Ulta

Ulta Employee Reviews

United States8,666 reviews

Found 8,666 reviews matching the searchSee all 8,699 reviews
makeupbeautygratissalondiscountproductstoreprestige

Fun Place to enhance your customer service skills

Really gained more out of customer service and sales after working at this job. My favorite part of the job was getting dressed up and learning about makeup. I really saw myself grow while working at this company.

Worst retail experience of my career

Horrible culture, driven by operations only. Did not consider investment in people only audits and execution of planograms. Results did not matter, could be top in company and it didn’t matter. Was continually monitored through surveillance cameras. Leadership was inadequate, lacked vision, confidence or knowledge of SOPs held different leaders to different standards of accountability.

Ulta insights

Based on 5,836 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

More like Family

I have been working as a cosmetologist for Ulta Beauty for almost a year now and they have treated me like family from day one. They work very closely with you to make sure you can maintain an even work/life balance that works best for you and your home situation. 10/10 recommend working here.

No Training

I came to Ulta and promoted into the service manager position. I thought it would be great seeing the previous manager made it look so easy. I feel so under supported and don’t think my district manager likes me. I try hard but it’s never enough. My current manager is not helpful and doesn’t help. Very unsupported and no one seems to care.

Unfair pay

Go somewhere else where they will actually pay you a fair livable wage for the amount of work they have you do plus the stress of it. The management here is extremely rude and I hated it, they will never ever let you get a raise.

Pros

25% off each item

Cons

Low pay, rude management, stressful, nagging

Don't work here if u have kids!

Not a job for someone with a family and home life. They have a point system that will get u fired in a heartbeat doesn't take doctors notes. Management is a joke!

Extremely stressful

One of the worst places I’ve ever worked. I was treated better as a floor sales person than as a manager. Constantly worked overtime, other managers called out frequently and I received little to no training for my role. Customers were always very rude and entitled and requesting days off was impossible. I would also only get 30 mins off the clock for lunch when I worked 10+ hours

Pros

Free sample products

Cons

Short breaks, stressful environment, low pay, poor management

Productive and supportive workplace

What stood out to me about working at Ulta was the support from my fellow coworkers and most of my managers. Everyone wanted everyone to meet their goals and accomplish as much as possible. Management could’ve been a lot better, sometimes things were not fair between coworkers and some managers were very bias and I feel like everyone was treated differently.

Pros

Free Snacks, Supportive, Clean Environment

Fun workplace

Fun place to work, super chill and work is as easy as you make it. Before store opens you can listen to your own music to get you in work mode and it makes your shift go by fast

The discount was nice….

There was very little guidance or encouragement from management. The whole environment felt very “cliquey”. I’m glad I was only there as a seasonal position. The discount was very nice, but I did not enjoy the overall experience. It could get very stressful, with very little support from management or fellow co-workers.

Pros

Discount at the store

Cons

You don’t feel supported or valued, stressful

Fun

Great for part time, decent pay &flexible schedule. Management is pretty cool, great team mates but it depends on the location. Consistent hours especially during holidays.

Good job if you have high energy

It all boils down to your management staff. We had a new GM. She works with a schedule that you prefer. I am retired working two days a week 4 to 5 hours and this is just right. You are on your feet so forget about wearing super cute shoes..you'll be much happier with proper footwear. After 5 hours I've put on almost 2 miles. The coworkers are young and great to work with. The clientele is great...all ages and very open to my recommendations. This position involves multitasking so if you're not that type, this isn't for you. Stooping down to stock items, working at the cash register selling credit cards is an expectation. Good part time job for college students. You should be a makeup lover unless you want a behind the scenes back office position. I left for two reasons: it was turning into 99% cashier, NOT a beauty advisor, so don't get stars in your eyes about the title. I am totally a team player but I was hired to sell, not be a cashier. One of the other managers needs training on how to address a concern without using a scolding tone. The employee turnover is high. I appreciated learning new products and helping people. It's too bad it didn't work out.

Pros

Learning about new products and good feedback from customers

Cons

Job title does not coincide with assigned duties. Customer theft is a safety concern

It was fun

It was fun, but the pay was bad. I made 11, got a 13 cent raise after a year, while other newer people made 14.50. Hard to get hours, I usually only worked 15-25 hours a week

Alright place

It was an ok place to work at. Didn’t like it that much. Was not impressed with management. Would not recommend. Find something or somewhere better…..

Great work place if this is of your interest

This is a great job as a college student, not many hours are offered. But overall the experience is great work environment is great this is a place where no work stress is taken home. There's also not many options to where you can advance in this career or at least I was not offered at my time working there only weeks of training.

Good for experience

Great to learn the basics of skin and hair. Little pay and managers play favorites. Can be a toxic work environment. Research before applying to a store

Sell credit

All that matters is if you sell their credit card. I take that back, you also have to get everyone to sign up for their loyalty program. Also be prepared for never ending questions comparing products, with basically no training.

A good work environment. There can be some down time as a cashier but the people I worked with were extremely friendly. As this being my first job it was a good experience.

It was great at first and then there was a downfall

It was good until it wasn't. My managers were kind and understanding, and I even made some close friends with my coworkers who were lovely people. Eventually however I was expected to pick up the slack for coworkers who weren't properly trained all while enduring those slacking coworkers complaining to me about their eating disorder, trauma, assault, etc. When other coworkers expressed their discomfort nothing was done. I felt so uncomfortable that after a year of working there I just quit on the spot

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

barely any freebies, expected to pickp slack from others

Fun and friendly

This job was really fun to work at. I enjoyed helping customers, some managers employees were great to work with others made it feel like you were in the way or just not interested in working as a team.

Fun place to work , a lot of dtama

Management is always favoring and it's hard to move up even with experience. A lot of the favorites stand around at the brow bar gossiping. Only certain people have to bust their butts. The favorites get away with anything.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ulta. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.9Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Ulta with

Ulta reviews by popular job title

• Ulta