Ulta Employee Reviews

Found 4,177 reviews matching the search See all 4,191 reviews
Fun work envirnoment
Cashier, Task & Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZJanuary 16, 2019
The most enjoyable part of working at Ulta is the inclusiveness of others. Ulta is great about providing everybody with the tools to beauty. This is much more than cosmetics, skincare or haircare but the freedom to express yourself based on your desires. Everyone has a different definition of beauty and thats what makes it so exciting.
Very fake people and no room for growth
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 16, 2019
They exclude employees from gratis, they have favorites, and hire more employees when they don’t have enough hours for everyone. I do. Not receommend this place.
Fun places to work but not great hours
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 16, 2019
Ulta is a fun place to work and I really enjoyed it the hours did not work for me unfortunately and I did not get very many most weeks very lovely employee discount very amazing place to work
Pros
Lovely place to work very fun driven
Cons
Short breaks and no lunch hour even if you have a 4 to 5 hour shift
Sells amazing product, does not give enough hours.
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Carson City, NVJanuary 16, 2019
This company does not give you enough hours to support yourself financially. They have you come in for two hour shifts. Asking for more hours is not going to change anything, they will just keep switching your schedule around, It is very inconsistent. One week I will have 7.50 hours and the next week 9.00 hours. Not practical for me to even waste gas getting to and from work.
Pros
25% discount
Cons
Not enough hours. Plenty of miscommunication between managers.
unhappy.
Co- Manager (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJanuary 16, 2019
The management made it hard to move up regardless of how you worked or your work ethic; my co-manager was a family friend of my DM so she did nothing and still moved up. it is a hard company to work for regardless of how much you liked the pace or process and items.
great job
Lead Cashier (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJanuary 15, 2019
it's a good career if your manager is great. the hours are ridiculous and unfairly balanced. I would work full time while my friend who requested more hours was working less than 15 hours a week.
Fun place to work.
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJanuary 15, 2019
Would have continued to work there had I not had to go on maternity leave. We only got short breaks no how many hours a day we were there. The hardest part of the job was trying to get people to sign up for a credit card. Some won’t budge at all.
Pros
Fun atolmosphere
Cons
Short breaks
Fun workplace, no advancement
Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 15, 2019
Loved the culture and my coworkers!! Gratis is amazing! However, not much room for advancement and compensation is VERY LOW! Had it not
Been for the pay and the management, I would have never left!
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Compensation
Easy enough Sales job - no room for moving up
BEAUTY CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHJanuary 15, 2019
I took the position as a "beauty consultant", expecting to work the sales floor. I ended up working mostly in stocking and back room duties as well as some cash register shifts. The culture is very snobby and stuck up, and advancement is practically non-existent, at least in the store I worked in.
I enjoyed working here
Skin Therapist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 15, 2019
My job was a skin therapist position. As a cosmetologist I feel the range of work was amazing. The position is based on how much work and effort you put in to it. You have to work to build your client base or your paychecks will suffer.
Pros
Great benefits. Salon works like a family.
Cons
Competitive field
Fun place, but no room for growth.
Prestige Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJanuary 15, 2019
Working at Ulta is a fun environment and there are some fun coworkers. However, there is not a lot of opportunity for advancement and growth within the company. Hard work does not get recognized very often. Good employees don't get the rewards they deserve. Management is always changing and causes people to leave. Customers are extremely brutal because it's mostly women. A lot of shifts are 7 hours instead of 7.5 hours so that they don't have to give you a 30 minute break.
Pros
fun, free stuff sometimes
Cons
short breaks, poor management, no personal progression, rude customers
Productive, Fun, Great learning experience, If you love cosmetics.
Prestige Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 15, 2019
Typical day at work was interacting with new/regular clients, keeping the sales floor well kept and stocked.

I learned so much about the different products sold in the store and learning how said products have helped clients.

Management (depending on the manager on duty) kept up with what tasks needed to be completed as well as assisting on the sales floor.

Workplace culture was to give a WOW experience to every guest/client that walked into the door.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult customers, and theft.

The most enjoyable part of the job to me was being able to satisfy a guest with customer service.
Fun place to work
Prestige Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJanuary 15, 2019
I love my job! Highly recommend for people who would like to work part time. Flexibility when it comes to working with your schedule. Management is great at communicating the goals of the day.
If you LOVE makeup it’s great
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZ 85142January 15, 2019
But it can be very hard depending on the organization of your management and team. A bad management will make you not want to go back to this job. You’ll spend most of your time at the cash register instead of on the sales floor where are you were needed to make sales and prevent theft due to being constantly short staffed and under budgeted hours. Even some management positions aren’t offered full time.
Pros
Free makeup
Cons
No full time unless manager
Fun and creative workplace
Prestige Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 15, 2019
A typical day at work involves helping customers find their perfect products, we are able to watch training vidoes to improve our product knowledge, the culture of the workplace is really fun, my coworkers are very personable and friendly, the hardest part of the job is not being able to spend as much time as I need helping one customer and the most enjoyable part is helping customers find products to make them happy and feel like their best selves.
Good work environment
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hanford, CAJanuary 15, 2019
I enjoyed working for Ulta, the management always worked with my schedule and offered me opportunities to earn more and had special incentives. The team had great cooperation in completing whatever tasks were at hand.
Decent place!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJanuary 14, 2019
I only worked at Ulta in West Des Moines, IA for a couple months part-time. For the short period of time I worked there, it was perfectly fine! Not the best place I have ever worked but I would still recommend it to my friends and family! When I was in training, they did a very good job and I believe I was trained correctly. Employees were very friendly and made working there very enjoyable. Management was very nice as well. The main manager was very intense and pushy in a way, but I dont think it was in a bad way, she just wanted people to do their jobs and do it right!
Pros
Lunch breaks
Friendly co-workers in a relaxed environment
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 14, 2019
The place is clean and air conditioned, the work isnt too physically demanding and supervisors are nice. The Hr team are friendly and willing to listen to staff needs and any concerns.
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 14, 2019
i hate that it had to be seasonal this was one of the best Jobs i had the company itself made sure as employees that we felt comfortable and safe. there was definitely no need to steal because they continuously show there appreciation to there employees, ulta is a peace away from home.
Pros
great
Cons
nothing
Fun people
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXJanuary 14, 2019
I rather enjoyed working at ulta. They ad strict goals they wanted to reach and they did what they could as a team to make the goals work. They are very organized and friendly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ulta. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K
41.2K

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP10%
In the Top 10% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Ulta.

Powered by Comparably