Ulta Employee Reviews

Found 4,414 reviews matching the search See all 4,428 reviews
fun placr to work!
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 20, 2019
Ulta beauty was actually a very fun place to work! Most of the employees were very friendly people. The task I was asked to perform wasn't too difficult.
Pros
payed minimum wage
Fun envirmonet
Bilingual Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 20, 2019
pay could be better
co-worker nice
fast paced
has some slow days
very flexible with schedule
hours sometimes vary but for the most part hours are good
Pros
friendly people
Cons
pay
unprofessional and disorganized
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  FloridaMarch 20, 2019
Do not work here if you are organized the managers are not professional and the communication is bad. Truthfully, it is a miracle this company is as successful as it is considering who is managing the stores.
Cons
unsanitary, bad management, rude, unorganized, unprofessional
Working as a Skin Therapist
Skin Therapist (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILMarch 20, 2019
Enjoyed what I did there as a skin therapist, everything was great helping out guests and getting to experience all their products available. A lot was great there,except the store manager at the location i worked. He was not fair with all employees, took favoritism many girls who worked there opened up to me and expressed themselves that way. It really is unpleasant having a manager who does not look out for the best for all employees only for his self benefit.
fun job
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 20, 2019
great place to build clientele especially if you just finished beauty school. lots of hands on and learning. great starting point, resonable prices and helps you get on the right path
Fast paced fun enviornment, but poor management training.
Retail Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 20, 2019
Overall a fun, fast paced environment, with an amazing amount of growth opportunity. Management can sometimes be retaliatory and can have hostile work environments, but every store is different. Pay is fair, amazing benefits and PTO available.
Pros
Paid time off, health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, sick time.
Cons
Retaliatory management/higher ups
Great work environment
Clinique-Boutique Manager (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAMarch 20, 2019
Great place to work, has a lot of potential for growth. I would have stayed if didn’t need to relocate. I would love the opportunity to work for the company again in the future.
Pros
Job growth opportunities
Cons
30 minute lunch break
Horrible company
Tile roles retail sales manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXMarch 20, 2019
That whole store is a mess ulta is stressful do a lot for a little pay store manager is a pain disrespect belittling employees district manager useless says she will help she doesn’t horrible
Pros
Discount
Cons
Little pay
fast paced and fun
Senior Hairstylist (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CAMarch 20, 2019
Working in the salon is rewarding, if you put in the work and understand the business aspect. Flexible schedule for part-timers and easy to re-locate to another state.
Pros
Full time, benefits, paid time off, 401k, easy to build a clientele
Cons
In California, you can only work 8 hours and have to take a lunch
Favoritism, juvenile managment and lack of organization
Prestige Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Northgate, WAMarch 20, 2019
During the few months of working there my time was disorganized and generally chaotic. Anytime they needed me (which was often and they knew I had a child) they always called me very last minute. I understand that this is a very common occurance in retail and the restaurant industry, however I was rarley left with enough time to find someone to watch my daughter.

I was hired just before the yearly inventory check was done, so I was still fairly new when the inventory was being done. They called me in to work a double shift for inventory because another employee called out. Thankfully my father was off work and was able to watch my daughter for me on such short notice (they called me and needed me in 30 minutes and I lived 40 minutes away via car). Leading up to inventory they didn't really tell me what all was involved when inventory was conducted, I had never worked retail before this so I had no previous experience either. Once there they hand me a scanner and send me to a section of the store with about 30 seconds of explanation. I'm left alone after that to basically figure things out on my own. I managed to struggle through most of inventory without too much trouble. One of the managers then comes up to me and tells me that I need to go home because I've passed 40 hours, when they send me home I had clocked my normal shift hours and essentially just switched shifts. Which seemed very disorganized to me.

My industry experience as a Freelance Makeup Artist was not recognized, nor valued once hired, even though according to the hiring manager that was the premise of
  more... me getting hired to begin with since I didn't have previous retail experience. My knowledge and skillset was often put on the back burner while generally being placed behind a register rather than on the floor assisting guests.

I eventually got to the point where I was paying to go to work because they drastically cut my hours for no reason, as I was always hitting sales goals or exceeding them. This was one of the major reasons I ended up leaving. In two weeks time my hours went from 40 to 4.

Managment was horribly unprofessional, between the gossiping and highschool drama type antics it became quite uncomfortable to work there. Management would smile to your face while saying the most awful things about you behind your back. I had freelancers from some of the brands telling me to be careful as some of the managment staff was saying things to them about myself. I ended up being black listed and no longer employable with the company because I quit due to the hours being cut so drastically.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Midwest City, OK 73130March 19, 2019
Friendly environment , I was in charge of operations of approximately 36 team members. My job was to build a well trained team. Responsibilities include but not limited to thr imports and exports of commercial goods, executing details passed down from Company.
531 is a joke
Brow Expert (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMarch 19, 2019
Let me first preface this by saying this review took quite some time to cultivate, as I’m typing it with my middle finger. That’s how much I loathe this place.

I was originally hired on as a full-time Brow Expert. I was told I’d have 35-40 hours a week, benefits, pto, 25% discount, etc. Within two months my hours were cut by 16+ hours a paycheck, threatening my health insurance I need to survive. That’s not even the worst part. The GM is the absolute laziest person I’ve ever encountered. For some reason or another, she believes she can successfully manage the store by never leaving the office. In the off chance she does, she completely and utterly disregards customers and pawns them off on the staff, even to the point of yelling across the store for someone else to help. Add that to the fact she quite literally has no idea how to perform in the beauty industry, she’s clearly lost and clueless. Which is yet another reason why she will pawn people off instead of helping.

This is also the same manager who repeatedly allowed the other Brow Expert to come in late, take the entire day off, and leave early on the days she would come in. This would leave me double booked most of the day, leaving me with rarely a chance to take a break or engage with customers on the floor like she insisted on. I was never able to focus on sales like they really wanted because I was constantly left to complete two appointment books of services by myself. I stayed busy, just not the way they wanted me to.

At the end of the fiscal year I received my service scores; an average of 4.95/5. Seems
  more... amazing right? No. As a “thank you” I was given a small bag of USED gratis. Seriously, used.

About a month or so into me working there, I was asked to fill in at a sistering Brow Bar location. I was told I’d be paid my hourly plus mileage. It took nearly two months to be paid my hourly rate, and after multiple attempts (roughly 12 submissions in the system) I still have not been paid the $75 in mileage I am owed. She claimed she never received it for approval, but somehow knew they were separate amounts and could not be approved that way. How’d she know that if she “never received it”? I’ve also since learned that several people have never been paid the money the were promised for mileage.

Before I left we were scheduled for a corporate event to promote our new launch product. Corporate events have always included store-wide involvement to get people interested and signed up, not limited to sign-up tables, associate advocacy at the registers, both at the front of the store and the salon. The sign-up table was taken down twice and I was told by several associates the GM had told them not to sign anyone up because it was my job alone to do that. She did this, but would complain about my sales and lack of customer engagement on the sales floor. Makes total sense.

This just scratches the surface. I could write a book about how and why this place sucks so hard. But I’ll spare you.

While I cannot speak of other locations, I do know that if you ever consider applying to this one, slap yourself in the face, snap out of it, and run as fast as you can. There are amazing people here, but the GM is not one of them.
Fun workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 19, 2019
It was a great environment. Co-workers were friendly and willing to help if asked upon. Fast paced job for the most part. Customers were very friendly.
Pros
Discounts
Positive and Enriching environment
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, RIMarch 19, 2019
As a beauty fanatic Ulta is the perfect place to work part-time. It is a job where I can use my passion for cosmetics and the beauty industry while not having to have a full career. I would recommend the company to anyone that has a passion for the industry and is looking for a job that can balance with a busy life.
Unfortunately Fixed System
Retail Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYMarch 19, 2019
Management at the district level made all of the decisions. Forced to work off the clock. Store management worked when she felt like it but took credit from all management. Very little training when beginning. Nice discount and environment to work in but upper management made it difficult. I watched multiple people get fired in 6 months due to tardiness, however. It came down to favoritism. Would be a great company to work for if the management was fixed.
Pros
Salary, discount
Cons
Working off clock, management
I liked the job. I just cleaned the floors & rest room before the store opened 5 days per week.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  In Arbor Lakes shopping senter.March 19, 2019
The Store was a nice store & the employees I worked with were nice.I did supply store with a small vacuum broom which was more appropriate for doing the floors & kept dust from floors going to counter tops. I needed a Knee Replacement & had to take a 6 months leave of absence.
Pros
Store was close to home.
Cons
Needed a Knee Replacement & took a 6 mos. leave of absence.
Fun place if not looking for a permanent thing
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 18, 2019
Managers have favorites, and promote them , if you are looking for a full time, unless you have a specialty area or are a manager you wont get many hours, atleast not enough to depend on if that is what you are looking for.
Pros
Prestige advisors get gratis
Cons
no hours
Productive and fun work environment
Advisor/Fragrance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COMarch 18, 2019
It was an incredible feeling being able to provide excellent customer service every shift, while having great coworkers as wonderful teammate at Ulta.
Pros
Discounts, Early access to new products
Cons
No benefits, underpaid, no paid or sick vacation days
So happy working for Ulta
Ulta Beauty - Prestige Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Davie, FLMarch 18, 2019
Happy environment, great management, great company to work for. Pay is low and all employees are overall under paid. Sent on a lot of trainings, free products often.
A great place to work!
Esthetician (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 18, 2019
You always had something to do, to help on the floor. Salon team helped build clientele for others. Felt more like hanging out with friends than working.
Pros
Discounts, fun, relaxing
Cons
Not able to do more services I wanted to learn

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ulta. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K
41.2K
31K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP10%
In the Top 10% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Ulta.

Powered by Comparably