Ulta Employee Reviews

Bad work/life balance
Warehouse Management Systems Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 25, 2018
Good company overall but culture has a lot of work to get it up to par. Need a lot of help with leadership to associate Interaction. Work life balance does not exist.
Ulta beauty
Prestige Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Clark, NJApril 24, 2018
Ulta is a great place to work at with great culture. With the right management and the right team this place is a charm to work at. I NEVER went to work thinking it was a drag. Everyday was amazing. Nothing is better than going to work not only in a place of beautiful culture which promotes your work ethic but a place that also allows you to practice what you're passionate about.
Creative space
Beauty Adviser, Cashier and Stock (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIApril 24, 2018
Never a dull moment and teamwork is a huge part of making this job work for you. Managers are very positive and outgoing, high traffic locations can get stressful during holiday.
Cons
Low pay
Best job I’ve ever had!
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  IllinoisApril 24, 2018
Working at Ulta is a great experience for those who are passionate about the beauty industry. You meet great people (employees and customers) and create strong relationships! I was fortunate to work at a store where management was truly amazing and fellow employees weren’t snobby! Don’t get me wrong, with any retail job comes stress and hard work, but all in all, best job I’ve ever had, I regret not being there to this day, I would’ve loved to advance in the company!
Pros
Great discount
Fun and informative but stressful
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 24, 2018
As you can imagine, working with all women can either be a blessing or curse. With particular company, it's both. The hiring system needs an overhaul but it is a wonderful place to work and learn about your favorite brands. I enjoy working at Ulta very much despite some of the cons.
Pros
Learning Experiences
Cons
No Vacation Time
Steady work pace
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAApril 24, 2018
It's most busy not the weekends but talking bout makeup all day with customers is never anything bad. The hardest part of the job is stocking in the morning because you don't always have time.
Stressful and Fast paced.
Merchandise Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Paradise Valley, AZApril 23, 2018
I was taken advantage of because this was my first job. Meaning, they made me work more because I was getting paid less. I was working 38-39 hour weeks but was still not "full time" and didn't receive any of the benefits. I've been working there for almost 3 years now and have only received two raises of LESS than a dollar.
Pros
co workers, discount
Cons
everything else
fun
Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisApril 23, 2018
very fun place to work got to learn a lot. The staff is outgoing and management was good. Get to try lots of new things. Got informed of all the new product that came out.
The Company Policies are Ridiculous
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  DublinApril 23, 2018
The managers would tell us put returned and used product back on the shelf to resell to keep our return losses low. Coworkers would use fake phone numbers to keep their memberships enrollment high. It was honestly not a good environment that wouldn't train you properly then reprimand you for not being trained.
Productive and fun place to work!
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Spanaway, WAApril 23, 2018
I enjoy working at ulta meeting new customers each day! It is a fast paced environment with new exciting promotions and products to learn about each day!
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Limited hours
Great work environment with room to grow.
IT Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILApril 23, 2018
Friendly, safe environment with potential opportunities to grow within the corporation. Usual work day depends on the department, but the main focus is to ensure the company provides a safe and efficient experience for Retail customers.
Loved It
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCApril 23, 2018
A typical day at work for a beauty advisor is stocking floor and cashier. Most times you walk into work and I would always get their early so I wasn't allowed to clock in until it was my time so I could go around see what needed to be done. I would then clock in at my time and take my attention where it was directed by a manager or where I saw fit. It terms of helping out customers, a lot of beauty advisors don't really do much of that unless you make it a point to. I loved talking to customers and helping them out so I often found myself helping the customers out as often as possible. There are also gifts with purchases you would need to remember to give the guest the their purchases qualified.
Pros
Easy to Pick up hours, discount, good pay
Cons
short shifts if you're part time
Favorites played
Associate (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXApril 23, 2018
The local store and current GM was always playing favorites not to mention everyone knew who was getting in trouble and for what reasons. She could never keep confidential information confidential. Some of the employees talked down to management and because they were favorites of the GM nothing was ever done about it. Until the GM is replaced I wouldn't recommend working there.
Pros
discount
Cons
GM playing favorites and confidential things do not stay that way
ulta
Cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTApril 23, 2018
it was a okay place to work, the hours was slim but it was temporary. A typical day it was medium pace, the manager was okay, i enjoyed more than anything interacting with customers an making sure they were satisfied before leaving.
Good place to work if you don't have children
SALON MANAGER/RECRUITER (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, GAApril 23, 2018
Its retail so be prepared to work crazy hours, the pay is good if you're in management, otherwise it's a high turnover because of the hours and which department you're in.
Pros
good pay for management
Cons
unrealistic expectations and no work life balance
Warm Welcoming Staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAApril 22, 2018
A typical day at Ulta was assisting and greeting customers. The hardest part of the job was doing color matches because its nerve wrecking if you select the wrong shade for the customer. The most enjoyable part of my job was asking the customers about their skin types and recommended certain products for each of those particular skin type.
awful management
Prestige Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ORApril 22, 2018
I think this place has really bad managers who don't take care of their associates and have a difficult time communicating with the staff they also have a ridiculous amount of rules that don't really make sense.
Ulta
Beauty Advisor/ Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, CAApril 22, 2018
Ulta is not bad at all for a retail job, but that is what it is. Loved my coworkers, some managers. Pay is higher than some retail jobs. hours are not fair.
Cons
hours.
its a great place to shop but not so great to work
Prestige Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXApril 22, 2018
I really did not enjoy working for this company it was very clique-y and the management was almost non existent. This is a wonderful place to shop, tons of awesome products but staff/management is less than that.
Fun place to work, just need to make a bit more money
Lead Cashier/Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLApril 21, 2018
I love working for Ulta, it is a wonderful environment, I just can't afford to pay all of my bills with the hours I'm working. I would love to stay, and I definitely will if I can find another place of employment to work with my hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ulta. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

77out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Ulta.