UMass Medical School Culture reviews

Very professional
Pharmacy Associate (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAOctober 8, 2018
Love having the option to work from home, reliable team great communication between staff and leadership. Great state benefits along with paid holidays
nice working env
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 13, 2018
Really nice working environment. The main building is new and fancy. People are nice there. Convenient food court. Always have many inspiring seminar hosted by different departments
Productive and fun working place.
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 6, 2018
The atmosphere is friendly. Team works together in a productive manner. I learned genotyping, western blotting, PCR, RNA purification, cell culture and various life skills there.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 27, 2018
I am very happy with UMASS medical school research environment, work culture and management. This is a wonderful place for high quality basic and translational research.
Very laid back and relaxing environment
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 2, 2018
I learned how to use new machines that was only 3 in nation. Workplace culture was mixed and had great time learning their cultures. The hardest part of the job was when I had to go in early everyday to help our animal technician person.
great benefits
Administrative Coordinator II - (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 14, 2018
UMass can be a great place to work in depending on what department you are working in. Most departments and people are very pleasant and hard working.
Incredible staff and faculty who only want to see you and the institution succeed.
ADMINISTRATIVE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAJanuary 22, 2018
This job has been invaluable to me. My director is supportive, yet has given me room to grow. I have been guided, but not smothered or overtly managed. UMass Medical School cares for its employees. I've personally witnessed what its leaders have done for workers such as myself, who are just starting out and in need of guidance, trust, and a competitive salary to keep themselves going.
Integrated Care Programs Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 8, 2017
Some of the pros:
Overall good place to work.
Work culture: Open to different people; Immigrants are welcome.
Good work and life balance.
Cons:
Most of the positions are located in Worcester. (But some positions are located downtown Boston.)
fun people
Clinical Reviewer 2 (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAApril 21, 2017
Very conducive environment, fun and professional people to work with. Very attractive benefits. Friendly staff. I would love to work here forever. Would recommend to everyone.
Clinical Reviewer II (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAApril 20, 2017
The culture here is one of caring and nurturing. Also there is great respect for each other and different cultures. I have yet to hear anyone complaining.
Pros
Open and friendly
Cons
Stable job with work/life balance
Developer (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 23, 2017
Great benefits and great people to work with; stable job with opportunity to work on various projects; agile /scrum culture; could improve in implementing new technologies;
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Lack of career advancement opportunities
Applications Database Developer III (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MADecember 15, 2016
I stayed here for over 6 years so I would say it is a good company and you don't get swamped with too much work and you get to work in a team so you may end up learning a bit more.
Pros
Traditional IT framework as well
Cons
Culture should improve
Excellent work environment
Case Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MASeptember 14, 2015
Nice, professional people work here and they really care about their work. Need more opportunities for advancement for people who work hard.
Pros
Great work/life balance
Cons
Advancement based somewhat on politics
Productive and fun place to work
HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAJune 1, 2015
I enjoyed working there very much, I enjoyed learning new things and meeting new people!! We had group luncheons and celebrated Birthdays.
Pros
Close by and convenient to get to
Cons
no breaks and no pay increases
Wonderful place to work. Challenging work. People are very helpful.
Administrative Support Temp Work (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 19, 2015
Checking emails and responding to them. Dealing with the faculty and students. Organizing individual sessions. Preparing handouts for different meetings and sessions. Making sure that the sessions were covered by the faculty. Co-workers are always willing to help and teach. The hardest part is that there isn't enough time in a day. The most enjoyable part is that it very rewarding and challenging.
Pros
Great work environment. People are really nice.
Productive and fun workday with team oriented people like myself :)
Senior Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAMarch 25, 2014
I get to work say hello to everyone and get started with my day. I learned Data Entry and the manager was very informative. I didn't have an interview I just went to this job and started working and I did very well I must say. My co-workers there were very helpful and friendly. The hardest part of the job was leaving after getting to know people there. I enjoyed going to work everyday working independently and getting the job done. I really enjoyed working for Umass Medical and would go work there again if I had the opportunity in the future.
Exceptionally kind, professional colleagues
CGI Consultant (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAJanuary 29, 2014
I feel very fortunate to work for CGI, as it is the best culture of any company that I have worked for. My colleagues are all very professional yet so very friendly and kind.
Large Company - Small Department feel
Project Coordinator/Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MANovember 25, 2013
Initially, I enjoyed the culture of the company. However, after upper management changed 3 times, so did the culture. I was however, part of a small group of individuals that made the organization feel like a small company, which was nice. Although the company was very large, being part of the 'small' group I could see where I had an impact on the company. I enjoyed being part of the project I was working on. Everyday I experienced something new and was continuously multi-tasking, which I enjoy.
Pros
Working on a very important project, which allowed my to multi-tasking and utilize the majority of my skills.
Cons
Frequent change in upper management. Eliminating consultants.
fun workplace
LPN (Former Employee) –  Shirley, MASeptember 13, 2013
was a great place to work, with great staff. good team work shown
Pros
cheap lunches
Cons
working with inmates
Worse job I ever had
Technical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlestown, MAFebruary 14, 2013
UMASS is divided up into many smaller units each with their own structure and culture. There's a lack of leadership guiding the units so the directors of each unit does whatever they want without repercussion from upper management or human resource. If you're fortunate enough to fall into the correct unit then the job here should be fine, but if not, run. Run and don't look back. This place is a career killer. Job advancement and movements within the organization is nonexistent. Gossip, drama, and backstabbing is high and encouraged. The turnover rate is high, I've seen half my unit fired or quit in 2 different instances in 2 years (a unit of 15 people). I wouldn't wish employment here on my worse enemy.
Pros
plenty of vacation time, holidays, sick time. easy job.
Cons
high turnover rate, too much drama, poor management, hr always sides with management, lack of leadership and direction from up top, poorly structured organization

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UMass Medical School. Our community is ready to answer.