and overall great place to work. Great management team. The downside of the job was not enough hours and too little pay.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Too short of hours, too little pay
It was an exciting place to work. I loved working with my peers and the customer base was great.
Hair Stylist/Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, CONovember 15, 2018
A typical day at work I would immediately start with the sanitation of the salon area. Check my schedule for the day. See how many services i was scheduled to do and assess my time management for the day.
I learned a lot when we would have ongoing education. I was taught a lot of product knowledge and new techniques for cutting and coloring hair. And the other stylists would definitely help and learn from each other.
Management at Ulta was very attentive and informative. Instead of just telling people what to do they would make a point to see how they could help us through our day.
The hardest part of the job was making sure all the stylist got an equal amount of clients.
The most enjoyable part of working at Ulta was being able to work as a hairstylist and also doing make up applications. I loved working in prestige and giving a great customer experience.
Pros
Great management, fun atmosphere and knowledgeable staff
Cons
no healthcare, short breaks due to searching bags before exiting the building
Great place to learn about makeup!
Retail Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZNovember 15, 2018
Working at Ulta was so much fun! I highly enjoyed it. It is a great place to start off as an esthetician and makeup artist. I got to experience many opportunities. In management there isn't a lot of room to have a personal life and made it difficult for me to go back to school a few days a week.
Pros
healthcare, discount
Cons
short lunches, favoritism
Prestige Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 15, 2018
Overall highly recommend. Fun place to work and room for growth! They promote within which is really nice. Also they pay hourly instead of salary which is nice
Pros
Great pay & benefits
Cons
A lot of work but it’s fun
Fun place to work at
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sunset Valley, TXNovember 14, 2018
Great place to work if you’re a full time high school student. You get to learn so much about the beauty industry and get to play with so many products before they come out.
Fun and Active work place
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FL 33625November 14, 2018
I think my time working with this compay was grea. My shifts would go by fast and i loved getting dolled up for work. only down side was minimum wage.
Could be better
Sorter/Packer (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CANovember 14, 2018
I really enjoyed the staff very bubbly and outgoing but the only down part is standing on your feet for 10-12hrs they let people go for sitting orl leaning....not good
Great Starter Job
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bel Air, MDNovember 14, 2018
I began working at Ulta because it fit with my school schedule. It was your average minimum wage job, and if you like makeup then it's great! I always had a lot of fun when I went to work, because it didn't seem like just work to me. Of course, there were bad days with customers but that's any retail job you have.
Do not work for ulta!
Salon Market Trainer (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 13, 2018
ULTA is a horrendous company to work for, They changed managment and District Managers very often, the turnover its extreme and they will wrongfully terminate you if your personality does not match with your District Manager, extremely unethical. They have various cases against them in the EEOC, you been warned.
A stepping stone
CLINIQUE BOUTIQUE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CANovember 13, 2018
Not a bad place to work. However, the pay raises are based on random percentages. Usually giving $0.25 every 6 months to year depending on position. The schedule in certain positions can be hard to balance with kids.
Pros
50% off salon and 25% off retail products
Cons
Long days in retail when working full time
Fast paced work, outwardly very positive environment with some culture of bullying. Good programs for advancement, no work-life balance.
Store Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington StateNovember 13, 2018
Very fast paced work from the time you get to work until you leave at the end of your day (be prepared to sweat). The training is minimal, if you've worked in management then you are set, otherwise this is sink or swim. The work culture was pretty negative, some fear based management tactics being used. The job is great if you are looking to advance *specifically in the beauty industry. Would not recommend if you are trying to achieve work/life balance.
Pros
great benefits, good pay and advancement opportunities
Cons
negative work culture, at times exhausting work, lack of training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ulta. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K
41.1K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP10%
In the Top 10% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Ulta.

Powered by Comparably