Ulta Employee Reviews

Found 3,450 reviews matching the search See all 3,456 reviews
Overall Review
Beauty Advisor/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSJuly 20, 2018
This job is basically amazing aside from not many opportunities to advance and not enough prestige training. Management is fairly good, could use better training in my opining. The general manager is the best part of the job, she is absolutely amazing,
Pros
15 minute breaks, great work hours
Cons
not enough hours to go around
Fun place to work
Esthetician (Current Employee) –  Tampa Bay, FLJuly 20, 2018
Fun, salon management is kind and encouraging. Culture is great, I would recommend working here. I've found hours for estheticians are not steady. Depending on where your store is the better you'll do. More flow in the store = more clients aka you might actually receive commission checks instead of the low hourly wage. They really push getting your own clients out on the floor which is understandable and I'm sure with good management would be easier with kind encouragement. At my store it's pushed (towards the skin therapists and hair designers) with passive aggressive comments and jokes from the GM. I've heard things about bad management at other stores from friends working at other Ulta's so maybe they need to be better at finding good GMs. Other than that and the fact that they don't advertise the skin part so it's pretty slow I enjoy the job a lot. Salon team is great support for the Skin Therapists and you can work together to promote one another. With the right store and team this could be an amazing job for experience in this field.
Overall nice job!
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Rego Park, NYJuly 20, 2018
the job was fairly easy, must be energetic and able to run around or be on your feet. Co Workers and Management team is nice for the most part! pou[oh;h
Great Company to work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 20, 2018
Our store was new, management was not run very well. Coworkers were all great, and the store was always neat. Very easy to get used to the store and what needed to be done was always done.
Pros
Great Employee Discount, Great amount of time allowed for breaks.
Cons
Management not run well, hours employees got were very low.
Greta place to work while I was in college
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 20, 2018
Lucky for me my store manger valued our learning just as much as we did and work with our school schedule. The environment was fun and encouraging. Go 308!
Pros
Cons
N/a
SUch a terrible to work at
Salon stlylist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 20, 2018
Ulta treats their employees bad, there’s favoritism, nomopportunity , and management is terrible , numerous incidents have happened with the managers and no does anything about it , for $8 in Orlando you Don’t even have enough to pay rent
Pros
Free samples
Not happy
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 19, 2018
It is good place to work as a young aspiring makeup artist and esthetician to get through school and learn more about the company makeup and skin care products. But over all I am not happy working for Ulta.
Fun workplace
Salon Stylist (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 19, 2018
Ulta has been an amazing and fun experience. The management is easy-going and very understanding. The workpace is fun and energetic while you work. Recruiting clients can be difficult but the walk-up clientele is available. The company itself is a wonderful company and makes working easy.
Pros
Enjoyable co-workers
Cons
Short breaks
Fun workplace
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  New Hartford, NYJuly 19, 2018
Ulta is a very fun place to work at and I feel very lucky to have been able to work there these past few months. I've learned so much about beauty and retail over the years.
It’s a nice place to work
Hairstylist (Current Employee) –  Taylor, MIJuly 19, 2018
But you get paid low not worth the gas I drive out back and fourth but I need a job that pays good not a part time which there is no full time in ulta
Most Toxic Workplace
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIJuly 19, 2018
Never in my entire retail career have I witnessed such astounding favoritism, bias, and hysteria in the workplace. Management likes to schedule more hours for their favorite employees instead of actual higher-performing ones. For example, the store manager would give at least three days to cashiers with consistently low loyalty scores and less days to one with average 80% loyalty, simply because the former are more liked. Most of management are stuck in their ways and refuse to step outside their comfort zone. Seniority in a company does not always mean that these managers possess the ability to manage effectively and efficiently. In fact, where I worked, they didn't. A lot of tasks, such as visual merchandising, would be left unfinished, poorly done, or forgotten about until weeks or even months later. They only develop cashiers they like and hardly ever coach others. Also, gossip runs this location. Performance reviews tend to be based on what is heard and not seen. If management doesn't like you, they will talk about ways to get rid of you. Customers are honestly the least of your worries here.
Pros
employee discounts, free gifts
Cons
Everything else
Good place if you really know a lot about makeup for a part time job
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 18, 2018
I have heard different reviews from people who work here and I believe it depends on the location and the people you work with, mine wasn't really that great of an experience just because of the fact that I started during the holidays when it was extremely busy and they did not really train me on anything, it was more of a figure it out as you go type of thing which was sort of difficult for me, and there wasn't really any co-workers that I became friends with so it was kind of awkward working without anyone to really talk to
Customer service, inventory, stock, cashier (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLJuly 18, 2018
Working at Ulta was great! I loved the environment. Working there, you always had something to do. Working with customers, choosing their color for foundation, lipsticks, eyeliners. It was a very nice experience.
Not The best experience
Prestige Manager (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJuly 17, 2018
We had an awful store manager, she harrassing and corporate never did anything. I reported her to my district manager twice and corporate hotline. Turns out this is a common occurance which is sad because if the company was more supportive of its management it would be an excellent place to work.
Pros
Training
Cons
Awful HR support, little flexiblity in scheduling, Little flexibility job control.
Stressful with poor management.
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  WisconsinJuly 17, 2018
Good place if the managers are nice. Can get stressful at times but the discount is nice. If the mangers are bad then it can be very stressful with poor management decisions. Look into who you will be working for before accepting the position.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Poor manager
Advancing Company
Prestige Beauty Advisor/Lead Cashier (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 17, 2018
Ulta is making big moves and has been fun to work for. They are advancing because of great management. There have been hiccups along the way, but if you work hard and have the same goals as them you can well be on your way to an Ulta Career. Right now is the best time to become involved.
This has been my favorite job ever!
Lead Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 17, 2018
I’m working part time right now as a lead cashier- I started out a year ago last fall as a beauty advisor but was recently given a promotion by my GM. I was nervous about starting work again as I’d been a stay at home mom for about ten years before starting this position but I got into the swing of things pretty quickly and am excited every day I get to work! I learn something new every day and all of my managers and co workers are tight knit and easy to talk to. I can’t speak about full time hours but from my perspective as a part time employee I get a fair amount of hours (anywhere from 20-30 a week) and am paid a fair wage. We are also given gratis from time to time which is a great incentive to put forth your best effort! I’m really happy with this job and believe there is room for me to grow there and make it a full time career.
Pros
discount, co workers, fun environment, gratis
FUn friendly atmosphere
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 17, 2018
Ulta is a great place to work if you are into make up and beauty. Great discount and a friendly place to work. Ulta strives for customer service and to insure that the customer leaves happy with the look they are wanting.
Fun to work because of the makeup
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAJuly 17, 2018
You are limited to what you can do. If the passion is makeup, you will very rarely be able to be with the real makeup and educate guests. Managers are catty.
Pros
no hours, stagnant
Cons
the discount
Loved the customers, hated management
Prestige Consultant (Former Employee) –  Northgate, WAJuly 17, 2018
Working for this company was garbage. They refused to promote from within and would only hire from outside the company. I tried so hard to advance and they would never let me or even give me the tools to do so. Every time a new manager would come on board they would cut my hours for no reason and when I finally left after being there for 2 years and being a loyal employee they did not ask me to stay or anything.
Pros
Gratis
Cons
Hostile work environment. No room for advancement. Catty managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ulta. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

77out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Ulta.

Powered by Comparably