Ulta Employee Reviews

Found 4,811 reviews matching the search See all 4,823 reviews
Worst company ever for hairstylist
Senior Designer/Colorist (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAJune 24, 2019
This company micro manages at a level that is unreal they expect blind and unflinching loyalty to the company they want your entire life to revolve around your job with the company
Lots of busy work
Benefit Arch expert (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXJune 24, 2019
Great place if you love makeup but the managers can really make or break the job. If you were caught talking to another associate you were given 4 other tasks on top of your 30 other tasks for the day as well as maintaining your sales for that day and the managers would get mad if you didn't maintain your sales goals. They get mad if you're full time and try to take a sick day and even make you find someone to work for you even through you give them months vacation notice. Just another corporate chain that only cares if you make them money.
Ulta Beauty
Cashier Lead (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 24, 2019
As a college student, I used to love Ulta. But hours began to be cut. I also was working at Ulta for 4 years, I had to fight to get a high position, and I was only given a 25 cent raise. I worked over time constantly, and did above and beyond what I was asked to do. I was working over and over beyond what I needed to, and I was not shown appreciation or a raise or anything of the sorts. But other works that were newly hired were being paid more. Managers were not on the same page and some workers were being overworked compared to other workers.
Fast Track
Service District Educator (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 24, 2019
I was there 6 months and was promoted from salon manager to service district educator with a new role as the texture expert for the South Central Region.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Short breaks
Great Culture
Associate Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 23, 2019
When I worked for Ulta, I enjoyed the company because of their values. They always were inclusive with the employees and try to make them feel appreciated.
Very stressful. Don’t feel safe due to all the thefts.
Retail Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Desert Ridge, AZJune 23, 2019
Started working at ulta as a retail sales manager. First management position. Very stressful. No work life balance. Forced to quit, had no options. Never again. I appreciate the opportunity but it’s not a good place to work. You don’t feel appreciated at all. They just care about money and that’s it. They don’t care about there employees and it’s a high turn over.
Pros
Decent pay but definitely not enough. Fun to play with makeup.
Cons
short breaks. No work life balance. Stressful. Toxic work environment.
Stressful and discriminatory
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COJune 23, 2019
Terrible Leadership, not a place to recommend to anyone. Gm would bully employees in areas that had no cameras. Gm would also make racist comments and contributed to a low morale. Never demonstrated Core Values that company wanted employees to have.
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
Stressful and Racist
I was only seasonal
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJune 22, 2019
I was only a seasonal worker, so I do not have all the answers. From the little time I did work there, I honestly did not like it. Management was not the greatest at the time, but I've heard that it has improved greatly.
Fast paced and exciting company
SALES CONSULTANT/MAKEUP ARTIST (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJune 22, 2019
Enjoyed my time at Ulta but was only a stepping stone to my career ahead. I would recommend this place to new comers wanting to explore retail and the sales profession.
Fun place to work
General Manager (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaJune 22, 2019
Fun place to work. Saturday’s are the best usually allot of vendors who help sell their products and we learn so much from them

If a manager you work allot of hours but mostly around the holidays
Pay for managers good and bonus’s are ok.
Ops and merchandise managers are hourly and the pay really needs to improve
Prestige managers make more than the managers running the building at least it use to be that way
Over all if your a general manager your ok
Somewhere between fun and stressful
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 22, 2019
Where you're placed, is based on where they need you at. But you can work your way up ,by showing them you know your stuff, within the floor and yes, you will work the cash wrap. Very diverse working environment. Start off as part time and to get more hours they will till you to get more ppl to get the Ulta beauty credit cards.
Ulta was a fun job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Southaven, MSJune 22, 2019
It was a great job to have if you are a high school student. This job does not offer enough hours. If you have real monthly bills, this is definitely not the job for you.
Fun place to work
Salon manager, Ulta Beauty (Former Employee) –  Warminster, PAJune 22, 2019
Fun place to work but certain management will ruin the business They always hire management that doesn’t work or just sits in the office all day
I worked there for three years and loved it until they hired a manager that did nothing but belittle your team. When I left my whole team left over ONE person
Great for Growth
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 22, 2019
I absolutely love being apart of the Ulta Beauty team. Your hard work is always acknowledged by your managers. I couldn’t ask for a better company to work for. My goal is to grow within the company and make my career the best of it.
Productive and fun workplace. Opportunity to learn and grow with the company.
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJune 21, 2019
On a typical work day, we create exciting guest experience, sort new products to display, make guest aware of promotions and discounts on certain products, and focus on sales goals. I have learned how to create an overall outstanding guest experience while being able to assist customers with special finds. Friendly, creative culture, very supportive team work. Most enjoyable parts for me was color matching guests to new makeup and suggesting new products to add to their collections. I over loved my managers, they were fun and assertive at the same time. Passionate about getting things done and ensuring they were done in a timely manner.
A decent retail experience
Merchandise and Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cutler Bay, FLJune 21, 2019
I was well liked by my interview staff and was brought on quickly. They were very good about me being a younger employee in a management role, although much of the staff was not. The company overall is great and any of the cumbersome corporate rules come from a good place. Your experience is likely to depend on the team that has been cultivated and your direct supervisors ability to keep the peace and weed out bad eggs.
Pros
Great Locations, Good Discounts
Cons
Low wages, standing for entire shift
Highly stressful
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoover, AlabamaJune 21, 2019
I worked as a salon manager. They gave me only two weeks of training, but I was promised six weeks of training. The stylists that worked under me didn't like me from the moment they were introduced to me. They all called in a lot and took vacations and they would go over my head, instead of speaking with me about an issue or concern.
The other store managers were against me as well. They would tell me how to do my job and gossiped amongst one another.
Pros
Pay, benefit, and gratis
Cons
Short meal breaks, rude customers, lack of teamwork
Was fun at first
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 21, 2019
I enjoyed my time at ulta for about the first 3 months but then managers started picking favorites, the coworkers would pick on you and HR was absolutely no help. Ultimately I was forced to quit due to being so unhappy. I would not recommend anyone to work here.
Productive and Fun
Lead Cashier- Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COJune 20, 2019
A typical day at work would include stocking, organizing, greeting and fulfilling the needs of customers on a timely, yet balanced schedule. The hardest part about working for Ulta is unloading damaged shipments. The most enjoyable part is bringing back prior customers and seeing how happy we can truly make them as a team.
No where to move
Prestige Lead Beauty Adviser (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZJune 20, 2019
Parts of the job are really fun, like doing brand events and learning people skills for retail, but there's no room for growth. Put in years worth of work for a position to not even be considered an option to apply. Loved the helping the costumers out though.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Wishy washy management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ulta. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K
41.3K
31.1K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP15%
In the Top 15% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Ulta.

Powered by Comparably