Ulta Employee Reviews

Found 3,724 reviews matching the search See all 3,731 reviews
Fast pace fun and knowledge based
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLSeptember 19, 2018
Ulta was all about keeping their associates in the know.
Growth was always available via training videos and consultation
10/10 would work there again.

I truly started from the bottom and worked my way up to a supervision position in less than a year.
My managers were very hands on and helpful. "there is nothing that we know, that you shouldn't know"
The hours would get a little out of control occasionally when we were understaffed but all and all, I enjoyed the environment.
Pros
company parties, classes, great atmosphere, Gratis
Cons
long shifts, understaffed
I loved make up
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CASeptember 19, 2018
Working at Ulta for me was like a dream come , because I love makeup so. My experience for Ulta was cool stressful and the best job I had. The managers were cool and the staff was cool I just didn't like the rude customers.
Pros
Being around make up
Cons
Rude customers
Ulta has potential
Lead Cashier (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GASeptember 19, 2018
Ulta is a relatively new company and they are trying to figure out everything. Ulta has great potential to be an amazing company to work for, but they are not there yet. The opportunities for advancement are rigged by local management. The beauty advisors are usually overworked and underpaid. There needs to be better management training and the upper management needs to be more involved in making sure the store managers are actually doing what they are supposed to do. I have met lifelong friends from co-workers and customers. It can be a fun job if you love beauty and interacting with customers.
Pros
flexible hours, discount
Cons
short breaks, no sick days, short shifts
Be ready
Retail Sales Manager (RSM) (Former Employee) –  WisconsinSeptember 19, 2018
Be ready to do a lot and not be appreciated. This store has so much turn over, it’s hard to keep up. They expect you to do anything and everything. They keep changing the rules. There is no consistency. When I started, I liked working here. They just keep changing things in an effort to make them better, they only make them worse.
Competitive and overall unenjoyable
Ulta / Cashier- Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNSeptember 19, 2018
I worked at Ulta for almost a year. None of my coworkers knew my name or talked to me. My typical hours for one work day were 4 or less hours a day and I never got more then 10 hours a week even after countless times of asking for a full time position here. I even applied as a manager and tried asking for education opportunities and was refused multiple times. Employees are always leaving so there are constantly new people working here with little training.
Pros
discounts
great place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 18, 2018
I love working for a company that follows their core values. With the growth of the company, there are lots of opportunities. Would love to see the company expand into more locations.
great place to work
Seasonal Beauty Associate (Former Employee) –  Papillion, NESeptember 18, 2018
great place to work. Everyone was extremely nice and helped show me how to do everything and showed me the whole layout of the store so I was comfortable working there.
Fun place to work for makeup lovers.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 18, 2018
Not a bad place to work. A little unorganized and not much room for advancement or raises. Hardest part of the job was having to stay late at night or come in very early in the mornings for stock and getting ready for the holidays.
Pros
Breaks every four hours and pretty nice coworkers
Cons
Scheduling
productive
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILSeptember 18, 2018
I always had a productive day at work whether or not I was at the registers or doing labor work around the store I was always doing something. I always liked doing work because it made time go faster and I felt satisfied when I did a lot of work. Most of the time the hardest part of the job, when there really was problems was the problematic customers. You always have to try to make the customer feel better and help them but in some situations it was very hard to help them and or tell them what they want to hear because sometimes its not my place as a beauty advisor to lets say give them a discount just because they think they should get it, that's the managers job to decide that.
It was decent
Benefit Arch Expert (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 18, 2018
I loved my job, however there is no advancement opportunities. I would ask to be notified if there were any ways for me to get more hours but they never did. Hours I earned by meeting sells goals would consistently be given away to other people. I never received any benefits/rewards from my hard work.

Want to know more about Ulta?

Ask a question
fun place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chino Hills, CASeptember 18, 2018
I enjoyed working at Ulta, but I left since I got promoted to Bar at Buffalo Wild Wings. I started making better money at Buffalo Wild Wings, since Ulta is only the minimum wage.
Pros
half off meals, great managers, flexible hours
Cons
no health care
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CASeptember 18, 2018
Great Company, motivated leadership that help you learn and succeed in the beauty industry. Many possibilities for growth. They also offer flexible schedules.
Managment needs upgrades
Lead beauty advisor (Former Employee) –  Reading, PASeptember 17, 2018
After working at Ulta for some time I realized they don't offer the best compensation for the jobs you do.you will earn minimum wage even if you're full time which is not ideal.
Can be a great place.
Lancome Counter Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington StateSeptember 17, 2018
Can be a great place to work, Depending on Management. If you have good management it is amazing. When you have bad management you will hate working for Ulta.
Pros
Fun Place to work
Cons
Low pay, Little training
consistant education/training
ESTHETICIAN (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CASeptember 17, 2018
Ulta is really great about continuing education and training which ends up benefitting everyone. They are also great about your knowing as much as you can about all of the brands through training and giving gratis to their employees.
Not what you think
Beauty advisor (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLSeptember 17, 2018
A lot of people apply because they believe they’ll get to do makeup on customers and practice their skills. Not like that at all unless you work for the boutique. If you’re at the register, no matter how good you are, it’s very hard for them to advance you or give you a promotion, let alone a raise. I moved an hour away and kept working in hopes of getting either, but I was told it wasn’t their fault that I moved in the middle of nowhere, and that there’s nothing they could do for me. I was a loyal employee for about a year, my numbers were awesome, and I loved working with the customers. Only reason I left was because I spent more money going there that I was making. It wasn’t worth my time.
Fun work place, in need of stronger managment
Merchandise Coordinator (Current Employee) –  HopkinsvilleSeptember 17, 2018
I have really enjoyed working with Ulta for the most part. The atmosphere is always so fun and friendly. There was always something to do, even on our slow days, so the work felt meaningful. I’ve learned and grown myself since being able to step into a managment position, being supported by my colleagues. I’ve been through quite a bit of change in managment, so I’ve built up a skill set on how to work with and around change, and through a big transition. The hardest part was learning how to help myself. Sometimes I was the only manager there, and I had to use the tools available for me to problem solve a lot. Overall I am very grateful for the experiences and skills I have retained from working with Ulta.
Pros
Free product, growth opportunities
Cons
Crazy hours
Worked with there where house
Prep line (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 17, 2018
Runs tight shift, trust to make work fun by being competitive and being rewarded in the end. The manager is always understanding they also provide the supplies
Very busy, espically during peak season, but easy going.
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PASeptember 16, 2018
I worked as a packer and scanned items in. I learned how to use a hand scanner. The managment was very laid back and very easy to work with if you had any questions. The hardest part of the job was during peak season, when it was mandatory that you work 6 out 7 days per week, 12 hour shifts. The most enjoyable part of my job was the managment and working close to your peers to get the job done.
easy laid back work days
Operations Manager/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXSeptember 15, 2018
I think that all mangers make a difference and that store manager at the time was awesome. she taught me lots and helped me to grow. I had the freedom to create and train a team with no turn over... I left because corporate said they weren't giving anymore raises and It was time to grow
Pros
getting vender promos
Cons
dealing with yoga pant wives

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ulta. Our community is ready to answer.

41K

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight